Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Remember Orbeli, remember forever...

You all probably know Paullina Simons** is my favorite author and how uber loca I am about her books, The Bronze Horseman and Tatiana and Alexander. So why was I hesitant to write about its climactic conclusion The Summer Garden? Well, I had to calm myself first to actually be able to write something because SHURA DROVE ME FUCKING NUTS! He made me soooo mad I wanted to beat him with Trollop’s wooden dildo till I seriously draw blood! *grrr* Why, Shura? WHY WHY WHY? *wails while thrashing on the floor*

Okay, breathe... *breathe* What can I say? PS is such a brilliant author. She writes so compellingly that I can’t help but be drawn in. Her stories always suck me in I forget everything, including the fact that her characters are just that, characters from a book. Seriously, Alexander and Tatiana are more real to me than, say, Gisele Bundchen? (Who knows if she’s actually a hologram thingy of some alien ship serving as bait to kidnap drooling men. :/)

As I was saying, what TBH started, followed by T&A, TSG now continues with a sense of closure. Of course, it doesn’t come without feeling like you’re being shagged hard while ridding a bloody roller coaster. (Not that I’m confessing I’ve done that. Heh, verra dangerous, y’know. :P) Up and down, highs and lows, and—oh my... you feel EVERY moment of it.

In TSG, the intense love of Shura and Tatia is still the focal point; but unlike the first two books we see some cracks in their relationship. They now have a son, Anthony, and what started from Russia now shifts to America, the land of freedom and hope. But instead of happiness, my poor Shura and Tatia are lost *sniff*; they become strangers due to their separation. Still, I gotta say, there’s no moment where you’ll doubt their love. PS handles the scenes like a marvelous pianist, enthralling you with her music; there’s no question that they love each other because—oh, they do! Madly, wildly, desperately you’ll ACHE with them. *sigh*

Whenever Shura and Tatia touch, oh god... I feel it. And it feels so freaking real it seems like I’m a peeping perv spying on a couple whose passion for each other is soooo immense the air vibrates with it. That’s why even when there are fights, you’ll never forget that their love is historic, colossal and oh-so-splendid.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I almost didn’t finish TSG. (Trollop, no smart-ass comments! Hmph!) Not because it’s bad—NEVER THAT. It’s just, the tension is too overwhelming. Take that big fight, for example. Gah, I’ve never read anything like that! I cried and I cried, I couldn’t breathe; I wanted to grab Shura and Tatia and shake them and yell at them for making me suffer! It’s worse than when I was promised a mind-blowing orgasm and didn’t fucking get it. *grrr* At least when that happened I was able to kick the guy out and tell my GFs he has a small penis but this... I didn’t know what to do. :/ I felt so helpless, and I had no choice but to continue. Mind you though, readers who think of giving up, that’d be a pity. You have to read on, you HAVE to. I couldn’t believe it but I actually loved TSG better than T&A.

I’m afraid there will never be a book series that can come close to my beloved TBH trilogy. It is UNIQUE. It’s devastatingly powerful it renders you breathless, seizing your heart like a hungry nympho gripping for dick, erm—and you know, you’ll never EVER be the same.

Tatia and her Shura, they’re one of the reasons why I love books... why I love romance... why I believe in fucking love... why I shouldn’t give up on love even when EVERYTHING in my body says I have enough because I’ll cease to exist without it. Thank you, Ms. Simons, for one of the most magnificent, exquisite, GLORIOUS love stories ever told. For love, for life, for memories, for ever... My hat’s off to you. If you like, my pritti knickers too. ;)

**OMG. The Bartered Bride? THIS AUGUST? Is this true??? I’ve been bitching/bemoaning/wailing the lack of new PS book as I crave her stories so I NEED BLOODY ANSWERS!!! Heh, please. :P


Related:

Labels:


49 comment(s):

Blogger Marg said...

Breathe Harlot...breathe!

It is quite a rollercoaster ride isn't it! Does that mean you have finished it yet?

3/06/2007 09:39:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Yep. Last week! :D I loved it more than T&A, can you believe that? LOL

3/06/2007 09:50:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

FYI: If you love PS, I highly, HIGHLY recommend JENNIFER DONNELLY. Her books THE TEA ROSE and THE WILD ROSE are both uber fantastic. Yep. Even her YA, A NORTHERN LIGHT, is fab. :D

Speaking of authors that can be likened to PS, whenever i look for one, a certain BELINDA ALEXANDER usually comes up. Anyone read her? I can't seem to track her down, or find any of her books for that matter. :/

3/06/2007 09:53:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Harlot, you make this book sound so good. Is it really that good?

I have yet to read Paullina Simons but she's always mentioned here I might as well try. Where should I start then?

3/06/2007 11:32:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Vanessa,
Start with THE BRONZE HORSEMAN. :D Then TATIANA AND ALEXANDER. Last THE SUMMER GARDEN. The first two are now available at Amazon US. TSG, er, you have to order it from UK or Australia or NZ. Let us know if you read it, ok?


Ale,
I got GITS too but i'm saving that for last. About Shura cheating, he didn't really cheated, he stopped before sleeping with the girl. But er, do you really want to know? LOL

If you ask me, those talks about Shura cheating shouldn't stop you from reading TSG. Though, that's the same reason why it took me so long to finally start it. What bothered me more was the fight. OMG. I swear, BIGGEST FIGHT EVER. I've NEVER read anything like that. It made me cry so much i seriously couldn't breathe. :S It felt like i was watching my parents brutalize each other, oh god, just the thought makes me weak..


Sheri,
Welcome. :D Do you like love stories? Historical fiction? Books that are so compellingly beautiful it will haunt you FOREVER? (I'm serious about that forever bit LOL. It's such a powerful love story.) If you do, you should try Paullina Simons. She is, without a doubt, an AMAZING, FANTABULOUS author and a MUST READ. ;)

3/06/2007 12:45:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Harlot, I see a lot of Belinda Alexander's book on ebay. most sellers is from Australia.

which book of hers was fabulous?

I want to know for sure first because it's not cheap shipping from Australia.

I haven't started on TSG yet. I'm still on the stage of savoring the copies I finally have...if that makes sense. LOL.

3/06/2007 01:05:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Shosh,
When i finally got my copy of TSG, i danced around and kissed the book like 5 minutes or so. :P Then didn't read it. :S Was really afraid. But you know, i loved it. Of course, that's after Alexander made me so mad. :S

About Belinda Alexander, have no idea who she is. :S But she's usually mentioned connected with PS books. I can't find anything about her. I think it's WHITE LAVANDER. Or is it gardenia or orchids? I'm confused if it's all the same book but with different title (which i think is the case, though i have no proof).

3/06/2007 01:14:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Wow Harlot, that's a great review. Thanks to you BBs, I found out about Paulina Simons and although I have yet to get TSG, I read TBH and T&A. I'm not into books that make me cry but I have to admit both books are awesome. I still think of Alexander and Tatiana even after I read it for a long time now.

3/06/2007 01:52:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I checked amazon and ebay and Bronze Horseman is available at both stores. I'll try to get a copy :)

3/06/2007 02:00:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Shagging while ridding a roller coaster? LOL. Harlot, you are obsess with Paulina Simons :P. Great review anyway. :)

3/06/2007 03:34:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Harlot!!!
OMFG,I loved your review and I agree with every single word of it...but ahem,wasn't it just as I told you?LOL
Now I'm re-reading it after a year,and you know why it took me soooo long to re-read? Because I was afraid!!I was afraid to feel again the feelings I had first time,and they were so strong,so painful,so aching so...I don't even know another word,but I'm sure you get what I mean.
Tatiana and Alexander are strongly in my heart,have been for 2 years and they'll never leave...

So I also recommend the trilogy to everybody!:D

PS HArlot...so did you read The Winter Rose??Opionions???

3/06/2007 03:34:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO about the alien ship!
I love this review but I have no idea who Paullina Simons is or Shura? Is that a guy's name? It has to be or this Tatia is a man...

3/06/2007 03:46:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot your review was sooo good! I swear I felt exactly the same! Shura and Tatia were the best couple ever!
And despite what was said in that horrible horrible fight the ending more than made up for it! Dont want to ruin it completely but omg the BEST books EVER!!!!!!

But Ive read a couple of PS other books and they did not affect me any where near as much as TBH etc did. They were good. But they just werent the same.. Nothing could be the same I know, but it almost seems like a different author.
Maybe thats just me though *shrug*

3/06/2007 05:10:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

Belinda Alexander is an Australian author, and I think at this stage she has only been published here, although I think I saw something about being picked up by a US publisher but I could be getting her confused with someone else.

Her two books are White Gardenia and Wild Lavender. I have only read Wild Lavender and I would have to say that the comparisons to PS are not deserved. It wasn't a bad book but it wasn't great either.

3/06/2007 05:58:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Love this review. I wouldn't have found out about PS if it's not for you BBs. I loved TBH and T&A and I was already contented with T&A's ending so I thought there's no need for me to read TSG anymore. But after this, I think I have to get it soon.

3/06/2007 11:45:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

The Bartered Bride? I just read a book with the same title, LOL.

3/06/2007 11:46:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Evie,
I looooved THE WINTER ROSE! Actually i liked it better than THE TEA ROSE, was surprised avtually, but i was glad to see Fiona and Joe again and Seamie! I laughed, i cried, it's absolutely wonderful. You know my only complain about this book, how freaking heavy it is!!! OMG. My poor wee arms are groaning each time i pick it up!

Btw, any news of THE WILD ROSE? :D


Lindsey,
LOL Shura is a Russian name. I'm not exactly sure what it means, but it's what Tatiana (Tatia) calls Alexander. :)


Gabrielle,
Are you getting Jennifer Donnelly then? :D She is fantabulous. Love her books!


Marg,
Thanks for the Belinda Alexander info. So, erm, i shouldn't get her then, huh? :S And i thought i'd get another treat.. :(

3/07/2007 12:10:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I really like the review but I'm afraid to try something that would make me cry and cry... I have yet to read Jennifer Donelly too.

3/07/2007 12:39:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I think I have to get Paullina Simons now because of this review.

Harlot, are you sure you're not getting any commission from PS with the way you always pimp her books? :p

3/07/2007 12:47:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Im gonna go search for some JD. Hopefully I'll like her coz Im running out of good authors.

Isnt Shura like a nickname for Sasha which is a nickname for Alexander? Thats what I thought so please correct me if Im wrong lol.

Anyone who hasnt read TBH, has to! I was hesitant at first coz it looked so lengthy and I thought it was going to be something like Outlander or any of Isolde Martyns books, but I was soo wrong. They are the greatest.

3/07/2007 02:13:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Oh no Gabrielle, you didn't! Did you just compared Outlander to TBH? LOL. I'm throwing caution to the wind but I think, I THINK Harlot HATES that book. :p

Isolde Martyn? Besides TBH, I'll probably get Donnelly's too. I'm also running out of good authors. Lately, most of the books I get are all crappy. This is why I love the BBC. I can always count on Trollop and Harlot for good reads.

3/07/2007 02:25:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, a reader here from Australia. I'm delurking to say I love Paullina Simons and I love this blog. What a great review of "The Summer Garden"!


Michelle

3/07/2007 02:32:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jolie dont stress. I was not comparing in a good way. I meant that I thought it was going to be crappy lol. Please, TBH and the others are completely incomporable!

When I was told about the books they looked really long winded as in too much historical information and not enough storyline. I take back the Outlander remark. I'm Sorry!!! :D

3/07/2007 03:48:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Michelle!
Welcome. Hope you post often. :D


Gabrielle,
Jolie's just kidding LOL. Why you guys ever got the impression i LOOOOOATHE OUTLANDER is beyond me. :P

I hope you'll like JD. She has a new book coming out this May, THE WILD ROSE, 3rd book in her trilogy. Hopefully i'll be able to get a copy. Let us know what you think of TTR, owki. ;)

3/07/2007 04:00:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

About the name Shura, i once asked a Russian friend about it. She said that Shura is the Russian nickame for Alexander (like Tatiana is Tania, Tatiasha, Tatiashka). Shura is also short for Sasha (Alexander in Russia).

Someone also mentioned that he knows a Russian guy from school named Sasa (pronounced as Sasha), but he gets called Alex. Hope that helps. :D

3/07/2007 04:05:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats the first one then?? Im confused. Tea Rose? Or another one?
I doubt I'll even be able to find it. Whenever I want a good book thats been recommended to me its always unavailable. Its so cruel...

3/07/2007 04:09:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Gabrielle,

Here's JD's books in order:
- THE TEA ROSE
- THE WINDER ROSE
- THE WILD ROSE (will be released this May '07)

As for getting TTR, where are you from? If you look at amazon.com it's available there. You can get it from as low as $2.10 (minus shipping). :)

I think her books are also available at ebay and half.com. I'd love to help you get it as JD is great. Will look for other booksellers that may cater lower prices.

3/07/2007 04:26:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im in Australia. But I just checked my librarys online catologue and they have a couple of her books so I should be fine.
Thanks!

3/07/2007 04:28:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Okay, that's good. LOL

3/07/2007 04:30:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

"Why you guys ever got the impression i LOOOOOATHE OUTLANDER is beyond me. :P"

Do we love Jamie Fraser now? LOL

Gabrielle, I was just teasing, LOL. I think I'll get The Tea Rose from ebay. If not, thank god for amazon!

3/07/2007 04:34:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, thanks Jolie. Just thought I ahd to clarify myself though ;)

3/07/2007 04:36:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

LOL, just joking. I do love Jamie Fraser, I don't know why Harlot and Trollop hate him. But if I'm not mistaken Trollop doesn't like this Shura either. Mmmmm...

3/07/2007 04:40:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant comprehend that! Shura's amazing!
But to each their own I guess lol *shrug*

3/07/2007 04:42:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Re: Do we love Jamie Fraser now? LOL

Not even when he's the last man on earth. BOBs will still exist anyway!!!

I hope you girls get JD's THE TEA ROSE, and for those of you who have yet to read TBH, please do so! :D Paullina is AWESOME.

Like Gabrielle said, Shura IS amazing. Trollop just torments me with her Anti-Shura campaign. *grrr* DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT listen to the evil woman, ladies!

3/07/2007 04:47:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I need to do a reread. All this talk about Alexander Belov-Barrington is making me want to...well...read i guess :)

3/07/2007 05:12:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

Harlot, I believe that The Bartered Bride will be out in November, but Tatiana's Table will be out in about April...I think!

I swear I mentioned The Bartered Bride on the releases this year post a month or so ago!

3/07/2007 06:13:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Marg, from this Upcoming Releases? I swear you didn't! And i didn't erase anything. :P You did mention about Tatiana's book, er, can't remember when. But isn't that just a recipe book?

Anyway, even if THE BARTERED BRIDE is not due until Nov, i'm still happy LOL because it'll be this year. Thanks!

3/07/2007 08:15:00 AM  

Blogger Menchie said...

Harlot your review left me wanting to go out and buy her books IMMEDIATELY. Are they available in our side of the world?

3/07/2007 09:39:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Menchie!

Unfortunately no. :( I usually ask friends abroad to get them for me. If i don't love PS so much i wouldn't even bother since her books are way expensive (if you include the shipping). Let me see.. I think i can get you TBH. Will email later. :D

3/07/2007 10:49:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I love this review. I read TBH and T&A because of the BBs pushing LOL (thanks ladies :D) and I really love Alexander and Tatiana's story. I've yet to read TSG though since the book is hard to track down.

3/07/2007 03:21:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

Maybe not in that thread then :(.

I've made the statement in a few places...maybe just not here. Sorry.

3/07/2007 03:42:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

No LOL. Actually i'm just glad there are people here i can ask about PS stuff. :D

3/07/2007 03:52:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I got TBH because of you girls but I still haven't read it. The volume is a bit intimidating. But after this, I think I'll pick it up and finally read it. Great review.

3/08/2007 02:20:00 AM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Wow, it sounds really good. I want to get TBH because of the way Harlot talks about it but I always forget when I'm getting some books. I think it's time I read this TBH.

3/08/2007 04:03:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I finally relented and read TBH last December I think or was it January? Anyway I loved it, and until now, I sometimes find myself thinking of Alexander and Tatiana. Wonderful book!

3/08/2007 10:57:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

I think TBH and T&A are too sad for me. I read them and liked them, but not enough to get fannish about them ;) . And from what I've read about TSG, I'm not sure I want to read it...

And one of these days I will read "The Tea Rose".

3/08/2007 11:05:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Ok I just started TBH. I love the way Alexander and Tatiana met for the first time! Anyway I still have a lot of pages to read but I noticed the book doesn't have any chapters. Did you guys noticed that?

P.S. Russian names are confusing, lol.

3/09/2007 01:31:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot!

Better than T&A? Really? I don't know, I guess I just see TBH & T&A as one book since TBH is soooo not a complete story without T&A, so I grade them together.

*TSG Spoilers...*

He did too cheat! Even if it was only oral...still cheating! I was soooo disappointed, even though I acknowledge that the problems in their marriage weren't all his doing, he still was the bigger offender and I had to put the book down after that one part. I'm glad he realized that it would be totally unforgivable if he went to her in that hotel room and then decided against it. Thank GOD, he came to his senses.

He was bothering me throughout the entire book though...he was a jerk about her working and that one time when he didn't defend her to those women who were criticizing Tatiana for working. ANTHONY defended her. ANTHONY!!!

And I was bored toward the end...all that extra stuff about Anthony (who has bad taste in women, btw) bored me and that cold war stuff. It felt like she was giving me a history lesson, which I, uh, didn't need.

My favorite parts were actually the parts in Luga with Saika. I loved watching Tatiana grow up and loved the Deda scenes. He's so sweet! Love Deda!

3/16/2007 01:32:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Fine. *hmph* I was misleading, ya happy?!?! I can't believe you're back just to get me to say THAT! I did say he didn't really cheat--because he stopped before sleeping with some skank. Though, eheh, i sorta left the part when he cheated by having that blowjob. :/ (Oh god i'll never NEVER hear the end of this from Trollop.. *groan*)

I didn't want it to be the cause why people who loved TBH won't read TSG. First of all, let's all remind ourselves: PS does not write romance. This is general fiction where bad things happen to good people. Second, the whole damn book isn't about that! Though, like i said, i did got sooo fucking mad i wanted to hurt Alexander. I was so disappointed and was so frustrated he actually did it; i stopped reading it for two weeks. :/

I don't want to defend Shura. He's been an asshole. He should have defended Tatia and he shouldn't have hurt her. But like what Evie (a friend) told me, people who just came back from the war, they don't immediately return to their normal lives, life is hard for them.

TSG covers almost 2/3 of Alexander and Tatiana's life. For a TBH lover to miss it, i think that's a BIG BIG LOSS.

3/16/2007 06:02:00 AM