Sunday, January 21, 2007

How do you like your coffee?


It’s a beautiful Sunday morning here in Madrid. I’m sitting looking out the window (I have a fabulous view of the city) and sipping my morning coffee while I type this. In all honesty, Spanish coffee sucks, and today I made the mistake of adding too much water. *sniff* So I’m basically having coffee flavored water. *LOL*

I know Harlot doesn’t drink coffee (she drinks yucky stuff like tea *gag*), but what about the rest of you, do you like coffee? If so, how and when do you drink it? How much of it do you drink? And for god’s sake, what brand are you using because I have got to change mine!

I like mine black and strong with no sugar. I’ll usually have 2 or 3 8 oz. mugs in the morning but won’t have any more for the rest of the day, unless I’m pulling an all-nighter studying.

BTW, I can’t, for the life of me, understand decaf!

Labels: ,


51 comment(s):

Blogger The Periodic Englishman said...

Decaf is an abomination - as pointless as vegetarian bacon. Decaf is for shifty folk who can't help looking at themselves in shop window reflections and who say things like "my body is a temple" or "stop licking the tomato ketchup off the floor". Those sort of people.

I drink up to twelve cups of potently strong coffee a day and am properly addicted to the stuff. It makes me jittery and ill, but at least nobody can accuse me of treating my body like a temple. A trash can, maybe, but not a temple.

Go to Barcelona. It leaves Madrid for dead. And the wee cafe behind the food market on Las Ramblas serves coffee so strong it would make a priest kick a stained glass window. I'm just saying.

Kind regards etc

1/21/2007 07:49:00 AM  

Blogger ValVega said...

Englishman, OH GOD LOL!!!!!!

Yeah, no one can accuse me of treating my body like a temple either *the horror* It's barely noon and I'm already having a drink, after my gallon of morning coffee, of course! *g*

1/21/2007 07:52:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CAFFé!!!Aaaahhh...one of the best pleasures in life!But off course not all kind of coffes...as I'm italian I'm talking about the best one....CAFFé ESPRESSO!!So small but so tasty!I like it "macchiato" which means with a bit of cream on top and some chocolate powder,like it was a small cappuccino!:D

1/21/2007 07:58:00 AM  

Blogger Tine said...

Decaf is NOT coffee. What a ripoff! :P

1/21/2007 08:45:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I don't drink coffee, even with sugar in it. Even if you put Nutella in it! (But will scoop the Nutella off of it of course. ;P) In fact, i don't, for the life of me, understand the appeal of coffee. Gack. It tastes weird, it smells weird and it looks weird!!!

1/21/2007 11:24:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I am a Starbucks addict. I have this theory that Starbucks is not just a coffee chain. They put crack in their stuff I tell you.

It's embarrassing sometimes when you go to Starbucks. Even before you reach the front of the line, the barista already got your coffee fixed because he already knows what you like. Not only that, Starbucks is an expensive hobby! Definitely more expensive than crack. LOL!

1/21/2007 12:04:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need coffee every morning. I like a nice strong cup of black coffee with a little dash of sugar and a spoonful of cream.

I'm not a Starbuck's addict but their skim toffee nut latte or a 1/2 white, 1/2 dark hot chocolate is delicious. Yum :)

Olly

1/21/2007 12:15:00 PM  

Blogger reviewer said...

I'm a tea drinker :)

1/21/2007 12:28:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

I like coffee as long as it's 98% milk! I used to love coffee when I was in school. It's because the fucking vending machines at my university do not have tea machine dispenser.

Now I like tea better.

And is there really a difference between decaf and not because they all taste alike, except the yuckity-yuck stuff that Starbucks peddle. I can't understand why people flock there every day since their stuff is so aweful! And the headache.

They make nice hot chocolate drink though.

1/21/2007 12:31:00 PM  

Blogger Twinkie said...

Try a little chicory if you're ever feeling adventurous. It's dark and delicious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory

I'm enjoying a little coffee/chicory mix right now. Mmmm.

1/21/2007 12:41:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Trollop, I prefer black with a little sugar. I usually have 2 mugs of coffee each morning and one in the afternoon if I want a little boost.

Jordis, I love Starbuck's Grande Nonfat Caramel Machiato ;)

Harlot, how can you live without coffee?

1/21/2007 12:52:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Starbucks doesn't have a close idea of what coffee is!It's a mcdonalds of coffee....put all this stuff in it,and you don't even taste the coffee anymore!Bleah....

1/21/2007 12:55:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hey Twinkie!

Dunno, Vanessa, :/ no way i'm drinking that crap. Coffee and me just don't mix. Like celibacy really. :P

Rebelheart, if there's something i like in Starbucks (besides the comfy chairs) it's Chantico. Though it probably makes me gain 2 pounds each time i have it..

See, Trollop, listen to Chantal and Shosh. Tea is G-R-E-A-T! *hmph*

1/21/2007 01:20:00 PM  

Blogger Claudia said...

I'm with rebelheart....it's all about the espresso!! I actually like cuban coffee (it's a bit of a darker roast...) black with sugar! mmmm....
If you want to try it...see if you can find either Lavazza or Kimbo...
Enjoy!!

1/21/2007 01:21:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Every morning I need a mug of black coffee without sugar, otherwise, I won't function at all!!!

1/21/2007 01:27:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Claudia, I never had Cuban coffee. That sounds good :) Gosh, now I need my coffee fix. LOL

1/21/2007 01:29:00 PM  

Blogger Petra said...

I like my coffee with cream and sugar. I'm not particular and instant is fine.

Twinkle, I drink chicory too. Did you know it makes your liver healthy and it cleanse your blood?

1/21/2007 01:37:00 PM  

Blogger George said...

I can't stand coffee ... the taste is something I would imagine oil covered burnt rubber tastes like ... it's just not my cup of tea.

How about that for a segue? Tea is a wonderful, oh so easy to drink refreshment. Green or black.

Try Twinings for 20 or so different varieties (excluding those prisse herbal teas).

I love their Lady Grey.

1/21/2007 02:01:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Trollop, coffee is a life saver. I want it black and no sugar please.

Harlot, chocolate in coffee is kind of strange. LOL

1/21/2007 02:43:00 PM  

Blogger Twinkie said...

Petra,

I didn't know that until I Googled it today! Delicious and healthy? Who knew?

1/21/2007 02:50:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I like both tea and coffee. For my coffee, I prefer black, strong, a little dash of sugar and cream. As for Starbucks, I used to love carmel frappucino. As for teas, vanilla almond tea. Yummy!

1/21/2007 02:56:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

George, I haven't tried Fair Grey. I'm always looking for a good tea.

Twinkle and Petra, I haven't tried chicory either. LOL. Any good brand I should try?

1/21/2007 03:00:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Harlot on this one. I hate coffee. But then again, I hate tea too. It's not because my body is a temple. It's because coffee makes me want to puke, and there are so many other wonderfully tasty ways to ruin your body.

1/21/2007 03:17:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

Big coffee drinker. Imagine Lorelei from Gilmore Girls. LOL. I want my coffee black and no sugar.

1/21/2007 03:18:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I want black coffee and please NO SUGAR in the morning!

Chocolate and coffee? What about mocha? But I don't like the stuff. There's so much sugar, chocolate and milk in them you can't taste the coffee. If it still tastes like espresso and it's not too sweet, I like it.

1/21/2007 03:20:00 PM  

Blogger Michelle said...

Hi,

I drink Lowery's dark french roast. I usually have two or three cups in the morning and later in the day I like to relax with a cup of coffee to unwind. Decaf is not coffee ~smiles~.

1/21/2007 03:21:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Speaking of starbucks, I miss their gingerbread latte. Sigh.

1/21/2007 03:21:00 PM  

Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

Decaf is for girls who wear pink, frilly things. LOLLOLLOLLOL

I like strong coffee, but I do use cream and sugar. The worst coffe I've ever had was in Romania. it isn't coffee, it's SLUDGE. LMAO

And if my body is a temple, my temple resides in a bad part of the neighborhood. Tee hee :)

DC :)

1/21/2007 03:34:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Flogers. 5 tbs in the filter and 10 cups of water in the pot. Perfect. ;)

1/21/2007 03:42:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I forgot to mention I like Fortune's coffee, dark roast. I love the Tanzania Peaberry, followed closely by their Nicaraguan and Burgh Blend.

1/21/2007 03:49:00 PM  

Blogger Twinkie said...

Polly,

I like this in the "regular" variety:
http://shop.cafedumonde.com/coffee.html

Happy sipping!
Twinkie (like the cream filled snack, although I do "twinkle" on occasion) ;-)

1/21/2007 03:50:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Twinkie,

Thanks! And not so bad, only $6. :)

Polly (I want to think I also twinkle on occasion LOL) ;p

1/21/2007 03:54:00 PM  

Blogger Maria said...

I absolutely love love love coffee! If I could I would hook up an IV and inject it into myself. So as for what kind of coffee... I like Lavazza for espresso and Starbucks or something Columbian like Seattle's Best or anything strong! ~M

1/21/2007 03:57:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I forgot about Seattle's Best. I love their coffee.

1/21/2007 04:50:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Oh I love Seattle's Best hot chocolate. Isn't Seattle's Best now owned by Starbucks? Starbucks is taking over the world...

1/21/2007 05:16:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like my coffee with a little bit of sugar in it. Black is too strong for me. But I do love tea as well.

Decaf coffee is the stupidest thing ever; why bother? You might as well drink milk instead.

1/21/2007 05:19:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Mikal, so true! LOL!

I usually wake up and drink 1-2 cups of coffee. There's this place in NYC called Porto Rico Importing Co and they roast their own beans, have weekly specials, low regular prices, etc. They have roast coffees, decafs, flavored coffees, etc. Great selection of teas too. They offer mail order so it's great. I love their Espresso Roast Italian Espresso. The tastiest coffee I ever have. I also like their French Roase Mocha and Java Blend, and Tanzanian Peaberry.

1/21/2007 05:31:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Trollop, (and for others who might want to try Porto Rico), here's their webiste - http://www.portorico.com/ :)

1/21/2007 05:33:00 PM  

Blogger Tisty said...

A person can only have one life long and abiding passion , and I'm sorry I've sold my soul to chocolate.

Besides can't stand coffee. Its bitter and nasty nasty!! Tea isn't all that much better, although if I'm forced into the old "would you like a tea or coffee" politness I take a tea. At least I can swollow that.

I used to love the twinnings queen Mary. It was so mild it barely tasted like Tea!!

1/21/2007 05:57:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Harlot, I don't like coffee either. I prefer tea. I like green tea, candy cane, mariage frères, even lipton.

1/21/2007 06:20:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle, I like Lowery's too! And they have that caramel hazelnut coffee that I just love.

Olly

1/21/2007 06:47:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I love the smell of coffee, but not so much how it tastes, unless there's a lot of milk and sugar in it. I don't drink it regularly, and once in a while even drink (gasp!) decaf - honestly, I can't tell the difference, taste-wise, and I don't always like/want the caffeine rush. I like tea, too, but I also don't drink it very often.

Strangely enough, I feel the same way about bacon - really like the way it smells (sometimes) but won't eat it because I don't like the taste.

1/21/2007 06:49:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big coffee drinker but I need one every morning. Starbucks is usually my source of coffee as I'm too lazy to make my own.

1/21/2007 07:44:00 PM  

Blogger Nikky said...

I like coffee, with a bit of sugar, but in the morning, it's so much easier to grab a diet pepsi from the fridge than mess with making coffee. guess I'm not terribly addicted to it, huh?

I do like Starbucks frappachino tho (french vanilla, of course) now that I can get it in darn near every convenience store on earth!

1/21/2007 08:39:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL..i have my one cup of decaf wearing my frilly tutu and faux rhinestone tiara with lots of milk. i love coffee but i'm not allowed caffeine so i just fake it and i cheat anyway with the caffeine because i'll drink a cup of English breakfast tea or Earl gray after that. In the afternoons, i'll have either chamomile tea (which my friends' call 'dirt' or 'grass' tea or green tea.

1/21/2007 09:49:00 PM  

Blogger Jo said...

I have been drinking coffee as long as I can remember. When my parents were out of town, I would stay with my grandmother. For a bedtime snack we got really watered down coffee and cookies (don't really understand that though). If I was sick and at her house she gave me coffee to settle my stomach (don't understand that either). So of course I drink coffee. Sometime when I want to go to bed I drink decaf. I like the taste of coffee so if I don't need to stay awake and I want some decaf is perfect! But my all time favorite caffeinated drink?? CHAI TEA LATTE! MMMMMMMMM! it makes me jittery and crazy but they taste soooo good!

1/21/2007 10:55:00 PM  

Blogger moonlissa said...

As a New Orleanian, I would have to second the coffee and chicory vote. (My fav is Community New Orleans Blend) It's what I was raised on. My grandmother once sent me to the store in the middle of evacuating for a hurricane (not that hurricane!) for Community Coffe. She would not drink that flavored water you get in the hotel room packets! Try here
Community Coffee!

I will however bow at the altar of Starbucks. I agree there must be crack in there.

1/22/2007 12:25:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the smell of coffee brewing but can't stand the taste. YUCK! So, like Harlot, I get my caffeine from tea. Only there is nothing civilized about my tea! I brew it in large beer steins until you can't see the bottom of the stein. Hell, it's not uncommon for me to throw the teabag in at night and then nuke the cup in the microwave the next morning! The stronger, the better! After 3 or 4 or 6 steins of tea per day, I'll usually switch to Coke in the late afternoon- still has caffeine, just not as much.

1/22/2007 01:53:00 AM  

Blogger M.Amanda said...

No matter what I add to coffee, I just cannot stand the stuff. Tea, however, keeps me from going postal some mornings. I like Gevalia's Honey Ginseng Mint - very soothing. I will also drink English Breakfast tea when I need something stronger. But never coffee. I don't even like the smell.

1/22/2007 10:19:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLY SHIT! Here is my heart of heart! I drink coffee all day, everyday and if I don't, I get headaches. LOL. Gilmore girls got nothing on me.

Starbucks, Coffee Beanery, Caribu Coffee, Tim Hortons, Dunkin' Dounuts, The Coffee Mill, 7-11 and my own home brew!

Caffè Latte, Cappuccino, Caramel Macchiato, Espresso, Espresso Macchiato, Pumpkin Spice Latte, White Chocolate Mocha, Frappuccino, and regular old coffe or flavored coffee.

Hawaiian Kona, Colombian Supremo, Costa Rican Terrazu, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Guatemalan Huehuetenango, Costa Rican La Minita, Jamaican Blue Mountain or just plain old Foldgers.

I only drink tea in the summer and I do it up southern style, sugar and Lipton over ice. Maybe I'm still holding on to the Boston Tea Party...lol but I prefer coffee.

I'm giving up coffe shops for Lent. Oh please God, give me the strength.

1/22/2007 10:52:00 PM  

Blogger green eyed godess said...

While I am not much of a coffee drinker, I do like caramel frapaccinos. The frozen ones with extra whipped cream. I'm not even sure that it counts as coffee,it seems like desert!

I will admit I've never been in a Starbucks (gasp) or any other coffee shop for that matter, the few times I've had a frapaccino, it was from a coffee stand in the lobby of my work.

At home I drink hot chocolate or tea.

1/23/2007 05:16:00 AM