Monday, January 14, 2008

10 little things about Paullina Simons


I thought about the way I should go about introducing the author who gave me Alexander and Tatiana, a couple whose story I once likened to a unicorn or a double-headed penis. (I was having mojitos and fantasizing about something kinky at the time, heh—but that’s not the point. I only meant her books—and the unicorn and the penis—were a most precious find. ;)) And then I thought, why am I thinking of how to introduce her? Hell, if you’ve yet to hear about her then you’ve been reading the wrong blog. :P

Paullina Simons has been my favorite author since I read The Bronze Horseman five years ago. Since then I have devoured every book of hers I could find. And then pimped it shamelessly. And then pimped it more. Honestly, I might as well be called Paullina Simons’ Book Pimp!

Erm, her new book, Road to Paradise, is already out in Australia and New Zealand (lucky bastards, hmph!). Not sure when it’s gonna be available in the U.S. but it’ll be out on April 2008 in the U.K. Now, (thanks to Marg and to a friend) I found myself having two copies of Road to Paradise *and* two copies of The Summer Garden. Wonder what I should do, hmmmm... Oooh, why not raffle my extra copies for two of our dear readers? *g*

Okay, all you gotta do is leave a comment in her two-part interview (which will be posted tomorrow) telling us which book you’d prefer and we’ll include you in the contest. In the meantime, here are some tidbits about Paullina:

1. Favorite comfort food: Blinchiki

2. Weirdest thing you like to eat: Raw bacon

3. Favorite TV show and/or favorite movie: Sopranos, Deer Hunter

4. If you could wake up tomorrow in the body of someone else currently living, whom would you pick? For a day? Angelina Jolie. Forever? Nobody.

5. 3 things you never leave your house without: Credit card, lip gloss, iPhone

6. Last movie you watched: I Am Legend

7. Man (besides hubby) you think is too gorgeous for your peace of mind: Keanu

8. Book you’re reading right now: I Am Legend

9. What one toiletry item could you never live without? Lip balm

10. Which famous person, now dead, do you wish you could have seen naked? Rudolf Nureyev


Related:

Labels: ,


15 comment(s):

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Paullina looks lovely.

What is Blinchiki?

Looking forward to reading the interview.

1/14/2008 12:49:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

I Am Legend: I saw and read the book the other week. The movie is good but it's very different from the book.

Ms. Simons, I absolutely loved your Bronze Horseman trilogy... but raw bacon is nasty. :p

1/14/2008 02:42:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

Squeeeeee!!

My book related highlight of last year was definitely meeting Paullina!

Blinchiki are little Russian pancakes, sometimes made with buckwheat!

1/14/2008 05:29:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Love your books Ms. Simons!

1/14/2008 11:12:00 PM  

Blogger Cassie said...

I loved the Bronze Horseman!
Ms. Simons


it's was wonderful

1/14/2008 11:16:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Simons, thanks to the Book Bitches I discovered your books. I loved Tully and your TBH trilogy.

1/14/2008 11:27:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paullina, I am another "victim" of the BB's pushing to read your books. *G* Now I am another PS fan - very happy I found your books.

Olly

1/14/2008 11:40:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I worked my way through Paullina Simons' books which I discovered thanks to the BBs.

Can't say that I have tried blinchiki. Sounds yummy. *g*

1/15/2008 01:37:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Marg, where did you meet Paullina? I would love to get a signed copy of TBH.

1/15/2008 01:41:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

She came on tour to Australia and I went to a couple of the events. You can read about it here

1/15/2008 01:50:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of all Paullina's books I liked The Bronze Horseman series best (I'm not that crazy about The Summer Garden, though). I also enjoyed the Girl in Times Square and Tully which I read many, many years ago.

What draws me most to Paullina's books is the dialogue. Superb writing. I love the way she writes. I often want to scream at the character "what the hell are you doing??!!" but that keeps things interesting.

Can't wait to read the interview.

1/15/2008 02:08:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading the interview. OK...I'm seriously grossed out by the raw bacon, Paullina, but I still love you. LOL!

Expanding on the Blinchiki question, Marg is right that it's a pancake (more like a crepe) but it's actually filled with a meat mixture and rolled up, then fried. De-li-cious!

Paullina's style of writing is powerful. Her dialogue and the way emotions are expressed and conveyed are without rival. I will read anything she writes--hell, I'd even read her grocery list if she'd let me.

If I could make one Paullina wish, it would be to see "deleted" scenes from The Summer Garden (if they exist). :D

1/15/2008 08:18:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Raw bacon? ACKKKK LOL

I can't live w/o lip gloss either, well Blistex lip balm actually.

PS, I really enjoyed TBH even if Alexander did cheat. Because he did right? Harlot and I are always fighting about it LOL I want to know what you think *g*

1/15/2008 08:25:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

VT, I think Alexander did cheat.... It was one of the things that bothered me in the series. In spite of that, I couldn't help but love Alexander. For me his love for Tatiana is the essence of the whole trilogy.

1/15/2008 02:24:00 PM  

Blogger Myah said...

Yeah, lip balm is cool and needed very much with our hot summers here. I don't think Alexander really cheated as much as mmmm?... not sure how to put it. His love for Tatiana was overpowering and totally committed. His love for Dasha was very different because of the circumstances. More a friendship love which he would have stuck by if T hadn't come on the seen. Thats how I feel anyway. A brilliant read, now I just need to buy T and A to find out what happens next!!

4/06/2008 09:50:00 AM