Sunday, March 5, 2006

F*@%** sadist excerpt withholders should be shot!

I’ve always enjoyed reading Susan Carroll and from the moment I found out about her upcoming book, The Silver Rose, I have been expectantly waiting for an excerpt. I first learned about this book, oh, I don’t know, a year ago? And now, two days before its official release, there’s still no excerpt available?!—anywhere!!! WHAT THE FUCK?

I don’t know if I’m the only one outraged by this, but this is not funny, people! This is negligence and irresponsibility at its worst—not to mention driving the obsessive Book Bitch in me batty beyond belief, leaving me no choice but to maniacally check Amazon and the publisher’s site, Ballantine, EVERY FUCKING DAY, just to see if that stupidly missing excerpt will FINALLY appear—and honestly, why should I be forced to this when it should have been there in the first place!!!

Okay... *deep breath*

I can be patient if I have to; I usually even wait for the paperback copies to be released because I can’t afford a hardcover (okay, I’m cheap). But this no excerpt thing is asking way too much of me! I wonder if Ms. Carroll is aware of this shitty carelessness and atrocious lack of concern for her book. Unless she’s like J.K. Rowling who likes to torture her fans, I’m guessing no, as this does nothing but hurt her sales. Hmm...

Even if an author is an auto-buy for me, I still read the blurb before I actually buy the book. HEL-LO. Books are very expensive nowadays and some even cost more than a blowjob (I’ve heard!). A simple excerpt/blurb is such a small thing for the publishers/authors to give their fans. No. Wait. Let me rephrase that. It’s their DUTY to the readers to give it to us and withholding it is nothing but a vile, VILE thing to do!

Now before I get mad again and dive for Nutella, I have to ask: Would you buy a book without even knowing what’s it about, just because you love the author? Isn’t it unreasonable and unfair that they’re marketing a book without a blurb/excerpt?

Labels: , ,


9 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a book is coming out that's a part of a series I really like I don't care if it has an excerpt I'll just buy it. I can't not finish a series if I've been hooked on it from the beginning.
I have noticed on Barnes and Noble they don't have the excerpt up for books coming out soon. It drives me nuts and I will think twice about buying except if the cover is appealing. It's not a good reason to buy a book but if I like the author and I like the cover I'll still by the book if I haven't read the excerpt.
So yes, I have bought a book despite not reading an excerpt.

3/05/2006 02:49:00 PM  

Blogger Marlene D. Malone said...

Ladies I will have to agree on this one. But it does seem that a practice back in the 1960's and before was to have an author give a reading of a portion of their book to whet the public's appetite. God how I wish they still did that! :o)

Oh ladies I made a post on my blog dedicated to you. By all means feel free to check it out.

3/05/2006 05:34:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, babe, you seem a little peeved LOL.

It doesn't really bother me if there aren't excerpts. I tend to buy on reviews (not Amazon ones, they aren't worth monkey crap), so I don't read the excerpts anyway.

If there is an excerpt, all it does is make me want the book earlier! I read the excerpt for Don't Look Down by Crusie/Mayer last year and I so want the book! Isn't not released until April. Argh... :D

3/05/2006 10:12:00 PM  

Blogger Newsandseduction said...

interesting opinions.

3/05/2006 11:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Harlot! You mustn't keep it all inside. Express yourself girl! This pent-up feelings is not good...:P

I don't care for excepts one way or another, but yeah, I get royally pissed off if they don't put one up just in case I want to read it.

Besides, what kind of nincompoop marketing is an except-less book? I feel you Harlot.

3/05/2006 11:56:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone finds an excerpt please share.

3/06/2006 09:37:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Still no excerpt!

I hate this. Amazon and Ballentine should be more responsible than this. I mean, honestly, how hard it is to even just copy and type the short book description found at the back cover? :S

3/07/2006 04:33:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Aw.. Marlene,

Thanks for the article. It was lovely. :) We're very flattered and glad that somehow, we're actually doing some poeple a service. LOL And to push people back/into reading, that's awesome. :)

I've never read Toni Morrison but i believe Bawdy has. MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA is one of my fave books. Trollop and i are HP fans too (not as crazy for the movies though :P).

Btw, hi to your hubby. :D I like him as we both think Narnia is a bad movie LOL.

3/07/2006 04:43:00 AM  

Blogger Marlene D. Malone said...

Oh boy... :o)

Thanks ladies for the nice comments on my blog. Reading has always been a stress reliever for me, so it's a good thing I ran into you girls last year. And a couple of my co-workers have gotten curious enough to join me at lunch to read books of their own.

Hmmm, Marlene's Book Club...has a nice ring to it LOL

3/07/2006 08:35:00 AM