Saturday, September 29, 2007

And I had such high hopes *sniff*

Bram Stoker, Anne Rice and Joss Whedon be damned. Moonlight is a vampire saga determined to play by its own rules.

Right from the start of tonight’s pilot episode, prime time’s newest blood-sucker, Mick St. John (Alex O’Loughlin), dismisses most of the genre conventions that have been handed down through the ages. Garlic? It doesn’t repel him. Holy water, crucifixes and wooden stakes? Not so scary. Instead of a casket, our undead dude sleeps in a freezer.

This offbeat approach might give you the false impression that you’ve tuned into a sassy supernatural thriller bursting with creative ingenuity. Unfortunately, Moonlight soon loses its playful oomph and unravels into something that is inert, boring and, at times, almost painful to watch.

Perhaps that shouldn’t come as a shock. Moonlight has been a troubled production since it was picked up by CBS. The pilot underwent extensive rewriting and most of the original cast was given the boot. Along the way, executive producer David Greenwalt (Angel) bolted.

In some ways Moonlight is an adventurous show for CBS, a network known for playing it safe. On the other hand, it’s really just a crime procedural with fangs—a crime procedural that can’t even muster an intriguing case out of the gate. Don’t blame O’Loughlin. An Aussie import, he floats through the show with a relaxed charm and unassuming demeanor. He’s engaging enough, but the shallow script never brings his character fully to life.

Another problem: He shares no real chemistry with Myles, who comes across as wooden as the stakes that fail to faze Mick. Of course, she’s also hampered by the kind of starchy dialogue that will have you yearning for the witty wordplay of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.




Related:

Labels: , ,


13 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks rather interesting. i guess i'll have to check into it some more.

9/29/2007 05:51:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds downright silly and boring! It probably won't survive the ratings game.

9/29/2007 06:39:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it me, or is the main guy just not hot enough to be a Vamp? He didn't seem tortured enough by what he is. I wanted someone downright gorgeous, but also kind of repulsed by himself. Like Edward in Twilight. Of course, I only watched the preview for this show, but it's not enough to make me tune in. I miss Buffy.

Cheers,
ms

9/29/2007 07:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny - right after reading this post, I went downstairs to chill in front of the tube for a bit. Flipping through channels I found that Moonlight was on. Out of boredom (more than interest), I watched it. The girl in the preview you posted here, was NOT the same as in the pilot I just watched!

The girl in the preview you've got here was on The OC as Lindsay for one season (or part of one season). The girl in the pilot was blonder - she reminded me of the girl who played Kate (police detective) in the first season of Angel.

Anyway....just FYI. I didn't find the main guy hot enough after watching the full episode.

Cheers,
ms

9/29/2007 08:16:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Boring vampires? Damn.

We want Buffy! We want Buffy! We want Buffy!

9/29/2007 08:33:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

I miss Buffy a lot! Nothing else can compare. *sigh*

9/30/2007 02:55:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

oh lol MS, I just checked out CBS's site and the blond is in fact someone else. Wonder if its only for the pilot? Also they have more or less this same exact trailer with the new blond! This is odd LOL

I get that they changed the cast a couple of times, but why have a season trailer with the old blond instead of the new one?

9/30/2007 05:35:00 AM  

Blogger Emjai Colbert said...

I thought it way too closely resembled Forever Knight another late night CBS vampire show from the mid 90's that I loved. I'll give it one more chance though before I go back to Las Vegas.

9/30/2007 10:39:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Most of the people I know thought it sucked. Maybe they compared it to much to Angel...

10/01/2007 10:42:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

They are calling it the Angel rip-off. I gave it a chance and watched the first episode and I thought it felt like a cross between Angel and Forever Night. It wasn't so bad but it was nothing special.

10/01/2007 11:01:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I think the main character is cute. :P But based from the reviews, probably just another show to go into cancellation soon.

10/01/2007 11:42:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Hmmm... Well at least it has a good looking lead. Ugly vampire and stupid plot - that is just plain disaster.

10/01/2007 12:14:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet this is better than Bionic Woman. I can't believe I watched that stupid show!

Olly

10/01/2007 09:55:00 PM