Friday, May 11, 2007

Becoming Jane

Blimey, how come I didn’t know about this movie? I just found out about Becoming Jane from Aggie—who, BTW, is trying to cheat on our HP BBC, that shameless hussy! LOL While we’re on the subject, you folks reading HP1? Dance? Luci? Tami? Discussion starts tomorrow! *g* Anyhoodles, here’s the trailer:




I have to say, Jane Austen was truly a literary rockstar, no question. At least seven adaptations have been made from her six novels in just twelve years, but Becoming Jane is the first film to address the author’s own life. Still, that can’t be compared to the influence she had in the written world. Countless authors have written books that were inspired by her life, works and her beloved characters. Just take a look at this list:

Emma (1816)
  • Amanda by Debra White Smith
  • Anna Weston by Brenda Finn
  • Aunt Celia by Jane Gillespie
  • Emma in Love by Emma Tennant
  • Jane Fairfax by Joan Aiken
  • Journal of Miss Jane Fairfax by Charlotte Grey
  • Later Days at Highbury by Joan Austen-Leigh
  • Mr. Knightley’s Diary by Amanda Grange
  • Perfect Happiness by Rachel Billington
  • Truth and Rumour by Jane Gillespie
Mansfield Park (1814)
  • Central Park by Debra White Smith
  • Ladysmead by Jane Gillespie
  • Mansfield Letters by Paula Atchia
  • Mansfield Revisited by Joan Aiken
  • Miss Abigail’s Part (Or, Version and Diversion) by Judith Terry
  • Mrs. Rushworth by Victor Gordon
  • The Reluctant Baronet by Jane Gillespie
Northanger Abbey (1818)
  • North by Northanger by Carrie A. Bebris
  • Northpointe Chalet by Debra White Smith
  • Uninvited Guests by Jane Gillespie

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Pride and Prejudice (1813)
  • An Assembly Such As This by Pamela Aidan
  • An Unequal Marriage by Emma Tennant
  • Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding
  • Darcy and Elizabeth by Frances Morgan
  • Darcy’s Story by Janet Aylmer
  • Desire and Duty by Ted Bader
  • Excessively Diverted by Juliette Shapiro
  • Jane Austen in Boca by Paula Marantz Cohen
  • Lady Catherine’s Necklace by Joan Aiken
  • Letters from Pemberley: The First Year by Jane Dawkins
  • Lions and Liquorice by Kate Fenton
  • Mr. Darcy’s Daughters by Elizabeth Aston
  • Mrs Fitzwilliam Darcy and Other Stories by Anne Fafoutakis
  • Old Friends and New Fancies by Sybil G. Brinton
  • Pemberley Place by Anne Hampson
  • Pemberley Shades by D.A. Bonavia-Hunt
  • Presumption by Julia Barrett
  • Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field by Melissa Nathan
  • The Bar Sinister: Pride and Prejudice Continues... by Linda Berdoll
  • The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy by Mary Street
  • Wedding at Pemberley by Anne Russell
Persuasion (1818)
  • Captain Wentworth’s Diary by Amanda Grange
  • None But You by Susan Kaye
  • Persuading Annie by Melissa Nathan
  • Possibilities by Debra White Smith
  • Such a Girl by Karen V. Siplin
Sense and Sensibility (1811)
  • Brightsea by Jane Gillespie
  • Elinor and Marianne by Emma Tennant
  • Eliza’s Daughter by Joan Aiken
  • Reason and Romance by Debra White Smith
  • Suspense and Sensibility by Carrie A. Bebris
  • The Third Sister by Julia Barrett
Told ya, rockstar. Uh-mm. So what can you say about the adaptations? What about the books? (Feel free to add more. ;P) What do you think is the best sequel/prequel/remake? What are total hogwash it should be taken outback and shot repeated then poke with a ten foot pole?


Related:

Labels: , ,


20 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot and Trollop said...

Oh this looks great! Though, worried it might not have a happy ending. Mmmm... Still a must see *g*

Trollop

5/11/2007 08:19:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I think it does have a happy ending. I really want to see this movie. I was looking into our cinemas online sites when are they going to show it here, but nothing. :( I remember waiting for FIVE FUCKING MONTHS for P&P (Keira's). Bastards. *sniff*

Oh, btw, babe, STOP using our "Harlot and Trollop" account when you're commenting! Jeez..

5/11/2007 08:48:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see this. Anne Hathaway could do really well in this role.

5/11/2007 08:54:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

No one should expect that authors who were inspired by Austen and her novels would equal her writing skills. Yet, I have to say this, do not read Linda Berdoll! She has, in my humble opinion, done her best to ruin Pride and Prejudice and its beloved characters!

Re: Becoming Jane
I will definitely see the movie. And James MacAvoy is there!

5/11/2007 09:27:00 AM  

Blogger Nicole said...

This sounds so great! I haven't heard of it yet either, when does it come out? I always miss good movies since I never watch commercials, therefore missing all previews. So thanks for the heads up. I love that actress too!

5/11/2007 10:15:00 AM  

Blogger raspberry swyrl said...

Why oh why do they keep using American actors in British films?? There are many talented British actors out there. Why??!! Why go through faking the accent?? This annoys me greatly. (The Importance of Being Ernest, An Ideal Husband just to name a few others. Bringing me to another rant in why they had to make a sequel to 28 days later-and of course add in Americans)

Other then that, looks good and I do like Anne Hathaway.

Don't get me started on how wrong it was for Keira Knightly to be Elizabeth in the recent remake of Pride and Prejudice. Chin acting people. The BBC version will always be dear to my heart.

5/11/2007 10:50:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I have never read any of those books. *the shame* Although I've seen the movies and BBC series. Pride and Prejudice is still the best IMO. My personal favorite is BBC's version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth.

5/11/2007 10:52:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Raspberry Swyrl, I love the BBC version too.

I like Ann Hathaway and the movie has great reviews. I'm hoping this one is better than P&P with Keira.

5/11/2007 10:55:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

The trailer looks good. I think this has a good cast as well. Thanks for the heads up!

5/11/2007 12:42:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Sorry for the confusion. Just to clarify: I edited the post. We are starting our discussion for HP tomorrow, not Sunday. Thanks you guys!

5/11/2007 01:53:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Yay! Saturday for BBC is great :)

I like Anne Hathaway a lot. I'll try to see the movie next week!

5/11/2007 02:30:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I like Melissa Nathan. She puts a good twist on her Jane Austen inspired modern tales.

I too am not aware of this movie. Great casting and it looks like it's done with humor. One can only hope with wit and charm as well like JA's novels.

5/11/2007 04:45:00 PM  

Blogger Lola Lovegood said...

I like Anne Hathaway. She usually works on fluffy movies but I think she acts well. Will definitely keep an eye out for this film.

Does anyone know if the movie is based the true story or if it is the true story?

5/11/2007 07:37:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Er... haven't read HP :p . But I have read and greatly enjoyed Melissa Nathan's books. I think I've read all of them -- the dedication in the last one is so very heartbreaking.

I should get around to reading the originals one day.

PS. Has anyone read Loretta Chase's latest, Not Quite A Lady? I'm just wondering what on earth happened?! The writing... it's all changed.

5/11/2007 11:57:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched Becoming Jane the other weekend. It was really good. I liked it alot.
It follows a suppossed affair that Jane had with a Mr Tom Lefroy. I dont know if she really had the affair but in the film they dramatise it a lot (unsurprisingly).
Theres a book called Mr Darcy takes a Bride. I dont know who its by but its pretty good. Its completely different from Pride and Prejudice. Its a sequel. I was kinda disturbed by how the author made a couple of characters turn out but it was still alright...

5/12/2007 03:22:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Gabrielle, does it have a happy ending? I know Jane died a spinster but you know, they could have ended it with a time when Tom Lefroy and Jane were together.

I've read Kate Fenton. She is like Melissa Nathan. She retells Jane's novels in our time period.

5/12/2007 03:57:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ppost didnt show up...
I dont want to ruin it so I'll just say that its a good ending :D.

5/12/2007 09:23:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this movie last weekend and liked it. The ending is... ok :)

5/12/2007 09:51:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No spoilers please you guys ... I have to wait until the end of the month to see it here in N.Z.
It looks good though.
And H & T ... I did promise I wouldn't cheat on HP1. lol!

5/12/2007 11:10:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering whether the movie was worth watching. Seems it is. Must get my husband to keep girls while I go then :)

I love Melissa Nathan. Read all her books except the first. The dedication in the last one was amazing. Her dedication to her son was heart wrneching.

5/14/2007 09:23:00 AM