Friday, January 19, 2007

Late new year's resolutions

I KNOW it’s uber late to talk about New Year’s resolutions (especially when I’m bad in keeping mine :/), but I thought the ladies at PS forum have this fabulous pledge to read more books for 2007. This got me into thinking: How many books did I read last year?

Now that I’m actually counting... oh dear lord. *cringe* I think I only read, well... probably... around... *whispers* fiftybooksorsomoreorless. OMG, *ack* the shame, the shame!!! And to think I used to read 4-5 books per week—and that’s when I had school and a demanding oversexed boyfriend. Weird...

I used to bring a book wherever I go: school, restaurants, love slaves auctions; I read in the car (this is why I lub my driver LOL), on a date, I even left books all over my ex’s place. But last summer, I had this uberly looooooong reading funk (like a fucking draught!) I should have died tragically like a pretty fish in a desert. The problem was, it seemed as if I couldn’t read anything, and when I actually read a book, I ended up picking something I’ve already enjoyed and I’d just reread. What disturbs me more is the horrifying suspicion that I reread to remind myself why I love books. :S What is wrong with me??!? (Don’t answer that!) Has that ever happened to you? How many books did you read last year, anyway?

I didn’t make any resolutions this year. I have a plan of going to Madrid and then Italy for the lickable Italian men, but no usual promises of losing weight, be nicer and other boring crap. I think I will do the “to read more books” thingy though. I mean, so far I’m not doing THAT bad (um, I think :/). This January, I read:
  • The Sixteen Pleasures by Robert Hellenga
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • Industrial Magic, Haunted, Broken by Kelley Armstrong
I know it isn’t much but that’s a good start, right? Oh, shut up. Trollop hasn’t been reading that many books too, anyway! *hmph* What? She’s busy studying? Oh, please! *snort*

Speaking of Trollop, given that she’s busy—and I know she hates making resolutions or such rubbish—but I also know she NEEDS to have some, uh-hmm—I’ve decided to come up with some resolutions for her.** After all, isn’t that what best friends are for?
  • I resolve that Trollop will blog regularly again (at least twice a week) seeing that our readers are getting tired of hearing my ramblings and my sighing like a nympho over yummylicious men.
  • I resolve that Trollop will stop spending money for crap!
  • I resolve that Trollop will never forget that she loves me so even if I’m a most demanding crazy witch and an unreasonable heathen most of the time. :S
What about you, any New Year’s resolution/s? Early, late, or you’ve already forgotten them? :P

**Totally saw this at Squawk Radio last year LOL.
***Are you guys reading Twilight? Just 11 more days before our discussion, Y’ALL BETTER BE READING!!! Yes, I’m a BBC Nazi. *rolls eyes* I don’t care, just go read! Awesome book, really. ;)

Labels: , ,


21 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between your job, social life, (dare I say current boyfriend or boyfriends?) and real life responsibilities, 50 is not so bad Harlot.

There was a time I stopped reading for a year. I was really busy at the time and all my free period was dedicated to renovating my house.

New Years Resolution? To be more patient and one of the boring things you have mentioned, to loose weight!

1/19/2007 07:15:00 AM  

Blogger joseph said...

hola me gustaria ayudarte escribime tu correo a mi direccion jovenpolitico@yahoo.com para ayudarte y compartir ideas..

1/19/2007 09:09:00 AM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

To read more books, that's a good resolution. I finished 150 or so books last year and I still have a big TBR pile.

I have yet to make any resolutions for this year but here are some important things I should promise to at least try:

- to stop nagging my fiance
- to go to gym 4 times a week
- to eat more healthy foods
- to be more punctual

1/19/2007 09:16:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

We're not tired of your 'ramblings' Harlot, and Trollop has been posting lately. Yay! :)

I read around 70-80 books last year. As for resolutions, I never could keep them so I'm not even going to tempt to make some. LOL.

1/19/2007 10:16:00 AM  

Blogger Menchie said...

You read 50???? That's a lot! Between work and taking care of the kids, I can only squeeze reading time when I'm in the car (while the hubby's driving) or late at night when the kids go to bed and I can't stand not finishing the book.

My resolutions:
- read more books
- stay away from ZARA
- organize more interesting weekend activities for the kids -- enough trips to the mall!

1/19/2007 10:25:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Twilight? I LOVED IT! Looking forward to our discussion ladies. :)

50 books is a lot already Harlot. I don't think I read more than 50 books last year!

I want to have a new car this year so I have to save enough to get the one I really want. Wish me luck! *crossing fingers*

1/19/2007 11:43:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Harlot, lol, you crack me up. I read 100 books or so last year. I wanted to put a serious dent on my growing pile of unread books and I actually did.

My resolution is to loose weight, and never ever listen to gossip again!!!

1/19/2007 12:38:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I have no idea how many books I read last year - not because I read so much, I just have a terrible memory and no sense of time.

I'm trying to keep track of what I read this year, but I'm lazy, so it might not make it past this month. LOL. Also plan on riding more and getting more fit again; there was a time when 4 or so horses a day wasn't difficult, but now I have enough trouble just riding one. Oh, and also not to fall asleep in Math class, but the topic and teacher are so very boring and difficult to understand (at least half of which I'm convinced has to do with the prof's lack of proficiency in the English language).

1/19/2007 12:38:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Danielle,
Oh god, i am perpetually late. I used to always get in trouble in my classes because i'm always ALWAYS late. :S


Menchie,
50 is not enough i think. Especially when i used to read a lot. :( Not to mention i have a lot of books in my TBR pile. Also, most of those 50 books i've mentioned i read on the first half of the year; the second half, OMG, horrible...


Vanessa,
LOL what happened? I hope nothing serious...


Dance,
I LUB Math, the only class besides Art that didn't bore me. Even took Engineering because of it. ;) Most hated class: Gym. Fuck volleyball! HATE HATE HATE THAT STUPID SPORT! GRRR

1/19/2007 12:51:00 PM  

Blogger Jolie said...

50 is enough. If I'm not mistaken, that's one book per week already. There was a time I stopped reading (actually everything appeared to have stopped at that time). I think it usually happens to everyone especially when you become too busy in some aspects of your life. I read a lot for the past 2 years and I'm actually proud of that. ;)

1/19/2007 01:18:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Year's resolution: to loose weight! I'm going to this wedding on March and I need to loose at least 20 pounds! I'm trying to watch what I eat and last week, I started jogging every morning. I don't know if it's working but the result is a bit slow. Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh, I need to loose weight!

1/19/2007 02:27:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I don't know how many books I read last year, probably around 60? LOL. I have no idea!

I experience that reading funk once in a while but it never lasted for months. Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood to read.

For my New Years resolution, be more understanding of my brother and actually save some money! I would love to go travel, maybe Paris...

1/19/2007 03:59:00 PM  

Blogger Jo said...

I'm scared to say how many I read.... Are we counting text books? I probably read around 20 excluding text books. I am super busy. I also have problems sitting for a long time. I possibly have ADD and I'm getting tested for it soon. So my official excuse is that I have 25 college credits and have no time to read for fun. My weekends this year will be spent studying french. And reading my paramedic books. My new years resolution is to get better grades and exercise more... so far I think the better grades is winning. I have a cold and couldn't go to classes today and its only the 4th day! how sad is that!

1/19/2007 05:16:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

I am already geared up for our Twilight discussion. I think I might have to protect Edward from Dance. :P

I'm not really a resolution girl but I'm trying to save more money, no more drinking in parties especially when I don't have to and I have to study more.

1/19/2007 05:51:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful resolution! I think I might adopt it, though I don't know how many books I read last year, so I wouldn't know how much is more than last year. Lol! I don't think I was even close to fifty though. Too much serious reading to get done, which I don't like. I wish I could read my school books as quickly as I read other books, and remember them as well.

My real resolution: quitting candy and drinking more water (in order to lose weight, though that is not mentioned in the actual resolution.). So far I've gone five days without eating candy. The craving are starting to kick in. Oh God. The water bit is not going too well, basically because I don't like water.

1/19/2007 08:53:00 PM  

Blogger George said...

Hello ladies ... I don't do resolutions ... althought I made 5 for 2005 and accomplished 3 of them. Nothing last year because it was a very difficult year for me. This year there are a lot of things I want to try and do so I called them possibilities ... if I do them that's great, if I don't well, it was only a possibility.

If you want to read any of them go to post 141 of my blog.

Cheers

1/20/2007 01:02:00 AM  

Blogger Rachel said...

I have the same resolution! I didn't read that many books last year but I kept buying and ordering from amazon (it's an addiction) my to-be-read pile got bigger and bigger, and now I have to read all of them because I refuse to think I wasted all that money for nothing!

1/20/2007 02:43:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Ohgod, Di, i knew i heard of that HAPPY HOOKER somewhere! LOL

Fugly book cover syndrome

1/20/2007 02:43:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

KC, good luck with the test. :) Take care.

Heidi, how could you not like water??? What do yo drink all day then, vodka? :P

Rosalinda,
You know Atkins is very effective. It really is. You'll loose like 10 pounds in a week. It's good when you're trying to fit in a dress and you only have two weeks to do it. However, i don't think Atkins is good for a long term diet. :/

1/20/2007 02:48:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must have read 30-40 books. I'm not sure. lol
My New Year's Resolution... like everyone else's, to be more fit!

Olly

1/20/2007 04:01:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

last year i started a database to keep track of the books i read. i stopped recording them sometime in August when i reached 105 books. I know this may sound like blasphemy but i'm resolving to read less. I started walking and running more (that and changing my eating habits helped me lose about 30 pounds), spending more time with friends, and Thank you Harlot and Trollop(and of course, rod)-- finding myself sexually; and going on impromptu trips. I resolve to stay happy and have a good attitude despite all the crap that goes on around me. Sure i look like an idiot sometimes with a silly grin on my face but i'm happy and having fun!

1/21/2007 10:17:00 PM