Thursday, March 23, 2006

Mom, look, I can read!

Psssstt! Everyone, come here. Come on, get closer...

I have some very exciting news! No, no, closer even—don’t worry I wont bite (unless you are very hot man covered in Nutella LOL). Now that everyone is paying attention, I want some drum rolls please...

THE BOOK BITCHES ARE STARTING A BOOK CLUB! HURRAH!!!

Since we started this blog, we had this project in the back of our minds; but lazy asses that we are, we’ve just gotten around to setting guidelines and working out how we’ll organize this monthly event.

The first day of April, we’ll be announcing our first book selection. Until then, here are the basic book club guidelines we’ve decided on:
  • Book selections will be announced the first day of the month; the discussion will begin the last week of the same month (specific dates will be posted ahead of time).
  • Book discussion will be active for five days after the start date (though, post and comments will be recorded on archives for further perusal).
  • There will be approximately 5-6 questions per book (we do not want our readers typing answers until their poor little fingers fall off LOL).
  • Some of the questions will be posted when the “Book Selection of the Month” is announced, so participants can mull them over while they read. The rest will be posted when discussion officially starts.
  • Anyone that has read the book can participate; the more people that join, the more interesting and diverse the discussion will be.
During the actual book discussion, to make things as clear as possible, we encourage participants to use these guidelines when posting their comments, or referring to another poster’s reply: I agree because... I disagree because... I also noticed... I’d like to add that... I didn’t understand... Say more about what you mean... I don’t understand what you mean... Can you show me where that is in the text/illustration?... What is your evidence... Why do you think that?... I think the author meant... How do you know that?... We’re getting far away from the text... What does the author say that makes you think that?

Labels: ,


6 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

Yay! Excited already. LOL Thanks babe. :D

Anyway, i think calling our selection "Book Selection of the Month" is good. But any one who has a better title to call it, we are open for suggestions. :D Or any other suggestions regarding our upcoming book discussion. I do think these guidelines are perfect already, nothing long and not complicated. But anything that might improve it is always welcome. :D

3/23/2006 02:40:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

You know I love a bookclub!!

Can't wait to see what books are chosen!

3/23/2006 05:03:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! Can't wait to see what first book is.

How about "Bitchin Book of the Month"

3/23/2006 08:20:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great news!!!
I guess I'll have to come up with a witty user name. I've always been anonymous here. LOL

Looking foward to the discussions.

3/23/2006 03:04:00 PM  

Blogger Tart said...

Sounds cool. But, um, I'm too lazy to join. So I'll just watch from the sidelines (yelling my 2 cents opinion at ya LOL).

3/23/2006 09:16:00 PM  

Blogger Yvonne said...

Looking forward to being a part of the book club!

3/25/2006 09:47:00 AM