Saturday, September 1, 2007

Book Selection of the Month (September '07)

“What a splendid day! ... I pity people who aren’t born yet for missing it. They may have good days, of course, but they can never have this one.”
- Anne Shirley


I first read Anne of Green Gables when I was in seventh grade and fell madly in love with Anne Shirley and the world she made for herself in Prince Edward Island. There are no words with which I could express how much I love these books so it would be a terrible injustice if I tried to describe them and ended up falling short—which I’m bound to do. I’ll leave you with what the great Mark Twain wrote to L.M. Montgomery in a letter and a small synopsis of the book, but before I go I would like to welcome all our female (and male) readers to join BBC for this selection and have their mothers and daughters join the discussion we’ll be having at the end of this month. This is truly a book for everyone and sharing it with others brings so much joy. Enjoy...


“In Anne of Green Gables, you will find the dearest and most moving and delightful child since the immortal Alice.”
- Mark Twain


Stemming from a single line in a note-book: “Elderly couple apply to orphan asylum for a boy. By mistake a girl is sent to them,” arose a book that put Canadian literature and Prince Edward Island on the map.

The nostalgic charm of Avonlea comes alive in Lucy Maud Montgomery’s heart-warming tale set on the quaint island of Prince William about an aging brother and sister, Mathew and Marilla Cuthbert, and their decision to adopt a young boy to help with chores around their farm. However, as the result of a misunderstanding the boy turns out to be a feisty, independent, and wildly imaginative redheaded girl named Anne. Marilla’s first reaction to this news is, “What use is she to us?” Wherein Mathew replies, “We might be of some use to her.” Throughout this moving story these two statements mix and meld together so richly and completely that they become one truth. Three lives are changed so dramatically that none can imagine life without the others. Each new day brings a new set of adventures, often hilarious and always uplifting. Anne’s vivid and overactive imagination is the cause of many mishaps, but her saving grace is her heart of gold. Her best friend and “kindred spirit,” Diana, and her handsome admirer, Gilbert Blythe, often find themselves unintentional victims of Anne’s escapades.

Displaced, orphaned, alone, Anne weaves her way into he hearts of not only the fictional characters she comes across in Montgomery’s plots, but also, and most importantly, the readers. Nearly one hundred years later, her worldwide appeal is untouched.


Related:

Labels: , ,


16 comment(s):

Blogger Petra said...

Trollop, GREAT choice! Oh I luuuuuuuuve Anne of Green Gables. I read it when I was 12 and I still think it is one of the most delightful books in this world. BBC is the perfect excuse to read it again!

9/01/2007 07:34:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Oh Gilbert Blythe, how I love thee...

9/01/2007 08:41:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Great choice BB. I love Anne of Gree Gables. I always spell all the Anne's I know with an "E". :) I'm looking forward to the discussion ladies.

9/01/2007 08:53:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I meant Green!

9/01/2007 08:53:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how did you know i was daydreaming yesterday and googled about moving to maine. i swear i dream of snow.

why not combine my heat exhaustion w/my political grousing (when i grumble fuck this i'm moving to canada) and transport myself to prince edward island

plus i can not-think about finding a grown-up job and remember staying at my aunt and uncles farm.

trollop-how perfect. ty

9/01/2007 09:44:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Excellent. I love Anne and her imagination. Everyone should read this series.

9/01/2007 10:58:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Are you doing the entire series for the BBC or just the first book? I've only read Rilla of Ingleside (I did read Anne of Green Gables but don't remember it too well), though I've read quite a few other LMM books. One of these days I think I will have to finish the series.

9/02/2007 02:16:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Petra, I haven't read it in couple of years so that's mostly why I decided upon it! *g* Also b/c its one of those books that no matter how many times you read or how long ago you read never loses its magic.

Dance, Only AOGG though I really like Anne of Avonlea. Maybe, if you guys are game we could discuss the fist two. If its too much AOGG should be great.

Have you guys seen the "sullivan" films?I honestly love them. They are so true to the books. Also, as a child I was obsessed with Road to Avonlea which they gave in the Disney Channel. Anyone else remember that show?

9/02/2007 04:57:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choice! I love these books,I grew up with them alongside the 3 movies and the cartoon. Anne is one of the nicest characters of my childhood,so smart and with such a fantasy!And Gilbert Blythe was simply adorable with his devotion.

Road to Avonlea is actually being aired here in Italy right now,but it's early in the morning. Quite enjoyable!!

9/02/2007 09:08:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Trollop, personally I think we should do the second book as well. Anne of Green Gables isn't that long. :)

9/03/2007 03:44:00 AM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Good choice! Who doesn't love Anne? Anne is so lovable and so smart with full of hopes and dreams. I love the Sullivan movies as well.

9/03/2007 04:52:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never read it, don't know what it is about, I'll try it.

In a hurry, smiles and stuff to you,

GWB

9/03/2007 12:21:00 PM  

Blogger Amber said...

I love the Anne series so much that I actually named my two cats Anne Shirley Temple and Princess Diana Berry!

9/03/2007 04:54:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Sofakitty, welcome, hope you can join us on our discussion. :)

GWB, you too! *hmph* :P

9/03/2007 11:23:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Good choice Trollop! I love Anne!

9/04/2007 11:59:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Trollop, when is the discussion going to start and which Anne books are included? Thanks!

9/05/2007 09:34:00 AM