Saturday, March 3, 2007

You down with the Brotherhood, or what?

Though the good lord knows I should be working on my thesis instead of salivating over hot immortals, I stayed up half the night reading Dark Lover by J.R. Ward, the first in the “Black Dagger Brotherhood” series.

I enjoyed the story even if I did burst into hysterical laughter every time:

a) an outfit was described...


He was wearing a biker jacket in spite of the heat, and his long legs were covered in leather as well. He had steel-toed shitkicker boots on, and he moved like a predator.

He was wearing a skintight, long-sleeved black shirt. On both his pecs, small rings were evident beneath the material, as if he had his nipples pierced. As she looked back up at his face, she saw he had a black band tattooed around his neck and a plug in his left earlobe.


b) the “brothers” talked between themselves...


“Rhage, man, how we feeling?” Wrath asked, leaving her side.
“Belly hurts.”
“Yeah. I can imagine.”
Rhage swayed as he looked around the room, eyes barely open. “Going home. Where my clothes?”
“You lost them.” Wrath put his good arm around his brother’s waist. “And you’re not leaving, you’re crashing in Ds room.”

As the door closed behind Beth, Butch heard Vishous whistle under his breath. “That is one fine female, true?” V said. There was a low, affirmative grumble.
“And someone you do not want to mess with,” the brother continued. “Man, you should have seen her when we came into that barn. She was standing over his body, ready to take the cop and me on with her bare hands if she had to. Like Wrath was her cub, you feel me?”


c) their names were mentioned...


They’d (Vishous and him) crashed after kicking Tohr’s bottle of Scotch.
Tohr. Short for Tohrment.
God, he even knew their names. Rhage. Phury. And that scary-ass Zsadist guy. Yeah, no Tom, Dick, and Harry names for the vampire types.
But come on, could you actually imagine some lethal bloodsucker named Howard? Eugene? Oh, no, Wallie, please don’t bite my—


d) their choice in music came up...


From down the hall, he heard the sounds of the men. They’d been in what he assumed must be a dining room for hours, just running their mouths. At least their choice of dinner music was appropriate. Hard-core rap thumped through the house, 2Pac, Jay-Z, D-12. Occasionally, he heard shouts of laughter over the beats. Taunts of the macho variety.


In spite of it all, I’m having so much fun I’m off to read Rhage’s story, Lover... er... Lover something or other, don’t remember, and too lazy to get up and look. LOL

Labels: ,


53 comment(s):

Blogger ValVega said...

Oh come on Harlot, they could be worse, they coud be rappers with claws, or rappers that have sex with their gf's sister! *gasp* Now that would be bad! LOL

3/03/2007 12:56:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Not into that but who am i to complain when the GF herself let him. Oh well, at least he doesn't answer to names like Viswush or Phuck. :/

3/03/2007 01:20:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Re: Phuck

Oh LOL that would have been a great name for a "Brother"!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL Can't believe JRW didn't think of it herself.

3/03/2007 01:29:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I love JR Ward's books! LOL. But these are funny Trollop.

I'm actually waiting for Lover Revealed.

3/03/2007 02:00:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I loved the first and second book in the series but after Lover Awakened, it felt like it's all been there, done that. You feel me?

3/03/2007 02:52:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

wouldn't that be YA feel me? I mean, if we're doing it the Three Six Mafia way and all.

Yo, yo, yo. LOLLOL

I simply must set aside some time to read these :)

DC--word to yer mother LOLLOL

3/03/2007 03:19:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Vanessa, I feel you babe! LOL

DC,

Long time no see my sistah! LOL

They keep yo'ing each other but for some reason they don't use ya'.

If I find one "ya' dah man" in any of the books that's going to be it for me LOL That, or biatch as in "Yo, I fucked yo mama laaast night... BIATCH!"

There is only so much gangsta' lingo I can take LOL

3/03/2007 04:17:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. And that's the best-selling paranormal romance I've been hearing about?

I know some women find that attractive, but I actually don't. D: Yeah, sophisticated men all the way. Jeeze.

Lawl @ Phuck. XD

3/03/2007 05:56:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

As I said on the tagboard, whilst there are lots of things that should be irritating, the whole thing actually works very well. JR writes really good heroes! Can't wait for the next book!

3/03/2007 06:24:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I normally just read the blogs here but now I have to say something..
Despite the anguage that the Brothers use they are sexy. Or Rhage is anyway.. Lover Eternal is the only one that I have read and damn he is hot! Maybe its extremely magnificent height (6'8)
or maybe thats hes described as so good looking that he could make Brad Pitt look like a candidate for The Swan (and I do love my Bradley) but Rhage is amazing...

Anyway that was my rant..
I love this blog!!!!

-Gabrielle

3/03/2007 07:08:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

'fo shizzle manizzle, my fellow G (er, Trollop. LOL). Which has something to do with a ganster and I doubt we fit the bill. LOLOLOL

My kid is big into rap and he knows all the lingo--thus, ME TOO. LMAO.Thougb I use it pretty sparingly in my writing.

I really gotta read this because I aim to nail my kid with some of the same. LOL

DC--who had someone try to pick her up in the Hard Rock cafe with--yo, yo, yo, baby--whass up? To which I said, OMG--you come from my son's planet! I speak your language. LMAO

3/03/2007 07:24:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

These books are like really good (or bad?) fanfic. They're addictive even though there are so many hilariously terrible parts... I want a Vishous/Butch OTP! but I don't think that's going to happen.

3/03/2007 08:58:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Wait a minute, I thought these books are the "shit"? How come EVERYBODY is raving about them?

I'm with Harlot, I don't think I'll be able to get over men who talk like that. I don't even like rap, LOL.

3/03/2007 09:32:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Vishous? Phuck? LMAO!!!

Maybe I should try these books just for the laughs. :P

3/03/2007 09:34:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

I read Dark Lover because everyone is recommending them to me. I think if you get over the dialogue and the clothes, they're actually entertaining. Not good per se, passable enough.

I like the DH books better. Actually I think JR Ward sort of copied SK's ideas (just my opinion), and then added the gangster lingo for more color. LOL

3/03/2007 09:53:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

Phuck would have been a good name. LOL. What's up with all the "h"? The names bothered me more than the language since they appear all the time.

Dakota, LOL, that's funny!

3/03/2007 09:59:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Real good fanfic? Dance, that's not very flattering if it's supposed to be a novel! LOL

What's OTP? And there's a hero named Phuck? OMG, LMAO!

3/03/2007 10:02:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't possibly take a book like this seriously. LMAO! Couldn't find that lingo sexy in a million years.
Yo feel me Mama?

3/03/2007 10:34:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

There's a hero named Phuck??? LOL! Trollop, these are funny. That rapper with the yellow get up cracks me up! LOL

I've yet to read JR Ward and now I don't think I would... But what exactly are the good things about the series? Unique storyline? Great characters? (though with stupid names LOL)

3/03/2007 10:38:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

OTP = one true pairing. *g* Just like in fandom/fanfic. Heh. I can't take these books seriously at all, which is why I liken them to fanfic (though some fanfic is wonderful) -- I haven't read SK books, but I've seen others remark on the resemblance.

No, there isn't a hero named Phuck - although, it is a great name, to go along with all the others. Hee.

But what exactly are the good things about the series? Unique storyline? Great characters? (though with stupid names LOL)

The hoyay. :D It's the brotherhood stuff, not so much the m/f romance that I like best about these books. I'm going to be disappointed if there Vishous and Butch don't ride off into the sunset together (even if they're in another (het) relationship).

3/03/2007 11:10:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Phuck would have been perfect. LOL.

I have no idea what "hoyay" is so I looked it up. According to answers.com:

HoYay is online slang meaning "Homoeroticism, Yay." It is used to describe seemingly homoerotic tension and subtextual dialougue between characters who are widely accepted as straight. The origins of the term are arguable, but one widely believed is that it was derived from the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" character, Willow, who often used the word "yay" enthusiastically. This phenomenon has sparked the imaginations of some television fans, who will then try to "Spot the HoYay" in a television series. Perceived homerotic tension in a series can also give way to slash fiction, in which authors write stories, often sexually explicit, about same-sex characters.


I love Buffy, didn't watch Angel, and I can't recall any mention of "hoyay" there. But I get the "homoerotic tension" between the Buffy characters. On that note, I got to admit I'm still not sure if Xander is straight. LOL

3/03/2007 11:31:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I think it's from Willow's "Vampires, yay?" quote... which on TWOP got turned into "homoeroticism, yay" and eventually to "hoyay!".

Hoyay is everywhere in the Buffyverse. Angel/Spike is practically canon. What can you do when even the director slashes his characters? and says stuff like, "In my world, heroes bugger each other senseless. Not all of them, but more than you'd think, and probably not who you're thinking." *g*

3/03/2007 11:42:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I agree about the language, "you feel me?" LOL LOL but I
like this series. My favorite is Lover Eternal. The heroes are really hot!

3/03/2007 11:54:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God I thought I'm the only one who thought there's something really wrong with this series. I really tried to get pass the lingo and the weirdass names but it's very distracting... and when something keeps distracting me in a very irritating matter, I can't take it. And what's up with everyone acting as if these kinds of ape-man behavior are the norm? This series is a joke. A very stupid one at that.

3/04/2007 12:01:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

"And what's up with everyone acting as if these kinds of ape-man behavior are the norm?"

I agree. LOL

3/04/2007 02:01:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

"Not all of them, but more than you'd think, and probably not who you're thinking."

What if it's siblings like the Winchesters? Is it still hoyay? :P

3/04/2007 02:05:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Hoyay? You feel me broder. Yo duh man. What has the world come into?!

3/04/2007 02:09:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Lover Revealed will be released on March 6. Just a little reminder. ;)

3/04/2007 02:49:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Re: Marg: Z's stohry is my favouhrite as wehll!

I love Z. I think he's the sexiest and the most intriguing so far. His book is field with new revelations about the Brotherhood and those Omega. I cannot wait for Lover Revealed!

3/04/2007 02:58:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

What if it's siblings like the Winchesters? Is it still hoyay? :P

Yep. Also Wincest. Um. Not that I think of them that way. No. Never.

I think Wincest has beat out Tamcest, which creeps me out far more than Wincest does (which creeps me out a fair bit anyway).

(Dean&Sam are my OTP! but I really don't ship them that way - either pair of siblings - but sometimes it's hard to miss, like when River asks Simon to marry her (really, Joss.) or when Sam and Dean look at each other. It's not like the actors haven't noticed. How cute are they, by the way?

I think I would fall over if Joss ever made his way to Supernatural to write or direct or something. But I don't think there are enough regulars for him to kill off. Or women, either. Maybe if Sam were a girl...)

3/04/2007 03:19:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

To be honest I am more interested in what this book offers in terms of future development. I'm not as crazy for Butch as I am for some of the others, but I can't wait to find out more about just about everyone else!!

3/04/2007 03:19:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I'm not crazy about Butch either but some people who got their hands on early copies are saying it's the best book yet. I'm getting it but to be honest what I wanted is more Z. LOL.

3/04/2007 03:36:00 AM  

Blogger Marg said...

Well yes...I would be happy with more Z as well....or more V or more Phury or something about Tohr. I see a pattern really!

As for Butch's book...it's already ordered, and hopefully will be with me soon!

3/04/2007 03:44:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lover Revealed is already available at Walmart and if you get lucky at ebay.com :)

3/04/2007 04:13:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Gabrielle,
I love your name. :D Well, i've always loved the name Gabriel and Tristan. Er, where were we? Right. So this RHHHage is prettier than Brad Pitt? Hmm... and he's 6'8? Oh. Ash is 6'8 too! And he's the most beautiful creature who ever walked the earth according to DH fans. ;) Btw, why are you lurking? *sniff* If you're worried about evil woman Trollop, i'll protect you from her, i promise.


Cassie,
Totally agree LOL.


Dance,
Love your pics! Dean is really cute, isn't he? Btw, Wincest, Tamcest, euw.. :S I can't remember River asking Simon to marry him... though there's something weird about those two. :/

Have no idea wtf is hoyay, so thanks Izzie. :P

3/04/2007 04:25:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol... Ive come sooo close to writing stuff but then I end up stopping halfway through. Dont know why. Tristan is one of my fave names too. I know a hottie by that name so it just made it better ;)

And when I read that Rhage was better looking than Brad I didnt really think it was possible, but in the land of make beleive anythings possible right?
Im pretty sure hes 6'8 but then looking back maybe thats Kyrian of Thrace... I remember Kyrian was really tall and had a Lamborghini which I thought was really stupid coz he wouldnt have been able to fit into it lol.

-Gabrielle

3/04/2007 06:04:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Gabrielle, I know what you mean about Kyrian! I thought the same thing too. LOL But I think it's Ash who is 6'8...

Dance, you are a Supernatural addict. LOL. I should watch the show. The boys are hot. :P

3/05/2007 12:07:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

I can't remember River asking Simon to marry him... though there's something weird about those two.

It's in the outtakes for "Our Mrs. Reynolds". And those two are very close, almost too close. Which of course is why I like them so much. Without the slash goggles on. :D

Jolie, it's not even funny how hard I fell for this show. I thought I was done with horror and obsessing about TV shows after Whedon... apparently not. *g* And you should watch. It's great, and not just because of the pretty; the writing is pretty good too, especially this (2nd) season. :)

Re BDB: I think 6'8 is too tall; around 6' is the perfect height, IMO. And I must have skipped over the Brad Pitt part because I don't remember it at all. LOL.

3/05/2007 01:35:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I just got Dark Lover and I have to admit, I'm very disappointed ladies. I thought the hero's name is Phuck?

3/05/2007 11:19:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

6'8 is too tall. I like tall men but I don't want one that would make me look like a dwarf.

3/05/2007 11:21:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snicker* I'm so glad you're gonna take the heat for "dissin' da BDBs", Trollop. These books have some really zealous fans and I admit I was afraid to let anyone know how I snicker and snort my way through these. Hell, I just recently read them so I could see what all the hub-bub was about!

To me, they are on the same level as the Dark-Hunters and Carpathians. Using my blog review categories, they'd all be Peanut M&Ms ("mmmm...devour... sigh... then reach for the next one. My daily dose of Insanity-B-Gone. Most books fall in this category.")

Although I do give the BDBs extra credit just because their names and speech are so snicker-worthy!

Warning: Olde Phart Reference...
I remember during the whole 60's hippie era, the older generation (anyone over 30) tried so HARD to be hip by using words like "groovy, man" or wearing Nehru jackets. It was laughable then, and it's the same kind of feeling I get when I hear/see K-Fed or read the BDBs.

But, damned if the bruthuhs haven't grown on me and I'll keep on buying their stories! Go figure.

3/05/2007 11:59:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

QB, goovy... LOL. Right on sistah :P, it's the same as "you feel me". Actually, I've never heard anyone talk like that.

3/06/2007 12:52:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

QB, I love these books too and I admit to snickering once in a while because of JR Ward's choices of names and lingo, and god knows many authors have crazy fans but if someone doesn't like a book, I think she has the right to make fun of it if she wants to. ;) Especially if she paid for the said book. Oh this just reminded me of LKH. LOL!

3/06/2007 01:03:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Oh QB, trust me, Trollop and i are VERY familiar with fucking rabid fan girls. *snort*

Also, why would i/Trollop/you be afraid? I mean, i don't have to like a book just because everyone else does. And why would you be upset by a ramdom person's view of a book? Everyone has the right to dislike and diss a novel he purchased with his hard earned money, something he found lacking for his taste.

Besides, do they really expect EVERYONE to love these stupid books? I'm sorry LOL, if a hero dresses like an idiot and talks like an idiot, what else would i think? :P Though i was surprised i've been wrong all along! I didn't know hard-core rap is an appropriate dinner music! Taunts of macho variety indeed. *snicker*

3/06/2007 01:25:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Trollop said that Rhhhage is 6'8. :/ Gotta admit i lub Ash but his height is overwhelming. I like tall men really, i adore them actually. I like to wear 4-inch heels and feel that my man and i fit perfectly.. *sigh* i want to tip toe while kissing.. *sigh* LOL But really, 6'8? I'll need a bloody chair to be able to kiss someone that tall!

3/06/2007 01:33:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

QB, welcome :)

Rhage´s book is even more full of the brothers lingo, at times I have to stop and gasp for I´m laughing so hard LOL Especially Butch, god that guy has some odd phrases! You feel me?

I´m really starting to like Zsadist though (perhaps b-c there´s no H in the name? LOL) I will read his story next and tell you guys what I think and what other hip-gangsta sayings I´ve learned! :P

3/06/2007 05:23:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot said "Oh QB, trust me, Trollop and i are VERY familiar with fucking rabid fan girls. *snort*

Also, why would i/Trollop/you be afraid?"

Afraid might not be the right word. I'm one of those LKH fangirls (not rabid, because I DO see where the criticism is coming from and actually possess a sense of humor about it) and I see the same kind of fanaticism growing for J.R. Ward. Until Trollop's blog post, I didn't realize I was the only one snickering and snorting!

Besides, I was beginning to think that I really AM an Olde Phart and just wasn't "getting" the whole BDB mania.

But like I said before, the wannabe gangsta boys have grown on me and I will continue to read (and probably snicker at) them.

3/06/2007 11:57:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

LOL. I love JRW's series.

I got lucky at Walmart and acquired an early copy of Lover Revealed. It's not bad, but Z's book is better.

3/06/2007 01:55:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

By the way, the names of the brothers make me sicker too. LOL!

3/06/2007 01:56:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I mentioned this pack of new breed gangsters to my best friend and apparently she reads JR Ward. Now she mentioned some disgusting habits these men have. What exactly is so good about these books?

3/07/2007 12:55:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the famous paranormal series everyone is raving about?? Euw EUWWWW! GROSS!

3/08/2007 05:27:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

You feel me? LOL. I have the first book but I haven't read it yet. I think I'll pick it up one of these days just for the laughs. :P

3/08/2007 11:01:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL @ everyone!

I tried to read Dark Lover this summer, but wound up skimming it. I was meh about it. People assure me that that's the worst in the series, so I'm going to read the other books in a couple of weeks before I make a final judgment.

But...

A) I completely agree about the names and the lingo. It's not "funny" at least not in a cute way and it's most definitely NOT cool. It reminds me of early 90s slang: when the older high school kids would skateboard by our elementary school, talking like idiots, falling off their skateboards, but thinking they were The Shit just because they couldn't speak proper English.

B) I hate rap music...except for German rap, but it's different than American...more of a political statement whereas American rap is "move, bitch, get out the way" ROFL!

If I do get hooked by the series by the next few books, I garauntee I still will not be able to get into the above two things...if I do, someone, please shoot me and put me out of my misery!

To sum it up, I think JRW is a fad...the lingo, names, clothing, etc WILL ultimately doom the series...they make everything soooo dated. People will pick these books up 20/10/even 5 years from now and won't be able to get past all the jargon.

3/16/2007 01:23:00 AM