Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Someone fucking shoot me and put me out of my misery!

Gone too Far by Suzanne Brockmann is the sorriest excuse for a book I’ve read in months, and let me tell you, I read a LOT of crap.

You might say it’s unfair of me to criticize this book, seeing as I’ve skipped well over 100 pages, but if you’d read it yourself, you’d give me a medal of honor for having continued with this piece of baby doodle after the first three chapters.

This Sam individual is always whining—that’s all he does. He cries and begs and irritates the hell out of me with his wimpy attitude. This man needs a spinal cord transplant because I need to tell you, HE DOESN’T HAVE ONE!

Don’t even let me get started on Alyssa. This woman is so mean and vicious it is beyond me why ANYONE, let alone two men, would be in love with her. She is always yelling and saying horrible things to whiny Sam/Roger/Ringo—not that he doesn’t deserve it; but could someone please explain what these two fuckwits have in common, and why in gad’s name have they been paired up in this book?

But what has me banging my head against a wall until I’m so numb that I can’t feel anything anymore, is the horrible writing by SB: it’s boring and lame, and let’s please chip in to buy this woman a thesaurus. If I have to read “aching,” “sweet,” “jesus,” “god,” “oh, um,” “like, you know” and/or “mocha colored” again, I will seriously think of slicing my own wrists to stop the insanity.

At this moment I’m thinking that SB is really a 5th grade boy masquerading as a romance author. There is no coherence between one paragraph and the next; her story line is all over the place (I have to be following at least 6-7 plots at the same time), and she has pages and pages and pages of endless, stupid, eternally boring and repetitive dialogue! This book could have been written in 20 pages or less. SB, get yourself a fucking editor because you REALLY need one.

And, I’m still reading. *sigh* I know! This makes me even more pathetic than Sam, which is no small feat I assure you. Thing is, inside me lives this evil little creature who enjoys these awful books and forces me to keep reading even when I’ve almost passed out from the unbearable pain. But even worse, this evil little bitch just made me bid on four more SEAL’s books by SB, because now, I really need to know what it is others find so irresistible about this series, and I’m sure as hell not going to find it in Gone too Far.

Labels: , ,


17 comment(s):

Blogger t said...

hmm, strange site,and quite sad if you ask me. Why continuously put down other authors? Something tells me you are no literary experts. Has one of you ever attempted to write a novel? MAybe then you would realise the process is actually quite difficult. I hope your bad karma does not rebound to you, but you should try giving more love and support to others, this website shows a very unhealthy side yo yourselves. Sry, this is just how it seems to somebody who does not understand meaningless critism for pleasure.Love and light, L

3/14/2006 07:24:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Lumiel, babe, you obviously haven't read our blog LOL. Anyway, i'm sorry that you find it strange just because we voice our opinion. We do not use bullshit here, and prefer to giving it straight to our readers (er, is this what you mean when you said meaningless?). Of course if the book/author deserves a praise, we also do that. We give credit to those who are due. :D

3/14/2006 08:03:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Gotta share. :P

Last night, Trollop bid for two set of books on Ebay. One SB lot (don't ask why), and the other, chic lit lot--a very attractive 12 chic lit books, i have to say. I almost died laughing when she kept praying someone should outbid her for the SB books and then end up winning them. LOL Oh, what's that? What about the chic lit books? She lost them, of course. LOL!!!

3/14/2006 08:09:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trollop, you crack me up! you have me LMAO as usual.
As for Ebay, have been bidding for that massive amount of Janet Evanovich Plum books. Had to go and read the first one, now I have to finish them off but am too cheap to buy at store, lol, so am hoping for deal on Ebay. Will surely get outbid since I forget to check it. lol. No attention span.

Now, Lumiel, don't knock the bitches, it pisses their fans off.
Half my TBR list is filled with their recs, it's a long list.

3/14/2006 09:27:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Aggie!
Tart is the one from NZ, and *ahem* i think, yes, she likes to panel her BF's rear. LOL :P I'm sure she won't mind telling you where she get her books. Am actually jelous of Tart's bookstores as Paullina Simons (have you read her?) books are easily accessible to her. :S



Trollop,
Oh, i sure hope you like them babe. I mean, really, to actually FIGHT and OUTBID OTHER PEOPLE just to get your hands on those SB books, hmm.. am thinking these books are probably very precious (am trying not to laugh--i swear!!!).

3/14/2006 09:38:00 AM  

Blogger Rowena said...

LOL! Oh my ears are ringing, but I respect that you don't like my fav Sam!!! Like I said yesterday different strokes for different folks, but it's okay sweets I still love reading your honesty and I forgive you for not liking my Sam! LMAO!! j/k. That's okay though, I'll love him enough for the both of us!

But PLEASEEEEE!!! Check out the other books first and read Sam's back story and then if you still hate the crap out of him, I'll admit defeat and still love the hell out of him!

((((((Trollop))))))))))

Happy Reading...or not! ;)

3/14/2006 02:00:00 PM  

Blogger krusty the baker said...

I was just passing by, just thought I'd say I like what I read, good stuff all. You're right guys, knickers to Lumiel; if I put an opinion or statement in the public space I must expect comment, whether I like it or not. So if I publish my crap book, I must be prepared for people to say it's crap, even if I don't think it is. That's the way it is.

3/14/2006 02:35:00 PM  

Blogger Nika said...

Ladies,
I've been reading your blog for a week or so now, Thank you for your honesty! It's cool to see that the love of books has not completely faded into the abyss of life with T.V. Don't get me wrong, even I love a few T.V. shows, but there is no true comparison to one's own imagination. Having said that, I love all your ranting and ravings!! It reminds me of being back with my best girls and having our famous "bitch fests." Again thanks for the laughs and critiques!

3/14/2006 02:56:00 PM  

Blogger Cementkitten said...

I've never read any of the books that are discussed on this blog. Honestly, I probably never will because I'm not really into the romance genre. But I have to say that I have really enjoyed reading this blog. It's good to know that if I ever do decide to read a romance novel, I'll know where I can get an honest review.

3/14/2006 03:39:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hullo everyone and welcome, you guys. :D I've never read Brockmann and now just waiting for Trollop to suffer from her new acquired SB books--i mean, waiting for her to give me an account of them. :P LOL


Cementkitten, what kind of books do you read? Trollop and Bawdy read books from different genres, from chic lit to religious themed books. Tart reads almost everything!--she reads the most between us four, and me, i love historical fiction. Of course, we have a few good romance recs if you want to start reading some awesome love stories. :D

3/14/2006 05:16:00 PM  

Blogger butterfly cocoon said...

Here's a tip: if you don't like the book and you've read to about half way. STOP.
Give it to the library or return for you $$.
If you force yourself to finish a book that's making you miserable, you haven't come to appreciate, yet, the gift of time.

3/14/2006 05:38:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm i was going to read a Suzanne Brockmann book, b/c people said such good things now im not sure. if you want a great author sherilyn kenyon/kinley macgregor and karen marie moning :)

3/14/2006 09:05:00 PM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

Hey...I love Sam. I like him a lot until he had his own book. I think he was more intresting as a side story than the main guy. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I feel about him as a character.

I did really like the back story he has as a child...after that, the book is not the best one in my story. I think too much anticipation and all that hype ruined it for me...same with Max and Gina.

I like these two couples when they're not the main menu. That said, I think Brockmann delivers entertaining books. Even if painful some of the times.

3/15/2006 02:31:00 AM  

Blogger Rowena said...

Ooh I liked David and Mallory's story too in The Unsung Hero...David was such a cutie nerd!

3/15/2006 01:31:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of shitty books. I just read the worst chick lit I have ever read, no wait, second worst. It had such potential too. LOL at some parts then I just sat there stunned at the bad writting.

3/15/2006 05:35:00 PM  

Blogger Rowena said...

Ooh Vixen, you HAVE to tell us what book you're talking about because I just bought a whole shit load of chick lit books and I'm hoping and praying that the book you're talking about isn't in that pile....

3/21/2006 03:26:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The appeal of Sam and Alyssa is all about the payoff after seeing them interact in the other novels of the series. So, if "Gone Too Far" is the first one you read, then you missed the whole setup.

Sam is so not my favorite though. That'd be Kenny 'Wildcard' Carmody, computer geek and SEAL wrapped up into one. Start with his story, "Out of Control."

My second favorite is Nihls, a linguist, in "The Defiant Hero."

6/20/2007 09:57:00 AM