Friday, February 23, 2007

Politically incorrect

As you guys know, I’m doing a masters in Applied Political Science. On Fridays, our class has been divided into think-tank groups; we were to choose from a variety of topics and I decided on “equality and gender.” Today was our first session and we started by discussing a law that’s just been passed in Spain which controls sexism in publicity. You know the kinds of things: women always advertising cleaning products in commercials while men get to drive the cool sports cars and so on.

The moderator passed around a picture of a Dolce & Gabbana ad and asked us to give it a bit of thought. This is the ad:



These were, more or less, my first observations:
  • God, those are lovely shoes. Wonder if they’re obscenely expensive... Maybe if I starved for a month or two...
  • No one has the right to be that bloody thin and have such hard/shapely thighs! Bitch!
  • Mmmm, that’s quite a six-pack the shirtless hottie on the right is sporting.
This is what the moderator went on to say: “This ad by Dolce & Gabbana is promoting discrimination against women. It’s showing them in a submissive and degrading role, not to mention the way it blatantly encourages rape and humiliation.”

Er, I’m starting to believe I’m studying the wrong thing LOL. But how could I notice those trivialities when the girl is wearing such nice shoes?!?! I’m only a mortal woman, what do they want from me?

Labels: ,


26 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

When Trollop showed me this, the first thing i thought: gang rape. Hello? A man forcibly pining her down while the others, sorta sneering, watching, what would you think?

I think this is an offensive and PATHETIC attempt to be edgy or provocative. I don't work for an ad agency but what the fuck were they thinking? They're passing this off as an image of fashion? What's fashionable about rape?

What a stupid stupid way to sell clothes.

2/23/2007 11:00:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen the rest of the pics?
They're disgusting...I mean are you adverting fashion or sexuality/abuse whatever it is?
I don't like D&G clothes,now I can't even stand them....they're so vulgar.
I'm not a saint,but limits should be put.It seems like you can't advertise anything if it doesn't have a sexual meaning!:S

2/23/2007 11:04:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

On the record, she does have pritti lovely *sigh* lovely shoes...

Hmm, you know what babe, yes, go starve and then buy a pair. I can always borrow from you. :D

2/23/2007 11:07:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Evie, there are more? :S I didn't see those.. You have a link?

2/23/2007 11:09:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Spettacoli/2007/02_Febbraio/23/dolce.shtml

There is a row of pics in the middle,click on the first and you'll see them all1;)

2/23/2007 11:35:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Spettacoli/2007/02_Febbraio/23/dolce.shtml

2/23/2007 11:38:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Thanks Evie. :D I've seen better ads (with more gorgeous men too, heh :P) but except for the first one, i think the others are fine.

Lord knows i'm all for celebrating sexuality: be gay, or be bold, or be promiscuous if you want, etc. I know jeans, shoes, perfume connote sex, and it's great to be provocative but there's a line between being imaginatively sexy AND promoting unacceptable activities.

2/23/2007 11:51:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Trollop, I agree: great shoes! LOL But I agree with Harlot because I thought of rape too...

2/23/2007 11:55:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

You know what, some of those men looks gay. If that's the case, I don't think they're thinking of raping her. Maybe rob her of the pretty shoes? :P I would have! LOL.

2/23/2007 11:57:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

I don't really see the rape thing - I think because their expressions seem to be rather disinterested. Mostly, I'm freaked out at how plastic they all look.

2/23/2007 02:10:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Ads today are mostly sexual because that's what sells. Now this ad, unless you're into rape fantasies, I think you won't find it sexy at all. I think D&G should pull it off the market.

2/23/2007 03:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's laying on the ground because she fell and practically broke her neck trying to walk on those gorgeous but monstrous shoes. He's leaning over to help her up. DUH! Lol. They do look scary plastic.

2/23/2007 04:28:00 PM  

Blogger Andrea said...

The first things I noticed were the shoes too. So yummy.

2/23/2007 04:46:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you go through the photos on evelina's link, go to #4. He creeps me out in a "it puts the lotion in the basket" kind of way. I don't think he'd share his shoes. LOL

2/23/2007 06:27:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

She does have nice shoes, lol. What's the purpose of him pinning her down?

2/24/2007 01:09:00 AM  

Blogger Jolie said...

This reminds me of that Gucci ad with a girl who shows her pubic hair styled as letter G. Though that one is way better than this tasteless D&G ad.

2/24/2007 01:23:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I actually like that Gucci ad. It looks fab and very very very sexy. Of course if i put someone's initial down there i better get stroked. :P

2/24/2007 02:22:00 AM  

Blogger knife wielding bitch said...

i agree with danielle.. anything with sexual innuendo would catch the publics' eyes.. but that's just too bad because it's getting worst, people just don't know the limitations. *sigh* i do love D&G's light blue fragrance though... and you gurls are right purrty shoes she's got, but i know i could never pull that one off so she can have those.

--angel_jamie

2/24/2007 03:20:00 AM  

Blogger Menchie said...

Yeah, forget the ad -- not sexy at all.

But I want her shoes and I want to have her thighs. *Sigh*

2/24/2007 03:36:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ads are there to make a product stand out from the rest, but I wouldn't want to be remembered through this ad.

2/24/2007 01:15:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if you starved yourself so you could afford the shoes, you might end up with the thighs, double bonus!
Seriously, I thought rape, too. But the passive expresions and plastic look to all of them is almost more creepy.

2/24/2007 04:00:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yuk. The subliminal message here is that men will stand back and allow rape to happen and not lift a finger to assist. They are totally disinterested in her plight. Not a good message to send out into the world. Is it advertising baby oil??? lol!

2/24/2007 06:25:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh, funny. The first thing I noticed was the shoes also!! Maaaan, those are hot.

Then I noticed all of the guys. Oooh. Er....

2/25/2007 11:00:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Puleeze! Can't they see it's a pretty girl styling for the menfolk?

2/25/2007 11:32:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care how much someone "promotes rape" it doesn't make people rape, it's something they would of done anyway, ad or no ad. I am sick of everyone passing the blame on every thing and everyone else besides who deserves to be held accountable for their actions, the person committing the crime.

Stepping off my soap box, I think that everyone tries to advertise to certain groups and now that there is so many groups coming out of the wood work, (goth, emo, punk, s&m, county, preps, etc.) because of the internet being able to connect people who have similar interest, like people loving romance novels, that companies make several ad campaigns to hit the biggest groups. Right now that is the Paris Hiltons of the word, the emo/goth people and rap.

To me it was a dominance/ s&m thing, not rape because she doesn't seem to be struggling or look distressed, but that's me.

I do love those shoes.

2/26/2007 12:31:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I didn't have any of your thoughts except that the men are gorgeoud and the lady is amazing. I am hoping I had this reaction cause I had already been tipped off that it was a D&G ad.

2/27/2007 02:55:00 PM