Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Deathly Hallows already available online?

As July 21st approaches (just four days to go, yayayayay!), spoilers/rumors about J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows have been circulating online. Whether it’s attention-seeking whores named Gabriel or Potty’s Phony Phattutah, or emails from “reliable sources,” *snort* most of these thieves claim they have an authentic copy of the much anticipated final HP book. And now, this:



The above photo is a page of a pirated version downloaded by a 33-year-old Vancouverite. He said he got about 60% of HP7—even though the novel isn’t supposed to be officially released until midnight Saturday.


Byron Ng said he went online and found what appeared to be the novel’s first few paragraphs mentioned in an article that appeared Sunday in The Guardian, based in the U.K. He used that information to Google and find the rest of the novel.

He found that someone had posted what appeared to be first 495 pages of the 794-page book on a peer-to-peer sharing website where directions to pirated movies and other material are located. So he downloaded it too.

“It is not an e-book or Word file, which is what people would normally do,” he said. “What some guy did was take pictures of it, 500 little files, each with a picture of a page. Someone took the trouble to do that.” (National Post)


What d’ya think? Does it look authentic to you?

As much as I’m dying to get my hands on HP7, even if this copy turns out to be the real deal, I would NEVER take it. Not trying to be noble or whatever (besides, y’all know I’m shameless :/) but we’re talking about Harry here! If it’s another book, perhaps I’d be tempted LOL. But I’ve been reading this series for years—badgered my friends to read it—reread it, listened to it for god knows how many times—that these characters are now soooo dear to my heart. Partaking into this kind of deliberate mockery/sabotage/opportunism is akin to treachery.

Those fuckers who keep leaving “spoilers” everywhere, they’re ROBBING the fans the pleasure they had waited for 10 freaking years! Not knowing what will happen (as excruciating as it is sometimes) is part of the whole HP experience. That’s what makes it more exciting, makes reading the book *much more* sweeter, that when you finally get your hands on a copy, ah... you’d feel so FUCKING HAPPY you’d kiss the cover while grinning like a high idiot.

What I’m trying to say is, I refuse to discover Harry’s fate in a cheap, secondhand way. I owe him that, at least.


Related:

Labels: ,


17 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I've heard some of the rumors
but don't believe any of them.
Some guy claims he broke the publishers computers and got a copy of the book and was telling who lived and who died.
Angela

7/17/2007 09:03:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Oh wow, it looks so real. It even has the diamond pattern and (possibly) Mary GrandPre's illustration?

I read about that Gabriel guy but I didn't look. If it turns out to be true, that his spoilers are real, I don't want to know. But this one came with pictures. Has JKR's camp heard of this already?

7/17/2007 09:26:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

That looks so real. It even has the book jacket. Anyway... I'll quote what Jo said months ago, "There will always be sad individuals who get their kicks from ruining other people's fun".

It's not like fans will tolerate it. For example, there will always be some bookstores (not the big ones like Amazon because they have too much to loose) that will be tempted to sell the book earlier than the appointed release date. But fans will cry foul about it and boycott it.

HP spoilers doesn't affect HP's sales. It just ruins the fun of reading.

7/17/2007 10:16:00 AM  

Blogger Stacia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/17/2007 11:18:00 AM  

Blogger Stacia said...

Forget it, don't feed the trolls.

7/17/2007 11:24:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

LOL I just answered. Oh well. :P

7/17/2007 11:26:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

JKR said it best: there will always be people who will try to ruin Deathly Hallows for us. But like many fans, I don't want to find out how the story ends until I read the final page.

Speaking of Harry, my friends and I are going to get our copies at midnight Saturday!

7/17/2007 12:35:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These Spoiler-types have broken DNA. It's the only explanation. (sci fi scenario with much suffering and horrible death)

7/17/2007 12:44:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spoilers smoilers. What is it Harlot says? Boil in pus!

Donna, lol!

Olly

7/17/2007 01:03:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I can't believe someone stole a copy of Deathly Hallows and then took pictures of it. Well, ugly carpet and his hand on the pictures.... talk about evidence. Hopefully they will catch these crooks.

7/17/2007 07:27:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Ladies, Jo has a new journal entry on her website.

7/19/2007 08:29:00 AM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

The Sun and New York Times already published a review of Deathly Hallows. Seriously, bastards. I copied what Jo said about this:

"I am staggered that some American newspapers have decided to publish purported spoilers in the form of reviews in complete disregard of the wishes of literally millions of readers, particularly children, who wanted to reach Harry's final destination by themselves, in their own time."

From what I read Scholastic/Jo are going to sue a lot of peeps including some online bookstores that released the book early. Plus, they are selling DH on Ebay!!!

7/19/2007 09:23:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lily Moon, I read about that. I think its just harsh. People want to read the books by themselves. My worst nightmare is someone telling me what happens in the end.
The day she updates her site and tells people to not spoil the books, reviews come out. Its just not right.

7/19/2007 11:13:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Menchie (she always sends me info/goody links :D) sent me a link of this interview but i didn't read. Just one more day and i can't afford to read anything now that might spoil the book for me.

Guys, i was thinking of leaving a thread where all of us who have read the book could discuss it. People who haven't read, or have yet to finish, wouldn't be able to browse the comments unless they click for it, so that's safe. And i promise i won't mention any spoilers on the post. What dya think? (Also banning all HP7 discussion in tagboard as everyone would easily see it.)

7/20/2007 06:16:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot thats a really good idea :D

7/20/2007 07:59:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Gabrielle, glad you like it. ;) Ohh.. i can't wait. As i type, just 8 *EIGHT* more hours before i get my copy! YAYAYAAYAY!

7/20/2007 01:39:00 PM  

Blogger Bex said...

they were all true. Moments after finishing my book, (after a good cry of course...*sniff*) I signed on to AIM to discover that some disgusting piece of scum had left me a message telling me everything important that happened with the page numbers. I don't know about the page numbers, but the facts were all true. Unfortunately, I didnt recognize the screen name or this bastard would have had it coming when I saw him next. My cell was also plagued with messages from heartless douche bags. Thank god I didn't hear any of it till I finished!

7/22/2007 04:32:00 AM