Thursday, January 11, 2007

Would you like a side of crickets with that?

Sarah Brophy confessed to us that she *gasp* loves to eat raw pasta. No disrespect to La Tisty but... EUUWWW!!! Er, *ahem* I mean, won’t you get grain weevils from that or something? :/ Then again, I remember my bunny Taten used to get wiggly and jumpy whenever I gave her raw spaghetti. (Oh, I miss her... *sniff*) This made me think of “weird” things I myself love to eat.

Trollop has always been disgusted by my eating microwaved canned corn with cheese. *rolling eyes* In fact, come to think of it, I eat a lot of stuff she thinks are weird or disgusting: avocado milkshake (which I absolutely LURVE), eggs with ketchup, and lechón with sarsa to name a few. BTW, she says “it’s saLsa, not saRsa.” Honestly... it’s sarsa, sarsa, SARRRRSA!!!!

It’s not as if Miss I-can-cook-and-make-anything-from-scatch Trollop (who makes her own granola bars because nothing already available is good enough for her—snobby freak!) doesn’t eat anything weird herself. I mean she eats mash potatoes with black beans for crying out loud, not to mention that brown puddle of icky soupy treat she calls “habichuela con dulce.” *shudder*

I know someone who eats cookie dough and frozen French fries (as in bloody raw potatoes!!!). He hasn’t gone to meet his maker yet so I guess it’s not lethal. :/ I’ve heard of freakos who like deep-fried monkey toes and others who die for some pig’s blood with scrambled eggs. But the ickiest/weirdest I’ve ever come across: mayo and banana sandwiches, sometimes with onions. *gag* Gotta say, for fuck’s sakes, what’s wrong with people???

Anyway, what about you? Digested any live chickens lately? Slug soup? Or are you the type that prefers chocolate covered bugs and eats banana worm bread and/or boiled eggs in jello? What things do you like to devour that make others think you’re a disgusting, revolting, full of freaky mycotoxins weirdo?

Labels: ,


59 comment(s):

Blogger ValVega said...

Good thing Harlot decided to change that first paragraph, because that sick and twisted pet murderer wanted to post this:

"Then again, I remember my bunny Taten (the one I fattened to roast last xmas) used to get wiggly and jumpy whenever I gave her raw spaghetti. (Oh, I miss her... *sniff* though gotta say, she was delish! *YUMMY*) This made me think of “weird” things I myself love to eat."

1/11/2007 04:23:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Speaking of pets, you know Trollop has a dog named Vodka, and *GASP* she magically disappeared! Now come to think of it since she loves the idea of eating pets, Trollop probably ate her!!!!!

1/11/2007 04:33:00 PM  

Blogger Nikky said...

I used to have a thing for Sardines (in mustard sauce) on Saltines eaten with strawberry yogurt.... of course, in my defense, I was pregnant at the time. I think I lived on that concoction for almost 7 months. YUMMY!
Nowadays, I stick to "normal" things...

1/11/2007 05:26:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Trollop and Harlot, LMAO! You two always crack me up.
I like mayo on my sandwiches but I don't think that's weird... I used to love green mangos with cream. Yum!

1/11/2007 05:38:00 PM  

Blogger Sara Hope said...

Hey all, my first time commenting on this blog *wave* hi!

My friends think it's weird that I eat peanut butter, bacon, and margarine sandwiches (although just peanut butter and margarine is good too, but that also weirds them out).

1/11/2007 05:41:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I eat bananas with feta cheese and maple syrup. I don't think there's something unusual with that but my friends thin it's weird. lol

Olly

1/11/2007 05:51:00 PM  

Blogger Tisty said...

*sigh* you never going to let me forget the raw pasta thing are you? its not like I eat it often. It was just that when I was kid....

oh and raw cookie dough is Faaaaantastic!!!

1/11/2007 06:06:00 PM  

Blogger M.Amanda said...

My boyfriend eats salami sandwiches with grape jelly.

As a child I liked mayonaise on bread - nothing else, just mayo on a slice of bread.

I now love tartar sauce on anything, french fries, hamburgers, potato chips...

I LOVE burnt mozzerella cheese. YUM. And burnt American cheese. And Swiss. Okay I love any cheese burnt black.

I also add spaghetti sauce and peas or corn to my mac and cheese, but I don't think that's all that weird. It tastes good.

1/11/2007 06:06:00 PM  

Blogger M.Amanda said...

Oh, and I'm a firm believer that mashed potatoes are meant to be mixed with other stuff, mostly cream corn.

1/11/2007 06:08:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Sara,
Welcome! :D Peanut butter, bacon and margarine? Oh god.. i think that's as weird as the mayo-banana-onion sandwich! LOL


Nikky,
I like saltines with strawberry yogurt! There's nothing wrong with that--i refuse to say that's weird!


Ladybug,
I like green mangoes, i like cream, but not together. :S


Ollenska,
Don't they make banana cheese ice cream somewhere? Hmm...


Tisty,
You eat cookie dough too??? Oh good lord.. Please please tell me you don't take your M&M's with fried crickets. :S


Sparkling Cipher,
Tartar? Except that thing that invades teeth, didn't know there's a food named tartar. Is this an American thing? Like that Vegemite crap?

Oh, spaghetti sauce with corn is delish! And mash potato with corn too! I love corn really. :D


Love these comments, ladies! Except for Trollop suggesting i killed my bunny, grrr, this is fun. :D

1/11/2007 06:15:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

LOL! Laughing here with some of the foods you gals have mentioned (Trollop and Harlot just scare me.)

I like thousand year old eggs. I love those in congee! I don't think it's weird at all but some people think it's disgusting.

1/11/2007 06:41:00 PM  

Blogger Claudia said...

when I eat fries I like to mix mustard and ketchup...people always think that's gross...iss yum.
BTW...have you ever tried salsa on eggs??? mmm..

1/11/2007 06:59:00 PM  

Blogger Sara Hope said...

oh I also eat salsa on cheese cubes . . . salsa is good on just about anything, but I strongly second salsa on eggs.

1/11/2007 07:27:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I eat mustard and ketchup on fries. Yum...

1/11/2007 07:35:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Cookie dough is yummy! I also eat frozen pizza rolls, still would if they weren't so expensive, LOL.

Oh and Harlot, dear, Trollop's right - it is salsa. ;)

1/11/2007 07:43:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Sarah, I love cheese cubes. I just love cheese.

I'm with you, salsa is good on just about anything :D.

1/11/2007 07:45:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Wouldn't you get salmonella by eating raw pasta?

I eat raw fish and just have to have my occasional sashimi. I eat apples and pears with mayo and cheese. My boyfriend thinks it's gross but I think it's yummy. :P

1/11/2007 08:02:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

My sister eats fish eyes, when the fish is served whole (she's not so strange as to ask for a plate of them :-D ). I do not, but there's the usual chicken feet, ox tail, ox tongue, kidneys, marrow, gristle...

I also love sashimi. And sour cream tends to make everything taste better; I also tend to drown all my food in a sauce, if there is one (or sometimes I just use something else if it tastes good). Ketchup chips are yummy too (too bad I can only get them when I go home - Americans are so unimaginative ;-) ).

I like thousand year old eggs. I love those in congee! I don't think it's weird at all but some people think it's disgusting.

Mmm... Century eggs are great (even by itself). I don't like salty eggs, though; they taste pretty much only like salt to me. Or the egg where there's a chick inside (I can't remember what they're called).

I don't like nearly any type of cooked fruit in savory dishes, though, like pineapples in pizza or sweet and sour dishes. Or carrots of any kind; they smell weird ;-) . Or hotdogs - they taste strange.

1/11/2007 08:22:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Great topic! Most everyone I know thinks it's gross I eat peach marmalade with anchovies. I also eat orange marmalade on Spam. I didn't like marmalade when I was a kid but after living with my British best friend for two years, she got me into it!

1/11/2007 08:30:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

"My sister eats fish eyes, when the fish is served whole (she's not so strange as to ask for a plate of them :-D ). I do not, but there's the usual chicken feet, ox tail, ox tongue, kidneys, marrow, gristle..."

OMG, Dance... fish eyes? Chicken feet? Iiicckkk! LOL (Although kidneys I like.)

1/11/2007 08:33:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Raw pasta?! Please tell me you're joking! The only raw ones I saw are hardened.

That's some teeth you have there tisty. Really. I salude you!

Raw pasta? Is that in line with eating raw eggs?

1/11/2007 08:37:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I think fish eyes are just gross, lol. Century eggs ... well, the smell bothers me but I do eat it. Marmalade, never! :P

1/11/2007 08:41:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I eat chili with mints. It's really yummy. I also like to drink milk while eating some pickles, which makes my husband winch.

I am addicted to ketchup and cannot eat chicken without it. I put it on fries, rice, burgers, eggs, etc. Sometimes I even eat cornflakes with ketchup!

1/11/2007 08:49:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Lollie, chili with mints??

1/11/2007 08:58:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in with the cookie dough eaters. I actually make cookies just so I could eat the dough.

I think Vegemite is disgusting. Sorry, Aussie friends.

1/11/2007 09:05:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Dance, ketchup chips? What are those?

Lorelei, yes it's great! ;)

1/11/2007 09:08:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Dance, ketchup chips? What are those?

A Canadian phenomenon, apparently. I cannot find them south of the 49.

They're potato chips (made by Old Dutch - I haven't seen any other brands that make them) flavoured with ketchup. I guess they're a little acidic and sweet - kind of like salt and vinegar, only sweeter and slightly more tomato than vinegar in flavour.

I also like All Dressed chips (which I think is every flavour, or a lot of flavours anyway, mixed together), but can't find them here either.

OMG, Dance... fish eyes? Chicken feet? Iiicckkk!

Yes, that's what I tell her, too. But this is the same girl who used to dunk all her food in her orange juice. Ew.

1/11/2007 09:25:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Any of you ladies ever tasted a chocolate covered beef jerky? Eww.

1/11/2007 09:26:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ladybug, that's gross!

Cookie dough is delicious. My favorite is oatmeal, sometimes chocolate chips. ;-) My mom always warns me not to eat those and even tells me I'll get sick. Hasn't happened yet, and I've been eating raw cookie dough forever (usually behind my mother's back of course).

~Andy~

1/11/2007 09:33:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I forgot salsa on eggs! Yum!

Dance, those ketchup chips sounds good! I forgot to mention I love ketchup on eggplant too. My kids think I'm crazy... lol

1/11/2007 09:41:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

"Then again, I remember my bunny Taten (the one I fattened to roast last xmas) used to get wiggly and jumpy whenever I gave her raw spaghetti. (Oh, I miss her... *sniff* though gotta say, she was delish! *YUMMY*) This made me think of “weird” things I myself love to eat."

Trollop, LMAO! You and Harlot are both crazy. ^_^

I can't think of anything weird I love to eat, except maybe for grape jelly... Loved the comments here. ;P

1/11/2007 10:00:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

My son loves raw pasta!! Comes in handy when I can't be bothered to cook!! LOL!!

1/12/2007 03:51:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I love century eggs! It's the Chinese part in me. I love it with seaweeds, while taking tea of course. :P

I don't eat chicken feet but they are Chinese dimsums and i frequently eat with people who have those as an appetizer. You know dim sum is Cantonese for "heart's delight." ;) My favorite dimsums: the shrimp ones (it's called "hakao"), shark's fin and taro balls.

The egg with a chick inside you're talking about is called "balut". It's a "delicacy" in Asia especially the Philippines and China. I used to eat those when i was a kid and loved the yolk part but i've never eaten the chick! Just can't make myself do it, but they say it's yummy. :/ I don't eat balut anymore, especially since it gives me allergies. My brother loves it though. LOL

Bull's penis??? :S

1/12/2007 06:29:00 AM  

Blogger M.Amanda said...

I did not realize that tartar sauce was not common in other parts - guess I need to travel more. It is basically mayo mixed with pickle relish with a dash of lemon juice. It's usually eaten with fish, but I will eat it on just about anything.

Claudia - ketchup and mustard - yum, as long as it's mixed well. I do not like mustard so if I get a bit that's more mustard than ketchup, it's all over. And salsa on eggs is good, too.

Another odd thing that I've never tried is crushed potato chips in vanilla ice cream. My boyfriend's sister and her kids rave about it.

Tisty, if you like cookie dough, this might be interesting to you. At Christmas my brother's girlfriend brought Oreo balls - crushed Oreo cookies mixed with cream cheese and covered in chocolate. The regular ones tasted like Oreo cookies, but the vanilla ones covered in white chocolate tasted like cookie dough. They were de-lish.

1/12/2007 09:48:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I don't like ketchup or mayo or mustard. In fact, I don't like sauce in my food.

I used to eat corndog with chocs when I was a kid, lol. I think it's gross whenever I recall that.

The most disgusting thing I've eaten, tuna donut courtesy of my sister. I have no idea why anyone insane would like it but she actually does. Euuw.

1/12/2007 09:56:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Speaking of raw pasta, when I was a kid, my mom said that eating raw pasta would give me worms. lol. No basis whatseover so feel free to keep eating it. ;p

1/12/2007 09:59:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

OMG Vanessa, we must be twins separated at birth!!!!!!! I hate ketchup, mayo and mustard or any type of dressing, weird saucy thingy to dip/pour my food on (that includes those bbq/honey-mustard stuff they give you for fried chicken *YUCKKK*); Except for pasta/meat sauces of course.

Now, as for Vodka, Harlot. You know very well I had to leave her at my aunt's when we moved to an apt. and then she lost her :/ We did not eat her (at least I didn't, not putting my hands on fire for my aunt though!). But ALL your bunnies "mysteriously died" around xmas time, and you kept commenting on how good rabbit is. you do the math! *Hphmmm*

1/12/2007 11:07:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like mayo sandwich, just mayo. I don't think there's something wrong with that but my sister gives me the face when ever I eat it in front of her.

1/12/2007 12:04:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I hate mayo. Like ketchup, and some mustard to a lesser extent.

The egg with a chick inside you're talking about is called "balut".

Oh, right. I remember now. I must have blocked it out *g*.

Have you had kare kare? It's a Filipino dish that I call peanut butter stew - ox tail, eggplant, green beans, bok choy in a peanut sauce. Usually served with rice and bagoong (ba-go-ong), a shrimp paste (and if there's anything else in it, I don't want to know ;-) ).

1/12/2007 12:27:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was hungry before I read this thread. I'm not anymore, thanks ladies ;)

Marie

1/12/2007 01:04:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Marie! :D So you don't eat anything weird? Come on, you can share with us. ;)


Dance, i LUB kare kare! *g* Do you like it too? It's one of my favorite Filipino dishes. There's also this dish called lengua con champignon, it's ox tongue with mushroom sauce (Trollop, shut up!) and i absolutely lurve it. Bok choy? What is that?

I know bagoong alright. Only Filipinos have it. ;) You can't call yourself Pinoy if you haven't eaten bagoong. Though i usually stay away from it since it triggers my allergies (i know.. :S am allergic to certain foods). Bagoong is usually eaten with green mangoes, and it's yummy!

I have to ask, Dance, where have you eaten these stuff???


About my bunnies, Trollop, we both know what happened to them!!! :@ About Vodka, i know you used to have a pair of hairy boots that resembles poor Vodka's fur. Come to think of it, you even called it your cute furry pet! *gasp* And then you were trying to replace it with those uggu boots that resemble my rabbits, you morbid heathen!!!

1/12/2007 01:21:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

I have to say ladies, some of the foods you've mentioned are way too weird for me. LOL

I don't like mustard on my sandwiches, hotdogs, etc, but I eat it with pretzels ;)

1/12/2007 01:40:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all. I'm a lurker and this is my first time commenting here. I just couldn't resist. :)

One of my best mates is Filipino and he made me ate balut. I still haven't forgiven him for that. My 9 yr old daughter likes cottage cheese with fresh mint and chocolate. I used to tell her there's something wrong with that combination but she seems to really like it so ... what the heck ... lol

Heidi

1/12/2007 01:47:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I have to ask, Dance, where have you eaten these stuff???

I grew up (well, til I was 5) in the Philippines. And go back every so often as the extended family lives there.

Bok choy - since I don't know how to describe it or know another name for it, a picture will have to do (hopefully the link works). Love the stuff. And kare kare, too. And bagoong, though that was a more recently acquired taste. Still don't like it on my green mangoes, however. Also like kang kong (chinese spinach or water spinach, I think are other names for it). And atis - although the maggots I found in one a while back has put me off them. I also like ox tongue (and tail) - I wonder if the other parts are used for food, too.

Recently - over Christmas - ate a sea centipede (never even knew they existed), courtesy of my grandparents who were treating us for dinner. Taste and texture was pretty much like lobster.

1/12/2007 02:24:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Heidi, what horrible friend you have! I hope in return you tricked him into eating some nasty delicacy or something (i suggest "isau" :P). Welcome and i hope you post often.


Dance, i didn't know you grew up in the Phils. That makes sense then. :)

Isn't that pechay? Well many of these leafy veggies look the same. I don't eat kangkong (because most of them are found in nasty places, ack) but i like water crest (tastes the same as kangkong really).

Atis (sweetsop), definitely yummy. Thank god haven't opened one with maggots in it, oh god, since i really hare worms and bugs. :S

Since you like ox tail, there's this Filipino dish called "bulalo" and it's mainly ox tail with some veggies and corn and it's delicious.

Sea centipede or "tatampal" is absolutely yummy and you're right!--it tastes like lobster! I'm not big on eating red meat but sea foods, ah.. I usually have shrimp like 3 times a week (not exaggerating LOL), not because we're uber rich or something. It's just what we do. Well, my dad is like a fisherman, something like that. :) I'm lucky really since fresh sea foods are really expensive here and i'm totally addicted to most of them. I even eat crab even if i'm allergic to it too LOL.

1/12/2007 03:25:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Sea centipede? I didn't know there's such a thing or that a type of centipede is palatable or that it will tastes, not like chicken but like lobster. Wow...

I think foods/delicacies are part of every culture. There are some that will shock you or even disgust you (pig stomach, brain, vegemite, chicken feet, balut, etc) and there are those that seem completely normal for you but are totally disgusting for others. I think it will be fun to experiment and taste some of them but I'll never eat a bull's penis! LOL!

1/12/2007 04:13:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

You gals eat the weirdest things, LOL. But I'm with Polly on this. I don't think I could eat some live slug though or a raw pizzle.

Sparkling cipher, vanilla ice cream with crushed potato chips: delicious! Conflakes are good too and coco pops. ;)

1/12/2007 10:39:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Oh and I sometimes cut small pieces of french fries to mix with vanilla ice cream. I don't think it's weird though but there you go. LOL.

1/12/2007 10:45:00 PM  

Blogger lisa said...

Hi ladies, oh the things we do talk about. I won't frighten you with minutae of my personal eat habits, suffice it to say that it easily surpasses the following NYC CRUNCH GYM ad member Profile.(yes, we bw gals read EVERYTHING)

"I work out at Crunch because part of my job is to capture stray dogs and cats, which requires that I be light on my feet." Crunch Member #2871. Profession: Cook. Chinese Take-Out.

1/13/2007 05:17:00 AM  

Blogger Jo said...

i eat peanut butter and banana sandwhiches. not way odd but not normal. I once ate pickles with chocolate chip ice cream and it was tasty... (no i was not pregnant) Oh and i still eat raw pasta.... and cookie dough.... and anything else that i feel like eating.... i eat without thought to my stomach's health! thats what hospitals worry about.... thats what i pay the big bucks for.... hahahahahha

1/13/2007 06:21:00 AM  

Blogger Jo said...

allow me to add liver pate... i didn't know it but it was pretty tasty. My uncle eats deer hearts (my family hunts) and most people in my family will fight over turkey gizzards.

1/13/2007 06:24:00 AM  

Blogger Catherine said...

Why does everyone think vegemite is such a disgusting food? It is made of vegetable and yeast extracts. It's delicious and healthy. Now if everyone were complaining about the revoltingness of Bovril, I could understand . . .

I like to eat kimchi, another food that is so healthy and yet so full of flavour.

1/13/2007 09:23:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot and Dance, wow! you guys bring back epicurean memories. I remember my father coming home from Manila and bringing home balut with a tiny little cone of salt. I love Kare-kare..my brother makes it the best and I will only eat my sister-inlaw's lengua. There's also dinuguan--it's a thick stew made with pig's blood and innards usually eaten with rice bread (puto). Oh man..bagoong! sometimes i'd have just rice and tomatoes and salted eggs with bagoong. it's good with green mangoes, too. oh yeah, bananas in soy sauce; don't know how i ever ate it that way because i can't stand it now. The weirdest thing I've eaten were pickled beetle grubs (kamaro??) my brothers would collect them and they'd cook them in banana leaves with vinegar then fry them. yuk!

rod's girl

1/14/2007 06:03:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I haven't eaten dinuguan (to my knowledge, anyway) - it looks a little too murky, for me (that, and knowing what's in it). I love palabok (soft noodles with a great sauce), sinigang (sp? - the very sour soup) and bulalo. And, for dessert or breakfast :-D, turon (fried bananas and jackfruit inside a springroll-type wrapper). Now, I'm getting hungry...

Kimchi is yummy, too, although I don't like it if it's too spicy.

Peanut butter and banana is great (or PB and nutella or honey). How else do you keep the PB from sticking to the roof of your mouth?

1/14/2007 07:30:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Rod's girl and Dance,
I have no idea what kamaro and kimchi are LOL. I eat bagoong even if i have problems with it. I've never eaten dinuguan, but i love turon and puto. :D Palabok too! Oh man!

Dance, peanut butter is great with Nutella. ;) I don't care if it sticks to the roof of my mouth (have no idea how to prevent this LOL), and i want crunchy!

1/15/2007 01:39:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't eat weird food but I eat in a weird manner. I only eat one item at a time. I have to finish one item and move to the next, usually eating veggie, carb then meat, as it turns out, because I eat in order of less to most tasty.

Is spiral ham and cubed potatoes fried with Frank's Red Hot considered gross or weird? Basically, pizza, potatoes and pork get slathered in Red Hot before I eat it. HAS to be Red Hot not Tabasco (gross).

1/15/2007 10:48:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I was the anonymous from above but didn't realize I did it as anon.

1/17/2007 10:16:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i eat raw cookie dough all the time, i heard that it gives you worms and after going to medical school that freaks me out, so i need some answers will it give you worms? ive ate it all my life and no problems yet, but my friend brought it up last night so now it had me thinking....

1/19/2007 04:13:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

My mom (she's a doctor) always tells me eating raw foods will give you bacterial infection. This is true, (one of the reasons we cook food in the first place is to kill the bacteria) but that never stopped me from eating cookie dough! lol! I've eaten tons of cookie dough for years, nothing happened to me yet. I've heard about the worms too, but that has no basis at all.

1/19/2007 05:48:00 PM