Monday, August 27, 2007

I don't care what my teacher says, I'm gonna be a supermodel

I can’t believe I’d ever say this but I’m exhausted of NOT working. Yes, yes, I help with my father’s company but, you know, I’ve never really worked. :/ I have never experienced applying for a job or waking up at ungodly hour so as to not be late for office or get worried my boss will kick my ass every time I leave work to go ice creaming. Oh, jeez! Stop with the rotten tomatoes!!!

When I was a wee heathen, I dreamt of becoming a pilot; I love to travel and I love flying (not into bird sex so becoming a bird is out!). I also wanted to be a painter but besides my duty-bound family, I doubt anyone would appreciate my doodles LOL. Then, there were times I wanted to be an astronaut, a sculptor, a novelist, a mermaid—but somewhere in between those “everything is possible for me” years and dreaming of all the coooool things I thought I’d do, I lost track of what I really wanted and ended up doing... nothing. :(

I always hear of people complaining about their jobs. Not enough pay, no time off, no hotties to flirt with, but hey, at least they know what they want and their life is being challenged (dare I say inspired too?) fueled by participation. Sometimes I couldn’t help but wonder if these people who work to pay their shopping addiction got a better deal than me. Don’t get me wrong; I’m very grateful for what I have but there are times I look back and think: I should have done it and flown like a pritti birdie...

Hmmm. Anyway, tell us, what type of job do you dream about? Do you wish you’re doing something else, or you’re already doing what you’ve always wanted? Do you fantasize tying your boss/colleague to his posh, leather high-back chair and have your wicked way with him? Ohc’mon—give us something to gossip about! :P

Here’s a screencap from my MSGR. Thought I’d share one of those times Trollop and I talk about jobs. (Sorry for the typos; we’re pritti bad spellers LOL. Oh. Trollop’s in purple, me green; eggplant, really.)


Labels: ,


10 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

VT- i'm so glad you got outta the bible sales thingie without being kidnapped into a Big Love episode lol

i've had many jobs. i remember once at an advertising photo outfit, after 2 days i pulled the superviser aside and confessed i had no idea what i was supposed to be seeing at all. he was good about it, switched me to something else immediately ;)

8/27/2007 04:47:00 PM  

Blogger Pepper said...

My whole life I dreamed of having a horse farm. Well, since I live in the Midwest there is nothing that I can do in the horse industry that is going to support my shopping habits, so I opted to manage one instead. I was so excited when I started it and I do still love it. I have to say that it is no longer my dream job, not that being ankle deep in horse shit everyday isin't great...the novelty of the business wore off after a few to many days of 6AM to 9PM being at a barn all by myself with nothing but my laptop and iPod to keep me company. I guess it's just no fun when you are not taking care of your own horses.

I think I am going to find a job that serves gin and tonics while shopping with unlimited funding!! Or maybe a photographer...or a writer...or a web designer...

8/27/2007 05:45:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

It landed from heaven. LOL!

I had waited tables all the way through college and after I got my degree and after months of job hunting I was grateful for what I could get my hands on. But after weeks of being an administrative assistant, I started to question, what the hell were the past four years good for if the only skill I'd need were how to bandage paper cuts. I felt restless and that I wasn't being challenged and wasn't using my talent. It wasn't until I was in my 30s that I got the job I really wanted.

My advice is to find something you're passionate about and make a living out of it.

8/27/2007 05:58:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well right now I'm still trying to get my degree. As for jobs, part time, I have worked in a boutique, restaurant, and many promo jobs. You know, girls selling cigarettes or alcohol in sexy red mini skirts :D

When we (my cousins, and many of my friends) were growing up, all we wanted was to get married to a rich husband and open up a boutique to support our shopping habits lol. I have to say, working in a boutique disillusioned me in no small way. It's not as easy as I thought.

Time went by, I met many people from all walks of life, entering college really opened my eyes. Right now I'd be happy to work in a successful tv station, behind the scenes. Other days I want to be a war reporter. But then I think about my precious skin care and then I panic. I have unnaturally dry skin, so bear with me.

I wanted, and still do, to become a singer. Yup, go figure. Mind you, I am not one of those contestants who goes to those Idol shows and honestly doesn't know that they're REALLY bad. I think I hit the notes quite well ;) I almost had a record deal when I was 10, but Grandma wasn't happy about it, and the opportunity passed by. My friends and everybody else are all pushing me to go Indonesian Idol next year, and I keep saying no. I'm just not that confident. The three judges are all very Simon Cowell-like! Nuts! It's such a cliche, those idol shows, but maybe, just maybe.. If it helps me to get a dream job...

8/28/2007 12:38:00 AM  

Blogger Aradia said...

I still don’t know what I’m gonna do and I’ve passed 30! Sheesh! I tutored high schoolers when I was studying for my bachelor. Then for a few years I worked as a chemist in a couple of manufacturing companies. Hated my job with passion, so quite industrial chemistry forever. Went back to school studying Design (and Art!), went for internship and hated that too! Spent six months in total depression, thinking about jumping ship again and going for pharmacy, then had a brilliant flash of inspiration and started PhD in Engineering! Are you completely confused? Not as half as me!
Me think is I’m still waiting for myself to grow up!won't be soon!

8/28/2007 01:53:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

My whole life I dreamed of having a horse farm.

Me too. Although horses are 24/7 and not an 8-5 job... so I'm not entirely sure I'd want my own barn (unless I had the $$$ for barn staff, not to mention in order to buy the property in the first place). Mostly, I want to board somewhere that's not over an hour away, with sane owners that know what they're doing and at prices that won't break the bank account. Sigh.

8/28/2007 03:25:00 AM  

Blogger Menchie said...

God, that was such a funny exchange between the two of you.

Have been stuck in an awful planning session the WHOLE day. More of the same tomorrow.

I wish I had a job as one of those travel thingies on tv where they get to stay and rate the world's best resorts, hotels, etc! Traveling and staying at the best places...what could be more wonderful?

8/28/2007 09:49:00 AM  

Blogger Tara Dean said...

When I was little I always wanted to be a teacher, but then I turned 18 and I realized I sucked at trying to explain things to people, so I threw my 'back up' plan away.

When I was really, really little I wanted to marry a McDonalds manager, but then I realized I was crazy and threw that idea out as well.

I've pretty much always wanted to be in theatre. That is what I am studying right now at university. Although, I don't have a full idea as to what I am going to do with this BFA. I don't want to be a starving artist my whole life, but I haven't discovered what else I am good at yet. I might try to teach acting, but to actual have a good career in that I would have to get my Masters, and for that I'd have to to go Toronto (way to freaking cold), the states (way to freaking expensive) or London (very far away, and again also very expensive). So...yeah, right now I am ignoring the fact that I won't have much to do after I graduate unless I decided to take the plunge go to grad school and become bankrupt before I am even 30....eesh.....

I work at Starbucks part time right now. Which isn't so bad, except I work in the fincial district so I get a lot of very annul ratentive customers that think just because they are playing 4 bucks for a drink that they own me and can piss all over me. (I won't open my complaining can of worms because then it will just sound like a hissy fit...)

Speaking of which, I should be off to my job now....bah

8/28/2007 04:05:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Pepper, Dance,
I have no idea what goes on in a horse farm, though the thought of getting near a horse that might trample me scares me to death. :/


Babz,
Indonesian Idol? Are you kidding? Go ahead and try!!! :D I think there's no shame in trying. :) And who knows, maybe you'll be the next Britney Spears!

LOL Just kidding. Well, is Charlotte Church good enough for you? ;)


Aradia,
So are you still studying? Sometimes i think i should just go back to school. I was really happy in Engineering school. But, god, i hate *going* to school. :/ I was always ALWAYS late, ditching classes, etc. Not proud of it but, yeah, i had fun though.

Anyway, i'm going to have art classes next month so...

8/29/2007 10:36:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Menchie,
OMG I wanted the same job! Those travelling shows where they sample all the best foods and desserts and dine at fine restaurants and stay at fab resorts/hotels and go to spas... ahhh heaven.


Tara,
Pretty sure i can't be in a theatre production or whatever you call these things, as i can't act and i can't sing and i dance like a drunk smurfette but i love going to see shows.

Love Starbucks btw. I mean i don't drink coffee (vile stuff) but love the other stuff they have. :P

8/29/2007 10:41:00 AM