Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Is the Internet tainting the relationship between authors and readers?

I am continually saddened by the deterioration of the online romance community. We’re starting to resemble The Jerry Springer Show in a way that is more tragic than funny. *sigh*

There are authors that use their sites and bulletin boards to promote friendship and to form sisterhoods amongst their readers, like Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jennifer Crusie, the ladies from Squawk Radio and many others. Then there are others who allow all kinds of nasty fights and disputes to go on in their sites; some even join in and promote them!

And, of course, the bloggers. Most smart and funny, others vile and with so little class it’s a wonder they can even put a coherent sentence together. These are the ones that attack and criticize everyone that has the misfortune to cross their paths. Makes you wonder what kind of “real” lives these people lead that they feel compelled to spew so much hatred around.

In between all of this, the readers, who I think are the ones that have the most to loose.

Maybe it would’ve been better if Romance Land hadn’t moved into the 21st century and found the WWW. At least then, the community could’ve been able to maintain the dignity and class it seems to have once possessed.

Thoughts? Comments?


Related:

Labels:


21 comment(s):

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Trollop, you're right. This is why I stopped visiting some blogs. Of course there are wonderful sites I love like this blog and there are blogs that intentionally attack and trash authors to get attention. It's all about notoriety. What a shame.

5/02/2007 03:01:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

Sometimes I wish my favorite authors don't blog. First, I'm thinking blogging makes them write slower, resulting for a slower production of a new book. Then, there's the fact that some of them participate in reader blogs and that is all fine but not to a point where they should involve themselves in a dispute.

5/02/2007 04:21:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

I do shake my head at the regularity that people in the romance community go for each others throats!

5/02/2007 04:29:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

It's sad that this is happening. I wonder if this only happens in the romance community. I usually see a blogger attacking some author who he/she professes to love, lol.

5/02/2007 07:55:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Some people equate courseness (gad, is that even a word?!) with being witty and smart.

5/02/2007 11:21:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

It's embarrassing if you ask me. Thankfully there are still good sites and blogs that readers like me can enjoy without suffering the feeling as though I'm in The Jerry Springer Show. (That's a good one Trollop :))

5/03/2007 10:34:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I don't follow that many sites but all of them are friendly and a fun blog like this one. I think interactions between authors and their fans are very important. Still, if I were to meet a great author in person like Stephen King or JK Rowling, I will probably make a fool of myself. LOL

5/03/2007 11:23:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

All I can say is you girls are different. Fab articles, I usually learn a thing or two and even if you post half naked pics that will make my momma's ears turn red LOL, always classy you two.

5/03/2007 12:26:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delurking to say I totally agree with you Trollop. Good point. Unfair as it is to judge an author based on her personal life instead of on her works/books, one can't help but actually do that when the author is participating in a cat-fight.

But usually you can't blame the authors because some bloggers are crossing the line. It will never end until there are bloggers who "love" Romance and show it by attacking authors. There are some who deliberately fan fires and they usually start a fight. I refuse to read such blogs. Every time there is a kerfuffle, one can only hope the authors involve will ignore.

5/03/2007 01:25:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

Well said Trollop. I don't know why but this reminds me of Jennifer Crusie. I love it when that woman rants about the romance community and its readers. LOL

5/03/2007 03:29:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I like to believe in separation of author and book. I don't know why it seems to get more personal in romanceland. Although it appears that some TV is headed in that direction, with episodic podcasts and blogs. I don't particularly like being told what I'm supposed to be seeing or reading, so I tend to stick to writers/creators who don't talk down to their readers or viewers.

I have a few bloggers and authors on my RSS feed, but lately I've been noticing that I tend to skip most of them. I don't mind and sometimes prefer snarky reviews, but I don't like when it gets personal -- more to do with the author than the book. Or when authors who get upset direct personal comments at the reviewer.

(The lack of interest in romanceland may also have something to do with Supernatural taking over my brain, and Joss have 3 (squee!!) comics out all at the same time. ;) )

5/03/2007 03:58:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh i loooove Jen Crusie. I bow to that woman. I love it when she has something to say about the romance community. She's like a swordsmith with a samurai! LOL

5/03/2007 04:57:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Why does this always happen in the romance community? It's usually some author against a reader. I agree with Dance, there should be a definite separation between the author and the book. But even if I don't write for a living, I think I understand how hard it must be for an author when a supposed to be fan attacks your work and things get personal.

5/03/2007 05:07:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I'm new at "romance land" so I'm not familiar with all of this. I have heard of fans who stalk authors on line. I think that's the extreme.

I found some romance blogs but sadly, they did not get me hooked like you two did. You're not gossipy, thank gawd, more on good writing and very informative things especially on boys and sex. ;-)

5/03/2007 06:43:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I'm tired of all the "drama" and the cat fights. I'm tired of all the gossips/fights and misunderstandings that shouldn't even have started in the first place.

And we wonder why romance genre is not getting the respect it should have.

5/03/2007 08:34:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Love your Miss Manners post Trollop.

I usually ignore all the bruhaha of romance. I agree that it's the readers who have the most to loose, that's why I choose not to be involved. I'd rather just read the books.

5/05/2007 02:35:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Jolie, we try to ignore it as much as we can but sometimes it does get to be too much.

In any case, as long as they don't mess with us its all fine with the world. And even when they do, well, we just ignore. Best lesson my mom ever taught me: Ignore fools my dear, nothing bothers them more. :P Plus, now that I'm almost grown up I realize they're not worth it either *g*

5/05/2007 11:33:00 PM  

Blogger Holly said...

You know, I don't think you're giving the online romance community enough credit, nor are you giving the authors themselves what they're due.

Yes, it's true there are some authors/reviewers who love nothing better than to stir up trouble, but the majority of review sites and authors who join in on the blogs and message boards are sweet, classy women.

I realize some of the more popular blogs are ones that are snarky or outspoken, but to say ALL of them are that way is just ridiculous. I've been very blessed to meet some amazing people because of the internet and blog world.

Personally? I just stay away from the ones that are more snarky and enjoy the ones that aren't.

5/10/2007 02:58:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Holly, gorgeous, I adore you and all (lub your new site btw) but have to say, I think
You’re a bit confused about my post.

Re: You know, I don't think you're giving the online romance community enough credit, nor are you giving the authors themselves what they're due.

There are authors that use their sites and bulletin boards to promote friendship and to form sisterhoods amongst their readers, like Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jennifer Crusie, the ladies from Squawk Radio and many others. Then there are others who allow all kinds of nasty fights and disputes to go on in their sites; some even join in and promote them!


Re: I realize some of the more popular blogs are ones that are snarky or outspoken, but to say ALL of them are that way is just ridiculous. I've been very blessed to meet some amazing people because of the internet and blog world.

Huh? This really confused me. I said totally the opposite!

Most smart and funny, others vile and with so little class it’s a wonder they can even put a coherent sentence together.

Re: Personally? I just stay away from the ones that are more snarky and enjoy the ones that aren't.

I mostly do the same *g* which I think helps me maintain my romance land sanity LOL

Anyhoodles, I think we’re on the same page :)

5/10/2007 06:29:00 PM  

Blogger Lola Lovegood said...

I don't like trouble but I dislike unfairness even more.

I find it funny that a person who has obvious trouble with reading and reading comprehension would call Vicious Trollop ridiculous and imply that she's being unfair.

Holly, did you even read the post?

5/11/2007 02:05:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Lola, thanks for standing up for me *g* but I don't think Holly meant to call me ridiculous and unfair. :)

We're both on the same page on this, our wires just got crossed. *smile*

5/11/2007 02:21:00 PM