Wednesday, September 26, 2007

More books into movies: Where the hell have I been, I've only read one of them?!?

I have a real post, I swear! Wrote it yesterday but it needs pics and a video and I haven’t had time to upload them, though did manage to type it in which is a pretty big feat for my lazy ass LOL.

I found this article in Google:


We’ve come to accept the following as fact—if we enjoy a book, sooner or later, Hollywood will ruin it for us. Not even chick lit is safe anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I will be there on opening night for The Jane Austen Book Club, even though that inner librarian impulse is puckering her lips and telling me to reject adaptations outright always. And we’ll suck it up when we recommend the read to a friend and she says, “Oh, I saw that one! It was great.”

However, lately, we’ve been pleasantly surprised by adaptations like The Devil Wears Prada and the most recent Harry Potter film, which, rather than raping the material and leaving it for dead, actually did it justice, and were good films in the same go. So, maybe Hollywood is shaping up, maybe Jane Austen will smile down on Friday’s theatrical release instead of completing the roll into the next grave that started when Mansfield Park opened.

Regardless, if you want to picture your own characters before their faces become replaced by Evan Rachel Wood and Zac Effron, you’d better get on the following titles, because they’ve been optioned:

The Historian - That’s that giant, beige book you saw on display racks in Barnes and Noble all last summer with the photo of an eye on it. This one is about Dracula/Vlad the Impaler. I honestly have no idea how they’re going to adapt it, since the entire thing is told from letters within letters, etc., but it could be fun. Real life vampire lore is always fun, right?

My Sister’s Keeper - Jodi Picoult’s godzilla of a best seller, about a girl born for the purpose of being a donor to her cancer-inflicted older sister, and the legal battle she pursues to say no to giving up her organs. This one could go a little lifetime-y if they’re not careful. If done right, there won’t be a dry eye in the house—trust me (I read the book).

A Great and Terrible Beauty - this one is a favorite of mine, the first in a young adult trilogy about Victorian-era schoolgirls who mess around with magic. Before the Harry-Femme comparisons start coming in, let me be the first to say, AGATB is a breed of it’s own. No news on casting yet, but considering the girls are all about 16, newcomers may be on the menu. Check out the author’s website (http://libbabray.com) for updates, and prepare yourself for some Victorian flavored girlpower.


I personally happen to love books turned into movies. Yes, most end up being really bad adaptations, and no movie has ever come close to be as good as a book I loved (except The Godfather), but I still like to see them on the big screen and check how close my imagination got to what the author really wanted to portray. You know, physical characteristics, scenery, tones of voice, facial expressions, settings and so on. Out of this list I’ve only read The Historian and I’m really curious to see how much of the great scenery and historical sites they end up showing in the movie. Wonder if they’ll have a Bela Lugosi-type dude playing Count Dracula; it should be fun to watch.

Now, here’s a first look at P.S. I Love You, an adaptation of Cecelia Ahern’s novel starring Hilary Swank and the very yummy Gerard Butler:




Labels: , , ,


24 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bother. All three are on my "to read" list. Actually, the Historian is sitting on my bookshelf, waiting for a spare moment not spent re-reading HP7 or Eclipse.

Started A Great and Terrible Beauty and hated it after 3 chapters, can anyone tell me if it improved after that? I know I'm being lazy but I've heard both sides of the story - some people say YAY, others say "meh, its just a decent story". And I don't know who to listen to..

Can't wait to read My Sister's Keeper in a few weeks though. I've only heard good things about it.

9/26/2007 06:21:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

I really liked A Great and Terrible Beauty....well worth reading! Not sure about My Sister's Keeper because I would cry the whole way through I am sure!!!

I did see a trailer for The Kite Runner the other day and that looked really good!

9/26/2007 06:54:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I read A Great & Terrible Beauty par Harlot's recommendation and I really liked it. I liked My Sister's Keeper as well, though I don't think people who are not into emotional books would like it.

I don't know why but I couldn't finish The Historian. I picked it up because it was very popular and I thought I'd like it but somehow it ended up boring me.

9/26/2007 08:37:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh, thank you thank you! I loved PS I Love You. I can't wait to see this movie it looks great!

9/26/2007 10:33:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I don't like Hilary but Gerard Butler is incredibly hot. I think I'll see Jane Austen Book Club, though I have yet to read the book. The Historian, well I think it is one of those books that are perfect to be adopted into a movie.

9/26/2007 10:42:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I don't think I could watch the Sister's Keeper. I like book that makes me cry but I'm not particularly fond of dramas in movies.

I'm looking forward to The Other Boleyn Girl. Eric Bana, yum. Though, I have no idea when is it going to be released.

9/26/2007 03:31:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot and Trollop said...

OMG I want to see that movie NOW! It looks great. Dunno if I want to ruin the movie with the book mmmm... thought of buying and reading it first but dunno.... I heard its pretty sad. No like sad :(

9/26/2007 05:11:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.. Havent read most of those books except my Sisters Keeper. I loved that book with a passion! It was awesome. I dont know if it would be any good in a movie. What made it good for me was the way she wrote it. But *shrug* cant do anything about it..

9/26/2007 05:27:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! And from what I hear - The Twilight Movie is coming! Okay sure we wont have it until 2010, but surely thats long enough to wait for us to see how badly they butcher Bella and Edward when casting.

And okay, I'll retry A Great and Terrible Beauty. But if I hate it....

9/27/2007 03:33:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Yowza. Gerard Butler, hooooooooottttt!!!!

I haven't read any of those books. I have The Historian and GTB waiting to be read, though.

9/27/2007 07:26:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Mallie, I have read there were talks but I didn't know the movie is on its way already. Who is playing Edward and Bella?

9/27/2007 07:29:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Has anyone read the Jane Austen Book Club? Is it good? A friend HATED it but she's a Jane Austen fanatic.

PS I Love You looks great!

9/27/2007 09:21:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have A Great and Terrible Beauty but I have yet to read it. Must be time for me to pick it up.

Olly

9/27/2007 09:59:00 AM  

Blogger Shosh said...

I am listening to Eragon now so I can watch the movie. It's actually a fun book...written by a 15 year old...can you imagine?

It's like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings together. Have anyone read this?

9/27/2007 10:25:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Midas, I really liked Eragon. The second book - Eldest - is not as good, though. Paolini is currently writing the third book and it seems that he is going to title it Empire. I don't think this series should continue after that to be honest. The third book should wrap it up up and be done with the story.

Olly

9/27/2007 10:47:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

That PS I love you trailer looks really good. My Sister's Keeper is a good book but I have doubts about the movie version.

The last book-into-movie I saw was The Nanny Diaries and gawwd did it suck or what?

9/27/2007 11:21:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I luuuuve Gerard Butler! I thought, why does Hilary keeps calling him Gerry? Do'h, Gerry Kennedy.

Loved The Historian albeit a little disappointing. People made such a roar about it when it was released but I thought it was not as good as they said it would be.

9/27/2007 06:44:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vanessa! I didn't like The Nanny Diaries either. It was bland, trying to be funny when it's not. The book is much better than the movie. I liked Laura Linney as Mrs X, though.

Olly

9/27/2007 06:50:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Oh Gerry Gerry Gerry (Butler and Kennedy)....loved the book and with Gerry Butler, chances are I will love the movie too.

9/27/2007 07:57:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Mallie, Great and Terrible Beauty has a slow start. Just stick with it, it gets better.... That series is my favorite YA series, after Twilight of course.... :-)

9/27/2007 08:00:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

Oh my, was that darling Denny Duquette??

I have not read PS I Love You but tell me this, does it have a happy ending?

9/27/2007 10:04:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lily Moon - I will do as you say, if it truly is your fave YA after Twilight (clearly, Twilight is my favourite YA series)

Isabella - There are talks, they haven't cast anyone yet, but they've decided on filming locations etc. Theres a rumour that Emily Browning is up for the role of Bella - if they sign her, I will be beyond happy. No talk of Edward yet. *sighs* but we're still not getting it til 2010.

9/27/2007 11:19:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Mallie, it is. Nothing can replace Twilight (even if I did not particularly like....ok ok I hated Eclipse) but Libba Bray is wonderful. I love YA! Scott Westerfield is another favorite of mine but I still rank Bray's series higher than his "Uglies". Oh, Theresa Tomlinson is up there, too.

^_^

9/27/2007 11:38:00 PM  

Blogger Menchie said...

I didn't like the book too much. It was sad but i didn't think it was written too well. it read like a sweet dreams novel.

but can't wait for the movie since gerard is there.

How come Time Traveler's Wife wasn't mentioned?

9/30/2007 03:07:00 AM