Wednesday, October 11, 2006

BBC: "Hunter Legends" series

Hullo, gorgeous readers. How many of SK’s “Hunter Legends” books have you already finished? As I mentioned when we announced BBC, starting this week until November, we’re going to have an open discussion about them. So, if you have any questions, thoughts, theories about Ash, Artemis, and/or any of the yummy Dark-Hunters *g* that you want to share, join us here for an ongoing discussion.

P.S. We put a link of this post in the sidebar (under BBC section) so you guys can easily access it anytime you want. *wink*

**Editing to add: Since we’re all in varying degrees of reading different DH books, to avoid reading spoilers and confusion, please preface your comments with the title of the specific book you’re posting about (thanks Hotmama, great idea! :D).


Related:

Labels:


37 comment(s):

Blogger Jolie said...

Ok, it was mentioned in Talon's book that Julian is an oracle? Talon said, "Great, and ex-darkhunter and an Oracle." When did that happen?

10/11/2006 01:29:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I know why I didn't read more of these books - I read Fantasy Lover and it was okay, but didn't rate as a keeper so I stopped right there. I picked up Night Pleasures Monday and should finish it tonight.

I thought the book did/has done a good job of explaining dark-hunters, daimons and appollites, though a some what poor job of doing the same with the gods. I thought Julian's story was somewhat glossed over, but you can still read Kyrian's story without having to read the earlier books.

This is the first BBC where the book(s) interested me, so I'm not sure what other thoughts/comments are expected when discussing the books.

I do have to question the passing comment by Kyrian that there are thousands of dark-hunters, but sometimes he is just wandering around looking for daimons. Why do they need so many dark-hunters if there aren't that many daimons?

And I like the cover of the UK edition better.

10/11/2006 03:23:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

2nd Amdt, I like the UK covers too. And they match. lol

I just finished Night Pleasures and Night Embrace. I really like Kyrian. At first I thought, a vampire in leather? Definitely not! lol But as I read on, I fell in love with Kyrian. OMG and the sex, my gosh, very hot! :P Nick is funny with his "Hey you got laid, finally" lol. I hate Valerius by the way!

Then Talon. Not a big fan of this guy, gotta say. But love his tattoo. Not a fan of Sunshine either but I like that she's casual about sex with Talon. Now I'm reading Dance with the Devil and loving Zarek!

I have a question. I'm confused about what or who Simi is. Is she Ash's daughter? Did Ash slept with a dragon then?

10/11/2006 03:42:00 PM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I haven't start yet! Oh man, I have to get the books....

10/11/2006 04:51:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read all books in this series and I have some advice. You should read them in order (see BBC home page). The development of certain characters like Ash and Simi is gradual thoughout the books and it could get very confusing is they are not read in order.

Although the short stories are not great in themselves you can pick up hints to the overall development of the main story which runs throughout all the books which is Ash's story. Although each book has its own individual storyline there is also an overall storyline which is why I think so many people are confused. I promise if you read the books in sequence you pay as much if not more attention to the overall storyline as to the individual one.

I love these books and am totally caught up in the world SK is building over the course of her books. I can't wait for the next one.

10/12/2006 03:21:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

I think I'm going to give these a shot but unfortunately I couldn't get them all from the library. Will I be totally lost if I don't read them all?

10/12/2006 11:26:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Trollop, I'm gonna start tonight. Hope these get me out of my reading slump!

10/12/2006 02:26:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

2nd Amdt,
There are many Daimons. I guess they don't appear much in the first few books. ;) I think you'll start to see more of them in Wulf's book, KISS OF THE NIGHT.


Vanessa,
Simi was barely a hatchling (around 300 years old LOL) when she was given to Ash (by Apollymi, The Destroyer) on his 21st birthday. She's supposed to be his demon guardian. :P He just calls her his daughter out of love not blood.

10/12/2006 02:47:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Vixen, I didn't see this post of yours about not having the DH series. I think my MIL is done with it...e-mail me about it, I will get it back from her and loan you what you don't have..so you wont' miss anything.

10/13/2006 03:26:00 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Shosh, Thanks. I'll email you today!

10/13/2006 03:17:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we ready for some serious comments on the books? I finished Night Pleasures, and while it was a good book, I was disappointed with the last third or so of the book.

I've never been a big Rocky fan; do you know what movie I'm talking about? My husband commented that each movie had the same theme - Rocky would lose, lose again, lose a few more times, before he finally won. Kyrian seemed to do the same thing. Desi found his weakness (arms held down), exploited it a few times, and yet Kyrian got out of the situations, mostly through no power of his own. If Kyrian is that strong of a DH, why hasn't he gotten over this in the last 2000 years?

There were also a lot of references to Amanda's 'powers', but it wasn't until the very end that she all of a sudden had any. They didn't explain what they were (that I caught). She even used them once to help Kyrian, but then during the last fight scenes, she says Desi is the one that unleashed them. I didn't think SK explained or explored this part of the heroine very well.

And finally, I don't think SK really explained how Desi could do some of the things that he wasn't supposed to be able to do. Okay, he was the son of a god, but they never connected that to him going in to houses when he wasn't invited, etc. Maybe I just wasn't following the supernatural part of the storyline enough.

Seems like I just have complaints about the book, but I've never really did one of these book club things. I liked the book overall, it was a quick read, but I'm thinking not a keeper for me unless other books in the series turn out to be keepers for me.

10/13/2006 08:00:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

GWB, I think Wulf's story coincides(sp) with Talon's. I'm reading Kiss of the Night too. :D By the way, was I the only one who got confused with KOTN'S prologue?

10/16/2006 09:41:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking I need a score card.

10/17/2006 11:54:00 AM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

RE: DANCE WITH THE DEVIL

Zarek is my favorite DH yet, besides Ash of course. His life when he's still a slave was heartbreaking. I felt so sorry for Z when he was trying to buy that bread and no one wanted to sell him some. Also the cruelty of his father and brothers made me cringe! I really like Zarek, more than I like Kyrian. I like his friend Sundown too - does he have a book of his own?

I love Simi!!! She's a riot! She always makes me smile whenever she's in the scene. And she is so cute! LOL

There's something about Kenyon's writing that bugs me. I can't pinpoint what it is though. I can't really say SK is a "great" writer, despite that, I'm really enjoying this series and the fun characters.

10/20/2006 05:51:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Still rereading. And since i can't remember everything (been so long sinc ei've read these books!), started from FANTASY LOVER. Yep LOL. I'm reading Vane's book now. :P


Lorelei,
I lovelovelove Simi! She's adorable!

10/20/2006 06:51:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

RE: KISS OF THE NIGHT

Vanessa and GWB,
Regarding KOTN's prologue, there are two sons of Apollo mentioned there. The first one was the son of the Atlantean queen. He survived but died at the age of 27 (like all Apollites). That's why Cassandra is now the only Apollite left who's a direct descendant of Apollo.

21 years after the first son was born, a Greek princess gave birth to the second son. But he died when he's still an infant. His death was the reason why Apollo cursed all Apollites.

To sum it up, BOTH of Apollo's sons are dead. Apollymi's son, however, is DEFINITELY alive. :P



If you guys have questions, jsut ask. :) If we know the answers, Trollop and i will try to answer them. Of course those who have answers/theories feel free to chime in. Like...
>
>
>
Speaking of KOTN's prologue, there are major clues there that if you connect them with the other facts given from the first few books, you'll see that the death of Apollo's second son was one of the reasons why Ash died. And that...
>
>
>
*BIG SPOILER*

The Greek princess (Apollo's mistress) was actually Ryssa, Ash's sister. Yep.
>
>
>
I have a lot really LOL. Can't wait when everyone finish most of the books already. :)

10/20/2006 07:36:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hotmama,

KOTN's storyline coincides both Talon and Zarek's stories. This book gives you a lot of info about the Apollites and their curse. It also shows us that Ash really is a god (and i'm not talking of his uber hotness LOL). Apollymi, Stryker and the Abadonna, three VERY important characters in the series, are also introduced in KOTN.

Now SEIZE has a lot of info about Ash (that raises a lot of questions!!!), and some significant things happen there that shaped the series. Yep. :P But, just in case you have the time to read NIGHT PLAY (book after KOTN, before SEIZE), don't skip; it's a good Were-Hunter book. You'll know more about the Weres this time. Actually NP is Trollop's fave book yet in the series. I think Shosh's too. ;)

10/22/2006 12:42:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

*SPOILERS ABOUT KAT/KATRA*
>
>
>
Yep, that's Kat alright. Abadonna means "the heart of the Destroyer". She serves both Apollymi and Artemis, who are mortal enemies. Makes you think why, no? :D And Ash, who knows EVERYONE, doesn't even know she exists! She's like a secret between Artemis and Apollymi LOL.


*SPOILER INDEED GRRR*
Fucking spoils my taste!
>
>
>
There's been some talk that Kat is one of the possible heroine for Ash (you'll find out why in SEIZE). Don't get me wrong, Kat's fine, but why oh why does she have to be Ash's heroine??? NOT that it's confirmed!


*UBER THEORIES/SPOILERS*
>
>
>
What's confirmed is ... Ash is Apollymi's son (confirmed in the short story SECOND CHANCES). Yep. The one Archon wanted dead, so Apollymi hid him in the mortal world (that's why Ash was born human). Now, Kat, besides the possibilty of her being Ash's heroine, there's another theory (this one i like; will get quotes later that support it :P). She could be Artemis and Ash's daughter--that's why she serves both Artemis (her mom) and Apollymi (her grandma). So it's like, Artemis got pregnant and didn't tell Ash (if this is the case, Artie is soooo freaking dead when Ash finds out! LOL). You'll notice Kat never lets Ash sees her, she always vanishes when he's around, and he can't sense her. So big question about Kat is, is she Ash's daughter or heroine? Yeah... Dammit, Ash's book is taking so long! I've been waiting for two fucking years already!

10/22/2006 02:27:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Re: Harlot, I started reading your spoiler and then went, OOps, not there yet, lol, and stopped.

Hotmama, if you've read up to at least KOTN, the ones i've mentioned aren't really spoilers since those haven't happened yet, or probably won't even happen! LOL They're just theories (where you can agree or disagree with me). I think that's one of the beauty of DH series, you get to make theories connecting the different clues/lines you came across the books. Haven't you wondered what or who Ash is? Why/how did he die? Why the Greek pantheon is afraid of him? What exactly is his connection with Artemis? Why Apollymi won't let Stryker attack Ash? Why Kat is serving both Apollymi and Artemis (who are mortal enemies)? Why Kat is the "heart of the Destroyer"? Things like that. :P The good thing is, SK put all the clues right up front for anyone who was looking to see. However, nothing is conclusive until Ash's book is released. ;)

10/23/2006 03:38:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

I can't freaking find SECOND CHANCES. SK's site is changing. I think they're moving into another server and i can't find the short story i've mentioned. :/ When i find it, will post the link here.

10/23/2006 03:47:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Hotmama, it would probably include it if it's part of it in the first place.

10/23/2006 07:57:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

1. Deleted scene from NIGHT EMBRACE

2. Deleted scene from SEIZE THE NIGHT

3. SECOND CHANCES. Short story with Ash and Styxx that came out with SEIZE THE NIGHT. Spoilers included. Preferably, don't read until you finish NIGHT PLEASURE, NIGHT EMBRACE, DANCE WITH THE DEVIL, KISS OF THE NIGHT.

10/24/2006 01:12:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Harlot,
Thanks for that. I've been reading your theories and I agree about your assessment of Kat. That scene in SEIZE THE NIGHT doesn't tell me Kat is Ash's heroine. The way she has approached him, I see it more like a daughter who's been longing of her father. I think it's in KOTN where Kat said she takes up from her dad who understands both Apollymi and Artemis. And if Ash is Apollymi's son, then it makes sense why Kat is serving and loyal to both goddesses. But why would Artemis hide the fact that she's pregnant with Ash's child? Isn't that what would tie Ash to her? God knows she's been panting for Ash lol.

Also, Ryssa (Ash's sister) is Apollo's mistress, the one who was brutally murdered with her child that made Apollo cursed all the Apollites? If so, in NIGHT EMBRACE, Styxx said that Ash LET her sister died??? Is this true?

10/24/2006 01:45:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Vanessa,
About Kat, i think so too. Personally, that scene in SEIZE doesn't tell me anything, except that Kat is someone special to Ash. But i'm leaning towards Kat being his daughter than his heroine. :P She could very well be his sister too, though i've never seen clues that might point to this (correct me if i'm wrong). So far, Kat could be anyone to Ash; the only thing that scene in SEIZE tells me is she is, in fact, SOMEONE to him.

But why would Artemis hide the fact that she's pregnant with Ash's child? Isn't that what would tie Ash to her? God knows she's been panting for Ash lol.

You know i thought the same thing! LOL I really hate Artemis with the way she treats Ash, and i'm still iffy about her possibly having a child with him (still, i really think Kat is his daughter; if Kat could have another mom other than Artie, much better :P).

Since DH are infertile, i'm assuming that Kat was conceived while Ash was still alive. Her age supports this. Naturally, since Artie is such a horrible BITCH, i've always though she hid her pregnancy because SHE wanted to, and that she doesn't care about Ash being upset. But i keep forgetting this is the same goddess who seems to only breathe so she could make plans to own Ash. Maybe Artie wanted to surprise him? She really loves him (in her own twisted way). Maybe Artie wanted to give Ash things he thought he'd never have? A family that loves him.

But then Ryssa got killed. Apollo comes in a rage. Artie, pregnant and frightened, lord knows she could make the biggest mistake ever. I mean think about it. Pride's one of the 7 deadliest sins for a reason. Maybe shame, fear and hormones are why she didn't save Ash? Maybe she was afraid of what Apollo would do to her if he found out she was carrying Ash's child while Apollo's beloved mistress and her child lay dead.

Artemis has always been ashamed of her relationship with Ash. He's a sex slave. Whether he close that life (can't see this happening) or was forced to it, i don't know. Anyway, not to excuse Artie, but if i'm a goddess, i wouldn't want anyone to know i was sleeping with the town bike LOL. Besides, i don't think Artemis really loves anyone but herself. I don't think she knows what love really is. She's a selfish, spoiled BRAT who needs a series dose of grow up! In her own way, she loves Ash, and hated him for it. I think she thought if he died, then she'd be free of him. She hates the fact that she loves him, yet she can't bring herself to give him up, which is probably why she brought him back as a DH. Stupid heifer goddess.

Styxx said that Ash LET her sister died??? Is this true?

Yes, apparently it's true. It was mentioned that Ash was used to be addicted to that pleasure drug they gave Sunshine in NIGHT EMBRACE (can't remember the name LOL). Ash was staying with Ryssa when the Atlantean queen sent her men to kill Apollo's mistress and child. Simply put: Ash was high, Ryssa and her child dead, Apollo gutted Ash.

10/27/2006 07:56:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Hotmama,
Nick's story hasn't been published yet, has it? Or is Dark Side his story??

Nope. DSOTM is *supposed* to be Ravyn's story LOL (a were-hunter who became a dark-hunter) but it feels like it's only a transition book, more clues, preparing everyone for Ash's story next year. I'm not saying DSOTM is bad, i actually liked it *much* better than SINS (gad, Alexion and Danger suck!!!). SEIZE is still my fave, and Vane is still *drool* the hottest (with the exception of Ash :P). Also, unlike in SINS, you'll see here what happened with Nick after what he did in SEIZE.


GWB,
What did Ash's saying to Nick "kill yourself to save me the trouble" or something like that, have to do with his (Nick's) mom dying? Or was that the only catalyst that would drive Nick to do so and since Ash is a god, if he says it, it must come true?

It has to do with the "If I were you, i'd kill myself" part. As Apostolos, Ash dictates fate. So since Ash declared he would have done it if he were Nick, that led to Nick actually doing the action. I'm not sure that makes much more sense LOL. Basically Ash told Nick he should kill himself before Ash kills him.

This is part of the reason why Ash is usually so cryptic about the future because if he wants it bad enough at the time that he says it, it will probably come true. When that happens free will goes out the window.

Quote from SINS:
"Everything in the universe is changing right now. Realigning. But then you know that. I know you can feel it."

"Ash ground his teeth as pain swept through him. He knew exactly why the universe was still shifting to accommodate what never should have happened. "I made a mistake."

"Nick Gautier."

Ash nodded. "I cursed him to die and I altered numerous other lives in the process. Lives of people I love."

10/27/2006 08:07:00 AM  

Blogger Girlie said...

It's been a while, and my MIL is not letting go of the whole collection yet, which I loaned her,I might add....

I like the Leopard. I can't name him coz i don't have my freking book, but isn't it sexy to sleep with a cat...a cat with a big penis? LOL

10/28/2006 05:58:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Harlot, that makes sense! I like your theories, and I agree. Is it possible that Ash and Artie will end up together? I know she's such a bitch but all we've heard so far is Ash's side of the story. Told from her point of view, she is probably attractive, not exactly "good" but not as bad or such a bitch as we see her now. Look at Valerius and Zarek. They were both despicable at first but I ended up loving them after reading their books. Besides didn't Ash used to love her? What if SK gives Artie another chance to betray Ash but this time she comes through for him?

10/30/2006 10:19:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Vanessa,
I really hate Artemis LOL. She freaking beats Ash! WTF??? Personally, i want a new character to be Ash's heroine because i want to see him being swept off his feet and learning to trust and falling in love and all that stuff. But i think, whoever ends up being Ash's heroine, it'll be good. And verra exciting. ;) I agree though about Artie's side of the story. I for one wants to know why she betrayed Ash. With all her twistedness, you can't deny she worships Ash. And good point, Ash used to love her once. There's really quite something about their relationship, now and before he died.

10/30/2006 03:16:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was beginning to think people were done discussing these books (doesn't this run through the end of November?)

I just picked up Kiss of the Night to start. I can't read series books like this back-to-back. Just too much for me.

DANCE WITH THE DEVIL

I'm not sure I quite got why Zarek was banished, and unfortunately I finished the book over a week ago, so now I don't even remember why I didn't get it.

It's a good series and I'll keep going, though it may take me a while. I do look forward to finding out more about Ash.

11/17/2006 11:34:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Is there another book coming? I thought I just read that Other Side of Midnight?

Was there another book for that other series she does? I kind of like those people there.

11/18/2006 07:02:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Oh brother! Blogger hates me! Just when I had so much fun when SouthPark drawing.

Is there another book out for SK? What about for her other historical? I could look it up...but I'd rather hear from you guys. I am not getting enough sleep and I'd rather read old post than google new books.

11/18/2006 07:04:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Oh, great, people are still discussing the DH books. :D I think someone said before that SK will be releasing Ash's book in one volume. If that happens, that'll be around 700 pages? Whoa.. that's a lot of Ash!

11/20/2006 01:41:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dance with the Devil: GBW - that's what I mean about not understanding. Z was banished for doing something he didn't do. Huh? And Ash compromised by just getting him banished and not terminated? Once you found out what actually happened, I just thought it was a let down because IMO there was no good reason to let Z think that he did what he was accused of for 900 years.

I think I grabbed the next one too quickly, because I really buzzed thru Kiss of the Night and again felt that things didn't make sense. In fact, I think I skipped most of the part between her getting pregnant and them moving to the Appollite hideaway.

I've bought most of the rest of the series, but will space out reading them. Or maybe I should lump them all together because I'm getting lost trying to remember who all the gods are and stuff.

I'm also noticing what I think are inconsistencies that drive me nuts. For example, I think in the earlier books they say that Daimons need a human soul every 3 days to stay alive past 27. But in a later book, a Daimon is looking at someone and comments that their soul would probably last 6 months. I don't remember where I read the first comment, so I can't (or won't) go back and confirm my memory, but this leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

11/21/2006 04:10:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

GWB, thank you so much. I think I'll pre-buy so I won't forget. Last time, the book was out for like 3 months before I got to it. :)

11/25/2006 03:58:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you guys!
Im sorry I am getting into this convo a bit late but here is my take on the whole thing:
First of all, you can get a great background history of the begining of the dark hunters in Ash's story, which is found on the SK website or in the back of Night Play (I believe). In Wulf's book they also give a great background bit.

Kat, the abadonna, is definately not Ash's love interest...well i'm pretty sure anyway, because the spoiler on the website is that Ash's love interest is in the story 'Dream Hunter which comes out in Jan.' Kytera, One of the most powerful dream hunters whose powers Rival Ash's and Savitar's is a main character in Dream Hunter.

No one knows where Kytera, the most beautiful placid, dream hunter is originated from.

Ash needs a woman powerful enough for him otherwise the story wont hold weight.

So there is my hypothesis: Kat the daughter, Kytera, the lover.

And as for the inconsistencies about daemons needing souls to survive and for how long they can survive, if they take the soul of a witch or a powerful human, then the soul lasts longer. Another important thing to remember is the older the daemon, the more souls needed for survival.

I went to New Orleans recently and I took pictures of places where some of the characters are placed in S.K's books. check it out!
milanloka@blogspot.com

hope that was helpful!

12/05/2006 11:13:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must read "The Dream Hunter" which came out in February 2007. For those of you wondering about Ash's HEA, it's someone with an "A" in her name and it's not Katra. I think she's his daughter with Artemis! Anyway, there's someone there named Cynthia (THIA for short) and she's the complete replica of Artemis and Cynthia happens to be one of Artemis' name in Greek/Roman Mythology! There's also one named Tory Kafieri(i'm thinking real name is Victoria), who is another cousin of this book's HEA! I am all for Tory being his heroine!

It ties a lot of loose ends and great prep for Ash's 2 books that should come out in December 2007! Can't hardly wait!!!

2/10/2007 06:33:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

OMG, Sweetangelrei, thanks for this! You have no idea how happy i am about Katra not being Ash's heroine! LOL. (I've always thought she is Ash's and Artie's daughter..)

I've yet to get DREAM HUNTER, it's not here yet in my country but i did get Nick's e-book. Any news about Ash's book title? Is it that one listed in Amazon PHANTOM IN THE NIGHT? Nothing yet from SK's site..

Anyway, welcome and i hope you'll join us and post often! :D

2/10/2007 11:59:00 PM