Friday, January 26, 2007

I'm back and I'm here to stay

After months of not reading, at least not anything that wasn’t assigned by a bloody teacher, I’m back to reading for fun and I’m loving it (though I should REALLY be studying *sigh*).

Nothing like before, of course. I mean, I hardly have enough time to get through what I’m supposed to read as it is. And then there is Madrid, which lures me into its streets a lot more than I would like to admit *wink* but I’m trotting along, and I believe I’m doing pritti good. *g*

In the last couple of weeks have managed to devour: I’m on to Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes, which I’ve been dying to read since it came out last year. You all know how much I love MK!

What about you guys, what have you been reading besides BBC? I need tons of recommendations now that I’m back in the land of the living! *g*

**Wonderful book! Now, can someone explain to me, why there’s an apple in the cover? Kind of confused. There is no apple and/or other fruit (that I can remember) mentioned in the whole story!

Labels:


24 comment(s):

Blogger Sunnysmileqt said...

I'm reading Twilight right now and the whole apple thing kind of threw me for a loop too. However, I ignored it due to the fact that I was too busy drooling over Edward to pay much attention to the cover anyways.

1/26/2007 05:38:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

So glad you (and Harlot) liked Twilight :D.

Apple on the cover = temptation, especially as it's being offered out to the reader/viewer/character (think Snow White ;-) ). In the opening of the book there's a quotation from Genesis:

"But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil,
thou shalt not eat of it:
for in the day that thou eatest thereof
thou shalt surely die." - Genesis 2:17

And the fruit Eve gives Adam is an apple. Which caused the whole fall from grace and all that.

Although in the case of Twilight, I think the one offering temptation could be either Bella or Edward (for different reasons, though it amounts to pretty much the same thing, IMO). Also, I thought Edward took a bite out of an apple... or maybe I'm mis-remembering. I know he took a bite out of something. Must re-read it this weekend!

I'm about to start Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty. I've heard many good things about it for the past year or two that it's been out.

Shana Abe's The Smoke Thief I thought was quite good, and so was Pam Rosenthal's The Slightest Provocation (rather unusual kind of romance novel) and Almost A Gentleman.

1/26/2007 05:44:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should read 'The time traveler's wife' by Audrey Niffenegger. I loved that book. It's slightly odd, but it's very sweet.

Personally, I'm about to read Lolita. I bought it a few weeks ago, but haven't got around to reading it yet, except for the first page (been reading too much about brains to want to read anything else...lol). But I do love that first page.

1/26/2007 06:39:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Re apple again - for the sake of clarification ;-) , it doesn't actually say apple in Genesis (from what I vaguely remember), but I think it's usually depicted as an apple. (or, less often, a pomegranate - like Persephone/Hades.) In any case, it's the "forbidden fruit" metaphor; the apple represents what one cannot have.

I liked The Time-Traveler's Wife, too, though it's quite sad and has an unusual format/plot because of how Niffenegger works in the time travel.

1/26/2007 06:51:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I'm reading a new author for me whose book i just picked up because of the weird title: LOL The Bride Wore Chocolate by Shirley Jump. And you know what? I'm loving it! It's surprisingly a fun read even for someone like me who can't cook. Come to think of it, what could be more fun than lovin' with chocolate? ;)

1/26/2007 07:13:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh, don't you just love Edward? *sigh* For all of you those who loved Twilight get the sequel New Moon immediately. (Though have to say, i liked Twilight more.) Oh, i can't wait for Eclipse!


Heidi,
I want to read The Time Traveler's Wife. Everyone seems to love it and i've read the synopsis and it looks very interesting. But since i'm a cheap witch, i'm waiting for my reliable little UBS to get it for me. ;P

1/26/2007 07:19:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

The Time Traveler's Wife is a great book, so is Twilight! I really loved it. Edward... I know he's "only 17" but he is hot! LOL. Thanks ladies. I wouldn't find out about it if not for BBC.

1/26/2007 08:22:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Good list there Trollop. This last week I finished two books, Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah and Twilight.

Magic Hour is good but I loved Twilight. I read it in two nights and now I'm in love with Edward. I have 4 new books but I think I'll re-read Twilight instead. :P

1/26/2007 08:35:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am reading Roald Dahl's "Switch Bitch" at the moment.

1/26/2007 09:53:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

I've just finished Kresley Cole's two books in her Immortals After Dark Series and I'm hooked. I can't wait for the next installment. *hate waiting for books in a series!!!!!*

1/26/2007 10:48:00 PM  

Blogger Di said...

I would like to invite you to my site...you might find some recommendations among my reviews:

http://dibookblogetc.typepad.com/my_weblog/

You might also find some insight into the land of Bitches....Boca Raton!

1/26/2007 10:52:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought the two new Jayne Ann Krentz books. I used to love her when I first started reading romance and she hasnt put out anything good in a while so I thought i would give her comeback a shot.

I'm really impressed by the way. I actually posted a comment about it on my blog so if you want to know more, take a gander over to read.


I am also i nthe middle of "Russian Debutante's Handbook" and re-reading the book "Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius" which in my opinion sparked the whole memoir theme that is currently really hot. I love that book by the way.

Next on my life is "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris. I still have to get around to Twilight.

I have to admit. My book reading has stagnated a bit since my LSATs are coming up in a few weeks. But after that, I am all reading again!

1/27/2007 10:39:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I loved Twilight. Thanks bitches!

I'm reading Laura Lee Guhrke's Guilty Pleasure.

1/27/2007 12:00:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Trollop, I love Connie Brockway's All Through the Night. I'm reading Madeline Hunter's By Design. It's a medieval and so far it's good.

1/27/2007 12:11:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

BB, excellent BBC book for January. I can't believe how much I loved Twilight!!! Edward is so hot. LOL. Looking forward to our discussion. :)

1/27/2007 12:14:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

I got two Marian Keyes - The Other Side of the Story, and Watermelon.

I'm beginning to hate MK's covers. What's with all the cartoony theme?

1/27/2007 02:39:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I'm reading If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend by Alison Pace.

1/27/2007 03:52:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading a lot of raves about it, I got JR Ward's Lover Awakened. Am I the only one who did not like this book?

1/27/2007 04:00:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved, loved, loved January's book. Edward is amazing. I read the book in a bit over a day, much to the dismay of my family, who were hoping I would do laundry instead.
I, too, see the apple as the forbidden fruit, as Bella and Edward are to each other. Thanks BB, great suggestion!

1/27/2007 04:37:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Harlot, I'm listening to Time Traveler's Wife in CD. Even David likes it.

I have the book too. Do you think you can sit through disc? The readers are so engaging. I am loving Henri in Audio. I love the book, but the reader Henri...he's fantastic!

1/27/2007 06:10:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I loved Twilight! Wonderful book indeed. Great choice for BBC ladies.

I just finished Julia Quinn's On The Way to the Wedding. I'm glad this is the last of the Bridgertons book. Unless you followed and read the other books in the series, I don't think this book would have any appeal at all.

1/27/2007 06:17:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trollop, I'm glad you're back and here to stay, lol. Give poor Harlot a break! ;)

I can't put TBH away. Ann created a monster when she loaned me T&A and *made* me read them LOL. I have to order THE GIRL IN TIMES SQUARE, to see if PS' writing is consistent outside of this WWII story.

Tinkerbell, did you read the first 2 Black Dagger Brotherhood? I don't think I would have loved LOVER AWAKENED without the lead in of those, even though LA was the best so far IMO.

1/27/2007 09:01:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Currently listening to Harry Potter and the Order Of The Phenoix (since you ladies insisted I read the series because I never read them or saw the movies) and reading New Moon since I devoured Twlight.

I am NOT an emotional person but I admit I cryed in Twilight and in New Moon when Edward left. I'm only a chapter or so in but I am MAD at Edward! That SOB broke my heart. So there is a book after New Moon? When does it come out?

I just read Mr. Perfect because it was mentioned in these pages and I loved it, especially because it is based in a city about 10 minutes from my house and it involved a hot cop. LOL.

Anything you ladies recommend I read! You know your romances, if I do say so myself!

Please excuse if I have typeos but I just got back from a b-day party and I may of had too many cocktails! Sorry.

1/28/2007 04:57:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

So there is a book after New Moon? When does it come out?

"Eclipse" - October 2007. And presumably "Breaking Dawn", the fourth book, is due out the year after. Meyer's also working on "Midnight Sun", which is "Twilight" through Edward's POV, and I think I read somewhere she has outlines for books 5 and 6, but is not sure if she's going to write or publish them.

I've started A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, and so far it's quite good.

1/28/2007 01:34:00 PM