Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Happily ever after... huh, say what now?

One of the reasons I love romance novels is because of that itsy-bitsy factor in every ending that makes a hopeless romantic’s heart go pitter-patter: “... and they lived happily ever after.” I know... *sigh* But after awhile, when you set the book aside and breathe reality in, do you ever wonder what would really happen if this were the real thing? Would these heroes and heroines’ love for each other really last them a lifetime?

In this day and age when people are divorcing each other left and right, husbands leaving their wives for their slutty secretaries and/or barely-over-the-age-of-consent skanks who probably write in their resume that one of their hobbies is giving “like, you know, the best blowjob ever,” it’s hard to keep believing that couples will really live happily ever after. Well, maybe they will, but who’s to say that it’ll be together and not with someone else?

Alright, I’m probably looking at this from jaded point of view LOL. But you have to admit, when the seemingly in love husbands cheat on their adorable wives to taste the Angelina Jolies of the world, it’s hard to keep on believing that love will truly prevail in the end. Is it really THAT hard to make it work?

I don’t know... Perhaps it’s wrong to have such little faith—but I can’t help it. Particularly when I always encounter fuckwits that are completely in denial and will insist that when you finally get someone’s love, the preliminaries don’t matter anymore. I can’t help but think: what a blind fool! Sure, you could delude yourself till your partner leaves/cheats on you, but deep down, except if you’re Barbie**, we all know love is a non-stop race. Race against time, perky new tits (real or fake), gravity, cellulite that’s always there threatening to take over us. You have to have continuous grit, stamina, courage to keep going; probably the reason why, for many, it’s inevitable to slip and make huge mistakes.

You can’t blame these poor souls though, because it’s true: love is a big fucking risk. You give everything just for a possible glimpse of that elusive heaven everyone (yes, even the cynical ones) wants to live. But the thing is, more often than not, before you even reach the gates of paradise, you end up losing your grip from love’s golden wings. And then where will you be? Lying on the bloody ground, having broken the heels of your brand new shoes. *sniff*

However, despite it all, I have to admit—call it grasping at straws, if you will—that these delusional fucks have a point. I mean, it’s either believe or give up (we really don’t have a choice, do we? LOL). Besides, isn’t that’s why love is supposed to be “grand”? That even when your tits are hanging way past your knees (somewhere around your shins), your face has started resembling a pitted prune, you’re fat, senile, losing your teeth and can’t perform any acrobatic sex positions anymore, your love is supposed to still be there, loving you... Right?

**Surely behind Barbie’s bright smile, there is a derisive snort towards all women. Yeah, she’s plastic and owned by Mattel, but still, she does have it all—including a dream house with a pool and Jacuzzi! Lucky bitch! *hmph*

Labels: ,


11 comment(s):

Blogger Gatxan said...

Oh!
Nice piece!
I'm aware of all what you say. But my attitude is trying not to think about all the pain and sorrow that loving him might bring me some day, and enjoy what I have at this very moment. I've had many wonderful moments full of romance and I still have them. Of course it is not like when we started but it is still the best thing I've ever done. We say love is like jumping into a swiming pool. You take the risk...
That's why I like romance novels.

4/11/2006 06:08:00 AM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

I have to say when I was growing up, I have a lot of these fuckwits you're talking about. I have decided, in my young age that marrying anyone of these, with no hope of parole..err divorce, is not a good idea. I decided that if I marry, it should be somewhere where if I made a mistake, I can start over. Luckily, I didn't have to. I've gone fat and ugly and bitchy a few times already, and after almost 15 years, I do believe this man I have still loves me...thinks I'm the most beautiful woman in the world. This must be true love. So it's worth believing sometimes. It's worth the risk sometimes.

4/11/2006 06:10:00 AM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

I mean I saw a lot of fuckwits cheating on their wonderful spouses when I was growing up. It's enough to cure anyone of "happily ever after picture".

4/11/2006 06:12:00 AM  

Blogger Gatxan said...

Forgot to say that I always think, when finishing a romance novel, that they will live happy ever after. Of course the girl will get fat, old and bitchy and of course the boy will get fat, old and disgusting. And they will have problems, disappointments, arguments, bad moments... But that's what love is, isn’t it? At good times and at bad ones. And in a romance novel, they truly love each other.

4/11/2006 06:28:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how much I believe in happily ever after per say. Sure, I believe in "ever after" but you might be a miserable fuck for life or something lol.

I'd be scared of getting married or any sort of permanent commitment.:/ b/c I'm terrified of things going very very wrong!

As for romance, I never really think about what happens to the couple after the end. I honestly could care less lol I move on to other books and soon forget about them :P

4/11/2006 08:11:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about a fuckwit, I just typed up a comment and then 'poof' it was gone, ERRRRR.
So basically what I was going to say is that if I didn't know romance would end with 'happily ever after' I wouldn't read it. That's why I love romance b/c all things are good and happy in the end.
as for marriage, after 7 years of marriage I still love my husband so much and can't picture my life with anyone but him (okay, maybe with Cal). Things aren't always great but I have to trust in him and trust in myself that we will get through the shitty times. Not only for our children but for us. I have several people in my life going through really bad times in their marriages and if I have learned anything from them it's that you have to be willing to work to make things better.
I swear I said it better the first time, damn my computer.

Harlot, great post and speaking of happily ever after, I am loving Princess.

4/11/2006 09:15:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

S,
You rock! Hubby is very lucky to have you. :D Btw, have email for you.


Vixen,
You're probably tired hearing this, but i lovelovelove PRINCESS!!! LOL Glad you're loving it. :D You should try the "Deady" series next. Oh wait, you have T&A i forgot. Hmm.. Well, you can read about Francesca and MY Calder after that. ;) Great series!


Trollop,
Oh, you always do fine babe. Even with this thing called love. :P Esp with your wonderful BF. ;) *smooch*

4/11/2006 02:04:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sometimes wonder if some couples will live happily ever after, but I like to think they do. It's all part of the fantasy of romance novels right? If I want to read about real life, I pick up a newspaper LOL.

4/11/2006 07:43:00 PM  

Blogger Counsellor in Cultivation said...

Well, if there isn't love, there's always money.

4/13/2006 12:57:00 AM  

Blogger Rowena said...

Well then if you're jaded then I am too, because I have a hard time believing that I'll find my happily ever after, because I always seem to think that Angelina Jolie will come along and steal my man, so I don't really trust anyone with my heart...I've got issues I know this but it's nice to see that I'm not alone in this, LOVED this post, great job Harlot!

:D:D:D

4/14/2006 02:03:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Thanks Dylan. :)

I guess with happily ever after, it all depends on how much faith you have on love and your special someone. I'd like to think i too will get it LOL, let's see..

4/16/2006 11:36:00 AM