Tuesday, January 30, 2007

BBC: Twilight (Day 2)

I have to say... I loved our discussion yesterday! :D (So happy everyone liked Twilight and MY Edward—HANDS OFF.). That after I came home from having an uber horrid Monday, got harassed at post office *sniff* (for the love of god, they thought I was a soup/cookie smuggler!!!—this is all Trollop’s fault! *grrr*) not to mention that when I opened blog I was surprised that Trollop had already started BBC when it was supposed to start today! (Had a little mix up. Our BBC discussions usually start on the last Monday of the month but, er, we did announce it was gonna be on the 30th. Sorry about that, folks. Again, Trollop’s fault.)

Anyway, we had quite a bit of talk about Alice and how exactly her powers work. We discussed Edward and his inability to read Bella’s mind and the itsy bitsy problemo of Edward and Bella having sex (uh-mm), and whether Edward is still a virgin or not. (I wonder how long it will take him to get a bed since, as we’ve been told, he only has a couch in his room—not that you can’t do it on the couch... Tee hee. ;P) At any rate, to continue our wonderful discussion, here’s our last batch of questions:
  • Edward tells Bella very little about the process of becoming a vampire. Why do you think he chose to keep this from her when he is very open about everything else? He also didn’t mention that vampires are venomous. Did it make you think twice since Edward kisses Bella?
  • Vampires are drawn to special humans; when those humans become vampires, their special qualities are enhanced. If that is the case, if Bella were to become a vampire, what would her trait be?
  • How did you feel about Edward’s confession that he drank from humans for a short period of time? Were you surprised, or were you more like Bella in thinking that it seemed reasonable?
  • Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it’s crazy to deny Alice’s visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella? Do you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her life behind, or do you think Edward is being sensible to tell her that her mortality is important and more natural than anything he could give her?
P.S. Thanks again to Dance for the recommendation!
P.P.S. Any suggestions as to what book we should have for February? ;)


Related:

Labels: , , ,


48 comment(s):

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

1. If it's up to Edward, he wouldn't want Bella to become a vampire. If she knows the process, I guess that would make it easier for Bella to just find a way to make herself into a vampire.

I have to admit this didn't occur to me. But I think vampires have to bite you to inject the venom, so unless Edward bit Bella while they're kissing, he doesn't have to worry about anything.

2. I have to think about this. I think this might be related as to why Edward can't read Bella's mind or why other vampires can't exercise their powers on her.

3. Vampire drinking from humans is their nature. I can't blame Edward for doing so. Besides, he only drunk from "bad people", not that it makes it alright to kill someone.

4. In Twilight, it wasn't explained much as to why Edward is so against Bella changing into a vampire. I thought he was being stupid about it to be honest. But after reading New Moon, I guess I can understand now Edward's reasons. Despite that, I still think it's best for everyone if Bella were to become a vampire.

1/30/2007 08:02:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

1. At first I didn't thought that Edward is that completely opposed to Bella changing. I thought he just didn't want to talk about it, that he was probably shielding her from some gruesome details of his past or something.

This is the first time I encountered a vampire story where vampires are venomous. Of course there's always the myth that when a vampire bites you, you'll turn into one too. Come to think of it, SM just paraphrased that concept. I mean when a vampire bites you, there has to be some kind of reason for the transformation.

2. Wouldn't it be funny if Bella carries her clumsiness with her LOL. And that would be worse since it'll be enhanced! She'll be the only ungraceful vampire. :P Bella is very perceptive, i think that would come through if she were to change. And that thingy she has of blocking vampire powers.

I'm a bit worried about her dependency to Edward. I mean, she usually depends on someone to be happy.

*NEW MOON SPOILERS*
In NM, when Edward left, she turns to Jacob and becomes dependent on him. Not a good thing when she has the tendency to jump off a cliff when she's lonely. :/
*END SPOILERS*

3. Like Jordis said, drinking from humans is what's natural for vampires. I think that time Edward was "rebelling", he probably experimented a bit (he was young then and with all that powers, i would probably have done the same thing). Edward is so noble, sometimes he's too perfect it's hard to take him. I think the question whether he drank from bad humans in his early days shouldn't be the point but that he actually returned to Carlisle's side to be a "vegetarian vampire" as they call it.

I know Jasper used to drink from humans but was it mentioned that the other Cullens had done the same thing? I mean i'm thinking when all of them had changed, they immediately started with the vegetarian lifestyle, as it's Carlisle who made them... That's why compare to the other vampires like Laurent, it was easier for the Cullens to fight off drinking from humans.

4. Since i read NEW MOON, won't answer this one. But do i think Bella should change right away? I know one of the things that makes the series more compelling is the star-crossed lovers theme and when Bella finally change the delicious tension would lessen a lot. Still, after reading TWILIGHT i was a little disappointed that Edward didn't bite her. Edward's reason in T wasn't enough for me as to why he is so adamant in changing Bella. I thought he was just trying to be noble or something. I don't think Bella would change much when she becomes a vampire anyway (besides the perks of course). Being mortal doesn't automatically makes one "human". It's what you do. Edward and the Cullens are more human than they give themselves credit.

After NEW MOON though, i understand where Edward stands now. But i still think Bella should be a vampire in the next book--crossing my fingers to this! Besides, they have no choice now after what happened in NM.

1/30/2007 09:28:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

1. It's because Edward doesn't want her to be a vampire. Although he could have scared her using the 3 day pain you'll experience while transforming. lol

2. It has to be related with her mind being close to other vampires. It gives her some defense against the others.

3. I wasn't surprised. I think it's reasonable and commendable that he actually made himself stop.

4. Maybe Alice showed Edward some really bad things happening if she were turned into a vampire. Lest I forgot that Bella isn't really into blood. I think she'll definitely have a problem with drinking it, and vampires, vegetarian or not, can't survive without blood.

I understand Edward's feelings but I feel for Bella's flight. Their relationship will never be normal if she were to be left human. No sex for one. ;p

1/30/2007 10:39:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Harlot, how come you are smuggling soup and cookies? lol jk

"Being mortal doesn't automatically makes one "human". It's what you do. Edward and the Cullens are more human than they give themselves credit."

I agree. I have to admit I was also disappointed when Bella didn't end up a vampire in Twilight. I thought it would happen after that fight with James when she was bleeding and dying. On that note, what happened to Victoria?

I really loved this book girls. I wouldn't have read it if not for BBC, so thanks for that! ;)

1/30/2007 10:46:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

1. Edward is dead set against Bella being a vampire but Bella is determined to become one. I didn't really thought about vampires being venomous when Alice told Bella that fact.

2. I think Bella could be an empath and feels other people's emotions. I'd hate to think what will happen to her if her clumsiness would be the one that gets enhanced. LOL

3. It's very reasonable considering he's a vampire. It must be hard on Edward though getting over what he had done in the past.

4. Alice's visions aren't perfect. Edward knows this and must be counting on that. A person's fate can change easily depending on our choices. I think this says a lot about how we're the captain of our destiny. Even God gave us the power to choose.

I'm with Bella though. I think she has to be a vampire or theirs a doomed relationship.

1/30/2007 12:19:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

LOL. I forgot about Edward not having a bed. I hope he'll be getting one soon. Preferably in Eclipse! :P

1/30/2007 12:30:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

For the next BBC book, what about The Time Traveler's Wife?

1/30/2007 12:33:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I'm not sure why Edward chose not to tell Bella. He didn't want her to get any ideas or maybe what happened when he turned was too painful.

I didn't realized about Bella getting venom through kissing until now that you pointed it out. Can you imagine if this is true? No sex and no kissing. That's too much! Well I guess Edward wouldn't hesitate in changing Bella if that's the case. LOL

Bella's ability to shield her thoughts is one of her strengths. I think this gift will be enhanced when she becomes a vampire. That or always falling down or tripping.

I'm also hoping for Bella to finally become a vampire in Eclipse. It's time and after what happened in Italy, she should join the Cullens, though I'm worried of what will happen with her ralationship with Jacob.

1/30/2007 12:43:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

NEW MOON SPOILERS
-
-
-
-
Speaking of Jacob, I wonder what will happen if Edward turns Bella into a vampire? I was surprised about what Jacob said in NM when he reminded Edward that the treaty is about the Cullens not biting a human. Biting, not killing. By the way, Jacob was so vindictive with the bikes. LOL.

1/30/2007 12:56:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Harlot, I knew you have a pirate gene in you somewhere. LOL.

I think it's very reasonable that Edward did that. It says a lot about his character that he stopped and been trying every since to curb his thirst.

I wonder how Carlisle did it. It must have been a lot harder for him than the others. Edward said Carlisle tried to starve himself. That's something I think, that he was so disgusted with what he had become he'd rather die. It didn't matter to him that the change comes with great powers.

I think Bella's trait will be related to her ability to shield her mind from vampires.

I agree with Danielle. Alice's visions are not perfect. I do think though that Bella has to change sooner or later or she and Edward won't have a chance.

1/30/2007 01:44:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I AM NOT SMUGGLING ANYTHING!

Anyway, *hmph* i can't imagine Bella drinking blood. I forgot about that dilemma of hers. That would surely be a problem when she becomes a vampire, which, if my lucky star permits, will be on the next book ECLIPSE. :P

I think Carlisle is wonderful in a calm, not brooding but still hot dashing type. I kept imagining him as this muy delicioso doctor that looks exactly like neighbor Dan. :P

1/30/2007 01:59:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Btw, for new comers/posters who have reead TWILIGHT and wants to join us, please don't be shy. ;) Trollop's not contagious despite her love of warts. :/

1/30/2007 02:05:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

How about your right foot, babe?

1/30/2007 02:09:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I like Neighbor Dan as Carlisle!

Carlisle plays an important role as to why the Cullens are the way they are. It's interesting how he actually lived in Italy with the other vampires who kill humans. Why did he chose to live with them in the first place?

1/30/2007 02:25:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Trollop, I hope nothing serious with your foot...

1/30/2007 02:26:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

1. I think it's because Edward didn't want to give Bella hope, that despite how horrible it must be, if you think about it, vampires have a lot of perks. I don't think experiencing pain for only 3 days is a negative thing for someone like Bella who WANTS to become a vampire.

2. I'm thinking it has something to do with her mind.

3. I wasn't surprised, I just assumed that when Edward was a young vampire he might have slipped like Jasper. Like Bella, I thought that it was reasonable.

4. Someone mentioned about fate, I have to agree. We're in charge of our own fate. I think Edward was banking on that. I can't blame him for wanting what he thinks is bes for Bella, he loves her. I don't agree with Edward though that keeping Bella as human is the best thing to do.

1/30/2007 03:11:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Edward NEEDS to get a bed!!!!!! I think he will get one soon. He has to ;P

1/30/2007 03:13:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I think Neighbor Dan is hot :) He can be Dr. Cullen.

1/30/2007 03:15:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said before that I'm not much for thinking about what a book means; normally, if not for the BBC, I'd be on to my next book and totally forgetting Twilight. But these questions make me think about things more, so this has been very interesting for me.

1. The more I think about it, the more I think Edward is still a bit embarrassed that he's a vampire, that he drinks blood, that's why he doesn't really talk to Bella that much about it.

2. Bella seems to spend a lot of time doing things for other people - moving to her dad's so her mom is happy, offering herself up in place of her mom, etc. How this would evolve as a vampire, I'm not sure.

3. I'm having a hard time reconciling what I've read/learned about vampires in other romances to what is being used here. So, the drinking from humans doesn't bother me, it's expected. But I can't quite figure out how they feed and how they turn a human to a vampire. I got the impression from Twilight that when they feed, they kill or the human gets turned to vampire. But also, do they sometimes just kill - why else where they so surprised/disgusted when Jason bit Bella? I guess other vampire books I've read have the vampires feeding without killing or turning the victim.

4. I think he is resistant to changing Bella because he thinks she is looking at turning in a romantic light, and who views more as a horrible thing, goes back kinda to my thoughts that he is embarrassed about being a vampire. At 17,I do think she is looking at it romantically, not thinking long-term, about what it means, but loves the thought of being in love.

1/30/2007 04:00:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I happen to like Jacob. He is very nice and sort of hot for 15, LOL, I can't believe I just said that. I was a little disappointed that the werewolf mythology was not explained well in NM.

1/30/2007 04:12:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I'm with 2ndamdt. This is why I like the BBC. It makes me think of things I don't usually notice whenever I read.

I forgot to ask, when exactly is Eclipse going to be released? It's not even listed in Amazon.

1/30/2007 04:25:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

1. Maybe he didn't see any reason to tell her, since, if he had his way, she wouldn't even want to be a vampire. And it would ruin the reveal when Bella gets bit.

2. No idea. Perhaps something to do with actively blocking other vampires' abilities or being able to shield others too.

3. I can't remember if I was surprised. I think I might have been more surprised at finding out that Carlisle had never killed a human. I wonder if Esme, Rosalie or Alice ever "fell off the wagon". We know Emmett has, and Jasper lived a different life before meeting Alice.

Edward's rebellion is mitigated somewhat, though, by only going after bad people. I wonder if Bella - and the readers - would have been so reasonable about it if he hadn't limited himself to murderers and such. I think it lets him be bad enough but doesn't quite cross a line into the greyer area.

4. I don't think Alice's visions always come true -- they can still change if someone does something differently. Didn't she also see Edward killing Bella at the beginning of the book?

Edward's main reason for keeping Bella human - to save her soul and hope of heaven - works for me. Meyer says that's the _only_ reason, but I sort of like to think that he's maybe also a little in it because he likes that she's human, that she blushes and the way she smells. Which will change if she's changed. And I like it better if he's not 100% noble or altruistic.

I don't think Bella should be changed right away. I think she should be changed even less quickly after New Moon because more complications arise there that I'd like to see resolved _before_ she's turned, if that happens at all. I kind of think it's inevitable and that's where the story is headed, but I don't want vampirism to be a panacea for Bella.

I do wonder at Carlisle, a little, because he didn't want to be a monster himself, and yet he's changed 3 people. Perhaps without their consent. He's a little more sanguine than Edward is, I think, about the state of his soul - that he/they might not be eternally damned because they're good vampires - but, while he's not running around creating more vampires willy-nilly, he has more or less sentenced 3 others to this unsure fate. Given his belief in God and the afterlife, I'd have thought he'd be more okay with them dying than being turned into a vampire.

1/30/2007 04:40:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

But I can't quite figure out how they feed and how they turn a human to a vampire. I got the impression from Twilight that when they feed, they kill or the human gets turned to vampire. But also, do they sometimes just kill - why else where they so surprised/disgusted when Jason bit Bella? I guess other vampire books I've read have the vampires feeding without killing or turning the victim.

It has to do with their venom. There's no blood-sharing involved, like in other stories. Once the venom gets into a human's (or other animal, apparently) bloodstream, the changing process starts, but if the vampire drinks too much blood, the person tends to die. The only options for them are kill or turn their prey... Unless, I suppose, they were careful about it like Edward was when he was sucking out the venom and blood from Bella. But given what he says happens when they're out hunting, I think most vampires wouldn't have that much restraint, especially once they're into an artery.

when exactly is Eclipse going to be released?

October 2007. Not sure of the exact date.

I like Jacob, too. NM Spoilers:
*
*
*

My biggest issue with the mythology is that it's rather unclear about the vampires and werewolves, casting IMO the werewolves in unfavourable light. Because if all vampires are redeemable like the Cullens are, it sort of makes the werewolves murderers... And I'm not sure we're supposed to view them that way.

*
*
*
End Spoiler

Book for Feb: Someone mentioned The Time-Traveler's Wife - I think that one would be interesting. Or, a McKinley ;-).

1/30/2007 04:52:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

NEW MOON SPOILER
.
.
.
.

I'm not into Jacob. He's nice and all but he comes between Bella and Edward. I also don't like what Sam does, he controls those boys!

1/30/2007 05:01:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I think when Bella is changed, all conflicts will be gone, SM would probably end the series. But then again, maybe not. It would be interesting to see how Bella will cope up being a vampire.

I wonder if SM would actually explain how vampires came into being, like Anne Rice has done with Queen of the Damned. That would be interesting too.

1/30/2007 05:04:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Anyway, *hmph* i can't imagine Bella drinking blood. I forgot about that dilemma of hers. That would surely be a problem when she becomes a vampire...

Maybe it'll make it easier for her to stay away from eating humans. I don't think she's a vegetarian, so perhaps animal blood won't make her pass out.

At 17,I do think she is looking at it romantically, not thinking long-term, about what it means, but loves the thought of being in love.

I think so too. And, even after NM, I'm not convinced that Bella has thought it through or seen the downside/realities to being a vampire, even a Cullen-type vamp.

There's something static about vampires - they're going to look the same forever, not lose their physical or mental abilities... - and in the Cullens' case, I get the feeling that turning into a vampire also cements ones' relationship(s). I mean, they're all paired off and apparently "Love" - or turning into a vampire - "means never having to say your sorry." ;-)

Bella seems so young to me, and very much in love for the first time... and maybe wants everything to stay just the way it is, forever, which for her means turning into a vampire. But I don't know how likely it is that relationships stay the same - surely, her relationship with Edward will change, not only in the physical sense ;-) , if she's turned into a vampire. Especially, I'd think, if she somehow turns into one without Edward's approval -- Bella has the ultimate say, of course, but Edward's part of the relationship too.

I can't help but think that the only reason Bella wants to be a vampire is to be with Edward forever. And as romantic as that notion is, it's also a bit of a weak reason, for me.

NM Spoilers
*
*
*

Even after being horrified at the Volturi's eating practices and Gianna's (their human secretary/receptionist) desire to be on of them, Bella still wants to be a vampire. It's like there's a disconnect for her between what the Volturi are and what the Cullens are. Whereas I think Edward doesn't see that there's much distinction at all. And I'm more inclined to side with Edward here. It doesn't seem to me that Bella has even thought of the possibility that she might end up liking blood and vampiric power a little too much.

1/30/2007 05:18:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I think Edward mentioned that he didn't remember much of becoming a vampire. He remembered lots of pain, but not much else. Since people kisses people who are infected with sexually transmitted diseases, you kind of take it in stride when reading a book. That's where I stand. I, of course would think twice, hot as Edward is.

Bella's talent would become more observant. Remember how many times Edward remarked on this? That and of hurting herself. Since she tripped on herself a lot...and that is a trait....can you imagine her as a bumbling vampire?

I am not surprised. He's a vampire isn't he? Don't they prefer to eat human blood, much like a regular normal human eat chicken? or steak?

Ok, baby always cries just when I get to the good parts...I thought he was napping.

ugh!

1/30/2007 05:42:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

I don't think the Young Adult label should be the reason not to have sex in the series. Stephenie Meyer's belief is another matter however. There's this YA book by Judy Blume that has a lot of sex in it. I'm pretty sure there are other YA books that includes sex scenes. In any case, when Bella and Edward finally do it, how would it happen? It has always been mentioned that vampires are hard all over. Are they always hard down there as well? I have to ask... :P

1/30/2007 05:44:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I thought Eclipse will be out in late August. That's what it says on SM's website.

1/30/2007 07:36:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Jolie. LMAO.

This vampire mating in SM's world is unclear to me, but I keep thinking vampires must be great lovers. They have to be.

1/30/2007 07:39:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

1. I think since Edward is completely against Bella turning into a vampire, he doesn't see the reason why he should talk about something he doesn't want to happen anyway.

Speaking of kissing, what is it with the electric current that runs between Bella and Edward? I don't think SM explained the reason behind it. Do Rosalie and Emmett, Alice and Jasper, Carlisle and Esme experience the same thing?

2. I think it would be Bella's ability with her minds and how she can feel things around her, or has a vibe about things that are going to happen. I'm thinking she can be a good tracker like James.

3. Vampires drink human blood, I think it's reasonable. I guess Edward's decision to only drink from murderer or criminals at least lighten the act.

4. Alice visions are flawed. She even admitted it herself. I think Edward must be relying on that fact that if he tries enough, Bella won't be a vampire.

I would like to see Bella finally turn into a vampire so she and Edward can be together, but I'm afraid (someone mentioned it already) that it would be the end of the series. I wonder if SM plans on ending the series with Bella turning or she'll write at least one book with Bella already a vampire.

1/30/2007 07:53:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

Last time I checked it was Oct. Maybe they moved up the release date!

According to SM, her vampires can have sex. I still don't understand how it all works since their bodies are supposed to be all frozen and none of their physiological systems work... but I suppose if there's a will, there's a way ;-) .

Speaking of kissing, what is it with the electric current that runs between Bella and Edward?

I thought that was a way to show a lot of attraction between them. Or maybe static electricity.

I wonder if SM plans on ending the series with Bella turning or she'll write at least one book with Bella already a vampire.

I might be mis-remembering, but I think SM has said _if_ Bella turns into a vampire it doesn't necessarily mean the series will end, but narrators may change.

1/30/2007 08:00:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

"I think so too. And, even after NM, I'm not convinced that Bella has thought it through or seen the downside/realities to being a vampire, even a Cullen-type vamp."

I don't know. Bella is young but she's mature for her age I think. She takes care of Charlie and I think she's even more mature than Renee. She knows what she wants and she wants Edward.

I think what Bella feels for Edward is true and that it will last. There might be some changes of course but they can both handle it. And what is wrong with wanting to be with Edward forever? She loves him so much that she's even willing to give her soul - which is very romantic but gives me the creeps.

1/30/2007 08:12:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

There's a will there's a way. I like that. :P I sound like a perv! LOL

"I might be mis-remembering, but I think SM has said _if_ Bella turns into a vampire it doesn't necessarily mean the series will end, but narrators may change."

I like this idea. I would love to see Alice be the narrator. I have to admit her relationship with Jasper was very weird to me while reading Twilight, I just don't see anything from the two of them, but New Moon (which I finished in one night!) does clears up some confusion. I really like this series. I'm glad the BBs decided on this book :)

Speaking of BBC, I second the Time Traveler's Wife. Or maybe The Kite Runner.

1/30/2007 08:20:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I'm sorry if this is OT but I was browsing SM's website and saw who she says would be great to play Bella: Emily Browning, the girl who plays Violet in the movie Series of Unfortuante Events. I think she is PERFECT.

Now about the weird mating habits of vampires, this I'm very interested in :P. I didn't really give it a thought until someone mentioned that vampires are frozen (I think it's Dance who said it). I wonder if this is one of the reasons why they have to drink blood. They probably need blood not just for food but also for other activities that require some blood flow. Like sex.

Didn't Edward say they only hunt every week? Does this mean they can only have sex once a week?

1/30/2007 08:35:00 PM  

Blogger mel said...

I haven't picked up my copy of Twilight since, um... about a month or two after i bought it, so i am going to have to sit out of the discussion. But a february book- Posh, by Lucy Jackson. I just finished it, and it is truely fab.

1/30/2007 09:54:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

1. I think it's because of Edward not wanting Bella to be a vampire. Or maybe he didn't her to have some idea. We all know Bella when she gets ideas...

2. It's probably something with her mind. Or maybe since she can smell blood, she will be able to sense people who are in danger.

3. I think it's reasonable. What's important is he doesn't do that anymore.

4. Edward is really opposed to Bella turning into a vampire. He knows that Alice visions can be changed.

I think Bella has to change soon. She has to, but maybe not until the last book.

1/31/2007 06:26:00 AM  

Blogger Petra said...

I was thinking in other vampire stories they drink from each other. I wonder if in SM's world, vampires do that.

1/31/2007 06:28:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

I was thinking in other vampire stories they drink from each other. I wonder if in SM's world, vampires do that.

I don't think so. They don't have fangs and their skin turns into a diamond/granite-like substance after the transformation. Sex and blood/feeding don't seem to go together for SM's vampires.

We don't even know if they bleed or what happens if they get injured. If they can even be injured without being killed or losing limbs, in the first place.

Re sex

I don't know if they can control their blood flow. McKinley's vampires (in Sunshine) apparently can, although it might also be a partly involuntary reaction. But they're also able to self-regulate their own body temperature and such. While SM's vampires are not... Maybe instead of blood, they're full of venom? Like it somehow gets changed after they drink it. But I still don't know how that would make things work.

1/31/2007 11:21:00 AM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Well, in Linda Lael Miller's vampire, they can defy gravity and it gives the mile high club a new location.

I wonder if Edward can float as he does it, you know. I thought that was pretty cool....althought if they're floating, how satisfying is it when it comes to pumping because you know...you kind of need gravity for that part of it....althogh not for the rest of it.

I am thinking maybe Ms. Meyer might not let them have sex...after all, Harry Potter made it to book six still a virgin, unless I've missed a scene here or there, or Jim Dale didn't read it aloud to me.

LOL

1/31/2007 12:08:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

RE: I was thinking in other vampire stories they drink from each other. I wonder if in SM's world, vampires do that.

Yes, do vampires in TWILIGHT bleed? I mean we usually read/see vampires drinking from each other (even in Buffy!). I think they probably do. Humans bite each other, what more for vampires. Especially during sex. :P Just saying, that's very natural.

As for the sex, dunno... There's got to be some explanation for the blood flow that's needed, er, down there...

I wonder if these vampires mate forever like penguins? They appear like when you're mated, you're stuck forever. Didn't Edward mention that's what Carlisle intended for Edward and Rosalie?


Shosh,
There's got to be sex! I think there would be after they get married. I hope so. ;)

1/31/2007 08:38:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

RE:If they can even be injured without being killed or losing limbs, in the first place.

Didn't Edward suffered some injuries in Italy? I'm still not sure as to how you can kill vampires. Edward did mention that they are hard to kill.

1/31/2007 09:59:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

***NEW MOON***
I was so surprised when I googled Voterra and saw it really exists!

Here's what I got:

Volterra, town (1991 pop. 12,879), Tuscany, central Italy. A powerful Etruscan town, it later (12th–13th cent.) was a free commune and passed to Florence in the 14th cent. Of note are well-preserved Etruscan gates and tombs, medieval walls, a Romanesque cathedral, and the Palazzo dei Priori (13th cent.). The powerful fortress (built 14th–15th cent.) is now a prison. There is an Etruscan museum in the town.

I thought SM just invented it. On that note, those Volturi scare me. I know they are the oldest known vampires, royalty, but I wonder if they are they the reason why vampires exist.

1/31/2007 10:01:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

NM SPOILERS
*
*

Didn't Edward suffered some injuries in Italy? I'm still not sure as to how you can kill vampires. Edward did mention that they are hard to kill.

Not any physical ones, IIRC. Jane got into his head and made him think he was in pain, but other than that he wasn't hurt. So far, none of them have had anything damage their skin.

I think this is one of the things Meyer said she was expanding on in Eclipse.

So far, we haven't seen her vampires bleed. I don't know what would cut through their skin; it's supposed to be marble/granite-like. Maybe they're like Emma Frost when she turns into a diamond.

I think what's been in canon so far is that vampires can kill other vampires, and werewolves can kill vampires, but we haven't seen how they do it or how much mess it makes. I get the feeling they don't go "poof" like the Buffyverse vamps.

Didn't Edward mention that's what Carlisle intended for Edward and Rosalie?

I don't know about the mating for life (although it does seem likely), but Carlisle did intend for Rosalie and Edward to hit if off. Which is kinda creepy, I think, in the "mail-order bride" sense. I mean, I wonder how it happened. Did Edward spot her and ask if he could have her? (and then change his mind once he got to know her) Did Carlisle turn her just for Edward? Was she dying? I also wonder what her family did when they discovered she had disappeared because I'm pretty sure unlike Edward and Esme, Rosalie still had a living family.

I think the Volturi are scary too. I wonder what their relationship is with Carlisle, that he's part of the reason they were unwilling/hesitant to kill Edward.

2/01/2007 01:38:00 AM  

Blogger Isabella said...

"I think what's been in canon so far is that vampires can kill other vampires, and werewolves can kill vampires, but we haven't seen how they do it or how much mess it makes."

Wasn't it mentioned that they cut James into pieces? What if you just cut their heads off, that usually works on other vampire stories. I do remember Edward saying you have to burn them too. Man, they really are invincible, aren't they?

I didn't know Rosalie still had a family living when she was turned. Imagine what will happen to Bella when she becomes a vampire. Is it forbidden to contact your living family if you ever become a vampire? I know a vampire is forbidden to expose their secrets to humans that's why Bella is now in trouble with the Volturi, but does your family count into that rule too?

Carlisle is such a mystery. He doesn't say much. Why is he friends with the Volturi anyway? Why he lived with them is also something I don't understand. The Volturi don't come across as tolerant creatures to me, like they kill those who don't agree with them. The fact that Carlisle is oppose to drinking/killing humans surely grates on their nerves. I wonder if they owe Carlisle something.

2/01/2007 09:05:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

Wasn't it mentioned that they cut James into pieces? What if you just cut their heads off, that usually works on other vampire stories. I do remember Edward saying you have to burn them too. Man, they really are invincible, aren't they?

Yes. And we still don't know if they can bleed ;-).

Is it forbidden to contact your living family if you ever become a vampire? I know a vampire is forbidden to expose their secrets to humans that's why Bella is now in trouble with the Volturi, but does your family count into that rule too?

I would think so. If not for the Volturi, then so that one doesn't eat one's family, at least for the first year or so, when the transition is the most difficult - if one wants to live the Cullen lifestyle, that is.

IIRC, Rosalie still had both parents and a few siblings alive... She never saw them again after she was turned. Of all of them, I think she's the most conflicted about being a vampire - which is why she voted no on Bella becoming one.

I wonder if they owe Carlisle something.

Me too. Or if Carlisle has some power we don't know about that would make the Volturi respect/fear him. Unless the Volturi are more benevolent than they seem and allow vampires to come and go from their group as they please. I sort of got the feeling that once you're in, you can never leave, but maybe that isn't the case, for vampires anyway.

2/01/2007 10:32:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

RE: Carlisle is such a mystery... I wonder if they owe Carlisle something.

Me too. I wonder what is it Carlisle. Also agree with Dance about the feeling "once you're in you can never leave." And what's with the creepy onion skin? :S Does that mean that all vampires, if they get to the Volturi's ages, they would have the same? Euw...

Aro is pretty amusing, compared to the other 2. You know who reminds me of Aro while he's interrogating Bella? Ralph Fiennes as Voldy in HP4. LOL. In my mind, they look the same! RF is fantastic, brilliant BRILLIANT in HP4. The way he sorta glides, so graceful yet seem so deadly and powerful, it was perfect.

About Rosalie, what i don't understand about her is why she's so jealous of Bella. I think she's probably the most beautiful creature in TWILIGHT. And what's with her bitterness about being a vampire. I wonder if she wasn't supposed to get changed but Carlisle needed someone for Edward or something. But that's it? That's the only reason why? Just to be Edward's mate?

I wonder if she ever felt anything for Edward hence the jealousy. I mean, who knows what happened when she was turned. Maybe it was Edward who rejected her. Oh yikes LOL.

2/01/2007 11:09:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I'm so sorry I didn't get to join in on the discussion... I had to finish a lot of school papers...

I love Edward Cullen, lol. I love everything about him, including his crooked smile. One thing that bothers me about him is the way he keeps pulling Bella in and then pushes her away. It must be hard to fight something as inevitable as what Bella and Edward have, and God knows it's hard to fight temptation off, but does he have to do that? It's like, make up your mind, either be with me or not! But I guess it proves that not even Edward is perfect, even when one might think he is... Is it sad that I'm in love with a fictional character? Hahaha...

At the end of Twilight, I was a little disappointed that he didn't turn Bella, that he wants her to have a normal life (like that's possible). But I guess I kind of understand why he tries to give her what he thinks is best for her.

The Volturi scares me too. I think it's given that they would cause a lot of problem for the Cullens and Bella.

.....NEW MOON SPOILERS.....
.
.
.
.
.
Edward said he will be the one to turn Bella into a vampire. At the end, Jacob reminds him about the treaty and that it entails bitting not killing a human. This reminds me of Carlisle. I was really surprised when he volunteers to turn Bella himself. I thought he would have taken Edward's side. And this brings us back to the treaty. He surely knows that if he bites Bella, he'll break the treaty with the werewolves yet he still voted against Edward. I wonder what Carlisle is planning to do...

2/05/2007 12:46:00 AM