Saturday, April 1, 2006

Book Selection of the Month (April '06)

Last night, Trollop and I had a “little” discussion about PS’s The Bronze Horseman. I have to concede that she does have some points (dammit!) that I should take into consideration when I next reread—especially when she told me she would BEAT me with a stick if I ever let a guy treat me like Alexander did Tatiana. Yeah, I know. Who’s worried of brutality when Trollop lubs me so? :/

It’s no secret how much I love TBH. I always badger—I mean I recommend this book to people because I truly believe it’s one of those rare reads a booklover like me, who appreciates an inspiring and well-written story, should not miss.

Last week we finally announced our long-overdue project, The Bitches Book Club. :D And as promised, today, being the first of the month, it’s time to reveal our first ever book selection!!! Yayayay! Am so excited LOL.

Huh? You’ve guessed it already???

Oh, fuck that, you horrible little guessers—I’m still announcing it! Grr. Well, after much deliberation, here it is (hmph!):



The Bronze Horseman
by Paullina Simons


These three questions are to be pondered while reading the book; we will discuss them at length the first day of the discussion:
  • Tatiana matures during the book. Would you say the book is more about her coming of age than the romance between herself and Alexander?
  • Does Tatiana develop her personal strength during the course of events? Does she gather it from her relationship with Alexander, or is it inherent in her personality?
  • How do your feelings/thoughts about Alexander evolve throughout the book?
From April 24 to 28, we will be having a colloquium in which we’ll post the remaining questions (one per day, starting the second day), during which we’ll exchange our different views on the topics supplied. I’m sure this will get pretty heated. LOL

For those who have read the book, please wait for the 24th to start exposing your thoughts/comments, as to not spoil it for the ones that haven’t read it.

I have done a search for used and new editions of TBH, for those of you who want to buy a copy. Here are some nice options:
That’s it for now. Until then!


Related:

Labels: , ,


11 comment(s):

Blogger Marg said...

Yay...I have been meant to be rereading this already..haven't got very far! This is extra impetus. Can't wait for the discussion to begin!

4/01/2006 09:38:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*acting so surprised* oh, really??? cool!!! :P

4/01/2006 09:53:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Actually, we wanted to start with Harry Potter. But kinda tricky with that one. The best pick of course would be Book 6. But, what about those who have yet to read the previous books? They have to catch up and read all of them (i know! should be illegal not to read HP lol).

Anyway, if there's any questions regarding our book club and this month's selection, jsut ask away! :D

4/02/2006 05:05:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choice. Since I just finished TBH it will kill me to wait all month to talk about it! But I think I can handle it.

Happy Reading everyone!

4/02/2006 09:09:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, this is not my typical romance read, but I'll see if I can track done a copy at my local UBS and give it a try.

4/02/2006 02:02:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

2nd amdt,
What type of romance do you like?

TBH is very well-written and it is really a good story. If you want romance, i promise there is one. :) I hope you'll be able to get it! :D

4/02/2006 04:08:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh crap. So does that mean I'm going to have to put up with MORE talk about this bloody book? LOL.

I don't think I can take it :P

4/02/2006 10:28:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mostly I stick to romantic suspense. I tend not to like longer books, so shy away from the historicals. I find myself buying a lot of categories, as opposed to single title books, though I do like several romantica authors.

Reading for me is my major down-time, so I drift towards books that IMO you don't need to think about. Some of the historicals get so caught up in the history end of things, it makes it difficult for me to just relax and enjoy the story.

I would imagine the majority of what I read would not be the subject of a book club. ;-)

TBH sounds like it has some seriousnous to it. Not my usual "mindless drivel", but reading it with the intent to discuss it may give a different motive to my reading.

4/02/2006 10:42:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for my sis to finally finish this book so I can read & comment. Does anyone have a whip I can borrow? BB's?

4/03/2006 12:48:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

2nd amdt,
Romantic suspense is not my fave genre (though i love Linda Howard). I prefer light fun reads too, such as Jenny Crusie books.

But when it comes to historicals, i read everything: from really funny ones (Jill Barnett, Julia Quinn, old Garwood books) to high drama (Judith Ivory, Connie Brockway, Gaelen Foley).

I do LOVE historical fiction. Philippa Gregory, Tracy Chevalier, Emma Donoghue, etc. But i have to say Paullina Simons is my fave. :D I hope you'll be able to join us!

4/03/2006 06:15:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Aggie,

You should be asking Bawdy for that. I believe she has a spare one you can borrow. ;)

4/03/2006 06:16:00 AM