Friday, August 3, 2007

10 little things about Megan McCafferty


Hola gorgeous readers! Y’all know we are YA gaga over here at TBB. So you can just imagine our delight that YA star and beloved author of the Jessica Darling series, Megan McCafferty, is visiting us. *squee!* :D Her first novel, Sloppy Firsts, is an ALA Top 10 Quick Pick for Reluctant Readers, an ALA Popular Paperback, and a New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age. Its sequel, Second Helpings, was also selected to the NYPL list and a Booklist Editor’s Pick for one of the best novels of 2003. Charmed Thirds was an instant New York Times bestseller and a NYPL pick.

As a big yippee-ki-yay for her new book, we’re going to give away a copy of Fourth Comings (on sale this August 7th). Anyone can participate. All you have to do is leave a comment, telling us why you love YA or Ms. McCafferty. (TROLLOP, NO, FOR THE LAST TIME YOU CANNOT ENTER YOUR NAME! Geesh.) Now, as a preview of her guest bitchin’ tomorrow, here are some facts about Megan:

1. Favorite comfort food: An overstuffed chicken or veggie burrito with a side of guacamole.

2. Weirdest thing you like to eat: I don’t think I eat anything too weird. I freeze my Snickers minis so I eat them more slowly. Is that weird?

3. Favorite TV show and/or favorite movie: Freaks and Geeks. Sixteen Candles.

4. If you could wake up tomorrow in the body of someone else currently living, whom would you pick? Because I’ve got this nasty chest cold, I’d pick myself, only without the lung-rattling cough. And while I’m at it, I’d eliminate the cellulite on my upper thigh/lower ass region.

5. 3 things you never leave your house without:
1. Bottle of water.
2. Lip gloss.
3. Composition notebook/pen.

6. Last movie you watched: The Great Muppet Caper with my son.

7. Man (besides hubby) you think is too gorgeous for your peace of mind: I really don’t develop crushes based on hotness alone. I honestly can’t think of anyone...

8. Book you’re reading right now: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin. It’s an ARC I got at Book Expo—it doesn’t come out until September. It’s fantastic.

9. What one toiletry item could you never live without? Sunblock.

10. Which famous person, now dead, do you wish you could have seen naked? River Phoenix in his Running on Empty phase.


Related:

Labels: ,


27 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm first! :-D

I love Sixteen Candles and can I just say Jake Ryan is a god. Sigh.

Now, I love YA because, well what's not to love? Most YA that are being published these days are very interesting and most of them are fantastic reads. Definitely not only for young adults.

Olly

8/03/2007 01:35:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU (i always shout when i'm overjoyed!) for writing another book-jessica has become such a part of my literary family-i missed her! i am dying to read the new book-anyone who chalks these up as young adult/teen angst novel misses out on some amazing characters and writing! thanks!

8/03/2007 01:47:00 PM  

Blogger Abby said...

I absolutely ADORE Megan McCafferty - how great is she at describing what we all felt during the awkward/coming-of-age stage that no one is immune to? I started reading this series when I was a junior in college - I'm now 24 and have been anxiously awaiting Fourth Comings since I finished Charmed Thirds. I can't explain my obsession with YA lit (it's probably my ability to relate with the teen-angsty characters), but I'll continue to read until there's no more about Jessica to tell. Kudos to TBB for spotlighting such an amazing author!

8/03/2007 02:31:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I have yet to read Ms McCafferty's books but they look like something I would like.

BB, love the picture!

8/03/2007 03:06:00 PM  

Blogger M.Amanda said...

Sixteen Candles AND Freaks and Geeks? This woman ROCKS.

8/03/2007 03:49:00 PM  

Blogger Jennrose2020 said...

I also love MM's ability to tell it like it is and make readers laugh and cry in the same chapter.

Young adult books are one of my loves, even at 25, because, well, I have no reason. Maybe its simply because I still feel like I'm 15 half the time and 45 the other half.

Eagerly awaing the fourth comings release. Only 4 more days!

8/03/2007 04:17:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I love John Hughes' movies and i love Sixteen Candles. Hey, whatever happened to the actor who played the yummy Jake Ryan? Long Duk Dong. :P

Just want to say welcome to our new visitors. :) Hope you guys join us often.

8/03/2007 04:58:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Ms. McCafferty, I used to have this huge crush on River Phoenix. I thought I would marry him. Sniff.

8/03/2007 06:45:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Megan McCafferty's style of writing...she's most definitely my role model...and I am countin' down the days 'til Fourth Comings comes out...yippee!

8/03/2007 07:09:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I love Megan McCafferty! I have yet to read the third book but I loved Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings. I like the way she writes and how it makes you feel as if you are really in Jessica's world. I'm thrilled to know that there will be more Jessica books!

8/03/2007 08:48:00 PM  

Blogger Tara Dean said...

I love her books because they make me laugh and feel as if I am not alone.

I had surgery on my back when I was 15 and was very depressed afterwards. Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings were two of the only things that could still make me laugh (out loud for that matter) during that time.

Her books kept me sane during a time when I was crying a lot. For that I have so much to thank Megan McCafferty for.

I would give anything to met her in person, shake her hand and beg her to sign my book(s).

8/04/2007 01:51:00 AM  

Blogger Duvy said...

She really doesn't drool over random hot guys?? I don't know whether to just find it highly unusual or she just doesn't want to say! :P

I've been reading YA for years, since, well, I was a YA myself. I'm 21 now (not much older, I know), but it's still the first section of the bookstore I go to.

I like that I can read a YA book and get all the action, magic (literal and figurative), and romance you might normally get in, say, a fiction book, but so much more. Though I can appreciate general fiction books with romance, they can go overboard on the romance, to the point where it feels forced and unnatural. While I have read some YA with some lightly raunchy stuff, there's no explicit sex and that means that the authors have to find more creative and meaningful ways to show the reader the passion between characters.

That's definitely my favorite thing about YA since I tend to lean towards romantic YA (yay Twilight!). Even the Avon True Romance books for teens manage to go deeper than just physical romance.

I think I need to go reread Twilight now ^.^

8/04/2007 03:19:00 AM  

Blogger Aradia said...

I haven't read anything from Megan McCafferty but you inspired me! I'm going to put hold on her books in the library. Right now I'm so in mood for YA! I finished seven books from Katie Maxwell and am currently reading "Eragon". As someone else said in one of the previous comments, there is much joy and magic in YA books.

8/04/2007 03:37:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I want to thank you for all your amazing comments--and for your enthusiasm for Fourth Comings publcation on Tuesday! I feel the need to clarify the my stance on the drooling-over-random-hotties debate. I'e had my share of celebrity crushes, but--like Jessica Darling--I tend to fall for the untraditionally cute guys, and not the more obvious objects of lust. Past crushes include, but are not limited to: Bono circa 1992, Matt Damon (sorry, Harlot) circa Good Will Hunting-The Talented Mr. Ripley, Brian "B-Rok" Littrell from the Backstreet Boys, and Topher Grace. Random, I know. But as boring as it sounds, my biggest crush is on my husband of nine years.

8/04/2007 09:33:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive the typos and grammatical lapses. I'm medicated right now (my chest cold lingers...) and more easily distracted by my son's antics than usual. However, my declaration of ex-lust for Brian "B-Rok" Littrell still stands.

8/04/2007 09:38:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Megan! We're so glad you're here. :D

Oh not you too! Not Matt Damon. *sniff* (Dying to see his movie though. :/)

Like Duvy, i was going to ask about that drooling-over-random-hotties. Because, well, when a drool-worthy man passes me by, there's no way i won't look. :S I thought, yikes, am i the only one who doesn't have self-control when it comes to hothothot HOT men? :/

Hope you feel better soon!

8/04/2007 10:21:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Harlot and Trollop have got me reading another YA writer.
They got me hooked on Stephenie Meyer and now a new one to try out.
And at my age the shame!!!LOL.
Thanks ladies!!!

Angela

8/04/2007 10:39:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

Hiding in shame. I only read the first book Sloppy Firsts. I really loved it but I have yet to get the other books in the series. This is why I have to win the raffle! So that would be one less book for me to get. :P

Ms. McCafferty is my kind of gal. I used to have a thing for River Phoenix - why did he had to die? :( I love Sixteen Candles and Freeks and Geeks. And chicken with veggie burrito with a side of guacamole? Yum!

8/04/2007 10:48:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

"And at my age the shame!!!LOL"

Angela, I thought about that when I started visiting the YA section but what the heck, I love YA! Yes, Trollop and Harlot are to blame. LOL

8/04/2007 10:50:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Oh come on Harlot I CAN NEVER JOIN IN ANY RAFFLE *GRRR* *sniff*

Megan, thank you so much for coming over and giving us a bit of your time. I ABSOLUTELY LUUUURRRVE Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings. Have Charmed Thirds back at home in the DR so haven't been able to read it, but as soon as I go back home I'm on the case :D

You know what guys, I'm like Megan, I have never had a crazy drooling-over-hot-celebrities-obsession. Might have with Raoul, but that's a different thing all together seeing as he's my bf and all :P

8/04/2007 11:40:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I have yet to read anything from Megan McCafferty but thanks to the BB I've been devouring YA books. I'm going to get Sloppy Firsts next. :)

8/04/2007 12:10:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't wait for fourth comings. =] three more days! phew. i don't know if i can hold in my excitement any longer...

my history with the jessica darling series is a good one. haha. one of my friends initially recommended "sloppy firsts" when i was a wee eighth grader (now i'm currently a soon-to-be college girl!) and i thought it was the BEST book i had ever read... i didn't even know sarcastic, cynical anti-heroines like JD even existed.

later, i found a copy of "second helpings" at the library and devoured it within hours. i love jessica darlingggg. <3 i could relate to her since i was doing XC/track at the time and hating it, commiserating my role as the slightly-less-dazzling second sister, feeling crappy about my BFF's accursed change of school (unlike hope, she didn't move out of town--but she might as well have since our friendship was never quite the same after the switch...), etc. the similiarities were uncanny yet intriguing.

last summer, i bought a copy of "third charms" and the first two books so i could reread 'em over and over and over again. ahhh, what a luxury.

megan mccafferty is awesome. please write more books. <3

8/04/2007 05:45:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Why I love Ms. McCafferty? She made me laugh and made me cry and made me remember my high school days. And she loves Sixteen Candles!

Eagerly awaiting Fourth Comings!

8/04/2007 08:37:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

Great guest bitching. I don't think frozen snickers minis count as weird food....unless you eat them with guacamole :-P

8/04/2007 11:18:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

am i too late to join????

with books like Eclipse, who wouldn't loooove YA???

8/06/2007 01:20:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Why i love Meg Mccafferty--- is simply because I can tell she was Jessica Darling. If there was a Jessica Darling or Meg Mcafferty at my school, they would be my best friend. Jessica is so cynical and so truthful that how can you not love her!

8/07/2007 11:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GUESS WHAT! Her 5th book is now coming out! RUN TO THE BOOKSTORES ON APRIL 14TH! AND FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS BETWEEN JESSICA DARLING AND MARCUS FLUTIE!

PERFECT FIFTHS!!!!!!!!!1

3/18/2009 06:00:00 PM