Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Nora, Nora, Nora

For months now, everybody and their grandmother have been talking about Nora Roberts. I never paid much attention to be honest, as I’ve yet to read her. Also, I’ve already been hoodwinked by “the best romance ever” Outlander hype and not in a hurry to be made a fool of twice! Okay, that’s not entirely correct LOL. I believe I read her once, but can’t even remember the title of the book so unsure if it was even her. :/ (Give me a fucking break, that was 5 years ago!)

Judith McNaught’s Something Wonderful introduced me to romance, and I glommed historicals after that. Until I came upon Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNobody’s Baby but Mine. After reading every SEP I could find (even the god-awful ones!), I asked a bloke from the bookstore which contemporary romance author I should read. He gave me Nora (who has her own bookshelf! *gasp*) and told me she was an uber bestseller. Sadly, I compared Nora to SEP, who writes wonderful humorous love stories—which, at the time, were the only kind I was interested in. It’s all SEP’s fault, really! (Yep, I totally blame SEP! LOL)

I haven’t picked up another Nora since, but now I’m thinking is the perfect time to get reaquainted with her work. *g* Four of her novels were made into Lifetime Original Movies, and I have to say: I want to see those! LOL Well, I’ve never-ever seen a romance book adapted into a movie, and with that pic of her with John Corbett, I can’t help but be verra curious. Especially when she makes comments like: “I will be making cameo appearances in each of the movies. See if you can spot me.” Hmm, wonder if Nora and John have a little kissing scene or something... Tee hee. :P

Check out her site for more details, or go directly to Lifetime for a synopsis, cast bios, photos, etc, and an interview with Nora. In any case, here’s the schedule:

Jan 29 - Angels Fall
Feb 5 - Montana Sky
Feb 12 - Blue Smoke
Feb 19 - Carolina Moon

Since I live in Far Away Land where nothing good ever gets aired on time, (the injustice! *sniff*) all of you Nora fans, do keep me posted on what you think of the movies, okay? Also, what book of hers should I begin reading (she has like a gazillion books!)? What’s your favorite Nora? I need recommendations, my good ladies!

P.S. Thanks, Milan, for this bit. :)

Labels: , ,


31 comment(s):

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I second the MacKade series recommendation. Actually I prefer her writing as JD Robb. IMO her In Death books are better than any of her books under her real name (except for Montana Sky which is my favorite NR)

I'm definitely going to see the movies. Heather Locklear, that girl from Meet Joe Black... looks good.

1/23/2007 11:07:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Harlot, I think everyone would see Nora kissing John Corbett. LOL!

What about her Irish trilogy? Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon, Heart of the Sea. I loved the Gallaghers and if you decided to get them, I recommend reading the books in order.

1/23/2007 11:54:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

*Everyone would love to see...

1/23/2007 11:56:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

First of all, congrats on your 250 000! :D

And on to NR:

Maybe I've been reading the wrong NR books because, while I haven't come across any I hated (certainly not to the extent to which you feel for Outlander ;-) ) or even any I was really disappointed in, I haven't found one that I really loved either. And I've read quite a few of them: Montana Sky, Carolina Moon, The Reef, the aforementioned Irish trilogy, the latest flower trilogy and several others, the titles of which I cannot remember (though I think I'd remember the plots/characters if I saw them again).

I read some of the JD Robb books - actually, more than some; it was all the way to Portrait in Death and sort of got bored with it. Not sure why except I think NR's writing style just doesn't fascinate me as much as other authors do. It was never on my auto-buy list, either, and I usually waited until my library had an available copy to read it.

She's sort of one I'd read if I didn't have anything else to read at the moment, with the expectation of a good story but not one I'd really get lost in or think about much after. Plus her backlist is daunting (makes 15 books in a series look like nothing ;-) ), I wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to go on a NR binge.

1/23/2007 12:17:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

The last Nora Roberts book I read was the 3rd one from Circle trilogy. I didn't like that one. If I have to choose which NR book I like the most, it's Naked in Death (J.D. Robb).

I'm not really a NR fan. Like most of romance lovers I read her books but I don't get excited whenever she has a new book out, etc. Of course that doesn't mean I won't watch the movies. LOL. Besides, John Corbett is in Montana Sky! I loved him in Sex and the City.

1/23/2007 01:08:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

Angels Falls is pretty good. And Heather Locklear will play Reece! I wonder how much did Nora receive for the four movies. :P

1/23/2007 01:15:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I should read the comments first before posting. Totally agree with Dance. LOL.

1/23/2007 01:16:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

Of all the Nora Roberts books I have read, HIDDEN RICHES is my favorite. It's funny, sexy,with well-developed characters and good dialogue. I wish they made it into a movie as well. What's not to love about Dora and the hot cop Jeb? And Dora's family is funny. There's intrigue, some suspense, romance... It should have been a movie!

1/23/2007 01:36:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

God, I hang my head in shame...I've never read Nora. Howevedr, she's very nice. I met her at RWA in Dallas and didn't even know who she was :)

As to the movies--I see the trailer on lifetime for them ALL the time. Heather Locklear is in one--don't know if I'll get the chance to watch, but I know my mom will. LOL

DC :)

1/23/2007 01:43:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Hidden Riches too, and her Dream trilogy: Daring to Dream, Holding the Dream, Finding the Dream.

Nora Roberts has a LOT of books. It's easy to get confused with all the titles and all the trilogy and which one is connected to which...

As for the movies, I have no idea who that actor is in Carolina Moon, but he's a cutie. :P

Olly

1/23/2007 02:17:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

The Born In trilogy.

Harlot, Nora Roberts' books are usually reprinted in sets, usually her trilogies (3 in 1 edition). If by chance these are the books available to you, make sure you don't get the abridged versions. They suck!

1/23/2007 03:02:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Olly, that's Kate Hudson's brother Oliver. He is a cutie :P.

1/23/2007 03:03:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Nora. I mean she's not uber good like your "Bronze Horseman" or bad as the latest Madeiros, but she delivers entertainment.

She's the best there is for sisters or brothers series.

My favorite of hers are:
Montana Sky
Three Fates
The McGregor series (I love those families)
And the Cheesapeake series too.
Most of her series are worth reading.

I think Carolina Moon was "blah!" Although I am going to read it again. My sister gave me the hardcover book of that. And with the movie, I'm definitely going to read it again.

1/23/2007 03:29:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nora Roberts is so popular even my mom who doesn't read romance knows her. It is quite shocking especially when I don't like her books. I just don't think she's good.

1/23/2007 03:52:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Montana Sky is good, and with the sexiest hero! I think I'm going to record Montana Sky. If it turns out to be good, I can watch it any time I want to. :P

1/23/2007 04:25:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I'm with Olly about the Dream series. I haven't bought a newly released Nora book for years since she started having them in hardcover. Why do authors do this now? I know a hardcover is more profitable, but still, the price is too much and what if the book sucks? You end up buying a 17-20 dollars book that you will never read again.

1/23/2007 05:31:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay I'm delurking to pimp the Quinn/Chesapeake Bay series. They are some of my all time favourite books and reread them frequently. Montana Sky completely creeped me out and it took a lot for me to finish that book (I'm a wuss and the bad guy was REALLY bad and did REALLY icky things). The one she wrote about the magician/thieves was great too as I like a bad boy type hero.

One of the reasons I love your blog is that you didn't get Outlander either. I have had so many people tell me this is a wonderful book, but I have tried three times to read it and can't get past the first 20 pages or so. I just want to kick the heroine and the hero hasn't even shown up.

Chez

1/23/2007 06:23:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I love Nora Roberts. My favorites: Dream series, Quinn series, Born series, Montana Sky. If I'm not mistaken Hidden Riches is connected with the 3 Dream books.

I didn't like Carolina Moon either, but it would be interesting to see if the movie would be good.

How tall is John Corbett or Nora is a tiny lady?

1/23/2007 06:35:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I loved the 3 Quinn brother books but not Chesapeake Blue. That one is baaaad and a bit contrived. After the 3 books, I wanted to know about Seth's story but Nora should have stopped after Inner Harbor. What happened to Aubrey? And Drusilla? What kind of a name is that? She sounds like a villain in some movie! Or Buffy!

1/23/2007 07:02:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nora must be a peanut or that handsome hunk is perfect....for me :D

I used to read Nora's and may try the McKade series. I remember the FATES series and that was when I stopped.

1/23/2007 08:32:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never actually read any NR except for one short in a Christmas collection. I automatically walk past her shelves, probably because Danielle Steele has shelves too and I therefore make assumptions. i might have to check out one or two on the Lifetime list before the movies. Thanks for the info!

1/23/2007 11:35:00 PM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Re: I just want to kick the heroine and the hero hasn't even shown up.

Chez, count your blessings! Claire is adorable compared to that vile abusive fuck Jamie Fraser!!!!!!

I´ve read some NR´s and they´ve all been good with the excpt. of Born in Fire (the hero was fav but the heroine drove me up the wall, and what´s up with the stuff she wore?!?! UGHHH).

Harlot, I´ve told you over and over GET HONEST ILLUSIONS!!!!!! I really liked that one *g*

BTW, reading BBC and loving it (so far!) and another book called Going Down, its a bout a girl that prostitutes herself through NYU acting school, its sad and sick but very entertaining LOL

After this will start reading Enoch, since I hear so many people raving about her stuff! :)

1/24/2007 05:53:00 AM  

Blogger Natalie said...

Gosh I just can't wrap my head around Nora's books either and I DO keep on trying - well maybe not hard enough! Both my Nan and my Mum love her books and are constantly trying to pimp them out to me ;-)

1/24/2007 06:49:00 AM  

Blogger T-girl said...

The absolute BEST NR books is "The Reef!" Followed by "Montana Sky" and a few others! But "The Reef" is... I love that book! I personally haven't liked some of the ones everyone raves about and her recent ones have lost a bit of umpft in my opinion. I really liked her OLDER triologies... The Quinn Brothers are hot. I also like her Irish Trilogies (both the Born in and Jewle of the Sun ones). My three faves though are "The Reef," "Montana Sky," and "Private Scandals"...OH! and "Rivers End!" I like her older stuff her newer stuff not so much! Good luck and let us know what you think- T

1/24/2007 10:43:00 AM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

Trollop! Jaime is NOT abusive for their standards. I mean this is the 1800 and all that smut. Of course, now we know better, but it would be an awful story if Jaime said to Claire. "I cannot touch you in anger Sasenach because the you might sue the pants off me!"

It wouldn't fit. Then Outlander wouldn't be a bestseller.

In context, it's just their times. Even today, we have a lot of losser who can only feel great about themselves if they squash someone down, or beaten their wives (may those assholes die a painful slow death).

So lay off Jaime already. He knew better later on...or if you read the series, you'd know he's not an abusive fuck.

OK...I could finished the last 5th of Drums of Autumn, but then war is not my thing...and there was just so much war planning for my taste.

1/24/2007 11:55:00 AM  

Blogger ... said...

But Drums has LJG and Wee Ian all growed up. :D

Harlot,

Apologies for being off-topic, but it's McKinley, you know. Are you still looking for a copy of Beauty? Because, I, um, went through a box of books yesterday, and apparently I have, er, 6 copies of this book. I swear I only remember buying 3 or 4 of them (different editions! How could I resist the pretty covers?).

I also have doubles of Rose Daughter (Beauty and the Beast, take 2 - though it's really quite different from Beauty) and The Hero and the Crown. I'm afraid to look in the other boxes, as I probably have multiple copies of all her other books too.

If you want them, let me know: fourfoothunter @ gmail.com (remove spaces).

1/24/2007 05:00:00 PM  

Blogger Maria said...

I haven't read Nora Roberts either. However being a huge Sex int he City fan... and "Aiden" *(he will always be Aiden to me)* lol there looking so so so cute! I'll watch and buy the book too!

All the best to you both!

M

1/24/2007 09:32:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart John Corbett. I think he is hott and loved him in Sex In The City. I miss that show :(

Never reas NR and I don't watch Lifetime.

1/24/2007 10:10:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Thanks you guys. I think for my first Nora, will get HONEST ILLUSIONS as i'll get strangled if i don't. Btw, i really don't like Aidan, gack, LOL but i think this pic of Nora and John is so cute!


Chez, Girly,
Welcome!


Natalie,
Did you get TWILIGHT already? Oh, i hope you get it soon. :) I know what you mean about having post problems!!!


Dance,
Ohhh, you are in trouble now. You see, i think it's bad luck to say no to free books. :P

1/25/2007 07:35:00 AM  

Blogger Natalie said...

Nope TWILIGHT’S not even arrived in the country yet, never mind been delivered!! I’m hoping that it comes VERY quickly once it hits my shores. :)

1/25/2007 03:43:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say, since I have read every nora book ever published that I can give some pretty good recommendations:

1.) Three Fates. The beginning chapter is FULL of backstory and it could get a bit tedious because its like a history lesson, but the rest of the book is PHENOMENAL. The men are SMOKING.

2.) The born trilogy is great but my personal favorite is the Chesapeake bay saga. Four men, four stories, four really hot romances.

3.) Hidden Riches is good, an oldie but a good one.

4.) Montana Sky. Its going to be one of the movies on lifetime and if you can, try to read it before the movie (just in case the movie sucks and it turns you off). This was one of the first Nora Books I had ever read and it made me completely fall in love with her.


5.) I am a huge fan of the McGregor's series. Its annoying that she didnt get a chance to finish (she switched publishers). But try out the series if you have read one or two of her other ones and if you like any of them.


P.S. Nora's books have two major flaws: 1.) She loves to give a ton of back story in the beginning of her books. Lots of insider information. Its hard to go on after starting with that but the rest of the book is usually great.

2.) The hero is perfect and the heroine is strong. Very few flaws. If you read a bunch of her books then you can tell that a lot of the characteristics are cookie cutter from one book to the next.

Nora's strong points? She tells one HELL of a story. And she's classic. Very classic romance. The man takes care of the woman. The woman fights it but in the end finds a way to take care of the man because he needs her too. There is a mystery complication in which the characters find themselves so its not just about the romance, either.


Anyway, I hope that was helpful!

Happy reading.

1/27/2007 10:35:00 AM