Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"I'm so rotten, they don't even have a word for it. I'm bad. Baddy bad bad bad. Does it make you horny?"**

How can I resist vampires when Buffy herself fell in love with one? I’m talking about Angel not the spiky wimpy one with the chip and got his soul back so that made him Buffy’s soulmate and let’s just all call him Angel II, okay?!? Blech.

Er, what I’m trying to say is, vampires are uber hot! :P That’s why they’re everywhere in romance fiction: from TV to movies, to comics to books.

Hmmm...

Let’s talk about the appeal of vampire romance, shall we?

The hero. Vampire romances usually feature a male vampire with a female human heroine. These male vampires are the ultimate alpha males: dangerous, domineering, possessive, territorial, physically strong (stamina, stamina, stamina—oh my!) and sexually aggressive. The feminist in me rebels in this but my harloty heart purrs, “Me-oww. Gimmeeee!!!” (I do love bad, bad, bad boys. *g*)

The thing with vampires, they will never be completely redeemed. (Spike, y’hear that, you wimp?!) But truly, it doesn’t matter as they’re better persons because of luuurve. They’re the ones who love to the depth of their souls and that makes them, ohhh... absolutely, compellingly glorious. (NOTE: Any instantly redeemed vampires should be staked down at once for being such a sissy. Die, Spike, die!)

Versatile. Nothing can be more versatile than vampires. They can be historical, contemporary, futuristic, time-travelers. They can be royalty, half-breed children (born to a vampire-human parent), spies, circus performers... They have supernatural powers like hypnosis, telepathy, shape-shifting... Honestly, vampires have more flavors than Baskin-Robbins!

Conflict, torture and angst. The power of the vampires is counterbalanced by the torment they experience. More often than not, this torment can only be ended by great sacrifices. When I say “great” I mean something akin to climbing Mt. Everest without any gear on just so he could rip his unbeating heart from his chest and stomp it into the top of the damn mountain.

Now, common sufferings include: self-acceptance, unwillingness to kill, reluctance to become involved with a human, the hero’s strength and protectiveness of the heroine. Add those to the outside forces trying to destroy the couple while the hero resists drinking his honeybunnie’s blood! *breathe* (And you think you have a problem?) Of course, he’ll NEVER harm the heroine. He’ll do anything to protect her because she’s the center of his wretched existence and hurting her is equivalent to spoiling the only worthy thing in his life. Ah, *sigh* the power of romance...

Sexy and erotic. They get fangs, you get horny LOL. Vampires and eroticism always go hand in hand. Aye, it’s a rule written in someone’s coffin somewhere. Forbidden, passionate, beautiful and impure as the driven yellow snow. Their stories always ooze with desire that twists your insides into some perverse pretzel of kink and you’ll be born again in the waters of all things unholy! Halleluiah!

You have to ask though, is vampire lovin’ considered necrophilia? Or, maybe not. They’re not actually dead but undead... :/ But, er, what’s the difference? *confused*

Myth. Since they’re not humans per se, vampires have different social structures, laws, and tons of secret societies which all contribute to a fascinating story. And, oh, almost forgot that itty bitty thingy: vampires live forever. *g*

How about you, do you like vampire romances? If not, *gasp* why the hell not?!? I mean—you, hot vampire, cozy little tomb with a view... Perfect, isn’t it? ;)

**Anya on Buffy the Vampire Slayer


Related:

Labels: ,


30 comment(s):

Blogger ... said...

Vampire heroes in romance are too tame. I never really get the sense that they're going to go all Angelus on the heroine (have there been stories with female vampires and male humans?) and, really, the vampire part is only there for insta!angst and brood and tortured-soul.

Er, possibly I've OD'd on vampires who aren't really vampires, but are the average or typical romance hero with a bit of a sunlight problem.

But I still love Sunshine by Robin McKinley (and the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, although those vampires almost don't count because they're so unvampire-like).

As for Spike... well, I still love him. :D Not as much as I love Angel(us), but I quite like Captain Peroxide.

7/10/2007 03:50:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Dance, *gasp* you LIKE Spike?!?

:/

I don't think we can be friends anymore... (Though i know what you mean about "fake" vampires.)

Speaking of Twilight, i have something about it tomorrow. :D

7/10/2007 04:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Love Vampire stories! I've read all the Anne Rice books, Twilight and New Moon, and just finished The Historian. Two that don't follow the dominant male vampire role and have a very confident, feminist female lead are Bloodsucking Fiends and the sequel, You Suck. They both have romance and sex in them.

7/10/2007 04:12:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Anon, i loved Anne Rice earlier books. Now, Stephenie Meyer, i'm OBSESSED about her books. (I blame Dance!) Oh, Edward... *sigh* I cannot wait for Eclipse!

I've never heard of the two books you mentioned but i'll check them out. Thanks for the recs! :D

7/10/2007 04:19:00 PM  

Blogger Chipper said...

have they ever had an ugly vampire in a movie or on tv? I can't remember one...they are always super hot. I remember watching my first vampire movie and wishing I could be bitten by that hottie too!

7/10/2007 04:45:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! That vampire picture! He's pointing at me and asking "do I make you horny, baby?" lol

I love vampires whether in the movies or books. I was introduced to Stephenie Meyer's wonderful books because of you ladies. I love Edward Cullen too.

There is this vampire book I really didn't like: LL Miller's Forever and the Night. It's a bittersweet romance with one of the most frustrating endings I have ever read!

Olly

7/10/2007 05:13:00 PM  

Blogger Duvy said...

Ok, so I keep HEARING about it, but have no idea what Twilight is actually about! Details ladies!!

I love vampires myself, though I'm much more of a Lisa Jane Smith vampire lover. Mmm, especially Vampire Diaries.

There's also the Dark Angel trilogy by Meredith Anne Pierce, but he's not really smexy so much as creepy.

Suggest more titles please ^.^

7/10/2007 05:39:00 PM  

Blogger Duvy said...

Oh oh oh! I forgot to mention The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause. Read it ages ago, but love it!!!

7/10/2007 05:42:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Etchen!
I have one word for you: Nosferatu. ;)


Olly,
Glad you like the pic! May i say you sound like Austin Powers. LOL


God, Duvy,
I thought you read Twilight already? I sorta made a mission last January (heh :P) when we had it for BBC: each and every girl who loves our blog MUST read Twilight. Okay, email me now you heathen before i go to sleep. *hmph* (Seriously, Edward Cullen is To. Die. For. ;))

7/10/2007 05:55:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Harlot, you really have a way with words. :)

I really like Charlaine Harris and her Southern Vampire series (Sookie Stackhouse). Here they are in order:

- Dead Until Dark
- Living Dead in Dallas
- Club Dead
- Dead in Dixie
- Dead to the World
- Dead as a Doornail
- Dead By Day
- Definitely Dead
- All Together Dead

7/10/2007 06:12:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Duvy, you should really, really read Twilight. There are no words to describe this book. Thanks to the BBs' pushing (lol) I read it and the sequel New Moon and now I too am looking forward to reading Eclipse.

7/10/2007 06:15:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read J.R Wards vampire books and although some things make me want to rip my hair out I really like the main story with the Brothers and all. Dont get me wrong I really hate the way they speak, dress, what they listen to and even sometimes just how the author describes things.
Sherrilyn Kenyon books are good. Even though they are not technically "vampires" they kinda have the same attributes.
I loved Twilight. Haven't read the following books though :(

7/10/2007 06:21:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, yes :p

I forgot the Dark Hunters. Gabrielle, how come you haven't read New Moon? I think it's as good as Twilight. That one has werewolves :)

Olly

7/10/2007 07:20:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

I kinda equate vampires with great sex. Except with Spike. Like him but not as Buffy's partner.

But I love vampire novels to death! LOL!

But going back to the sex, I never thought I'd like a vampire book without it but I loved, loved, LOVED Twilight!

I am hounding the bookstore in the next two weeks to make sure they've got it ordered.

7/10/2007 09:13:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olly, trust me its not by choice. Book store doesnt have it and it will take ages to order in. I cant order it over Amazon because its just not possible.
I want to read it but I jsut dont have the energy to chase it up. Im horribly lazy :(

7/11/2007 12:50:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I loooooove vampire romance. On TV, Buffy still rules! In books, if it's a series, much better. That means I'll be able to read the stories of the secondary characters which in vampire books are usually interesting. I don't want it to go forever though. I think Kenyon's Dark Hunters have already gone long enough. I thought Ash's book will be the end of the series but according to SK's site, it's far from over.

7/11/2007 01:10:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I finally found the page where SK tells us how long the Dark Hunters series will be. Am I the only one who gets lost in SK's website?


As far as the series goes, we are currently in stage 1 of it. I see the entire series as one large, ongoing story that has 4 major parts.

The first part is Acheron.

Part 2 will be Savitar

Parts 3 and 4 involve characters the reader isn't yet familiar with.

http://www.dailyinquisitor.com/hunter/world.htm

7/11/2007 01:38:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I don't think i'd ever read JR Ward. After what Trollop told me about those reject hiphoppers who aspire to be the next K-Fed and talk like an idiot, euww. No. Sorry, i like sophisticated men. You feel me? *gag*


Menchie,
I asked FB to reserve me a copy of Eclipse. I will be hounding them too LOL just to make sure i'll get a copy before my birthday. I mean, really, it better arrive on time or else! :@


Gabrielle,
You're from Australia, right? I heard they have yet to release New Moon there. :( I'd like to help but i don't have a copy of that i could send. I'll try to get something for you ok, and will get back to you. :)


Jordis,
Are you telling me we're only on the first part of the series??? Jeez..


Okay, ladies, off i go. Be back later as i'm off to see Harry!!!! :D

7/11/2007 02:06:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I agree about vampires and great sex. When I read a vampire book, I expect to read something hot. It's amazing how much I loved Twilight when there is no sex in it.

I like MaryJanice Davidson's Betsy series. They are funny and witty. I don't buy them instantly however because most of her books come out first in hardcover and they are way expensive.

Good post! Funny pix. Lol

7/11/2007 03:29:00 AM  

Blogger nita said...

I eat up vamp stories like Ferrero Rocher.
I can't get enough of vamp movies, and I have an intense fear of growing old so if a vamp comes along and offers me eternal life and youth, I'm all for it beybeh.

7/11/2007 05:16:00 AM  

Blogger Stacia said...

Looove vampires, love love love! Although I feel kind of bad now because it seems my vampires are "fake". :-) In my defense, when I started writing them, angsty Feehan-esque vamps were everywhere and I was doing something different. :-)

As Babz said, it's the immortal thing, in large part. I mean, the idea of falling in love with a guy who can grant you eternal life is pretty cool. (Babz, I agree with you 100%--I'm furious at the idea I'll die someday, I think it's incredibly unfair and I want no part of it.)

Plus a guy who's been around that long is pretty much guaranteed to know what he's doing--in more ways than one. ;-)

7/11/2007 07:52:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot,
Yep I'm living in Australia and as usual we are behind on releases. I cant get anything.
But thanks for the offer of help! Thats really nice of you :D

7/11/2007 08:17:00 AM  

Blogger Rachel said...

As some of the ladies have said, the immortal beautiful man who will love you forever is the allure. I started with Anne Rice's books and until now, I still love bloodsuckers. ;-)

How come it's the undead who gets to live forever? I agree with December/Stacia, incredibly unfair!

7/11/2007 09:55:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I love vampires! All that blood drinking should disgust me but it doesn't. I'm not sure if it's because the guy doing the drinking is gorgeous (vampires usually are) or it is because it's understandable (acceptable?) seeing he is a vampire. (Doesn't say a lot about my judgment though, LOL!)

7/11/2007 02:27:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I love Charlaine Harris. Love her Sookie Stackhouse books. Sherrilyn Kenyon, Stephenie Meyer... There's this old book Sabella by Tanith Lee and I don't know where my copy is but I really liked that one. The heroine is reluctant vampire and men just can't resist her. The book is seductive, well-written and it's set in another world. I loved it.

7/11/2007 02:42:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I can't talk about vampire books without mentioning Twilight. God, I can't wait for Eclipse.

Now, I read some of Christine Feehan's Carpathians, didn't like them. I read one Amanda Ashley, didn't like it either. Sherrilyn Kenyon is a hit and miss wonder and Kresley Cole's writing I think is all over the place.

7/11/2007 04:41:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

There is a new author Lara Adrian and her books are being compared with J.R. Ward's. Anyone read her?

7/12/2007 03:01:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Lara Adrian? Are her heroes stupid gangsta rappers too? Oh oh oh! She has heroes named Vishwush and Phuck???

7/12/2007 07:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot! Lol!

Jolie, I've never heard of her. If she writes about hot vampires then please enlighten us. ;-)

Olly

7/12/2007 07:41:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lara Adrian's books were excellent. I fell in love with her books, Kiss of Midnight, and Kiss of Crimson. The third book, Midnight Awakening, will be out this November.

7/14/2007 11:03:00 AM