Sunday, September 30, 2007

BBC: Anne of Green Gables

It was delightful visiting Anne again; her mischiefs, her daydreams, her big words, Gilbert Blythe, *sigh* and the quirky characters that inhabit her world. No matter how many times I read this book, or how old I get I still love it like it was the first time.

I hope all of you will join us in this discussion.
  • How do Marilla’s sensibilities change—or not change—over the course of the book? How do Anne’s conceptions of the future evolve throughout the novel?
  • What role does fashion play in Anne of Green Gables? In what ways does fashion and characters’ differing attitudes toward fashion reveal differences and similarities between various characters?
  • What do you think makes Anne such an enduring character of world fiction?
  • One criticism of Anne of Green Gables is that, although Montgomery claims that Anne has a number of flaws, her faults are minor ones, such as daydreaming and talking too much. Is Anne a believable character to you?

Labels: ,


4 comment(s):

Blogger Shosh said...

I haven't finished reading this book...I like Marilla's character, what I read of it so far. I hope to get into the book more so I can say something worth reading.

9/30/2007 10:27:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LM Montgomery is a wonderful author who have a true sense of capturing the growth of a child into a women. You truly find many friends and kindred spirits among her tales.
I know I have found a true sense of beauty and romance in this series.

Who doesn't love Anne? She is bright, talkative, cheerful with such a great imagination. She takes much joy in life and adapts quickly, thriving in any environment she is in. At first Marilla dislikes Anne because she always speaks her mind and makes some mistakes. Anne isn't very happy with herself either. She isn't very pretty and feels unloved, but both Marilla and Anne grow out of these feelings and start to think the other as family.

Usually in children's books, characters are two dimensional. But Anne is different. It's easy to relate to her with the way she feels towards her surroundings and her habit of looking at the romantic aspects of life.

10/01/2007 09:57:00 AM  

Blogger Missy said...

The Anne books are some of my absolute favourites and have been for years.

Unfortunately, they are all at home, while I am not, so I haven't read it recently :(

I think the impact that Anne has on everyone is obvious, but the change the Marilla undergoes through the whole series is very subtle and well done.

I think Anne is a great character because she isn't the perfect good little girl, but still manages to have fun while being good - most of the time! She has something in her that would appeal to almost every girl I think.

And Gil! One of my fav heroes ever!

Damn, need to go to the library! Great choice of books, this one.

10/02/2007 07:17:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My all time favourite from childhood. I loved Anne's humour and that is what wins both Matthew and Marilla over in the end. Marilla is given a new perspective on life through Anne's eyes. It was impossible to stay mad at her and she presented a unique challenge to Marilla to bring her up well, without letting her lose her best character traits. Rachel Lynd as the "voice of doom" regarding bringing up an orphan, and as Marilla's friend,made her even more determined to proove folk wrong.

10/04/2007 03:46:00 AM