Monday, January 29, 2007

BBC: Twilight (Day 1)

*sigh* Edward *sigh*

Can I say that again please?

*sigh* Edward *sigh*

I LOVED this book. Loved loved Edward and his story, his family and how tortured yet funny and sarcastic he is. I liked Bella well enough—as much as one can like someone who is trying to take your man (vampire?) away! LOL

In any case, as always, *I* made a great pick for BBC, didn’t I? *g*

Here are the questions we’re going to start with. NOTE: Any Edward gushing is strictly forbidden to anyone but moi! *grrr*
  • Where did you think Edward had gone off to at the start of the chapter and why did you think he had vanished? What was your reaction to the polite way Edward treated Bella when he returned? Did you think he was putting on a show? How did it change your thoughts about his initial reaction to her?
  • Were you surprised that Edward told the truth so quickly about his ability to mind read? Had you guessed that this was his secret? What is your personal theory as to why Edward can’t hear Bella’s mind?
  • The subject of humanity and what is means to be truly human constantly comes up. How do you think the humanity of Bella and Edward best displayed?
  • What were your first thoughts about Edward’s age and human history? Were you creeped out at all that he was so very much older than she was?

Related:

Labels: , , ,


65 comment(s):

Blogger Girlie said...

1. I think Edward went somewhere to get ahold of himself...the book never did say if he went out to drink blood somewhere else.

2. Well, other vampire stories(like in Linda Lael Miller's series) mentioned that when it's the "right one" they can't read their mind. So, I was guessing this is what's going on. I was a bit surprised because I thought they're trying to hide what they are.

3. This is too complicated for a sleep-deprived mother to think of right now...needless to say, I did enjoy the book and I am reading the sequel now...that is when I get more sleep than the 30 minutes I was allowed by my darling baby.

4. I wasn't creeped out at all. As a Vampire, I was expecting him to be much, much older...or what would be the point of his being a Vampire. Besides, they are both teenagers!

Also, Edward is a Virgin! Did you catch that? Does that mean he's never ever going to do the "dirty" with Bella? Man, he's so sweet! I want to get me some Vampire after reading that one.

My daughter wants to read the book, at 9, I think she's too young to be thinking of getting her own vampire!

Great book Bitches!

1/29/2007 07:24:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

1. I think he went somewhere to calm down, home maybe? When he returned I thought he was being his "normal" self whatever that was. Maybe trying to make up for being mean before.

2. I was really really surprised that he was so open about being a vampire and reading minds. But I think at that point he already felt that Bella was his soulmate and he wanted her to love-like him for his real self. No, I don't think I had guessed at that point but I cant remember now LOL

I think bc she's his soulmate there has to be a degree of privacy for her! Also, he would never have been that interested if he'd been able to read her thoughts.

3. Well Bella is human so I guess we can see it in everything she does. I especially loved the way she deals with problems and her desicion making process; I wish I were like that.

Edward: I like his insecurities, being so perfect it would've been bad if he was also way to sure of himself and Bella. I also liked how he admits to being jelous! teehee

4. I have to admit that was creepy. No matter how he looks physically he's still 90! But then I thought about it. In the DH series the guys are like 300 and the girls 30, so there's no difference from 90-17. Also he is so hot I wouldn't care if he was 5,000!

1/29/2007 08:39:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

WHAT THE HELL?

BBC IS SUPPOSED TO BE TOMORROW NOT TODAY!!!

GRRR, BE BACK. HAVE TO STRANGLE SOMEONE.

1/29/2007 09:06:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

1. I'm not sure. I don't really speculate when I'm reading (probably why I can never figure out the ending of plots beforehand unless it's really obvious, with neon signs and flashing lights pointing the way). I think I probably thought he had gone home or was simply not coming to school. Until he explained later that he went to Alaska (271).

As for the blood, I wasn't thinking about that either while I was reading, but if I were I'd probably assume it was pig's blood a la Angel. When he returned I figured he'd somehow managed to get himself under control again, and he pretty much says so when he's revealing all to Bella*. And was being polite to keep his distance, and for Bella to stay away from him.

*He "took precautions, hunting, feeding more than usual before seeing [Bella] again." (271, TPB). I think it's around the same time as when he explains the he and the other Cullens are "vegetarians", or only drink animal blood and stay away from people.

2. I don't think so. Bella asked him pretty much outright if he could read minds, and after finding out he's a vampire, I don't think mind reading was all that much more to take. She pretty much already knew, I think, from what Jacob Black told her, her dream and research on the internet.

I think it was a good way to lead up to the subject of vampires, too, both of them sort of skirting around the subject by bringing up the mind-reading first. And it was foreshadowed quite a bit throughout the beginning of the book. Which is maybe why I first thought Superman, not Spiderman, when Bella came up with her "radioactive spider" theory.

I don't have a personal theory as to why Edward can read everyone's mind but Bella's - I'm fine with the explanation in the book (Bella's mind being on a different frequency than everyone else's), and Meyer has said that the reason is because Bella's mind is very private (which is why Alice and Jasper's powers work, but not Edward's - although, I'm still a little confused on why Alice's works; I get the Jasper part).

3. I don't have a specific scene(s) in mind, but I think the humanity in this book is displayed by how hard Edward (and the rest of the Cullens, though we don't see them struggle as much) tries to hold onto his - i.e., not eating people and going to school and such, even if he thinks he's superior to everyone - and by Bella trying to get rid of hers.

For Edward humanity is his saving grace; it's what prevents him from becoming a killing machine or monster or turning evil. But for Bella, her humanity is a hindrance; she's clumsy and fragile and unsure - particularly when it comes to Edward, but she also hasn't had the benefit of being around for 100 years. It's also what keeps them apart; they have to be very careful while kissing (never mind doing anything more ;-) ) so Edward doesn't kill her. But if Bella weren't human (or if Edward didn't hold on to his humanity), I don't know if they'd have gotten together.

4. No. I think Buffy/Angel pretty much took care of that problem - "a regular kid and her cradle robbing, creature-of-the-night boyfriend." I mean, it _is_ a bit creepy (and so is that line, which is why it works), but Edward, to me, comes off like a 17 year old, so I don't get a sense that he's so much older than she is. And because he's falling in love for the first time too, it's not like he's more experienced in that regard.

I'm more disturbed by Edward having the upperhand in the relationship (he decides if they're going to have one and on what terms), and Bella's dependency on him (although perhaps we don't really get into this until NM). Which may correlate with his age, now that I think about it, but I kind of think it's just him in general, and he'd be this way as a human too, if there were some danger to his lady-love back in the early 1900s.

Yes, I did catch that both he and Bella are virgins ;-) , and pretty much have to stay that way unless she becomes a vampire - and even then, it'll still probably be a bit of a wait initially. I guess it's sweet and all that Edward is one, but this is one of the parts in the book that reads, to me, like a not-so-great romance novel, because of using the one-and-only/soulmate thing as shorthand for showing two characters in love -- I think Meyer develops the relationship more than that in Twilight, but I sort of wish Edward weren't so noble or upstanding.

Although, I guess the story would be different if he weren't because instead of a love story between him and Bella, it would be his redemption story, but I don't really get the sense that Bella is ever truly in danger around him, for all his talk of how dangerous he is. I think this is just me, though, mostly from having grown up on Whedon. Highly doubt Edward's going to pull an Angelus (though he does do an Angel, from time to time). ;-)

I wonder what the book would have been like if I weren't spoiled (if that's the right term, as it's right on the back of the book) that Edward's a vampire. I still remember the reveal of Angel - when he first kisses Buffy and vamps out (I think I freaked out as much as she did, the first time I saw that ep) - but that was before the interweb and me even knowing what a spoiler was.

PS. You can have Edward :D .

1/29/2007 09:08:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

Harlot,

I thought I had my days mixed up. And then I thought maybe it was the time difference. LOL.

1/29/2007 09:11:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

1. Honestly have no clue where Edward went when he disappeared after that first day in school. I mean, what should i think? I just "met" him--he was just introduced and then he disappeared--i have no idea how he does things, etc. I thought it was funny when he got back and he started being chatty. :P It's so obvious he was trying too hard LOL but i never got the vibe he was faking or something.

2. Yep. I liked that actually. I mean i was expecting a little denial at first or him not saying anything and i was surprised that he told her what and who he is. I think Edward already knows that Bella is someone very important for him and i guess he decided that if he wants to have something with her, he has to be clear from the beginning: he's a vampire, he's this and that, will Bella accept him or not? Lucky Bella, hmph. WHY WHY WHY do all gorgeous mad sexy oh so yummy vampires want Bella??? *sniff*

About Edward not hearing Bella's thoughts, no idea LOL. I think that's good actually that he can't read her mind. I think that's one of the reasons why Edward is drawn to her in the first place. Also, *SPOILERS FROM NEW MOON* it's not just Edward who can't exercise his power over Bella. In NM, some vampires tried their powers on her and it didn't work too... but in TWILIGHT, Jasper did his thingy on her. Hmmm...

3. Edward's humanity is very apparent even before he met Bella because he refuse to kill people even if that would mean he's being denied of something he needs to exist. When he met Bella, he became "more human" because he looooves. Everything stems from him loving Bella, that's when his humanity is best displayed. He gets jealous, afraid for her, wants/needs/miss her, long for her. He would rather perish than harm her.

Bella, i think her humanity is best displayed when she's all being clumsy and whenever she's feeling like she can't live without Edward. Honestly, compare to Edward who doesn't have to eat, breathe, age, can run like the wind, she's an incredible klutz LOL (i shouldn't be laughing as i'm one too :S).

4. I didn't care that he's that old. I like older men anyway. :P Anyway i knew from the start Edward's a vampire so the age thing didn't bother me at all. Besides, he is the sweetest, hottest 17-year-old guy i have ever met, as long as he brushes his teeth and all that hygienic stuff, who cares if he's actually 100+!

1/29/2007 10:14:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

I mean i was expecting a little denial at first or him not saying anything...

Well, he already tried that (after he saved her from the van) and it didn't work ;-) .

Jasper did his thingy on her. Hmmm...

Alice can see her future, too, which is what I don't understand, if Alice's power only works once someone has made up their mind -- because, as Meyer explains it, Jasper's power works on Bella because it puts her body in a calm(er) state (I'm guessing he acts on the nervous system; endorphins and such), but Edward (and others) can't get into Bella's thoughts because she has a private mind. So... if Alice's abilities work on one's thoughts, I don't see how Alice can see Bella but Edward can't read her mind, with Meyer's explanation.

1/29/2007 10:29:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Re: Also, Edward is a Virgin! Did you catch that? Does that mean he's never ever going to do the "dirty" with Bella? Man, he's so sweet! I want to get me some Vampire after reading that one.


Is Edward REALLY a virgin? He didn't actually said he's a virgin. What he said (after Bella confessed she's a virgin) was they have something in common, that like Bella, for him, love and lust should always go hand and hand.

About the sex thing, PLEASE PLEASE let there be sex. LOL. I don't care if they both wait till they're married, just please, DO IT! :P Oh come on, you're wishing for the same thing!!

1/29/2007 10:44:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Re: Alice can see her future, too, which is what I don't understand...

I don't understand this bit too. :/ This is one of those things that are not clear enough for me. What is Jasper's power anyway? Muddle your mind so he can affect whatever it is your feeling? Or he controls your body? But Alice's power, like Edward is also about fiddling with your mind. How come hers works on Bella when Edward's mind-reading wouldn't?

1/29/2007 10:53:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Re: Powers

What I understood is that Jasper doesn't really play/interfere with your mind but that he can "adjust" your feelings when you're near him. I think its more nervous system related than mind related.

Alice can see her future? I don't remember that, but in any case she sees people's future as a third party. As an observer of sorts. So I don't think she needs to be inside Bella's mind to know what's going to happen, even if she has to wait for people to make desisions.

1/29/2007 10:58:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I didn't know BBC is today. I'll be back with my answers! ;P

1/29/2007 11:02:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

Hmm... you're right. Edward didn't actually say he was a virgin. I just took his comment about having something in common with Bella to mean that he was.

He was 17 when he was turned - and nearly dying from the flu - so I suppose he could have had sex before that, but being so straightlaced, I don't think he would have. I don't know if he'd have sex after he was turned because according to him he _can't_ with humans and I don't know if he'd sleep with a vampire who didn't practice his kind of lifestyle (maybe when he went on his rebellion?).

Hate to burst your bubble, but no sex in the books. At least no detailed scenes, according to Meyer. It goes against her principles (her kids and parents read the books) and religion (no sex before marriage - and if that's when Bella turns into a vampire, I think she'll be too busy trying not to eat people to think about sex. Feeding and sex don't seem to go hand-in-hand in Meyer's books like it does in other vampire stories -- I still can't believe Joss got away with the scene where Angel drinks from Buffy).

I have to wonder, though, how the Cullen house is still standing (hey, Buffy and Spike brought down a house all by themselves) and what Edward does when the rest of them have sex... because of the super-hearing and being able to read minds. Maybe that's why he's so interested in music.

Although, none of the Cullen romantic relationships strike me as the hot-and-heavy kind. If anything, they all seem a bit chaste and, well, not all that affectionate towards each other. But it could be because Bella doesn't see it, so we don't see it either.

1/29/2007 11:09:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

1. I thought Edward was at home or went to hunt. I was sure he was avoiding her. He even tried to change his class schedule just so he won't see her. LOL.

When Edward returned and he was so nice to Bella, I thought he was trying to make amends for being a jerk. It was obvious though that he was only forcing himself to do it.

2. Yes I was surprised, but Edward tends to tell Bella things. And didn't that happen just after he rescued her from the four men in Port Angeles? Edward was feeling out of control at the time and I guess it shows that he trusts her.

I have no idea as to why Edward can't read her mind. LOL.

3. Humanity - Edward: when he tells Bella that he loves her, that he can never hurt her. For someone who doesn't have human frailties, he's totally devoted to her and protects her like she's the most precious thing in the world.

Bella's humanity was shown through her fears.

4. I see Edward as a 17 year old so I don't have a problem with his age.

1/29/2007 11:27:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Isn't Edward a virgin? I distinctly remember he said he was. Maybe I should reread.

Dance, I agree about the Cullens not being affectionate. Rosalie and Emmett aren't. Alice and Jasper, even Carlisle and oh my god I forgot her name! Well, you know, the "mom".

I guess that's why Edward loves music so much! LOL.

1/29/2007 11:37:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

1. I thought Edward went somewhere away, just away from Bella. I thought he was in physical pain when they first met. When Edward returned and he was being nice for a change, I was surprised. I didn't thought he was leading her on, but he was trying to be nice for being such a meanie.

2. Now that i think about it, yes. He didn't really said "I can read minds" and I was trying to figure out what it was he's trying to explain to her. It didn't even occur to me that vampires have special powers (besides being very strong and can be very fast like what you usually see in movies andTV).

My theory? If you can call it a theory. LOL. Maybe Bella can block mind-readers? If she becomes a vampire, I think this is one of her "special characteristics" that will be enhanced.

3. I think Edward is an impatient vampire. LOL. He is! He can't wait, or maybe it's only with Bella... Bella's humanity shows when she is very impulsive without thinking of her safety first.

4. I got to admit I was disturbed at first that Edward is that old, though I can't say I was surprised. Like everyone said, he is a vampire.

1/29/2007 11:48:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I don't think Alice actually trifles with a person's mind like Edward does. She's a precog and as one she sees the future, that does not necessarily mean she does something with your mind...

1/29/2007 11:50:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Alright, alright, geesh. No sex details. :/ Well at least throw me a bone and say there's gonna be sex! SM could just mention that Edward and Bella do it i guess...

Re: and if that's when Bella turns into a vampire, I think she'll be too busy trying not to eat people to think about sex.

NO NO NO! Sex is a MUST! Did you see what happens whenever they kiss??? And that's just a kiss! Surely for something so strong and powerful and magical there's gotta be more to it than just kissing... :P

I think Edward is a very affectionate guy. The way he touches her, oh my... *breathe* I need to breathe!!! I mean he CARESSES her like she's orgasm in stick or something LOL. I love that. When he glides his finger on her cheek, touches his face in hers... *sigh* I want my Edward too. *sniff*

1/29/2007 12:04:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I don't think Alice actually trifles with a person's mind like Edward does.

Edward does anything to one's mind - I don't think he has powers to suggest or manipulate, beyond the usual vampire "dazzle"; he's just able to read one's thoughts, except for Bella's.

It seems to me that Alice's ability hinges on one's decisions, which I think are linked (if not actually are) one's thoughts, and which is why I'm confused about why she can see Bella in the future but Bella can block all other powers that have to do with her mental state.

Re Sex

I wonder how it works, given that their bodies are more or less "frozen".

1/29/2007 12:07:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

*That should read, "Edward doesn't do anything".

1/29/2007 12:08:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Re: because of the super-hearing and being able to read minds. Maybe that's why he's so interested in music.

LOL That's a good one why Edward loves music. I can imagine it driving him mad LOL. I mean he's the only one who's not getting any in that house. Poor Edward, he should live with me really. ;P


Danielle,
I'm not really familiar with precogs but if that's the case, then all mind related powers won't work against Bella but others would? That's it then? Hmm... But, have you read NEW MOON? *NM SPOILERS* -->What about Jane? She didn't do anything with her mind, but it didn't work either... I'm confused LOL.

1/29/2007 12:28:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

SPOILER FOR NEW MOON
*
*
*
A vampire named Jane tried to do something to her, and it didn't work. She's not trying to do something with her mind

According to Meyer, she was... (although it's not clear in the text, IMO - I was confused too.) Apparently Jane's power works on one's mind - she only makes you think you're in pain, she doesn't actually hurt you physically. And Aro's power doesn't work on Bella either (he sees your thoughts and memories/any previous thoughts, I think, but only if he touches you).
*
*
*
END SPOILER

1/29/2007 12:31:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I promise to not gush on about Edward or how much I LOVE him and would be on him like white on rice.

I figured Edward took off in the beginning because he liked Bella but shouldn't or was mad because he couldn't control his emotions around her. I figured he was just staying home.

I started to think, when Edward came back and was nice that maybe he was just trying to not eat her (drink her blood)and that his dad, being the Dr. brought home blood from the hospital for his family. I felt Edward was sincere though.

I figured he could read minds but couldn't read hers because they are soul mates. I guess I projected a little of Ash's personality onto Edward.

I think Edward is more human than he thinks. Being unsure of himself with her, being nervous and jealous and so forth is very human. I think humanity is more than being human. Edward has a conscience and knows right from wrong. The only thing unhuman about him is his appearance, being perfect looking, and his special gifts of speed, reading minds, power and being frickin' cold to the touch.

I was surprised that Edward was that old but could still related to a 17 year old. I guess he, like most men *g*, are always going to be less mature...lol.

Did anyone else catch on to Bella being able to SMELL blood even though humans can't smell blood? And she is VERY perceptive too... What's going on there?

I understand this book is for "young adults" but dang, I'm an adult and I want to know how the sex thing would of turned out...lol...I sound like a perv.

Bella being a virgin didn’t surprise me but Edward being one did. Can vampires (in this author’s eyes) not have sex?

The sequal is just as good, I’m ½ way through now. It better end the way I want it to or else…

1/29/2007 12:46:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Re: Sex. I wonder how it works, given that their bodies are more or less "frozen".

I don't think there's gonna be a problem. I mean, unless SM is drinking some mushroom tea, they can't have children surely (right?). But that's it. Physically, Edward is so capable of having sex, afterall he still has all his equipment. If they can kiss and other touching, how's it different with actually doing it? It's not like vampires are eunuch or something... *gasp* Ohgod i hope not LOL.

1/29/2007 12:52:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Re: Can vampires (in this author’s eyes) not have sex?

They do. Emmett and Rosalie go to honeymoons etc. And Edward said he can with Bella but he won't as he's afraid he'll hurt her with his superhuman strength. Tee hee :P


Re: The sequal is just as good, I’m ½ way through now. It better end the way I want it to or else

GWB, i loved NM's ending actually, better than T for me. Thoguh i liked T's story more. ;)

1/29/2007 12:58:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh LOL, read that "can vampire not have sex" question wrong. :P Oh well.. anyway, please let there be sex! :P

1/29/2007 01:02:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

1. I thought he just stayed home. I knew he was avoiding Bella but it never occurred to me that he went to Alaska!

I was surprised when Edward became so nice when he returned. I didn't thought he was putting up a show, but that he was trying to make up for acting the way he did.

2. I was surprised that he immediately told her. But it must have been a release. With all his secrets, it's a relief to actually have someone to confess it to and with what he feels for Bella, I think it's great that he immediately told her so they can start their relationship without any pretenses.

3. Edward - his inability to read Bella's mind. He has all the super hero powers, but he can't read Bella's thoughts. Nevertheless, that doesn't make him weak because that flaw actually brings him closer to Bella.

Bella - her fears and clumsiness. Compare to the Cullens who are all ethereal, she bleeds, she trips, she gets hurt due to the simplest of reasons.

4. I don't think there's something wrong with Edward's age. He's a vampire. I actually expected a lot more, like 300. LOL.

1/29/2007 01:15:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I believe Edward is still a virgin. He died around 1918? At that time young boys of 17 were not sexually active yet, I think...

1/29/2007 01:24:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Yes, but what about after he became a vampire? ;P

1/29/2007 01:40:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Did anyone else catch on to Bella being able to SMELL blood even though humans can't smell blood?

Yes. Ironic, isn't it? But I can smell blood, sometimes, so I didn't think it was that unusual. Apparently it is, though. I've only tried to pass out once, however (so far).

Physically, Edward is so capable of having sex, afterall he still has all his equipment.

Yeah, but no blood flow. ;-)

He died around 1918? At that time young boys of 17 were not sexually active yet, I think...

There were more social mores/taboos, I think, during that time with regards to sex (especially for females), but I don't know if that necessarily means 17-year-old males didn't have sex. I think Edward specifically probably would not have - with how he feels about marriage and love and all that.

1/29/2007 01:43:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Isabella, my bad. LOL.

Dance, I guess he probably slept with another vampire... maybe it was that time he was rebelling and left the Cullens.

1/29/2007 02:03:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I know Carlisle is the eldest of the Cullens, then Edward? Edward, if I'm not mistaken was born in 1901. How old are the others?

1/29/2007 02:07:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

In human age or vampire age?

I think Jasper is older than Edward, but hasn't been with the Cullens as long. He wasn't turned by Carlisle. Neither was Alice, but I think she's younger.

Here's a handy guide on Meyer's fan site of character bios: Twilight Lexicon.

1/29/2007 02:17:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

I'm blind, I'm blind! That thing in the drawing IS NOT EDWARD!!!! I refuse to believe that ACKKK!

1/29/2007 02:29:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Heh. I forgot about the banner. I just scroll very, very quickly past it.

1/29/2007 02:39:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Thanks Dance!

Trollop. LOL. I wonder who will play Edward in the movie. And Bella. Yikes, I'm beginning to dread it!

1/29/2007 02:44:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

There's going to be a movie?

1/29/2007 02:47:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

1. I thought Edward left Forks, but I didn't thought he would go as far as Alaska. Could it be true, what Edward confessed to Bella? If he first met her in an alley somewhere instead of their Biology class surrounded with witnesses, I don't think Edward could really kill Bella... I just don't believe it. Edward is goodness and he doesn't want to disappoint Carlisle.

2. I was surprised given the fact he was always cryptic before that and the way he acted in the hospital after he saved Bella from Tyler's car.

I don't know why Edward can't read Bella's mind. How come this is connected with being someone's soulmate? AS GWB have mentioned, Ash also has the same dilemma, but isn't that supposed to be the other way around?

3. Edward as human? This is hard to picture when he is so very perfect, lol. Edward with all his gifts is powerless when it comes to Bella. He said it himself, that he cannot survive in this world knowing she's not living. Bella is tevery bit the normal teenager. I applaud the way she takes care of Charlie. Her humanity was most apparent for me when she has witnessed how strong Edward really is in the meadow.

4. I knew from the start this is a vampire story and as vampire stories go, the vampires are usually old, lol, so I have no problem with Edward's age at all.

1/29/2007 03:07:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

There's a movie?!

1/29/2007 03:12:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Harlot, what about we just make up what the sex would they would be doing? It's YA, so they're not going to do the dirty, and if they do, you'd be lucky to read anything about penises or orgasmic activities.

What about it Harlot...write what the love scene should be... it ought to be fun?

1/29/2007 03:19:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I didn't know about that site. Thanks Dance!

There's a movie? Oh wow!

1/29/2007 03:19:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I am tired and sleepy and Trollop is plaguing me with talks of WARTS! EUWWW!!! Yuck yuck yuck! *shudder* What is wrong with her?! For the love of all that's good and pretty, stop her stop her STOP HER!!!!!

1/29/2007 03:30:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

No movie (yet). I don't know what stage it's in. I sort of remember seeing something about them (the filmmakers or whoever on that end) still sitting on the option for the movie... who knows if there's even a script. Or if anything's going to come of it. I think books can get optioned, which the author gets paid for, without the movie actually being made; the producers just hold the rights for a certain time... but if that time runs out the rights go back to the author. And then the movie rights can get optioned again, if the author agrees. Or something like that.

From Meyer, Dec 2006:

"Second, this sort of belongs on the Faq page, but I want everyone to see this. From the questions I was getting on tour, it seems that people think I'm keeping secrets about the movie. Let me assure you, nothing has changed since my last update on the Twilight movie page. I haven't heard anything since last January, and I don't expect to hear any news before April. When I know something, I will post it right way."

I didn't know about that site. Thanks Dance!

No problem! The forums have a lot of info too, but they get a bit fangirly.

1/29/2007 03:31:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

I swear I will stop talking to you if you keep showing me those yucky wart pictures! I wont be able to sleep (again!).

You need help! *UGHH*

1/29/2007 03:33:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I read about the movie thing, though dunno when's it gonna be released or who are the freaks involved etc. Unlike most fans, i honestly hate it whenever i heard a book i love is going to be a movie. I always ALWAYS DREAD IT.


Shosh, LOL let's see.. :P Of course if i'm writing it (i'd be sooooo honored but am afraid fans will surely torture me to death if i even TRY for i cannot write like SM :S) it's not Bella who would be with Edward but me. Ya hear that you Trollop!!! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

1/29/2007 03:35:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Trollop says:
YOU ARE GROSS stop that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Harlot says:
i thought you liked that...
Trollop says:
warts? Who would like such a thing?
Harlot says:
well you're weird
Trollop says:
no one is that weird, trust me! Ughhh

This is what I have to live with everyday!!!! Couldn't sleep last week after she showed me some of those pictures. Completely obsessed with checking my feet now. Can't stop thinking about that!!!!

1/29/2007 03:37:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

You started it, wart lover! Ohgod, wart lover? GROSS!!!! Oh yuck!*GAG*


Ohhh... thanks for the info Dance!

1/29/2007 03:38:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Warts? LMAO! You're both crazy :p

I explored that Twilight site for a bit, it's a forum. I have to agree with Trollop, the guy in the banner is NOT Edward! That's not Bella either!

1/29/2007 04:01:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Somewhat off-topic, but it does mention a "Twilight".

I wonder if this new show called "Twilight" has anything to do with the popularity of the book. And if Edward were a PI ;-) :

"According to the industry trade papers, CBS has its eye on "Twilight" from Trevor Munson, Ron Koslow ("Beauty and the Beast") and Joel Silver ("Veronica Mars"). The pilot, set up at Warner Bros. TV, focuses on a vampire who works as a private eye and has a love jones for a mortal woman.

Yes, we liked the show quite a bit when it was called "Angel.""

And, ew on the warts.

1/29/2007 04:39:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I had no idea where Edward went but it was obvious that he would be back. I thought the way he acted toward her during their first class together was pretty weird. He had no quarrel with her, I didn't understand what could be the problem.

I was surprised when Edward just blurted it out there that he can read minds. I think he was sort of panicking at the time - if Edward ever panics. He was so worried about Bella and was so angry at the men who tried to attack her that he started talking.

I think Bella's mind is strong (?) that's why Edward can't read her thoughts. Ok, maybe it's what's different about her, like Carlisle's compassion when he was human, Alice's visions, Emmett's strength etc.

Edward's humanity is his saving grace. He is compassionate and loving, and even if he's supposed to kill, he doesn't. There's also the fact that he loves a woman who makes him feel vulnerable about everything yet he still loves her. Bella's humanity is emphasized most in the meadow when Edward said, "like you could outrun me, like you can stop me..."

About Edward and Bella having sex, I would love that too. :) I don't usually read Young Adult books. Is sex allowed in YA? It's not like I'm asking for a detailed description of the act, I just want to know that they would experience that too.

1/29/2007 04:56:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Is sex allowed in YA?

Yes. But the scenes are usually not the pages and pages one sees in a romance or adult novel ;-) . They're usually "closed-door" scenes or left rather vague.

And, on a completely different thread, I wonder what it is about the Cullens that separates them from the other vampires. Why do they have the motivation and strength/ability to stay away from human blood (contrasted with Laurent, James and Victoria, for example)?

In the Buffyverse, I think it was a little more defined: souled vs non-souled vamps, though that got a lot more muddied when (chipped) Spike was thrown into the mix.

I wonder if Carlisle being the one to change them has something to do with it or if Carlisle is drawn toward those who would be able to live on their "vegetarian" lifestyle.

1/29/2007 05:15:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

1. I really didn't know. I thought he was at his house glowering at anything he can glower at. LOL.

2. When Edward looked up that time Jessica and Bella were talking about him in the cafeteria, I thought he probably could read minds or have super hearing ability. I was surprised though that he immediately told Bella that he could read other people's thoughts. I'm with Polly about Edward being sort of shaken at the time. He was so mad and was trying to control himself that he was just talking.

About Edward not being able to read Bella's mind, I won't even go there because I don't get it. LOL. With Alice and Jasper working their powers on Bella, it just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe Stephanie will expound on that in the next book.

3. Edward and Bella's humanity was best displayed when they're together. Every time they kiss, they touch, they flirt with each other... They would do anything for each other.

4. Edward's age creeped me out for a little bit. I mean he's really old, LOL, and Bella is only 17. I didn't understand at first why, after all those years, after all the women/vampires Edward has met, it's Bella he wanted, a very plain girl. It can't just be Bella, there must be someone in his past who he used to love or was attracted to? But I guess it's one of the mysteries of love. And I did understand more about him being drawn her after reading NEW MOON. I don't think it was explained that much in TWILIGHT.

1/29/2007 05:20:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

>>>And, on a completely different thread, I wonder what it is about the Cullens that separates them from the other vampires.

But they're not the only "vegetarian" vampires. What about those Tanya family they kept mentioning? Aren't they vegetarians too?

I guess it has something to do with Carlisle. Plus, I think it helps that when Carlisle "made" the Cullens, from the beginning, Carlisle already installed into them the "no drinking from humans" rule. It's like growing up with something. Surely that made things better than say Laurent who "grew up" with drinking human blood. :)

1/29/2007 05:27:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

That's good to know Dance. I want to think Edward usually feels Bella up when no one's looking. LOL.

1/29/2007 05:30:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

RE: Yes, we liked the show quite a bit when it was called "Angel.""

I don't think I'd like to see another Angel on TV. LOL. Don't get me wrong, I was a Buffy fan too but, oh well, I don't know...

1/29/2007 05:35:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Oh good to know about the YA sex! LOL :P

1/29/2007 05:37:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

When Edward didn't return to class, there was no doubt in my mind he would come back but it was so apparent that he detested Bella during that first class together I thought he had to stay away for a couple of days to at least calm himself.

Edward's attitude when he came back seemed genuine to me. I thought he was making it up to her.

I was a little surprised when Edward said he could read minds, but I just kept reading. It was one of those scenes with a lot of things going on all you can do is continue with the story. I was also surprised to learn that vampires have "special" or extra powers.

I have no clue as to why Edward can't read Bella's thoughts but maybe it has something to do with her blood.

Humanity: Edward is presented to us like he's a god but he feels afraid for Bella, he feels jealousy, he feels powerless when it comes to her.

Edward's age didn't bother me. I've read other vampire books with the same age "problem" and I think it's one of those things you just have to take when you want to read vampire stories.

I don't think I would like to read about a detailed sex scene between Bella and Edward. I can understand what Harlot means though because I would love to know that they're finally getting it on, heheh but that's it. This series is still for young adults.

1/29/2007 06:07:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

What warts? Euw, warts are disgusting!

1/29/2007 06:12:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I'm confused as well about Edward not being able to read Bella's mind. I have to admit I didn't even realized that till after reading the comments here. I don't think Stephenie Meyer explained it well.

By the way, that Twilight site is very helpful! I had the same question as Danielle. :) I thought Mom Esme is older than Edward... apparently not.

Speaking of Esme, I loved it when Edward said that it doesn't matter even if Bella is duck footed, Esme would still accept her. It's one of those things that shows how the Cullens love each other, and even if they're not truly related, they're a family in every sense of the word.

1/29/2007 06:19:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

>>>It's one of those things that shows how the Cullens love each other, and even if they're not truly related, they're a family in every sense of the word.

I wonder if the other vegetarian vampires act the same, or it's only the Cullens.

1/29/2007 06:39:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, it took me a little while to get in to this book, because I kept thinking "young adult", but after I finished it yesterday, I spent a good hour on SM's website reading about upcoming stories, movies, etc.

1. I figured he'd gone off to hunt to get the feeding urge under control. I really had trouble seeing Edward as 17, or his whole family as high school kids. One example is the polite way he treated Bella when he came back. He's 17, hormonal crazed teen boys are not polite.

2. I was surprised by how quickly he seemed to admit to reading minds, being a vampire, etc. Only reasoning I could see is that he was trying to scare off Bella by being truthful with her.

3. Humanity - sorry, I'm not that in-depth of a reader to think about humanity. I'll admit I skimmed a lot of this book, thought there was too much detail on trivial stuff. But then, I tend to lean toward the shorter, formulaic category romances as opposed to the single title ones that are discussed here.

4. I don't think I would have thought about the age thing without someone pointing it out. It did creep me out at first. I didn't catch that Edward was a virgin; missed that part.

Okay. Sex. On one hand, I was reading thinking they have to get to it eventually. But I'm also the mother of young kids, and if they start reading as much as I did in my early teens, I won't have time for my own reading because I'll be screening all of their crap if there's sex in YA books.

I read the promos for New Moon - does this have a HEA? Let me clarufy - a HEA with Bella and Edward?

1/29/2007 10:33:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Yes. I didn't know anything about NM when I picked it up; I just got it because I liked Twilight so much. It is also very good, and more emotionally trying than Twilight. (Some of the mythology is expanded upon, but not really explained all that well - perhaps more will be revealed in later books that will help clear up some confusion).

1/30/2007 02:24:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

First, I loved this book. I have to admit I didn't expect to like it as much as I did seeing it's a book for "young adults".

1. I honestly didn't thought where Edward went at the time. I was sure however that it's related to Bella showing up.

2. I was surprised by how quickly Edward admitted to reading other people's minds. Unless you're trying to earn a living through it, that's quite a secret most people don't talk about. It's either he was testing her reaction or he's trying to scare her off.

3. I'm not sure... I'm find it hard to imagine Edward as a mere human. Although for someone who is immortal, he has a lot of insecurities and fears. As for Bella's humanity, she is very vulnerable: clumsy, easy to get hurt, sensitive.

4. No problem with Edward's age or his history. I'm actually hoping that in the future books, maybe SM could explore more of Edward's background. I want to at least have some idea how he used to live when he was human. On that note, I wonder if he would actually fall in love with Bella if they met when he's still human.

1/30/2007 04:32:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

RE: Virginity

About Edward being a virgin, I didn't catch that one. Is he really? I have to re-read that part. I just assumed that he's not, he is what? 106?

RE: I wonder what the book would have been like if I weren't spoiled that Edward's a vampire.

I thought of the same thing. It would definitely add to the mystery. I'm not much of a Buffy fan like Dance :) but this reminds me of the first time I read Harry's book. What is it with all the owls? Who would want to talk to Harry that desperately? How did he/she knew where exactly to address the letters? It was insane. LOL.

RE: Sex

I don't want to read the detailed version either but I want to know that they get to it eventually.

RE: Did anyone else catch on to Bella being able to SMELL blood even though humans can't smell blood?

I think there are people who can smell blood. And I guess this is why Bella gets sick whenever she sees it. I agree, Bella's very perceptive, especially in NEW MOON.

1/30/2007 04:52:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Re: I read the promos for New Moon - does this have a HEA? Let me clarufy - a HEA with Bella and Edward?

NM has a HEA. Sort of. Anyway, as of now, SM is planning to write 4(?) more books in the series.


Re: I wonder if he would actually fall in love with Bella if they met when he's still human.

That's interesting. Dunno. Probably if they had the chance to get to know each other. But right off the bat, hmm, i don't think Edward was that interested in Bella when they first met.. :/

1/30/2007 09:39:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

I think it's 4 books in total planned. Not including Midnight Sun. And SM has outlines for 2 more after the 4 - Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse (Oct 2007), Breaking Dawn (2008?) - but isn't sure if she's going to write those stories or publish them.

1/30/2007 05:24:00 PM