Sunday, September 3, 2006

Book Selection of the Month (September '06)

Our BBC selection for this month was supposed to be our first BBC ever, but there were no questions available and I’m a horribly lazy bitch LOL. Anyway, I’ve finally managed to put together a reading guide for Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keyes, making this wonderful book our September ’06 BBC selection.



Those who know me, or at least those who have no hearing impairments LOL, know that I love Marian Keyes. Her combination of sarcastic wit and incomparable laugh-out-loud humor, paired with serious subjects like infidelity, divorce, drug addiction, depression and bereavement, have made her books like non others in the women’s fiction market of today.

I have yet to read a book by her that I didn’t love, Rachel’s Holiday being my favorite one to date and one of my all time favorite reads. There is so much to this novel, starting with Luke Costello, *sigh* continuing with Rachel and the Walsh family, John Joe, The Real Men *ayee caramba* Chaquie, Sister Josephine and, of course, ending with Luke Costello. *sigh* I have to be honest here, if you don’t like this book, there is something seriously wrong with you! LOL Read it, and if you don’t enjoy it, I’m telling you right now, you better lie to me. Grrr.

So, are you guys ready to take the Rachel’s Holiday vacation with me? A little trip together where we’ll get to visit NYC, Ireland and that wonderful celebrity retreat, “The Cloisters.” *g*
  • What is your first impression of Rachel and the situation she’s in? How do your views about her change throughout the book? Do you find yourself liking Rachel more or less as the book progresses? Why?
  • Did you believe Rachel when she said that her drug/alcohol abuse was just normal “party” behavior? How does her relationship towards illegal substances differ from those of her best friend Bridgit?
  • How do you view Luke? What do you think drew Rachel and him together? Is he good for Rachel, or is he just another chip on her shoulder?
  • How has Rachel’s relationship with her family, especially her mother, shaped her life? Do you think their dynamic with each other will ever change or just the way Rachel lets it affect her?

Related:

Labels: ,


15 comment(s):

Blogger Isabella said...

Hurrah!!! Finally an MK book! Great choice, Trollop!

9/03/2006 01:37:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I was wondering when are you ladies going to post the new BBC book. You're a day late! :P

9/03/2006 02:07:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

Oh excellent!! I already have this on request at the library!

9/03/2006 05:13:00 AM  

Blogger green eyed godess said...

Awesome choice! I love MK!

9/03/2006 06:25:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

SWEET!

9/03/2006 08:45:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I love chic lit! Excellent choice Trollop!

9/03/2006 12:36:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I love MK, one of my favorite authors. Her newest one, Anybody Out There? is another book with a Walsh sister. I loved it!

9/03/2006 02:51:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I've yet to read MK but heard a lot of good things about her books. I like laugh out loud funny novels! Will get a copy soon. LOL

9/03/2006 02:52:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I have this on my to be read pile! Isn't this book part of a series? By the way, suggesting one of my favorite books by Sarah Dunant The Birth of Venus for future BBC discussion. :)

9/03/2006 04:06:00 PM  

Blogger Lola Lovegood said...

Great pick Trollop. Marian keyes is fabulous!

9/03/2006 05:19:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I was wondering when are we going to get a Marian Keyes book for BBC and somehow I've always known it's gonna be either Anybody Out There or Rachel's Holiday. :P Great pick!

9/03/2006 08:34:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I'm soooo hoping i'll LOATHE this book. *g*

9/03/2006 10:11:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MK is a great author. Of course I might only be saying that because I'm afraid of Trollop. LOL! Great pick!

- Olly

9/03/2006 11:55:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Excellent. I already have a copy. LOL I've only read two MK, Watermelon and Last Chance Saloon. Both very good!

9/04/2006 03:30:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Danielle, I've read Watermelon and didn't like it as much. I mean, I thought it was just okay. Haven't read Rachel's Holiday though. Perfect timing, Trollop!

9/04/2006 03:43:00 PM