Monday, August 21, 2006

What the fuck?


This is the new Paradise cover.

The shoreline, I take it, is Chicago.

That seems to be a balcony of sorts. Where you might ask? I’ve not one clue.

But who, pray tell, are those fucking plastic looking individuals in the front? Ya know, the shadowy couple getting it on in the top part of the cover art?!?!

I want someone to explain to me why Ken’s teenage gay lover is clinched to the orgasmic brunette in a book where Matt-the-sexiest-hottest-hero-ever and Meredith, who is BLOND BTW, should be posing!

WHO THE FUCK ARE THOSE?

I HATE THIS COVER. *GRRRRR*


[Added, 23 August 06]
Editing to quote Judith McNaught’s thoughts on the new Paradise cover:


Due to a communications glitch, I had no idea there was going to be a new cover [for Paradise] until I opened a piece of mail forwarded to me from Houston and pulled the actual cover out of the envelope. (Normally, I would have seen the proposed cover artwork well in advance and approved or rejected it.)

As to the cover itself, I don’t know what I think—except that the faces on it don’t fit my image of Matt and Meredith. It’s a striking color, though...

... The new cover for Paradise, with the sudden addition of “faces” on it, is the first time that’s happened to one of my books, and to be brutally honest, the male model they used doesn’t look like my idea of Matt Farrell at all. Besides that, he looks 25 instead of 35. What’s much worse is that, on the actual cover, his lips and eyelids are so dark that he almost looks like he’s wearing lipstick and eye shadow. To sum it up in one short sentence, the guy creeps me out.

The female model they used is very pretty, but she has dark-ish hair. Meredith was a natural blond with a “Grace Kelly” kind of perfection to her features. Despite those two differences, I don’t object to having her face on the cover of my book.

Labels: , , ,


18 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh, yuck. *cringe*

My poor Matt. *sniff*

8/21/2006 11:08:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

So now i have to fucking see this... THING everytime i check up on blog??? Oh good lord. :S


Jolie, Hotmama,
Something Wonderful is my favorite romance book evah--oh i love that book! *sigh* It's just, i love Matt Farrell more. *g*

8/21/2006 11:56:00 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

WTF? This sucks. It's obviously an attempt to sell more. The old cover was a nice contemporary cover and this cover is cheesy and the couple ruins it because NO one could hold a candle to Matt *sigh*

Hotmama, LMAO, with the balcony!

I'm feeling left out, I suppose I should get off my arse and ready Something Wonderful?

8/22/2006 08:08:00 AM  

Blogger Valeen said...

Ugh!

I much prefer the previous cover!

8/22/2006 08:59:00 AM  

Blogger T-girl said...

Am I the only one who noticed this is the same cover as JR WARDS Dark Lover? Sorry, I am on a vampire kick right now and keep reading this damn book over and over, maybe that is why I noticed BUT... it is the same colar basically AND the same people!

8/22/2006 10:36:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

OMG what an ugly cover! I can't believe they actually thought this looks better than the previous one.

T-girl you're right. This is the same as JR Ward's cover!

8/22/2006 10:56:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I hate clinch covers, especially those that has Fabio on it. That guy may not be Fabio but still, it's awfully bad. So embarrassing to read these covers in public. LOL

8/22/2006 11:52:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Oh, euw.

8/22/2006 02:41:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be the new/hot thing in publishing to have the most generic cover possible because Linda Howard has had very similar, IMO, covers on her last 3 or 4 books. @@

B O R I N G !!! :-/

8/22/2006 05:18:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I'm not offended by the cover so much as BORED!!! What, where they thinking that if they could bore people into a coma, then they could sell them the book without them recovering till they get home? It is strange because I thought book covers where meant to inspire not look like slight embarressing wall paper.

it is so sad

8/22/2006 07:32:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I agree with Kelly. Romance genre has a way of producing the same covers over and over again. And usually when a trend starts, you'll be hard pressed not to see 4-5 other books that have the same covers. For example that headless couple cover, this is very popular still. Liz Carlyle, Gaelen Foley, Lorraine Heath have them.

8/22/2006 09:41:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a coincidence! I am re-reading Paradise for the nth time now! Yeah, Meredith is blonde (young Grace Kelly) and Matt is tanned! The previous cover, the one I am reading is better, color and all.

LOL here on the balcony, MMIYC idea. The make must be a fan of Bodie and Portia. :)

Anyway, I love Something Wonderful too. It was my first JM and definitely a good start!

8/22/2006 10:13:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I thought the cover of my copy is bad (flowery and looks really cheesy) but this one is worse. I'm with CB, I too hate clinch covers. And please, no Fabio or any of his naked brothers!

8/23/2006 12:30:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Cora, I've always pictured Meredith as a young Grace Kelly. I can't recall if she's described in the book like that. Anywho, I like Meredith but there were times she's acted like a dumb blond. In the first place, why on earth would anyone wants to stay away from Matt Farrell?

8/23/2006 12:53:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Phew. I feel a little better knowing that JM didn't like it either. That guy is def. not waht I picture Matt looking like.

8/23/2006 04:18:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

This usually happens. The characters are described differently in the story from the ones they show on the cover. If you're going to do "clinch" at least make sure it's right. Jeez.

8/23/2006 07:54:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Thanks, Trollop. It's good to know JM doesn't like the cover either. And she's right. I don't care about Meredith but the "Matt" in this cover looks like an eye-shadow wearing punk. Yikes!

8/24/2006 01:39:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That drag queenesk 20 year old boy is not matt!

8/24/2006 06:16:00 PM