Monday, July 30, 2007

Rowling: I wanted to kill parents

I’ve been saying it for years! Didn’t I tell you guys—didn’t I tell you? J.K. Rowling is a blood-thirsty, sadistic evil bitch! If this isn’t proof enough, I don’t know what is. *sniff*

SPOILER ALERT: Stop reading now if you’ve yet to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. That means, Trollop, don’t fucking look and then call me Horrible Harlot when you’ve read some spoilers! *grrr*

  • I lurve Arthur Weasley. To hell with Sirius and Dumbledore.

“If there’s one character I couldn’t bear to part with, it’s Arthur Weasley... I think part of the reason for that is there were very few good fathers in the book,” said Rowling. “In fact, you could make a very good case for Arthur Weasley being the only good father in the whole series.”

But there is another reason she selected the two additional characters, who had survived in her original vision of the story, to die at the end of Deathly Hallows in Mr. Weasley’s place.

  • Lupin and Tonks have to die. *mwa ha ha ha*

I wanted to kill parents,” she said, quickly adding that sounded “terrible” to say. “I wanted there to be an echo of what happened to Harry just to show the absolute evil of what Voldemort’s doing.”

The theme resonates throughout the books with the deaths of Sirius Black and Albus Dumbledore, Harry’s flawed father figures. And that’s why in the Battle of Hogwarts, Remus Lupin, Harry’s only remaining father figure, and Nymphadora Tonks die, in the process creating another orphan in their son Teddy.

“I think one of the most devastating things about war is the children left behind. As happened in the first war when Harry’s left behind, I wanted us to see another child left behind. And it made it very poignant that it was their newborn son.”

  • Why Fred and not his brother George?

“I always knew it was going to be Fred, and I couldn’t honestly tell you why,” Rowling said. Rowling guessed most people would have expected George to die before Fred because Fred was the ringleader, George the “gentler” twin. “Fred is normally the funnier but also the crueler of the two. So they might have thought that George would be the more vulnerable one and, therefore, the one to die.”

  • I kept Hagrid alive to get a better Christmas present!

“It was very significant. Hagrid brings Harry from the Dursleys. He takes him into the wizarding world ... He was sort of his guardian and his guide ... And now I wanted Hagrid to be the one to lead Harry out of the forest.”

Hagrid was the one character Rowling’s sister, Di, couldn’t stand to see die... “But it wasn’t because of her I kept him alive. I should pretend it was. I might get a better Christmas present.” (MSNBC)


Now, here’s a clip where JKR talks about the final book including some new epilogue type information.

Labels:


10 comment(s):

Blogger ... said...

Is Hagrid also a father figure for Harry?

7/30/2007 02:24:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I think Hagrid is more of a friend than a father to Harry. Mr. Weasley is more of a father-figure, but if you think about it, not really. He's the Weasleys father, yes, but he has never counseled Harry, unlike Dumbledore, Sirius and Lupin. And JKR killed them all! *grrr*

You know, if i have to choose, i choose Lupin over Hagrid. :S I really like Lupin. *sniff*

7/30/2007 02:45:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Did you guys see Dateline? JK Rowling said that Harry and Ron revolutionized the Auror Department in the Ministry of Magic and Hermione worked for the Department of Law Enforcement or something.

7/30/2007 04:33:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pick Lupin over Hagrid too!

Gun_Wielding_Bitch

7/30/2007 05:33:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still pissed about Fred. Why not Percy? WTF??? At least Fred was there and not a traitor like Percy for all the books!

I would buy a book that explains where all the characters are the 19 years later.

GWB

7/30/2007 05:45:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Because no one would miss and talk about it if she'd actually killed that turncoat Percy.

I am still sad about Lupin. *sniff*

GBW, we were talking about the veil on the this thread. What do you think?

7/30/2007 05:52:00 PM  

Blogger gabrielle said...

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156

Just found this. Quite helful acutually :) It's a trancript of an online chat with JKR.

7/31/2007 03:34:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Ohhhh that's a good link. Thanks Gabrielle!

7/31/2007 07:35:00 AM  

Blogger gabrielle said...

My pleasure :D

8/01/2007 03:41:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Gabrielle, i've been looking for you! Could you email me dear. :)

8/01/2007 07:38:00 AM