Tuesday, June 27, 2006

BBC: Something Borrowed (Day 2)

Something Borrowed is a delightful read; fun, fresh and very different. I can see everyone participating in the discussion really enjoyed it and has tons to say about it LOL. Especially how big of a bastard Dex is—even though we all liked him! Wonder if that means we’re all sick twisted bitches??? Hmm... Here are the last questions for this BBC selection:
  • Do you think Dex and Darcy would have married if it weren’t for Dex’s affair with Rachel? Why did he stay with Darcy for so long?
  • Disloyalty is a major theme in this novel. How differently do men and women view cheating? Why is Darcy so indignant when she catches Dex and Rachel together when she has been having an affair of her own?
  • This book ends at a crossroads for all the characters. What do you see happening? Will Rachel’s relationship last with Dex? Do you think Darcy got what she deserved in the end or do you feel sorry for her? Do you think she’s capable of true love? Will Rachel and Darcy ever salvage their friendship? Do you think the ending of Something Borrowed is a happy one?
Saturday (July 1st) we’ll be announcing the book choice for the month of July. All suggestions are welcomed and will be taken into consideration. Here are our top picks so far:

Related:

Labels:


20 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously have to get going after this. GEEZ! Good thing kids are with my mom and sister so I don't feel guilty

1. I don't think they would've married and if they had it wouldn't have lasted. I wish I knew why Dex stayed with Darcy so long. Maybe it was because he just got comfortable and it was easier to stay with her than to make a change.

2. Darcy just doesn't think it's possible for anyone to choose Rachel over her. She is so self absorbed that she is outraged that Dex could not want her. She wants everyone to worship and pine for her even if she doesn't want them.

3. I can't answer this because I've read Something Blue, my opinion is compromised now, LOL.

Great choice for the BBC, ladies! I can't wait to see what the next one is. :)

6/27/2006 11:32:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Yes, I think Dex would have done it. I mean, even when he said he's in love with Rachel, he was still going to marry Darcy! He even said it, that he thought marrying Darcy was the right thing to do.

I can only speak for myself and for me, i do hate cheating/cheaters. Will never tolerate it. The fact that i liked this book even when the main characters were both cheaters--even the secondary ones! LOL--says a lot about this novel and Ms. Giffin's writting.

I don't think Darcy really loved Dex. I think what she really liked about him was she saw him as the perfect man: good looking, smart, stable, etc. And of course, she should be with the perfect man. She wasn't even sad when Dex broke the engagement. Until that is, when she found out about Rach. It's not about Dex, or Marcus. It's Rach. In Darcy and Rach's relationship, it's all about Darcy winning over her. That's why she was mad about the affair.

I don't feel sorry for Darcy, she's a bitch LOL, not to mention having an affair of her own. Not to mention getting pregnant in the process!

6/27/2006 11:47:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

1. I agree with Harlot, I think Dex would have married Darcy anyway. He had an affair and he still stayed with Darcy. What more if he didn't have the affair? I agree with Vixen that if the marriage pushed through, it wouldn't have lasted anyway.

2. I have a brother who cheats on his gfs. He said that as long as he's not getting caught, then there's no problem. I know, pig. I once asked him, what if it's me and my BF is cheating on me? What would he feel about that? He said, since he doesn't meddle in other people's business, especially mine, he would just tell me to move on. But if I stay with such a player, he would be angry. Go figure!

Darcy was indignant because it's all about her. Her her her. No one can be better. Especially not Rachel.

3. I think it's a happy ending because this story is about Dex and Rachel finally getting together in the end. And they did.

6/27/2006 03:01:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Petra, that's a good question. I think Darcy would. LOL

Vixen, is the sequel as good as Something Borrowed? Kind of hesitant to read it because it's Darcy's book and she can be very annoying. :P

6/27/2006 03:05:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I don't think the book really has a happy ending. Dex and Rach is really just beginning, so to speak. But more to the point, the book is not just about Rach and Dex. Half of the book deals with Rach and Darcy and their relationship. And in the end, that relationship didn't survive.

After Darcy found out about the affair, Rach kept feeling that hollow feeling when you miss someone you know you'll probably never see again. She said that she had that empty, achy feeling which at first, she thought was just Dex. But after calling him, it's still there. It's Darcy.

I haven't read the sequel yet so I don't know if Darcy and Rach patched things up, but if they did, i don't think their friendship will still be the same. No friendship can go through all of that, no matter how strong it is, and still end up intact.

Loving our discussion, ladies! :D

6/27/2006 03:19:00 PM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

1. They probably would have, simply because people, by nature, follows the path of least resistance. Didn't he have sex with her in the shower long after he started with Rachel?

2.Darcy was indignant because she's self-centered. And even as horrible as she is, she was doubly betrayed by her fiancee and her longest best friend. It's very human and honest reaction. I'd have done the same...in addition to doing bodily harm to them.

3. I don't really feel sorry for Darcy. Darcy is probably capable of deep love, but it will always be overshaddowed by selfishness. She'll have lapses of deep love. That "friendship" is done for...like Humpty-dumpty. It is never the same, even if put back together. Tecchnically, SB is happy ending in that the boy gets the girl and all that...but it's skewed and not very satisfying in terms of a "real" HEA book.

6/27/2006 03:31:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Daniele, you're right. Your brother is a pig. LOL

1. I think Dex would have married Darcy if there was no affair. He's just the type to be honorable (yeah right) and just go with it, just because he gave his word that he would marry her. And like Serendipity mentioned, he even had sex with Darcy in the showers - while Rach is in the next room!!!

2. It's because Darcy is a selfish, self-absorbed bitch.

3. I'm not so sure Darcy had it worse. Come to think of it, Rach had to endure more than Darcy. And even in the end, albeit her anger because of the affair, I got the impression she was happy about Marcus and having a baby. She's no victim at all!

6/27/2006 03:44:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I LOVE this quote! :D

"Only then do I acknowledge that what I am feeling might actually be true happiness. Even joy. Over the past several days, when I have felt the beginning of this emotion tugging at my heart, it has crossed my mind that the key to happiness should not be found in a man. That an independent, strong woman should feel fulfilled and whole on her own. Those things might be true. And without Dex in my life, I like to think I could have somehow found contentment. But the truth is, I feel freer with Dex than I ever did when I was single. I feel more myself with him than without. Maybe true love does that."

6/27/2006 03:49:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Trollop, I thought Lisa Valdez's Passion would be the next book?

6/27/2006 03:52:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Jordis, yes he is! LOL

Seriously, it's like he's saying it's ok to cheat, but he won't accept it if someone cheats on him! What the hell?!!!

6/27/2006 04:11:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Great quote, Harlot. :)

I think Dex would have married Darcy. They've been together for so long it's just the next thing to do. Comfortable. What people expect of them. And everything is already prepared anyhow.

Dex and Rach would probably make it. When they're together, even under the shadow of an affair, there's something there alright. They adore each other and been friends for so long, that will definitely be a factor to their new relationship as a couple.

I don't feel sorry for Darcy at all. I agree with Jordis that she is not a victim. She was happy about Marcus and was probably relieved that Dex called the engagement off.

I'll be reading Something Blue next. I'm expecting some major character development from Darcy. I really hope she won't remain the selfish person she's been in the first book.

6/27/2006 05:11:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog.

I recommend The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

6/27/2006 05:43:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I agree, I think Dex would marry Darcy. We should have given Dex's POV to see what he was feeling and thinking during the time of the affair. No matter what, he can't justify his decision to still stay with Darcy even after he said that it's Rachel he loved.

I have yet to read the sequel. But based from the first book, I'm thinking yes, Dex and Rachel would make it. Now Darcy, I agree with Jordis. DArcy's not a victim here. I think it was mentioned she was even excited about her pregnancy when she was announcing it to Rachel, and even thinking of marrying Marcus.

I think the novel has a happy ending. It's sad about Darcy and Rach's friendship, that after being friends all those times, it just ended with one cheating over the other. But since their friendship wasn't working anyway, it's better to just end it.

6/27/2006 07:25:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I love reading everyone's answers :D Trollop, I'm excited already for the next selection!!!!

6/27/2006 07:27:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh please. Why do you think Dexter would break off the engagement? Even when he's having an affair with Rachel, he wasn't going to leave Darcy. And that's while he claimed he love Rachel!

Look at this. Straight from the horse's mouth:

"I care about her. I want her to be happy. I saw marrying Darcy as the right thing to do. We've been together for seven years and most of the time we've been pretty happy. I didn't want to hurt her."

6/27/2006 08:37:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I don't dispute that Dex is smart. I think he is. Very actually. Calculating smart bastard. But there's still the fact that Rachel gave him an out that first time and he still stayed with Darcy!!! Okay, let's say that he's not in love with Rachel, she could still very well be his reason for an out. Now, if he's in love with Rachel, (he panicked a bit I think, after Rachel left for England) more reason to break the engagement off!!! That's why i think he would have proceeded marrying Darcy.

And how could you say Darcy can't give Dex a child? Pretty sure she would. If she was happy having it with Marcus, why not with Dex whom she's been with for seven years?

See, i'm right!

6/27/2006 09:35:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

There's still the fact that he chose to stay with Darcy while proclaiming that it's Rachel he loved! :p

Sigh. I really wish we could know what's on Dex's mind why WHY WHY he chose to stay..

6/27/2006 09:49:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

You just left because you didn't want to discuss Dex! I'M PUTTING YOU WITH THAT HORSE!!!

:P I know you're tired, babe. Love you. Kiss

6/27/2006 09:51:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

You two. LOL

I think you both have a point. I really wish we can know what Dex was thinking why he stayed with Darcy. This will answer everything. However this is more fun. :P

6/27/2006 10:04:00 PM  

Blogger Jo said...

Yes I think Dex and Darcy would have gotten married.... stupid as it is... they viewed themselves as "the perfect couple"....
I think Rachel is partly to blame for Dex and Darcy staying together... Darcy just doesn't believe that someone isn't happy with her....
I can't answer the third question because i read Something Blue.... i know what happens to everyone... and i love it!

6/28/2006 01:35:00 PM