Wednesday, October 12, 2005

And it's time to go...

Breaking up is so hard to do.

Breaking up with a favourite author, whose books you love, is just as hard.

Over the years, I’ve been disappointed with some of the authors I used to love and I no longer buy, or even read, any of their new works.

Authors such as:

Judith McNaught. Ever since you stopped writing historicals, I stopped reading. I disliked Night Whispers so much I’ve never picked up another of your books.

Julie Garwood. Ditto McNaught, but this time insert Heartbreaker.

Linda Howard. It pains me (dramatic pause) to admit this, but where is the Linda Howard I love? Your newer stuff just isn’t doing it for me. Well written, yes, but I miss your older style.

Laurell K Hamilton. Oh, how I loved the Anita Blake books. Here was a dark book, with a kick arse heroine. Well written, bloody, gory and fun. But then you started to go all weird with the love triangle between Richard and Jean Claude and that ardour shit. LKH, you lost me (and many fans) at Obsidian Butterfly. I loved Edward, the psychopathic fucked up killer, more than Anita. I’ve never read any of the subsequent books.

Jayne Ann Krentz. Sister, your earlier stuff (Trust Me, Silver Linings, Perfect Partners, Grand Passion, Absolutely Positively) totally rocked. But somehow, somewhere, at the start of the new millennium, you lost me. I think it was with Eclipse Bay. I miss your quirky heroines, your sometimes geeky heroes (Sam in Trust Me, for example) and the Seattle setting. I haven’t read a JAK book since 2000.

(Dis)-Honorable mentions go to:

Rachel Gibson. You used to write funny books. What happened?
Susan Anderson. You used to write funny and sexy stories. What happened?
Lisa Kleypas. You used to write lush and strong characters. What happened?

Labels: ,


3 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

Yes! Thank you! What happened to these authors? Such a waste. I'm still hoping someone would hurl McNaught and Garwood one of their recent books and hit them head at the head. Might wake them up.

10/13/2005 09:35:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can add Karen Robards to the list. She used to be an auto buy for me until BEACHCOMBER.

10/19/2005 02:09:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear JM. I agree--I HATED Night Whispers and put her stuff down for a long time because of it. I just went on a binge, though, for the first time in years and re-read all my favs. I also ventured into reading her latest, Every Breath You Take, which I'm sorry to say also sucked hard. HOWEVER, I borrowed my little sis' copy of Someone To Watch Over Me. It's no Paradise, but it's no Tender Triumph either. I'd say it's just a notch above Night Whispers, but a notch enough to make it read-able. Give it a shot.

9/04/2006 01:01:00 AM