Wednesday, March 1, 2006

By the way, have you ever heard the words I'm singing in these songs? -Smashing Pumpkins, Muzzle

Billboard magazine has been publishing the most authoritative pop chart each and every week since 1940. It started out as a list of the best-selling records in the country. In 1958, the “Hot 100” chart was born, incorporating sales and radio airplay data into a single chart.

What was the #1 song in the U.S.A. the day you were born? The day you graduated from high school? The day you were married? Select a month to continue.


This is a transcript from a very simple, but cool site hosted by John Hosler, in which with an exact day, month and year, you can find out which was the number one song in the U.S. when you were born, got married, graduated from college/high school, lost your virginity, went on your first date, had your first kiss, etc.

These are some of my results:

Birthday: “Keep on Loving You” by REO Speedwagon
Er, no fucking clue as to what song or group this is!

First kiss: “Creep” by TLC
OMG, prophetic song! Had I known then what I know now... Nah! Still would have snogged him all through Mrs. Doubtfire LOL. He was a pretty good kisser for a fourteen-year-old. :P

First official date: “Too Close” by Next
Okay, this is freaking me out. WHO ARE THESE SINGERS/SONGS? I’m thinking this Hosler guy a) made all this up, or b) these are from the Country Music charts, which would so explain why I don’t know them!

Graduated from HS: “The Boy is Mine” by Brandy & Monica
Huh? Never in my life have I heard of this song. I know who Brandy is though, *gag* but who in gad’s name is Monica?

Graduated from University: “Lose Yourself” by Eminem
HURRAH! Finally a song/singer I know LOL, was getting worried there.

Now, shoo, go on, check out your special date songs—then come back and let us know about them.

Labels:


11 comment(s):

Blogger Marlene D. Malone said...

Hmmmmm....

day I was born: Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight

HS Graduation: More than Words

Date married: No More Scrubs by TLC

Date I checked into drug rehab: This is How we Do It by Montel Jordan

Day my mom died: Hero by Mariah Carey (how fitting)

3/01/2006 09:55:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birthday - Best of My Love by The Eagles
First Date w/ husband - I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston (Eww)
Engaged - Candle In The Wind by Elton John
Wedding Day - The First Night by Monica (yeah, who's that?)
Couldn't tell you when first kiss, lost virginity, graduation dates where. This shows my memory loss.

Love this post, very fun!

3/01/2006 11:26:00 PM  

Blogger Tart said...

How do you guys remember stuff like first kiss and first date? I can barely remember what I had for breakfast today let alone stuff that happened 15 years ago.

But, I do remember these events...

Day I was born – The Night Chicago Died (Paper Lace). Who? Never heard of it.

Last day of High School – I Will Always Love You (Whitney Houston). Euw.

21st Birthday – Waterfalls (TLC). Oh, I like this one.

Day niece #1 was born – Macarena (Los Del Rio). Oh, my niece loved that song, she’s pump her fat little arms and legs whenever this came on the radio LOL.

Day I moved to Japan - I'll Be Missing You (Puff Daddy & Faith Evans). How appropriate. I was quite upset leaving, as I’d just met this amazing guy and fallen madly in love (he waited for me and we met up a year later in London *sigh* LOL).

Day niece #2 was born – Incomplete (Sisqo). Hmm, don’t know this one.

Day met current BF – In Da Club (50 Cent). I think this was playing at the party where I met him LOL.

Day nephew was born – Goodies (Ciara). Don’t remember this one either.

3/01/2006 11:51:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes first kisses are better missed...

Birthday: Southern Nights by Glen Campbell (????!!!!!)
First period: Like a prayer by Maddonna (yes! really fitting!).
First kiss with J: U remind me by Usher.
Day I bouhgt MY lovely appartment: Yeah by Usher (too much Usher?).

E.

3/02/2006 06:59:00 AM  

Blogger Currin Girl said...

I'm blushing, because as a child who was spoonfed MTV when it first came out, I LURVED Keep on Loving You and the whole REO Speedwagon/Journey/Styx genre. Has it been that long????

Mine are:
Day my parents conceived (It may be TMI, but they decided I really needed to know this anyway) ... "Rock Me Gently" by Andy Kim (um?)

Day I was born... "Love Will Keep Us Together" by The Captain & Tennille

Day I lost my virginity ... "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston (Except I didn’t)

Day I graduated from high school ... "That's the Way Love Goes" by Janet Jackson

Day I met my hub... "Baby Boy" by Beyoncé featuring Sean Paul

3/02/2006 12:09:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I happen to love Reo Speedwagon!

Anyway...

Day born: "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco (Now who the fuck is this?)

First boyfriend: "I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy & Faith Evans featuring 112

Somehow, those are the only memorable dates I could think of. Oh and by the way, I'm a big fan. And bitches, I notice you guys are into erotica (especially Harlot). I'd like to recommend you some books. How can I contact you?

3/02/2006 01:57:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hi Anon,

Oh thanks! Please email us, we would love some great recs. :D

LOL. It might shock you, but the only erotica books i've read are those from Susan Johnson. And it's funny, because it may sound stupid, i actually really enjoyed some of her books. Love the history part and yes, i didn't mind the unbelievable "fairytale" thingy that always hover around the almost nonexistent plot--her heroes are always the most handsomest, most well-endowed, richest, tallest, yada yada, while the heroines are always the most bbeautiful, most popular, thightest, etc etc. They fall in love too soon too LOL. But somehow, i liked that. :P And yes, the hot sex scenes were always a treat. :D

I'm not into "real" hardcore though. I mean like anal sex (ugh), S&M, threesomes, somewhere that includes a horse/dog or any animal for that matter.. :S

3/02/2006 02:52:00 PM  

Blogger Rowena said...

How funny!! Monica is a black singer, she's got a good voice! I used to listen to her back in the day. Never cared for Brandy though, Ewww...my dates:

The day I was born: Lady by Kenny Rogers...yep, I'm a lady..LOL.
My first kiss: Something About the Way You Look Tonight/Candle in the Wind by Elton John. Awww.
Lost My Virginity: Doo Wop by Lauren Hill...LMAO, this one is hilarious, had I listened to the lyrics for this song a little more...
The day My daughter was born: Smooth by Rob Thomas. Umm, okay.

That was good fun, thanks bitches, you rock!

3/02/2006 03:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone else noticed Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You" has popped up for a few of us? Either that icky song was way over loved or we had one heck of a month between us.

3/02/2006 03:59:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

eww! 14 weeks?
I do recall it being played a lot at dances my last semester of high school.
Ugh that makes me feel old! lol

3/02/2006 04:35:00 PM  

Blogger dad said...

You have to be kidding me that you don't know who REO Speedwagon is? Even if you don't you should know the song "Keep on Loving You"

3/10/2006 10:46:00 PM