Saturday, February 17, 2007

A rant and a bit of talk on Latin asses

Lately, I feel like I was in jail for a very long time and now that I’ve been let out, need to absorb as much as I can of what I missed. Part of it is blog hopping, which I quite enjoy (if the blogs are good, and god knows those are few and far between LOL). My favorites are anything to do with pop culture, celebrity gossip (yes, I’m one of those *sigh*) and of course, books. But something happened while I was gone; all the book blogs I enjoyed now only—and solely—review books!

Yesterday I spend the better part of my afternoon book-blog hopping and all I found were fucking reviews; I really really don’t get it! How many times can a book be reviewed without readers wanting to flog themselves instead of reading the same thing over and over again? I swear to you, different sites, same books reviewed; same site, different people reviewing the same book. 3 out 5, B-, 99, 2 and ¾ of a ¼ stars... *sigh* I remember loving the stuff these bloggers wrote about before this “lets-all-go-out-and-review-every- damn-book-we’ve-ever-read-including-the-illustrated-Bible-our-grandma- gave-us-when-we-were-seven” epidemic. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Since I arrived in Madrid a couple of months ago, I’ve developed a small routine that I follow religiously. I wake up, turn on computer and put on coffee, tidy up room, go shower while coffee is brewing, chat with Harlot, have Lucia (my bff here in Madrid) over for cookies and coffee and... enjoy the soccer game right under my window. You see, I have been blessed with the best room in the dorm (the fucking smallest one too!). When I look out my window, I see the soccer field that’s right under it—and let me tell you, ladies, Saturday mornings the Latinos who live here play soccer. Mama mia! Maybe god didn’t give men in general much of a brain and these ones are all probably macho pigs but J.F.C., they do have nice rumps! LOL

Labels: , ,


29 comment(s):

Blogger Menchie said...

Trollop,
OMG. Soccer players' rumps early Saturday morning. Every freaking weekend??!!! Lucky girl.

2/17/2007 08:56:00 AM  

Blogger Claudia said...

Spanish soccer teams??? oh hello!! can i visit??? I have a particular weakness for those boys...

2/17/2007 11:50:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

That is why this is the only book blog I read. It's not my intention to offend others but everyone else is boring me. What I'm trying to say is every book blog is the same (at least those that I have been to). Yours is different. There's something about this blog ... and even if they're not posting about a book review, they still can't hold my interest like you and Harlot do. I'm not sucking up or whatever, that's just what I feel. I'm allowed to have my own opinion after all.

2/17/2007 01:06:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

What Polly said, LOL. Really you Book Bitches rock!

As for the Latino soccer players, come to mama!

2/17/2007 01:32:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

I agree with Polly. I understand the appeal of book reviewing for some but for me, I'm not into that so I rarely read those blogs/sites. Besides if I need a review, Amazon has tons of them and those are from different people, not just one person's POV. There's also the fact that some of these book blogs are all gossipy and trashy, which I really don't like.

Trollop, you get a great view of soccer players' rumps every week? That is so not fair! LOL

2/17/2007 01:54:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

As they say, it is their blog so they can pretty much do whatever they want with it. Just don't expect me to stick around - not that I'm saying they should write to please me, lol. I'm just not interested with what they're doing.

I guess they all enjoy doing reviews (why else would they do it then?) and that it is what their readers want. If that's the case, more power to them. I on the other hand go here and enjoy discussing books without the need to suffer all that boring reviews, and to look at the best eye candy too. ;)

2/17/2007 02:53:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Clearly, you need to watch Supernatural. Looking at everything through a Dean (or Sam, or both) induced haze makes the world a brighter place. :p

The camera, it loves him.

I have a few reader/review blogs on my google reader. If I think it's interesting, I read it; it not, I move on (to more interesting things).

2/17/2007 03:20:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaah! yes, latin rumps, mmmm..

my ex is Latino and I learned to say "Menea tu culo caliente, papi!" pretty quick. like Ale said; where are the pics?

2/17/2007 04:35:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ack...that's me above...see what your talk of latino butt's got me doing ;)

2/17/2007 04:36:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

"There's something about this blog ... and even if they're not posting about a book review, they still can't hold my interest like you and Harlot do."

I agree about this. Come to think of it, I'm not that into books when I found this blog. Thank you for that ladies. And for all the sexy articles and for all the smiles and laughter.

2/17/2007 07:23:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Dance, I love your pics!

2/17/2007 07:24:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Didn't someone actually complain that you guys don't always write book reviews? I think that was last month or maybe December. I say if you don't like the blog, move to another one. But usually: "different sites, same books reviewed, same site different people reviewing the same book" - oh so true! LOL!

Dance, you're making us all watch Supernatural, aren't you? :P

2/17/2007 07:43:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Re: my ex is Latino and I learned to say "Menea tu culo caliente, papi!"

Rod's Girl, may I ask what does that mean? I'm just curious ;P

2/17/2007 07:51:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

Surely that depends on what the individual set up their blog to do. I set up a book review blog because I wanted some record of what I have read and what I thought of it.

When I am inspired I put up other stuff, but it was never my intention to write life with books. It was always books with a bit of life!

Then again, whilst I enjoy it if people read and comment on my blog, I also understand that people just skim and then move on as well. After all that is what I do....dare I say it, even on blogs like this one! If the post captures my attention, well, that's a different matter!

2/17/2007 08:31:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Yes, Marg, exactly. If you don't like what you read, move on to another one. Thank God for variety and the liberty to choose!

2/17/2007 08:56:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

You can't please everybody. Besides, why try? That's fucking ridiculous. I think the main reason why someone sets up a blog is to be able to write whatever it is he wants to. (Bound by laws/truth of course, or he'll be sued! LOL)

The reason Trollop and i started this blog is because we wanted to have a place where we can post whatever we want. We're both members of a BB where you can't say things like "fuck", mention anything bad about an author even if he/she freaking sucks, and that's fine really. After all, a good BB/forum should be nice and friendly. Now, after more than a year, Trollop and i are still here, and still posting whatever it is *we* want to. Books, sex, men, orgasms, Nutella, etc, because that's what we want to do and we fucking enjoy that.

I don't like politics; I grew up with that shit and i'm tired of it. Therefore, there's no way i'm going to read a political blog LOL. The same principle applies with blogging. If you don't want to talk about, say, how stupid/skanky Britney is, why the hell would you do that then?! If you love reviewing books, then that's what you should do. That's what the other blogs should do. If a reader likes it, FAN-TASTIC. If not, the reader should move on to another blog. Enjoy the free world, darlings. ;)

2/17/2007 09:46:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

I agree with Harlot. If you don't like what you read, move on. If you have something to say, as Marg has mentioned, then post a comment. If you want to rant like Trollop did, review a book, post more eye candy (hint hint! lol) then by all means you should do that on your blog. :)

2/17/2007 11:02:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trollop, I want to live in your dorm room! I love soccer players. Latinos, British, Italians, Germans... all of them running with their little shorts ahh... lovely.

2/18/2007 12:13:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Ok Ok, I get it, I should move on *sniff*

But my original question was what happened to these blogs that most have changed from discussing life and books to pretending they're Harriet Klausner? And second, er, kind of thinking that a book can only be reviewed so many times :/ If every blog has the same posts where am I supposed to go? *sniff* *sniff*

Mmmm... This should be a great post. Favorite blogs, will get on with it then *g*

2/18/2007 04:18:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

Dance, you're making us all watch Supernatural, aren't you? :P

Is it working? ;)

(And since I'm shamelessly plugging... I just found out that Robin McKinley has a new book coming out this year!! This is like Christmas. :D (Amazon had better be accurate.))

2/18/2007 05:17:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

Trollop,

Is it bad that I'm more interested in what blogs have taken the turn for the worse (or bland)? :D

2/18/2007 05:23:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Dance,

Do you want me to be stoned to death by fellow bloggers? I'd rather rip off my own arm than mention any names! LOL

Will have to check out supernatural since you're obviously obsessed. I never liked "Dean" in GG's, and though I was interested in watching SN when it first started that sort of turned me off it.

2/18/2007 05:30:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Oh wait, what do I mean "will have to check out" I've no bloody TV! LOL I can't check anything out.

2/18/2007 05:31:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

youtube has many episodes *cough*. Though, of course, I encourage people to buy the DVDs. :D

Sammy on Supernatural is not like GG's Dean; they only look alike. But it's the Dean on Supernatural (played by Jensen Ackles, to whom the bottom belongs, in one of the earlier pics) whom I'm obsessed with, though Padalecki isn't hard on the eyes either (especially when he's wearing nothing but a threadbare towel) :) .

2/18/2007 05:41:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I never liked Dean either. I wanted Tristan for Rory--actually i wanted him for myself. :P Of course this is all when Chad Michael Murray was still unknown and sexy and now that he's famous he's not interesting anymore.

Anyway, i like Dean (SUPERNATURAL), couldn't care less about Sam. I think he should be eaten by one of those nasty aliens. :/

2/18/2007 06:40:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

But that would break Dean's heart.

:p

2/18/2007 03:16:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Dance, i don't want mine, he can have it. LOL

2/19/2007 09:09:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

Trollop, I know what you mean. They're all the same. It's all the same.

I'm not into soccer or football but I do love the players. What stamina those boys have! LOL!

2/20/2007 04:55:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isabella -- "Shake your hot booty, babe" at least that's what he told me.

2/20/2007 07:34:00 PM