Saturday, February 3, 2007

Book Selection of the Month (February '07)

I wish I could make this announcement more interesting but I just woke up, my left foot is throbbing (hurt my pinky toe the other day *sniff*) and without hot choco my mind doesn’t work all that well (and I miss Trollop even when I just talk to her a few hours ago). Rambling, am I? Well, as much as I’d like to leave you with studmuffin down there and go back to sleep, I have to post our next BBC selection!

I have chosen a book everyone’s been requesting we discuss. Now, since I’m giving in, *g* y’all know, I’ll be expecting EVERYONE to participate on our discussion (I’ll be passing attendance!!! *angelic smile*) and that includes those who have yet to join our BBC. Heh. :P Really, you guys, it’s uber fun to discuss books—dontcha agree? ;D Oh, btw, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of you (geesh, so awards season of me) who chipped in with our verra verra successful Twilight discussion. Smooches, my lovely chicas. And yes... Edward. Is. MINE.

A-NY-WAY, I give you:



The Time Traveler’s Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger


A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare’s passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger’s cinematic storytelling that makes the novel’s unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant.


I know Xmas is over (just imagine it’s Xmas again LOL), but this is my fave review of the book:


“This is a seamless, soaring love story... I felt all of the wonderful emotions of having read an unabashed, brilliantly written love story... The Time Traveler’s Wife is not a Christmas story, but it is the perfect read for the holiday. Like the emotions of the season it will leave you laughing, crying, and babbling incoherently to your family and friends who will, no doubt, attempt to steal the book away when you aren’t looking. Be warned. Buy that special someone their own copy—now.” - The Sun Times


Good, huh? BBC discussion, as always, will start on the last Monday of the month (Feb 26). Here are some questions you should keep in mind while reading YOUR copy *g*:
  • Although Henry does the time traveling, Clare is equally impacted. How does she cope with his journeys and does she ultimately accept them?
  • Henry’s life is disrupted on multiple levels by spontaneous time travel. How does his career as a librarian offset his tumultuous disappearances? Why does that job appeal to Henry?
  • Henry and Clare know each other for years before they fall in love as adults. How does Clare cope with the knowledge that at a young age she knows that Henry is the man she will eventually marry?
  • The Time Traveler’s Wife is ultimately an enduring love story. What trials and tribulations do Henry and Clare face that are the same as or different from other “normal” relationships?

Related:

Labels: ,


21 comment(s):

Blogger Menchie said...

OK, I will be joining this time. Gotta get a copy of the book...

2/03/2007 09:20:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Now I have to _find_ my copy... Motivation to clean the room? LOL.

2/03/2007 09:53:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Excellent pick. I too have to find my copy. LOL.

2/03/2007 09:55:00 PM  

Blogger Scott McLean said...

Hi! I'm about to go out for dinner, but first I wanted to leave a comment. This evening I'm going to get a latte too, if the coffee house is still open. Have a nice week!

Scott

2/03/2007 11:20:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Great! I've been meaning to read this book for a long time now, BBC is the perfect excuse.

2/03/2007 11:21:00 PM  

Blogger Nikky said...

ok, this one sounds good, think I may actually put down the textbooks and read a book for my own pleasure again... it's been far too long!
Now, to find a copy!

2/03/2007 11:30:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I love this book. Even David loves this book, and he's into sci fi a lot. I am listening to it on audio again.

The readers are so engaging..and when Henry "reader" reads, he gives your spine a tingle.

Hush...I said spine,didn't I?

2/04/2007 12:17:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Harlot, Trollop's right, you are a BBC Nazi. LOL. Of course that doesn't mean I did not enjoy discussing Twilight with you ladies.

Ok, I have to retrieve my copy from my mother.

2/04/2007 12:44:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hullo Scott McLean.

Sotheara,
So glad you loved TBH. :D Told ya people, it's uber uber uber awesome. ;P

2/04/2007 07:30:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I love this book!

2/04/2007 09:51:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I've heard a lot of good things about this book. Anyway, I've always enjoyed our discussions.

2/04/2007 12:04:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the choice!

2/04/2007 06:58:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Excellent pick! :)

2/04/2007 07:55:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this book! Great choice!

Olly

2/05/2007 01:34:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, I'm so fucking excited you picked this glorious book!!

YAY!!!

2/05/2007 11:27:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Mikal, Olly, Vanessa, Heidi,

Hope you girls would join our discussion. ;)

2/06/2007 02:58:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

My sister has been raving about this book for months now. I'll try to get a copy.

2/06/2007 07:53:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

Grrrr! Bookstores have no copy of either Twilight or Time Traveller's Wife. How the heck am I going to join the discussion?

But...I've finished SEP's Natural Born Charmer. Love it, love it, love it!

2/08/2007 03:11:00 AM  

Blogger Girlie said...

What about UBS?

2/08/2007 10:14:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome choice... read it when it first came out in 2005, i think... i loved it!!! funny and heart-warming - it's a love story full of hope and humour... time to read it again!

2/10/2007 06:56:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Sweetangelrei,
I hope you can join us with our discussion. Come on, it'll be fun. ;) As for DREAM HUNTER, thanks again for the info! So happy about it LOL. :P


Menchie,
Oh no.. :( Will try to get you a copy and email you this week.

2/11/2007 12:01:00 AM