Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Suzanne: A romantic comedy by Michael Betcherman

Last year I had the pleasure of reading The Daughters of Freya, an Email Mystery by Michael Betcherman. Now, Michael has written Suzanne, a romantic comedy that is getting rave reviews on the web.

His novels are not only unique in plot and character development, but what really sets them apart is that they’re told through a series of emails exchanged among the characters.


Instead of reading these emails in a book, they will be sent to your inbox as part of your regular email as if the characters have copied you on the emails they are sending to each other. You will receive a few emails a day over the three weeks it takes for the story to unfold. Suzanne also includes links to additional content such as newspaper and magazine articles and photographs that are part of the story.

The number of emails sent each day varies. You will receive 3 or 4 emails a day as the story unfolds in real time. Unlike a book where you can turn a page to find out what happens next, you have to wait for the next email to arrive. That’s what makes this a unique reading experience. Of course once you’ve been sent all the emails, you’ll be able to read the entire mystery whenever you want.


Michael has gracefully agreed to raffle a copy of Suzanne to one of our lovely readers. Just comment on this post and your name will be automatically entered in the contest. If you want to review Suzanne for TBB as a guest bitch, we’d love to post it for you. *g*

Here’s a synopsis for Suzanne and you can read the first three emails for free here. Enjoy. *g*


Suzanne Braun had it all—the big house, the luxury car, the expensive vacations. Then her husband died, but not before making a series of reckless investments that depleted his fortune.

When a promising relationship with a well-heeled and aging suitor ends badly, the beautiful widow finds herself a social pariah, universally regarded as an unscrupulous golddigger. Her prospects look bleak when her late husband’s brother, Douglas, invites her to spend the summer at the family cottage on Lake Joseph, a playground for Toronto’s rich—and very rich.

Suzanne heads north with one goal in mind: to return home with a wealthy fiancé in tow.

Douglas’ wife Catherine dreads her arrival. The two women have loathed each other for years and Catherine fears that Suzanne will set her sights on her brother Mark, a wealthy businessman who is returning to Canada after 14 years in Japan. She will do anything to keep her arch-enemy from entering the family circle.

An irresistible force is about to meet an immovable object.


Related:

Labels:


16 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do we have to say anything special?

.....


There is my post =D

11/06/2007 05:12:00 PM  

Blogger Carrie said...

*hand in air* I would love to try this!

Carrie

11/06/2007 07:15:00 PM  

Blogger Carrie said...

P.S. When do we find out? If (when) I don't win I'm going to buy it. :)

11/06/2007 08:23:00 PM  

Blogger Mallie said...

That sounds ridiculously original, its a great idea!

11/06/2007 09:08:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, that's a cool way to read a book (or emails...)

11/07/2007 01:30:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

This sounds wonderful. Count me in. :D

11/07/2007 01:49:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Trollop will post Michael's guest blog tomorrow. We'll announce the winner this weekend, i think? Er, depends on Trollop really, she's lazy. Ok, let's just say before or on Sunday LOL.

11/07/2007 02:13:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Great idea!

I'd like to try it as well :)

11/07/2007 06:56:00 AM  

Blogger Lola Lovegood said...

I've already won a raffle here. I know its terribly selfish of me to enter this one too but these books sound very interesting. And (just as an incentive!) I offer to do the guest review.

Crossing my fingers.

11/07/2007 08:59:00 AM  

Blogger M.Amanda said...

What a cool idea! Meg Cabot wrote a couple books where the whole story is told through emails, text messages, and journal entries for various characters. I thought I'd hate it, but it was pretty neat.

I think this sounds even cooler. Please add my name to the hat.

11/07/2007 10:03:00 AM  

Blogger Shosh said...

How do I win? Do I say something really profound like the time my newborn kitty died because I slept on top of it?

This time, I am really talking about a real cat's baby.

11/07/2007 12:25:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds so cool! Count me in.
.....and I'm really sorry for your cat, Midas.

11/07/2007 01:31:00 PM  

Blogger Tara Dean said...

I love those kind of books! I've read a few that had similar formats and it really adds something to the book and takes a different spin on things. Jaclyn Moriarty has a semi book series (I say semi because each book is about someone different, but it invovles the same people fromt he other books) where everything is done through letters, notes and in the more recent books email.

I am very intrigued and will have to check it out once I am done school for the year and can actually have time to make money to buy things again :P

11/07/2007 01:56:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

Me too! Me too! Count me in, too!

11/07/2007 03:07:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard somewhere that authors used to mail books by chapters to subscribers? I guess this was done a long long time ago.

This is a neat idea.

11/07/2007 03:44:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to add my name to the hat too!

11/08/2007 05:32:00 PM