Sunday, February 18, 2007

Miss Potter

A small post to tell you guys how much I enjoyed this movie. It’s a wonderful family film that will have you laughing, crying and grinning like a fool for the rest of the day.

Renée Zellweger did a great job as Beatrix Potter. She reminded me a bit of the role she played in Bridget Jones’s Diary; maybe it was the being single and British accent thing. In any case, it made me love her all the more for it. She did look rather ugly though, I couldn’t stop thinking about that! Was it intentional?

Loved Barbara Flynn as the crazy mother, and Emily Watson as the even crazier friend.

Here’s the synopsis and trailer of the film:


The true story of the woman who created some of the most beloved characters in children’s literature comes to the screen in this drama leavened with elements of comedy and romance. Beatrix Potter (Renée Zellweger) is a imaginative but gently eccentric woman living in the socially and intellectually confining circumstances of Victorian England. Potter’s wealthy parents are eager for her to marry a successful man and settle down, but she has ideas of her own, and has been writing and illustrating a series of stories for children centered around a character she calls Peter Rabbit. Potter’s efforts to find a publisher for her stories prove difficult, but in time she finds a firm who agrees to give her book a chance, and Norman Warne (Ewan McGregor) is put in charge of the project. While Warne is new to the publishing game, he believes Potter has great talent and potential, and throws himself into the work with enthusiasm. A strong personal bond grows between Potter and Warne, and in time he asks her to marry him; however, Beatrix’s parents do not approve of Norman, and she is forced to choose between her mother and father and the man she loves. Norman’s sister Mille (Emily Watson) urges Beatrix to follow her heart, and she accepts Norman’s proposal, but fate has other plans.


Labels: , ,


15 comment(s):

Blogger Harlot said...

Told ya see this one! It's not here yet, i want to see it too. Instead i saw a stupid movie last night, GHOST RIDER. Gah. Oh, i love Renee and this one looks really good.

2/18/2007 06:23:00 AM  

Blogger Nikky said...

Oh, this looks lovely! I doubt I will have a date to see it with, unless I drag one of my girlfriends to it, I believe it falls squarely into the category of 'chick film', but it does look good!

2/18/2007 11:05:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember watching the TV adaptations of her books when I was little! I didn't know that they were making a movie, but now I definitely have to see it!

2/18/2007 01:52:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Bunnies again! :D I had no idea this movie even existed. Thanks! I think I will have to see this one.

2/18/2007 03:20:00 PM  

Blogger Tisty said...

I MUST SEE THIS MOVIE! bet I don't though. I never do, not unless its six months later and the damn thing is released on DVD and i remeber I wanted to see it.

I'm currently writing (huh! if only I had the time) a story sort of based but not at all based on the life of BP and so I've read everything I can lay my sweaty little hands on. This movie would be a nice way to help visulise some of the things I'm having trouble with.

Sigh! If only i had a life and went to the movie theatre of occassion.

2/18/2007 03:22:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I love Renee Zellweger and Bridget. Trollop, you're right about Renee looking weird in the movie. It's probably deliberate because she was looking fine in the Golden Globes last month.

2/18/2007 07:57:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Speaking of Bridget, is it true there's going to be a third book? I'm not getting any Bridget news anymore.

2/18/2007 07:58:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

I didn't know Renee has a new movie out. Thanks Trollop!

2/19/2007 08:49:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

Lorelei, are you reading The Independent column? I stopped reading already. It's just not the same as the old Bridget... I'm guessing there's going to be a third film too?

2/19/2007 08:51:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Tisty, where have you been? Busy huh? :)

Is the Bridget Jones column still going? Did Bridget have the baby? Is it really Daniel's? Only read like 4 i think..

2/19/2007 09:07:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Btw, Dance, still haven't gotten the books. :S Will get them tomorrow. And thanks for the Robin McKinney new book info!

2/19/2007 09:08:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Did Renee got nominated for this movie? I saw it last week and loved it!

2/19/2007 01:04:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Renee is one of the great actresses in Hollywood. It's a shame about what happened with Kenny Chesney. Is she dating anyone lately? She deserves a happy ending, and so does Bridget!

2/19/2007 02:05:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I read somewhere that she was dating Bruce Willis, like a month ago. I'm not sure if that's true.

I love Renee. If Helen Fielding will indeed write another Bridget book, Hollywood would make it into another movie and I hope they won't fuck it up like they did with the second.

2/20/2007 03:25:00 AM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

I loved Miss Potter. Great movie! :D

2/20/2007 04:51:00 AM