Friday, November 2, 2007

Holidays and awards season movies

Movies, like years, have seasons. Usually the big budgeted ones are released during summer, probably to take advantage of drunks who’d appreciate even the most horrible flicks. After that comes the drought season: full of crappy flicks you’d forget as soon as you leave the theater—or those that’d simply make you mind-numbingly stupid by just watching it.

Thankfully—OHJOYOHJOYOHJOY!—awards season is on its roll already!!! (Just because they’re not “talking” about awards yet doesn’t mean the studios aren’t pushing movies under your nose. Sneaky bastards. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Things We Lost in the Fire, In the Valley of Elah, Lions for Lambs, Gone Baby Gone...) I love awards season. Mostly because I get to laugh at some of the movies that try to be good when they actually have no soul. MWAHAHAHA! *choke* Er, what I mean is, even with all the red carpet crap, I’d still trade the depressing award-nominated to those unnominated films I’d enjoy watching.

Now, here are some upcoming holiday movies I’m looking forward to:

American Gangster (11/02). Ridley Scott, who looks like he’s back on top of his form; Denzel Washington, an incredible actor; coupled that with the raw and very talented Russell Crowe... what more can I ask for?




Beowulf (11/16). It’s no secret that I have a crush on Angelina Jolie. In fact, I feel comfortable in my femininity (lacking as it is) to say that if I stand next to Ange for more than 30 seconds, I’d spontaneously grow a penis. So yep, going to see this one where—ohhh, my good lads—we’re going to see her nekkid, heh. ;)




I Am Legend (12/14). Have yet to read the 1954 horror novel by Richard Matheson but I think the movie looks verra verra interesting.




Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (12/21). Tim Burton is fucking BRILLIANT. His movies are quirky, creative, funny, dazzlingly strange and magnificently gothic. I particularly love it when he and Johnny Depp work together.




P.S. I Love You (12/21). Even if Hollywood cock it up and butcher Cecelia Ahern’s book, I’d still watch it. Hello... did you not see the uber yummy Gerard Butler?




What about you; any movies you can’t wait to see?

Labels: ,


17 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Johnny Depp movie looks good. I like his movies with Tim Burton. They make crazy and entertaining movies.

11/02/2007 12:56:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

That american gangster looks really good.

I hate that angelina accent in bewulf or whatever; it sounds so fake. Where is she supposed to be from anyway?

I hate those movies say set in russia/germany and people speak english, but they speak english with russian/german accents.

look, give me a fucking break,
just use your real american accent! or are you saying EVERYONE in rusia/germany speaks english and speaks it like that? Honestly...

I love that guy that plays snape
he is the perfect secondary character I think.

Helena bonam carter always looks the same. I wonder if she brings her own wardroves to movies (and hair stylist) lol

And I of course, love johnny. I didn't know he could sing too.

Really looking forward to the holidays now!!!!!

11/02/2007 01:52:00 PM  

Blogger Lola Lovegood said...

BB's I don't know if I can forgive you for not including Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I've been looking forward to this movie since forever.

Thanksgiving can't come soon enough!

11/02/2007 01:59:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

I cannot believe you didn't add Charlie Wilson's War.

Seymore, Hanks and Roberts! That is going to be THE movie of the season.

Go on, add it to your post...

11/02/2007 03:51:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

Can't wait for P.S. I Love you either!

Also The Golden Compass -- I've had the trilogy for ages, the trailer looks good.

11/02/2007 09:33:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forrest Whitacker is in the upcoming adaptation of Maurice Sendac's Where the Wild Things are in 2008. I can't wait for that one!

11/02/2007 10:09:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Johnny is singing?

I Am Legend looks good. I like this kind of movies and I like Will Smith.

By the way, Assassination of Jesse James sucks! I thought how bad could it be? Even if the movie's bad, I'd still get to see Brad. What a waste.

11/03/2007 02:24:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Legend was probably one of the best books I've read. When I heard there was a film being released, of course I was pretty pleased... but Will Smith? Don't get me wrong... I actually really like Will Smith - he's a good actor in my opinion, but if the director simply read the book he would find that he has no resemblance at all to the guy in the book!

Anyway, I hope they don't ruin a great story.

11/03/2007 02:27:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Johnny is singing?

Am i the only one who saw Cry Baby? LOL It's a 90s movie musical, sorta like a parody and yep, Johnny's singing there.

11/03/2007 02:39:00 AM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I didn't like the Dark Materials trilogy but I will go see The Golden Compass.

Beowulf: It looked amazing. At first I didn't even realize I was watching CG but then you realize it is CG. And then you think, why even bother doing it CG?

11/03/2007 02:56:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Sweeney Todd is an adaptation of Sondheim's musical. Alan Rickman plays the part of Judge Turpin and he has a duet with Johnny Depp in the movie.

Johnny Depp does his own singing because Tim Burton insisted it :)

11/03/2007 08:21:00 AM  

Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

excellent heads-up on the movies coming out! I hadn't heard of Sweeney Todd coming out - probably won't make it out here in Italy, but we'll see.

I am Legend also looks interesting. PS I love you - I've always resisted reading the book because I'm not big on the dead-spouse-letter thing, but there are some good actors in there, so it might be good!

11/03/2007 12:03:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I hadn't heard of this Johnny Depp movie! It looks good. So is Will Smith's movie.

Did anyone see Bee Movie? It's getting a lot of bad reviews.

What about Patrick Dempsey's movie Enchanted? I'd love to see that one as well.

11/03/2007 05:32:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

Thanks for the heads-up, good list! I love holiday movies too. I haven't been seeing a lot of movies lately but I saw the trailer of Vince Vaughn's movie the other day - Fred Claus. It looks funny. It says it's from the creator of Wedding Crashers. Vince plays Santa's brother who has lived for centuries in Santa's shadow. Paul Giamatti plays Santa. LOL

11/04/2007 02:12:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I want to see The Kite Runner. The trailer looks and with all the controversy regarding the movie, I just have to see it. I hope it won't disappoint.

11/04/2007 04:00:00 AM  

Blogger Shosh said...

I hope they do not ruin it like they did with Memoirs of a Geisha.

11/04/2007 07:13:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Amen to that Midas. Kite Runner is a beautiful book, so is Memoirs. Why must Hollywood fuck up good books?

Oh and Jack Nicholson has a new movie as well - The Bucket List. I love Jack. He and Morgan Freeman play cancer patients who form an unlikely friendship and set out to do all things they wish they'd done with their lives. Sounds good to me!

11/06/2007 04:33:00 AM