Sunday, November 27, 2005

My first romance: Absolutely something wonderful

They say you will always remember your first. That it’s special, influential, unique. Even more if it’s the first book that made you sigh and dream of romantic silliness that nevertheless helped shape the way you see things in a relationship.

I will be forever grateful to Judith McNaught for introducing me to the fascinating world of London’s haute ton. Its glamorous balls, handsome dukes, valiant knights, courageous ladies, chivalrious men, scorching passion and unforgettable happy endings. For me, it all started with Something Wonderful.

Never before had I met a heroine like the incomparable Alexandra Lawrence, or a hero like Jordan Townsend, the young disillusioned duke, who, at times, was so arrogant it was infuriating! (Seriously, there were scenes he should be whacked in his hard head!) But as each chapter passed, his true self started showing under all that cynicism. His scenes with Alexandra were truly mesmerizing.

Furthermore, the story’s flow was both magnetic and irresistible; not your average “reformed rake is saved by the love of naive girl.” Oh, it’s about so much more than that.

I felt for Alex when society made fun of her devotion to Jordan and her apparent lack of knowledge about his wickedness. I cried with her every time Jordan acted like a maddening fuck. Though, Jordan had some difficulties too; mainly not knowing who was tirelessly trying to kill him.

There are many unforgettable and really funny scenes in this book. One of my favorites is during Alex’s (almost) second wedding; just priceless. The simple yet staggering love scenes were also something to cherish. From their playfulness at the beginning, to the heart-quenching situations nearing the end, *sigh* it was ALL splendid. Of course, the book is not without its flaws (i.e. Alex’s eye color kept changing; inaccuracy about Jordan’s age), but those were irrelevant, if anything, against the wildly romantic and poignant love story—definitely one of the most beautiful I’ve ever read. This book is something wonderful indeed.

Labels: , ,


2 comment(s):

Blogger Tart said...

Oh, I like this one too. One of my fave Judith McNaughts (her latest stuff is dire I tell you, dire! LOL). And I've never seen that cover before, quite nice. Mine is the British publisher version, very "Harlequin" LOL.

11/28/2005 12:28:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love this one too...sigh.

11/28/2005 02:43:00 AM