Yo ho ho! It’s Talk Like a Pirate Day, aye! So, how ye be celebratin’, me beasties—er, beauties? :D We be wantin’ to ’ere from any bucko who’s out and about runnin’ a rig (playing a trick) or sinkin’ grog (drinking) while lookin’ fer booty! Me talkin’ treasures, ye dirty pervs. I mean, ye scallywags LOL.
Wot? Ye dinna ken notch about swashbucklin’ pirates? Blimey! Sink me, ye swabs! Dinna pass the day without ye mutterin’ a single piratin’ word or readin’ a pirate book! ’Ere, le’me show ye a glossary and booklist ah’ve compiled for a sea-worthy matey. ;)
avast! - A command meaning stop or desist.
blow the man down - To kill someone.
bring a spring upon her cable - To come around in a different direction.
bucko - A familiar term meaning friend.
chantey - A song sung by sailors to the rhythm of their movements while working.
clap of thunder - A strong, alcoholic drink.
crack Jenny’s tea cup - To spend the night in a house of ill repute.
dead men tell no tales - Standard pirate excuse for leaving no survivors.
grog - An alcoholic liquor, especially rum diluted with water. Admiral Vernon is said to have been the first to dilute the rum of sailors (about 1745).
hang the jib - To pout or frown.
hearties - A term of familiar address and fellowship among sailors.
hempen halter - The hangman’s noose.
loaded to the gunwalls - To be drunk.
maroon - To abandon a person on a deserted coast or island with little in the way of supplies.
measured fer yer chains - To be outfitted for a gibbet cage.
mutiny - To rise against authority, especially the captain of a ship.
parley - A conference or discussion between opposing sides during a dispute.
run a shot across the bow - A command to fire a warning shot.
salmagundi - A salad usually consisting of chopped meat, anchovies, eggs and onions, often arranged in rows on lettuce and served with vinegar and oil.
scourge of the seven seas - A pirate known for his extremely violent and brutal nature.
six pounders - Cannons.
smartly - Quickly.
Now, ’ere are some hot hot HOT pirates ye be wantin’ to lick all over, especially thar tattoos! Mmm mmmm... Er, heh, read I mean *g*:
- Looking for a Hero by Patti Berg
- My Fallen Angel by Pamela Britton
- Across a Moonlit Sea by Marsha Canham
- The Iron Rose by Marsha Canham
- The Wind and the Sea by Marsha Canham
- His Wicked Kiss by Gaelen Foley
- The Pirate Prince by Gaelen Foley
- Guardian Angel by Julie Garwood
- The Gift by Julie Garwood
- The Pirate and the Pagan by Virginia Henley
- Beauvallet by Georgette Heyer
- The Pirate Lord by Sabrina Jeffries
- The Game by Brenda Joyce
- Shadowheart by Laura Kinsale
- Only With Your Love by Lisa Kleypas
- It Happened One Night by Leslie LaFoy
- A True Lady by Edith Layton
- Gentle Rogue by Johanna Lindsey
- The Windflower by Laura London
- A Pirate of Her Own by Kinley MacGregor
- Master of Seduction by Kinley MacGregor