Monday, September 24, 2007

Ladies, knights and fairy tales

Lately I’m kinda losing faith on something important and for some reason, I find reading medieval romances to be my beacon of light. I suppose it’s all those unforgettable studly knights when chivalry and honor still prevail, causes are noble, quests are fulfilling, and the love of a woman is precious and forever.

There is something about the Middle Ages that is perfect for romance. Castles, pageants, tournaments, bard’s tales and colorful pennants everywhere... Bold knights on their stomping steeds, beautiful damsels/ladies with embroidered gowns and long braided hair, wizards and witches brew ale, dragons are real and a frog could really be a charming prince... Well, you can’t say it couldn’t be! *hmph*

I just started Madeline Hunter’s By Possession; liking it so far. Last week I reread Jill Barnett’s medieval trilogy: Wonderful, Wild and Wicked. (Read them only once years ago and for shame that I’d forgotten how funny these books were.) Then, I read Elizabeth Lowell’s Untamed and yesterday finished Penelope Williamson’s Keeper of the Dream.

Oh, my good Xenu, how do I love KOTD? Let me count the ways... I love it to the depth and breath and... oh, fuck it. Just put it this way: I ABSOLUTELY agree with Julie Garwood when she said that it’s “one of the most beautiful love stories I’ve ever read.” If you won’t listen to me, listen to her. ;)

But truly, what a beautiful, BEE-YOO-TIFUL story. *sigh* It made me laugh (out loud, aye) and cry (like a crazy girl, aye—well, I am that but—ah get with it!) and, ohhh man, I swear I loooooved every fucking minute of it.** It has EVERYTHING I’ve ever wanted in a medieval love story and more. Er, heh, that sounds like a song but true nonetheless. It’s exceptional and exciting, delightful and different, very entertaining, GLORIOUS in every way... It’s one of the best damn books I’ve read in a long time. KOTD is definitely a MUST read.

Now, speaking of Garwood, did you know that her new book, Shadow Music, is a medieval? I haven’t been a good Harlot lately so I don’t know what I did to deserve this but OH MY OH MY OH MY SQUEEEE! :D (Never did like her contemporaries. :/) According to her website (for crying out loud, it’s in flash and fucking hard to navigate!):


Brodick Buchanan, the hero of Ransom will play a key role in the story. Our new hero, Colm MacHugh, is a close ally to the Buchanans, and both Brodick and Colm share a common dislike for the MacKenna clan, especially when it comes to the future of a beautiful woman named Gabrielle.


**I loved Keeper of the Dream so much that it now rivals JM’s A Kingdom of Dreams as the best medieval romance in my harloty heart. Aye. Never thought that could happen.

Labels: ,


21 comment(s):

Blogger Stacia said...

Ah, I love medievals too. It's always been one of the historical periods that particularly calls to me.

9/24/2007 05:08:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, thank you!! I have found more great books from reading about them on this site than anywhere else. I love you girls, you're the best.

9/24/2007 09:07:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Oh, thanks for the recommendation! It looks like something I'd enjoy, and most of the reviewers in amazon gave it 5 stars! Wow.

I too love medieval romances and Garwood's medievals will always be favorites of mine. I can't believe she is writing another one. Yay! This is like a dream come true! After all these years of nothing but her so so suspense books, she is finally coming back to her roots! :D

9/24/2007 09:44:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I am a fan of medieval romances. I've been reading time travel ones which are also pretty good albeit strange. Lorelei, I love Julie Garwoods medievals. They aren't the most memorable books (I've read a whole bunch but I think I can only recall one plot) but they are good anyways =D

9/25/2007 05:50:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

It sounds good. I'll check it out.

I prefer reading contemporaries but funny that if you'll look at my keepers shelf, most of them are historical novels.

9/26/2007 09:34:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Oh, I love medieval romances. I *LOVE* McNaught's A Kingdom of Dreams. If Keeper of the Dream ended up as good as AKOD for me... then I wouldn't know how to thank you. :P But for now, thanks for the rec!

9/27/2007 09:38:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Harlot. I kept thinking where I saw the knight in the picture lol. Anyway, I really like Shanna Abe and her medieval books are great.

Olly

9/27/2007 10:09:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Shana Abe is good! The Truelove Bride, Intimate Enemies, The Smoke Thief, The Dream Thief...

9/27/2007 10:34:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Harlot, thanks for this. When it comes to medieval romance, I will always remember McNaught's Kingdom of Dreams and Lynn Kurland's This Is All I Ask, both belong on my keeper shelf.

9/27/2007 11:25:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Lord Farquaad. :P

I love medievals too. I agree, there is something very romance-y about the Middle Ages. If time travel is possible, I would love to go back and experience a little of that period. Not to stay permanently, though LOL. Imagine, no bathroom, no cars, no tv, no computer! Jeez!

9/27/2007 12:40:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Thanks Harlot! And I can't wait for that Julie Garwood book. It's been so long....oh, I'm excited already!

9/27/2007 07:03:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Oh thank you. There is a swarm of good regency romance but for some reason only a few good medieval romance.

9/27/2007 08:13:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!! I love Penelope Williamson. It is such a shame that so few have discovered this author. Have you read Once in a Blue Moon and The Outsider? Wonderful reads like Keeper of the Dream, lovely stories in so many ways.

9/27/2007 10:13:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've gotta see if I can find Keeper of the Dream!! I hope my used bookstore will have it because its rather expensive at Amazon.

9/28/2007 01:27:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a real whore for the vikings lately.

Pirates are popping in my head lately too. Maybe I'll binge on them next.

I like midevil as well. I like the days when when men were men... strong, physical, chilvarous, and made the woman feel taken care of.

Miss you girls!

GWB

*NO NO! Not the buttons! Not my gumdrop buttons!*

9/29/2007 12:40:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Ok, so I went to my used bookstore to get Keeper of the Dream and they don't have it. :(

I got Heart of the West, though.

GWB, vikings? Have you read Sandra Hill? She has the most wonderful viking heroes and they are a hoot!

9/29/2007 08:54:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

This book is too expensive at amazon! $27 for a paperback? Maybe it is that good. LOL Good thing I got one from ebay for 5 bucks. :D

10/01/2007 08:10:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Girls, try half.ebay.com ;)

10/01/2007 11:04:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks for the recommendation!

10/01/2007 11:07:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Lorelei, I love Sandra Hill! I second this recommendation. Her viking books are hilarious.

10/01/2007 12:19:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Jordis, her other books are hilarious as well. I absolutely loved The Love Potion and Frankly My Dear, which is like a parody of Gone With The Wind lol.

10/01/2007 09:22:00 PM