Friday, February 2, 2007

Sing for me, baby


When I was a little heathen and thought the most beautiful man I’d ever seen was Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty, there was no doubt in my mind that I’d grow up with “gold of sunshine in my hair” and “lips that shame the red, red rose”** and I’d sing so beautifully that Prince Charming would do ANYTHING to climb into my chamber, tee hee :P—to bestow a magical kiss upon my red, red rosy lips, you pervs. Sadly, I didn’t see a little glitch; of all the stupid jokes nature could play on me, I didn’t get the bloody gift of song!!! *sob* I guess that’s why my dream... well, it hasn’t happened... YET. (IT WILL HAPPEN, as heaven is my witness! It’s just... taking it’s time, ya know? Good things come to those who wait and all that crap.)

It must seem silly that I love this Disney film. I don’t even like Aurora and her perfect hair to be honest, (especially when she has Prince Phillip, lucky witch!) but there’s something about Sleeping Beauty that makes me want to believe in fairy tales. Of course the presence of Aunt Flora, Fauna and Merryweather help, but mostly, I think... it’s the singing...



Did you notice that love and music come together, like a horse and carriage? Er, or is that love and marriage? Anyway, for example: whenever you’re humming/singing during breakfast, someone will accuse you of total hogwash like “you got laid last night!” or *gasp* “you’re in love, aren’t you?!” Is it because of the saying when you’re in love you hear the music in your heart?—or some sappy rubbish like that? Hmmm... “I made it through the wilderness... Somehow I made it through... Didn’t know how lost I was... Until I found you...” *ahem* Where were we? LOL, right. Music. And, yeah, romance too.



In 1810 E.T.A. Hoffmann called Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven the three “Romantic Composers,” and Ludwig Spohr used the term “good Romantic style” to apply to parts of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony. As I’m not a fan of classical music, I won’t even pretend I get it. Nevertheless, there’s also opera—and what can be more “romanticizing” than opera? Just imagine the lead is about to end her life by hara-kiri because her lover turns out to be the gay serial killer who strangled her beloved cat, yet despite all that she still sings!!! This, crying, beaten and heart-broken, and still in fucking perfect pitch. Honestly... what a show-off BITCH. Hmph!



Ohhh, this reminds me of Ann Patchett’s Bel Canto. Roxane I-can-sing-anything Coss is such an uber magnificent opera singer that men fawn all over her. Of course, lets not forget I’m referring to the “perfect” novel with the terrorists-loving idiot honchos. (“Perfect” meaning imperfections like reality aren’t allowed in the story. *snort* Except for shingles—IIICK!)

I’m not saying it’s far-fetched that everyone fell for Diva Roxy. Of course not. Why, I used to have a crush on one of our local band vocalist even if he was a crack addict and looked like he needed a good bath—but who cared about that when he looked uber hot whenever he performed? Oh, c’mon, don’t tell me you haven’t had a thing for a rather plain bloke who can fiddle his guitar like a sexy maniac. :P Just look at Marilyn Manson (not that I find him sexy, though he is a maniac :/). Who in their fucking right mind would shack up with that horrendous prince of doom? Apparently, the 19-year-old Evan Rachel Wood would.



Whatever the case, freak leader of the undead or not, chicks dig musicians. That’s why every bloke wants to be in a band because even if you look like Mick Jagger, crazy fangirls (*cough* Trollop *cough*) throw their undies in the stage with their number written on the crotch, in the hope that the rocker might pick it up.

Is this what Hoffmann meant when he said music is “the most Romantic of all the arts”? If Prince Phillip hadn’t hear Aurora sing, would he have found her in the woods? More importantly, would he have fallen in love with her? And what if he hadn’t, does that mean she’d been left in her tower sleeping forever?

In Louis de Bernières’s Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, Dr. Iannis said that love is “what is left when the passion is gone.” I couldn’t help but wonder, given that music is unadulterated passion, is this why we need and crave music in our lives, to help us hold on to love and life when passion fades?

To see more “guitar photos,” click here. ;)



**Quotes from songs in Sleeping Beauty.


Related:

Labels: , ,


35 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that'll make your panties fall off.........sigh.thanks for the lovely wake-up,maggiemay

2/02/2007 09:47:00 AM  

Blogger Menchie said...

First off, I looooved Sleeping Beauty. And I can still recite a lot of the lines -- that's how much I like it. Prince Phillip is my favorite.

Too true about the musician thing. I'm a sucker for guys who can sing and/or play an instrument.

2/02/2007 09:52:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

Lovely pictures there :p.

Sleeping Beauty was one of my favourite Disney movies (B&B was the other one).

I always liked Phillip's horse ;-) , thought both he and Phillip had quite the sense of humour. And they slayed a dragon! Liked the three fairies, too. Aurora not so much, but she never really did anything except sing.

I think the ability to play the piano is part of what makes House so hot. (Apparently the actor who plays Chase can play the violin (or some type of instrument)... if he's good at it, I think the show needs to work it in :D ).

2/02/2007 10:13:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

OMG. Faint. What a great way to start my day... Thanks Harlot!

My daughters love Sleeping Beauty and Little Mermaid, both have a lot of singing in them. I do think my oldest has a thing for Prince Eric. She loves all that mermaid stuff.

Dance, I didn't know that Chase plays the violin. Goodness, that would be wonderful if they incorporate that with the show... I have a little crush on him :D.

2/02/2007 10:41:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I keep missing HOUSE. :/ I've seen a lot of episodes but i miss episodes here and there. I don't even know what happened to Sela Ward. I'll probably get the DVDs soon..

I think Chase is hot. LOL. If he can play the violin, oh he needs to do that in the show!

Hi Maggiemay!

2/02/2007 11:23:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about RAWRRR! These pics are hot!
Musicians are always hot. I still have a thing for Kurt Cobain even if he's already dead. Does that make me weird|? Brandon of Incubus is another hottie, and Mick Jagger isn't that bad if you think about it!

2/02/2007 11:38:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

This is what I have to live with every fucking day!!! Gotta tell ya' will be in the market for a new-non-pot-smoking BFF pritty soon!

Trollop: What about Prince?
Have you ever seen a more horrid man? And people thought him sexy!
Harlot:
that's PRINCE PHILLIP!
Trollop:
no no I MEAN THE SINGER PRINCE;
ARE YOU DAFT TODAY?
Harlot:
DID YOU SEE THAT stupid looking honcho in candy candy !
Trollop:
did you finally lose your marbles?!?!?
Harlot:
what singer prince? and prince phillip is HOT hmph
Trollop:
PRINCE, THE SINGER; THE SINGER FORMERLY KNOWN AS PRINCE, FOR FUCK'S SAKES!!!
Harlot:
OMG why would i like HIM !! i mean prince phillip!!!!
Trollop:
ok, tell me now, I need to know, are you under meds or something?!?!?!YOU SAY IN YOUR BLOODY NEWSLETTER OF A POST THAT WOMEN LIKE EVEN UGLY SINGERS JUST B/C THEY SING! so I said, yes, that's the case with prince!
Harlot:
well i dont like him! DONT TELL ME YOU DO!
Trollop:
NEITHER DO I! YOU. ARE. MISSING. THE. WHOLE. POINT.
Harlot:
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? i didnt mean EVERYONE WHO CAN SING IS HOT
GEESH!
Trollop: fuck it! forget it, doesn't matter!!!!!!!!!!

2/02/2007 12:08:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Oh... I luuuurv the eye candy. I think this is my new favorite batch! :D

I agree about the musicians. Even Chris Martin of Coldplay is hot when he's performing, especially when he's playing the piano. Gwyneth obviously thinks so.

Cassie, Brandon is hot!

2/02/2007 12:29:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

WTF?

I THOUGHT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT PRINCE PHILLIP! I WAS CLEARLY TALKING ABOUT PRINCE PHILLIP!!!!!

2/02/2007 12:42:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmygosh thank you thank you thank you than you bitches... i love the pics!
great post harlot. i think melodies melt our minds hahahaha... seriously, music inspires, soothes, gives us ideas... but it also clouds our minds... maybe that's why even the artist prince looks hot when he's on stage. lmao about what you posted trollop :-)

2/02/2007 01:13:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2/02/2007 01:29:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Love the eye candy. I particularly love the last one. Mmmmmm yum. LOL!

As for music and love, I guess that's true. I can't sing to save my life but if a guy I like sings to me, sigh... I melt.

2/02/2007 02:26:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Chris Martin rocks! And Dave Growl too! :P

2/02/2007 02:26:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I think I lurv you Harlot. This is pool boy, right? I didn't quite like him before but these pics... my goodness... I need my man! lol!

Is Rachel Wood really dating Marilyn Manson? I didn't know that. I know he used to date Rose MacGowan from Charmed but that's it. I guess rockers do have some power over girls if Marilyn Manson who is so creepy can get a young girl like that.

P.S. Brandon Boyd is incredibly H O T ;)

Olly

2/02/2007 02:33:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Good post, and excellent eye candy ;-)

True about singing when you're in love. It's because people tend to sing when they're happy.

I loved Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Not so much the movie, but the book is great.

Btw, House with the piano - hot! Even my mom is crazy about this guy. LOL.

2/02/2007 02:41:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Trollop, you and Harlot crack me up. I can't believe you're arguing about Prince. I like him when he's on the stage ;p.

2/02/2007 02:42:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Polly, i was posting on this board we both belong to and Trollop was confusing me! Honestly, THAT's what i have to live with every fucking day!!! *hmph*

2/02/2007 03:40:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweeeeet!!
Lovely pics :)

2/02/2007 04:46:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Oh Pool Boy looks better in these pics. :P

As for the musicians, I thought Kurt Cobain was beautiful. He and Silverchair's vocalist sort of look the same. I think he married Natalie Imbruglia.

Goo goo dolls frontman is also hot!

2/02/2007 05:47:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am loving that boy's tatts. Who is that?

2/02/2007 10:21:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

Lovely man... *sigh*

Don't they say that when you're... cough, making love, you make music together? Is it literally because of all the moaning and the sounds you produce? :P

2/03/2007 01:50:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

Trollop, that's funny! LOL

Kinky Courtesan, happy birthday. :)

2/03/2007 01:51:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Mmmm.... he is GOR-GEOUS.

I also loved Captain Corelli's Mandolin. The way he went after her in the end made me cry, lol.

I think music is always important. It's one of those things that give life color. Or flavor, whichever way you want to see it. :)

Trollop! LOL! I'm with you, Prince is weird.

2/03/2007 02:16:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that made. my day.

2/03/2007 09:39:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Oh dear. Hot. Hot. Hot.

2/03/2007 12:01:00 PM  

Blogger Miss L said...

mmm, thanks for the eye candy. why won't my man learn to play an instrument or sing? that would be so wonderful...

btw, love the site! and I love Prince, the singer - I know, he's a strange little man, but I find his over-the-top drama hilarious and I love his music. is he attractive? maybe when I'm just listening and not looking! but I totally love david bowie. attractive man (when you don't see his teeth) so maybe I am a little weird :P

2/03/2007 02:20:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

Jezz... talk about a good afternoon wake up call, lol. Thank ladies.

I have to agree with Prince and David Bowie being hot. Though come to think of it, if they weren't performers they would both creep me out...

2/03/2007 06:53:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Is it wrong to wish my man is this gorgeous and talented music-wise? Not that I would exchange the tall BF for this very young tempting man. Even if he went bald I would still want him. I would love to be serenaded once in a while though...

2/03/2007 07:13:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Trollop, LOL. I'm not into Prince but I find David Bowie very sexy. And did I mention Elvis? Hot dang!

2/03/2007 07:19:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I never liked Elvis. I don't know why... LOL

2/03/2007 11:28:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

OMG. I love a man who can sing. Especially when he can play the guitar, naked, like pool boy here. Sigh...

2/04/2007 07:58:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dare I say it? There's something very wrong with these pictures. Why would Pool Boy lie there with his guitar, in his splendor, without me??

Olly

2/05/2007 01:39:00 AM  

Blogger oriana said...

simplemente HOT!

2/09/2007 11:36:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHMYEFFINGGOD HOT!

2/10/2007 10:42:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Every time I visit I scroll down to see this guy. He is so hot...

2/11/2007 12:12:00 AM