Friday, August 31, 2007

Sebastian, Lord of Scoundrels The Elephant Man

Trollop’s confession of being a hero snob (and proud of it—for shame, I tell you!) reminded me of our talk months ago regarding Loretta Chase’s The Last Hellion and Lord of Scoundrels. (I haven’t read either book—Trollop’s fault, really.)

Basically, she lurves Vere Mallory, the notorious Duke of Ainswood, because, well, he’s pretty. On the other hand, she UNlurves Sebastian Ballister, the notorious (they’re all notorious) Marquess of Dain, because he’s fugly like Britney Spears—who, if you haven’t heard, is now making a comeback with new “songs” that are every bit as horrifying as I’d expected with lyrics like: “I’m just the girl with the ability to drive a man crazy/ Make him come in my mouth/ Make him my new baby.” Yeah. Right. Fucking idiot. For the love of all that is pure and holy, someone brave needs to stab her in the heart with a silver cross!

Oh-ho-kay, where were we? Right. Hero snob. So! Since I’m lazy, hee, here are the screencaps (from my trusty MSGR history :D) of that conversation I mentioned above. (Again, apologies for the typos; Trollop’s in purple, me in green.)




I’m not a hero snob as well, am I? *sniff* Oh, c’mon! That Evil Woman Trollop tells me Sebastian is known as Beezlebub and ugly-UGLEEE like Quasimodo and you expect me to oooh and aaahh over him??? Give me a fucking break!

I’m curious though, because this isn’t the first time I heard LOS is “like, the best romance E-VAH.” I don’t know how romancing Beezlebub Quasimodo can top lovin’ Matt “Harlot’s One & Only Uber True Love” Farrell (MATT. IS. MINE. *glaring*) but hey, to each her own. :P But then again, maybe I shouldn’t factor Trollop’s judgment on this since she’s a shameless hero snob. Hmmm... Now I’m conflicted. :/

Those who have read LOS, is it as bad as Trollop says it is, or is it really the BESTEST romance in the land? Did you like Dain less (or the book itself) because he could give The Elephant Man a run for his money? Promithe, I won’t call you a hero snob (outloud *cough*) if you did...

Labels: , ,


10 comment(s):

Blogger Stacia said...

I haven't read the book, but I gotta say, making a man come in your mouth isn't exactly a big acheivement. I mean, really. Most guys could come in a bowl of Jello.

8/31/2007 06:40:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I head the same thing! 'The best romance ever'. I don't know what the fuss is with that book I thought it's just average.

Harlot & Trollop, your exchanges are too funny. You two crack me up!

Britney Spears is an idiot. I heard she is performing at the VMAs. Also being investigated for child abuse.

Olly

8/31/2007 07:14:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

December! Bowl of jello? Lol!

Olly

8/31/2007 07:15:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I *heart* LOS. :D But I'm not entirely sure what Dain looks like (I don't imagine characters' appearances very well in my head. Or they all start to look like Dean), and mostly I love the book for Jessica.

I don't think he's as ugly as he's made out to be in the beginning, or maybe he's prettified as the story goes on... And I think the descriptions are vague enough that the reader is free to imagine him as she likes. Or possibly, that's just me not remembering what he looks like all that well. I know he's not handsome or perhaps not even good looking, but I don't think he's so very unattractive/unappealing.

9/01/2007 12:15:00 AM  

Blogger Chez said...

I adore LOS because it's one of the funniest, strangest, memorable books I've read. You start with what I call the prologue that roars (I hate prologues) that allows you to forgive all the arsey things the hero does. He is described as ugly with a big nose in the prologue. He then for the rest of the book is described in many different ways and you wonder (but never actually get told) if he grew into his features. The heroine thinks he is HAWT as hot. The heroine is one of the best in romance fiction as she is clever, funny and has the best dry wit. I mean what's not to love, he wrongs her, behaves like a 9 year old and wont do the "right" thing, so she shoots him. She's great. He is a scream as he deals with a person who actually desires him without payment. You very quickly get past his looks. He's just so large on the page that he becomes gorgeous to the reader.

9/01/2007 04:28:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my, oh so honest, humble opinion. Lord of Scoundrels is about the hero's self-esteem issues. He's always been made to feel ugly and unwanted (because as an Englishman, he's half Italian!) BUT, the heroine does a great job of making the reader see differently. I mean, through the first half of the book, you think the hero is not only ugly but evil; but when we start seeing it from the heroine's perspective, he's actually gorgeous (as mixed kids usually are) and he does his best to self-peserve. I loved this book! Definitely one of the best romances out there. The heroine was just fantastic IMO. Read it! It's so worth it! I've yet to hear one bad word about this book.

Amal

9/01/2007 09:08:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Thanks, you guys. Chez, loved the bit about the shooting LOL, though that's a spoiler :P but no harm really.

Welcome to Amal and Chez. Amal, glad to see you here. :D Hope you guys join us often. Don't worry about that evil woman Trollop, will protect you from her and her evilness. ;)

9/01/2007 10:24:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I have to admit I didn't care about Dain at the beginning but by the end I loved him. It's the heroine though, who made the book enjoyable for me. One of my favorite parts is the boxing bout. Harlot, LOS is a fantastic read.

9/01/2007 11:10:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I wouldn't get excited either if I heard the hero is "hideously ugly" and has a "nose the size of a house". LOL Trollop. I haven't read LOS but I loved Lord Perfect. I thought it was witty and funny and sexy.

Does that mean LC's best book to date is LOS?

9/01/2007 07:42:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I thought Jessica (the heroine) was wonderful, although there were times I wanted her to be less than perfect. Dain was interesting and not Quasimodo ugly at all, lol. He didn't appeal to me however. I didn't like the too much self-pity he had and I didn't like the way he treated his son.

Don't get me wrong. LOS is not a bad read but I do think that it is OVER rated.

9/01/2007 09:04:00 PM