Friday, June 2, 2006

Book Selection of the Month (June '06)

Hullo, dear readers.

Trollop is leaving me this weekend to run away with her BF in some magical beach where the only thing you can consider as work is the little break from all the sex LOL. Babe, hope both your arses get some sunburn for frolicking naked under the sun! :P

Now, we want to thank all of you who participated in our last BBC discussion. It was great reading everyone’s thoughts and opinions, and even better, giving Trollop headache with all my complains about her adored Bel Canto LOL. Oh, stop the tomato-throwing! Geesh, I’m not the only one who had problems with the book, you know. Besides, isn’t it good for those of you who loved it? Think about it; we, non-Bel Canto lovers, gave you a wider picture and some things to consider next time you reread. *wink*

Anyway, after the glorious epic-drama The Bronze Horseman (oh my beloved TBH), followed by the tiresome—I mean, lyrical and exhilarating Bel Canto, Trollop and I thought we should have something a bit lighter this time. That means no relentless war, no deaths, no terrorists, no shingles. *shudder* We want fun, we want romance; so we went from considering Keyes, to Crusie, to Kinsella. But since we also want something new, something we both have yet to read, it all came down to a book by a new rising author everyone is raving about.

Chickies, for this month’s selection, we give you:


somethingborrowed

Something Borrowed
by Emily Giffin


Something Borrowed is a winner; it has rare emotional depth. In Something Borrowed, Rachel, a perpetually self-sacrificing nice girl, shocks herself by launching an affair with her best friend’s fiancé. This first blow for freedom sets off a chain reaction that will inspire pathologically nice girls everywhere to strike blows of their own.”
- Valerie Frankel, author of The Accidental Virgin

“I absolutely loved it and read it in two sittings because I could not put it down. It was amazing to me how Emily handled this complex moral issue with such compassion and clear-sightedness. I believed it all the way and forgot about the rest of my life while I was immersed in it. Her three main characters are portrayed as multifaceted and endearingly flawed—just like real human beings. Something Borrowed is also very well written—nice, spare prose, which kept me pressing forward, agog to know what happened. This is a book which takes a clear-eyed look at the rivalry that exists in even the best of friendships. Congratulations to Emily on having written such a compelling, engrossing, and uplifting book.”
- Marian Keyes, author of Last Chance Saloon


These questions are to be pondered while reading the book; we will go over them at length the first day of the discussion:
  • What do you think was the real impetus behind Rachel’s decision to sleep with Dex after her birthday party? Was it about her desire to break out of her good girl persona? Or was it about a long standing resentment toward Darcy?
  • How do you view Dex? How would you describe Dex and Rachel’s relationship? What drew them together? Did you root for them to be together? Do you think they have true love?
  • Under what circumstances is it justified to choose love over friendship? How important is it for women to stick together? Have you ever been in a friendship like Darcy and Rachel’s? Should you ever jettison a friendship that isn’t working anymore?
Our book club is still in beta format LOL. We’ll be nipping and tucking for the first couple of months until we can find a way to make it a fun and entertaining experience for everyone involved. *wink*
  • Discussion will be on Monday and Tuesday of the last week of each month.
  • We’ll be posting the first questions when we announce BBC selection for the month. As soon as you finish reading the chosen book, you can email us your replies and ask for the other questions which we’ll supply for you to answer. We’ll then post your answers in the comments when BBC starts.
  • Please NO discussions of the BBC selection in the tagboard!
  • We are open to suggestions and ideas of how to improve our book club. Feel free to email us with comments and/or pictures of gorgeous naked men!
I think I made a promise about something if our last discussion turned out to be a good one? Hmm, I can’t seem to remember... Let’s see... Maybe later I will. *g*


Related:

Labels: ,


12 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh chic lit! My type of book. :)

Olly

6/02/2006 02:33:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend was just telling me about this book. I'm anxious to get reading!

Harlot, I would be happy to remind you of your promise...

SEXY NAKED MEN!

I beleive that was it, anyone else remember?

6/02/2006 03:41:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I'm with Vixen. Harlot, where's the naked men?!!!

LOL

6/02/2006 04:03:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I would love to participate with this book. Vixen, a friend just told me about this book too, LOL.

Ohhh, this is going to be my first BBC. :)

6/02/2006 08:50:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I love chic lit! I've never heard of Emily Griffin but I'm definitely going to read something Marian Keyes recommended. She's one of my auto-buy authors.

Count me in, ladies. I loved your last discussion anyway.

6/02/2006 09:00:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't join in your discussions but the book you chose this month is one of my favourites. Enjoy your discussion! Excellent choice.

6/02/2006 11:16:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hi Anon, welcome! :D

Why won't you join us on our discussion? :(

In any case, i'm glad you liked the book. I still don't have a copy of it but i've already asked my UBS to get one for me. :)

6/03/2006 09:02:00 AM  

Blogger Bethany said...

THat book was fabulous. There is also a follow up book to it called Something Blue. I'm not an emotional person, but I cried while reading both... I think you'll love them!!! :) Happy reading.

6/03/2006 04:59:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hi Bethany, welcome!

Wow, everyone seems to love it. Now i'm really excited. :P Yes, i saw there's a sequel already. If i really liked this one, i'll definitely get the second book.

I hope you'll be able to join us on our discussion. :)

6/03/2006 09:59:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a great book! Enjoy reading it! :D I didn't enjoy something blue as much but it was pretty good!

6/05/2006 02:00:00 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

I just read this book and loved it.
I think it should become a movie and soon! Who do you picture as Rachel, Dexter, Darcy and Marcus?
I totally picture Mark Ruffalo or somebody like him as Dexter. And I am thinking maybe Kirsten Dunst as Darcy. I can't put my finger on somebody for Rachel and I can only think of a guy I knew in college as Marcus. Please let me know what you all think.

7/29/2007 12:54:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Christina. :D

Not sure who can be Rachel and Darcy but i picture Dexter as Brandon Routh (the unsmiling version) LOL. I don't have a thing for Dex neither for Brandon, but dunno, perhaps it's because i read the book when Superman Returns was about to be released. Or perhaps it's because i saw Dexter as this very together, will remain unaffected whatever punches you throw at him. He's just too suave with all of it, too cool even under so much pressure (honestly, cheating with his fiancee's best friend!) just like Superman (not that Superman would ever cheat! :P).

Anyway, welcome and i hope you join us often. :)

7/29/2007 03:58:00 PM