Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Book Selection of the Month (January '07)

Hey gals, it’s about time we announce our next BBC selection, don’t ya think? Especially after the success of our DH series discussion, I’m sure you’re all eager to see what’s in store for the month of January; we will not disappoint. *g* Harlot and I (actually mostly Harlot, she’s a BBC Nazi!!!) have chosen another paranormal recommended to us by one of our lovely readers. The BBC Nazi has been raving and gushing about it for weeks, and I knew I had to either pick it, or fear death at her hands! So, for this month’s selection, we give you a book that won numerous awards and recognition, including 1st on the “Best of the Decade... So Far” list on Amazon:



Twilight
by Stephenie Meyer


“Softly he brushed my cheek, then held my face between his marble hands. ‘Be very still,’ he whispered, as if I wasn’t already frozen. Slowly, never moving his eyes from mine, he leaned toward me. Then abruptly, but very gently, he rested his cold cheek against the hollow at the base of my throat.”

As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because—he’s a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But, Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship.

Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable. She begins with a familiar YA premise (the new kid in school), and lulls us into thinking this will be just another realistic young adult novel. (...) The precision and delicacy of Meyer’s writing lifts this wonderful novel beyond the limitations of the horror genre to a place among the best of YA fiction. - Patty Campbell


Don’t be discouraged that it’s a book for “young adults”! Come on, HP books are also under the YA genre and we all know how fantabulous they are. ;) BBC discussion will be on January 30-31. Now here are some questions that will be discussed on the first day of our discussion:
  • The accident is the first great action scene in the book. Did you get all the details right in your head the first time, or did you realize you missed finer points when Bella thinks about the accident later? What did you think about Charlie’s response to the accident? What about Edward’s cool and even sarcastic comments regarding the accident?
  • There are so many humorous quotes from Chapter 9. Which is your favorite and why? The chapter ends with the famous “three things” quote. What exactly do you think was the point where Bella fell “unconditionally and irrevocably in love” with Edward?
  • Chapter 13 is entitled “Confessions.” What do you think is the most meaningful confession on Bella’s part, and what is the most meaningful confession on Edward’s part? The subject of humanity and what it means to be truly human constantly comes up. How does the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed?
  • What were your first thoughts about Edward’s age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was? Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is being so very open about everything else?

Related:

Labels: , , , ,


31 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

BBC Nazi?? I recent that!!!!! :@

Anyway, i can't wait to discuss this fabulous book. Really, really LUUUURVED it. ;)

1/10/2007 10:24:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Trollop, I've never heard of this book but the synopsis is great. I'm glad BBC is back. :)

1/10/2007 10:33:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Did i mention how much i love this book? :P You know, besides being 1st on Amazon's "Best Book of the Decade..." list, it's also New York Times Editor's Choice and Publishers Weekly's Best Book of the Year. Yep.

Dance, thanks again for the rec! :)

1/10/2007 10:42:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

Oh this one's good. I was beginning to think there's no BBC for January.. :P

1/10/2007 12:08:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

You're welcome! Glad you liked it.

Have you read New Moon yet? ;-)

I think I might be able to participate in this discussion. I'll have to find my copy of Twilight and do a re-read (can't remember chapters 9 or 13 or any other specific chapter)... Not that it's any hardship. :-D

1/10/2007 12:36:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Dance,
Yep, loved it too! :D Edward made me cry though. *sniff*

Oh, you have to join us on our discussion! ;P

1/10/2007 01:22:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to ask - I'm seeing this categorized as "Horror" - is there a HEA? I hate reading books that lack a decent HEA.

1/10/2007 01:44:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

So this is sort of romance? It sounds like it from the quote you've given, which I like.

I will try to get the book this weekend.

1/10/2007 01:56:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Yes, there's a HEA. And it's definitely romantic. There are shades of Pride and Prejudice in the beginning of Twilight, though the comparisons, subtle as they already are, tend to fall away even more as the story goes on.

It's also an on-going series (book 2 - New Moon - is already out in HC, and book 3, Eclipse, is due out in October), so the HEA gets shaken up a bit in NM (and probably again in Eclipse, I'm guessing), but there is one in Twilight (and NM, sort of).

I have to re-read Twilight so I can separate that story from NM.

1/10/2007 02:00:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Lollie,
Yep, there's romance. It's quite sweet actually LOL.


2ndamdt,
It's not really "horror" per se, but since vampires are involved.. TWILIGHT is the first book in a series. The 2nd book NEW MOON was just released a few months ago. Though it's a continuous story, each book has a conclusion (much like HP really). And yes, TWILIGHT has a "happy ending". ;) Hope you can join us on the discussion!

1/10/2007 02:06:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh, Dance already answered. With a better explanation LOL. Thanks!

1/10/2007 02:07:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Oh I like the Pride and Prejudice bit, that always works for me.

1/10/2007 02:14:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

BBC Nazi? LOL. Looking forward to the discussion ladies.

1/10/2007 03:04:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

Fantastic choice! I loved this book when I read it. I still haven't seen New Moon here.

1/10/2007 03:44:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Another paranormal! YAYY! I really enjoyed the DH series (thanks again BBs) and this book is looking good already.

1/10/2007 03:50:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Great pick Trollop! Twilight is awesome. I still haven't read New Moon but I will before Eclipse (3rd book) comes out. Edward.... *SIGH*

1/10/2007 05:11:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Perfect. I'm not reading anything at the moment and in dire need of a good book.

1/10/2007 05:59:00 PM  

Blogger Holly said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1/10/2007 11:21:00 PM  

Blogger Mailyn said...

One of my favorite books! Can't wait for Eclipse but sadly there is two more books left for us to know how Bella and Edward end. Ugh. LOL.

PS I just scrolled down your blog and can I just say great call on Rafael!!!! But where are his guitar pics?! Come on, those are some of his best! ^_^

1/10/2007 11:33:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Mailyn,
Guitar pics are on Friday! ;P

Ladies, don't forget to get TWILIGHT soon, ok? LOL

Okay i have to go late late late!!!

1/10/2007 11:42:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Jesus, Harlot, you are a BBC Nazi. LOL. :P Of course getting TWILIGHT soon. Can't wait for our discussion ladies.

1/10/2007 11:47:00 PM  

Blogger Tisty said...

nazi harlot, but I'm sure that she means that in a good way!!!!!

Can'yt wait to read it, it sounds good!

1/11/2007 06:20:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Oh it sounds something I'd enjoy. Looking forward to our discussion girls!

1/11/2007 08:28:00 AM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I thought I saw this right alongside Artemis Fowl. I think my daughter had read it.

1/11/2007 11:15:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Excellent choice! Twilight is now one of my favorite books. I've read this book to find what the fuss was about and I was so surprised how good it was. Fantastic book.

1/11/2007 11:36:00 AM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Harlot...it's not official. I haven't hated any book you've recommended yet. So, any other book with same "fun-factor" as Twilight you've read?

I love this book. I think I like it better than Harry Potter!

I have my library get me the next one.

Have you heard of the The Thirteenth Tale? I hear nothing but good about this book...so I am going to try that one too.

1/25/2007 08:43:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I meant to say "It's NOW official"

I must say, I love this book. I end up reading it in two nights and taxes W2s be damned.

1/25/2007 08:45:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I meant to say "It's NOW official"

I must say, I love this book. I end up reading it in two nights and taxes W2s be damned.

1/25/2007 08:45:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMFG. i love this book

im seriously obsessed with edawrd cullen


aaah, im dying to read new moon,
and the new book in september from edwards point of view =]!!!

3/05/2007 09:17:00 PM  

Blogger Just Megan said...

I really liked both Twilight and New Moon and I can't wait for Eclipse...the only critique I have of these books is that the author's writing style isn't very creative...neither is the subject matter, really. These books are almost exact copies of every fanfic written by every vampire loving teen girl in the world. But I guess that's some of it's charm...the author wrote what every girl in America wants to hear...she's just the first to get it published. ^.^ All that aside it was a very good book...it's number one upside in my opinion is the characters. Edward's a total babe (as is Jake) and Bella's wit and sarcastic sense of humor never gets old. Bravo!

7/11/2007 03:32:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot and Trollop said...

Hi Megan! I totally agree. But you know, there's something very charming and addictive about SM's books. I suppose it's because of Edward and Bella, the way their characters are written.. Speaking of vampires, we're currently having a discussion about them here. Welcome and hope you join us often. :)

Harlot

7/11/2007 04:27:00 PM