Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Oh, for the love of Crumple-Horned Snorkacks!

Don’t tell me all the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows hooplas and paloozas were still not enough?!?

Oh, very well. *long suffering sigh* Well, if you must know, J.K. Rowling revealed in her NBC’s Today’s Show interview (due to air this week, July 26-27) that she will indeed write a sort of Hogwarts, A History. (NOTE: There’s a mention of the character who gets a reprieve from death, so don’t read the article if you’ve yet to finish the book.)


The encyclopedia would include back stories of characters she has already written but had to cut for the sake of narrative arc (“I’ve said before that Dean Thomas had a much more interesting history than ever appeared in the books”), as well as details about the characters who survive Deathly Hallows, characters who continue to live on in Rowling’s mind in a clearly defined magical world.

Hogwarts, for example, has a new headmaster (“McGonagall was really getting on a bit”), and Rowling said she can see Harry going back to give the “odd talk” on Defense Against the Dark Arts. That class, by the way, is now led by a permanent professor since Voldemort’s death broke the jinx which didn’t allow a teacher to remain in the position for more than a year.


So, whatdya think? *g* Huh? Still NOT enough?!?

Sheesh, you are all incurable HP Nutters... :/ Fine. Here are some videos of JKR reading the first chapter of HP7 at the midnight release on London. Not exactly my uber favorite Jim Dale, but not bad... ;P




Labels: ,


13 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agh...all this Harry Potter stuff is killing me...I am waiting for my housemate to finish reading although I have sneaked a look at a few spoilers...still cant wait...why oh why was I so cheap as to not get my own copy?!?!?!

7/24/2007 07:48:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AM SO HAPPY THAT SHE IS DOING THE ENCYCLOPEDIA. Know all I have to do it wait for it. sigh

7/24/2007 08:02:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

I love HP and all but i think to continue the story would be sort of anti climactic.

7/24/2007 08:38:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Racquellea,
Your name reminds me of one of my favorite movies The Way We Were, Katie's mom LOL. Er, well, Trollop has yet to read too. I might understand your reasons (just a bit :P) (there's no excuse not to read HP!!!) but since Trollop is just being lazy, i'm not forgiving her for that! *hmph*


Carmen,
Jo said she needs a break. Honestly, she just like it when fans are driven mad waiting for her books!


Menchie,
I don't think this book will actually be a novel. I mean i think it would appear like appendixes of LOTR or something.. :/

7/24/2007 08:50:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I don't want to leave Hogwarts to be honest. The thought of no more Harry Potter books makes me really sad. But fans shouldn't feel that bad.

Personally, I don't think JK Rowling could achieve another kind of literary magic like her HP books but it would be interesting to know what she'd write about next.

And that was a wonderful reading!

7/24/2007 09:13:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that's shortsighted for JK Rowling. It obviously should be A History of Magic.

7/25/2007 01:20:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

There had always been rumors about JKR writing a "Harry Potter encyclopedia". At least now she has confirmed it.

7/25/2007 01:45:00 AM  

Blogger Stacia said...

Oh, awesome! So awesome. The epilogue in the book, I thought, was a little disappointing, and this sounds like a great way to round off the series.

7/25/2007 05:12:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Excellent news! I'd read anything JKR writes about Harry. It's not like I have a choice...

7/25/2007 09:54:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

Interesting. I'm just glad to know she isn't closing her doors on Harry.

7/25/2007 04:41:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot

I also read that she needed a break. I think that secretly she loves to see her fans pulling their hairs out, waiting for her to release the next book. She must secret love being evil! LOL!

7/25/2007 05:47:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

carneb said...

Harlot

I also read that she needed a break. I think that secretly she loves to see her fans pulling their hairs out, waiting for her to release the next book. She must secret love being evil! LOL!

7/25/2007 05:47:00 PM


This comment was made by me. I can't seem to be able to spell my own name right. *giggles*

7/25/2007 05:50:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Carmen (or should i call you Carneb now :P), i know what you mean. She does this deliberately to torture us. *sniff* Pretty sure she loves the idea of her fans DYING for her books, counting down each months/days till we're finally able to read her stories! And how does she rewards us? By killing Sirius and Dumbledore and [shouting the other beloved characters she mercilessly killed in Deathly Hallows]!!! How is that right, how how HOWWW?!?

7/25/2007 05:57:00 PM