Monday, October 2, 2006

BBC: Rachel's Holiday (Day 1)

I wish I could say I HATED Rachel’s Holiday (since it’s one of that heathen Trollop’s favorite books—and seriously, she just won’t shut up about it!!!), but alas, Marian Keyes has found a new fan in me. *g*

Let’s go straight to the questions then:
  • What is your first impression of Rachel and the situation she’s in? How do your views about her change throughout the book? Do you find yourself liking Rachel more or less as the book progresses? Why?
  • Did you believe Rachel when she said that her drug/alcohol abuse was just normal “party” behavior? How does her relationship towards illegal substances differ from those of her best friend Bridgit?

Related:

Labels:


13 comment(s):

Blogger Lorelei said...

1. I didn't like Rachel in the beginning, but her self discovery, thinking she doesn't deserve to be loved endeared her to me. She's experienced a lot of pain, guilt and loss, but somehow she manages to stand for herself and learns to heal.

2. Rachel considers her drug abuse just a form of "socializing". But her family is right, that she is an addict and that she needs help, especially after she ends up in a hospital from overdose.

10/02/2006 12:27:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

BBs, when's the next BBC going to be?

10/02/2006 12:33:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

I mean BBC book announcement. Jeez... I should read my comment first before publishing! lol

10/02/2006 12:35:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I have to say that I am a huge MK fan and even if Rachel's Holiday isn't my favorite of her books, I still enjoyed it tremendously.

I don't know why but I liked Rachel even from the start. LOL She isn't exactly stupid but she's one of those people who's incapable of seeing her reality. And yet reality is what makes this book so good. RH is about the harshness of life, love, family and friendship. It's a bit odd that reading about a delusional drug addict made me feel more about my own reality.

10/02/2006 01:14:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

I agree with Petra that people who have addiction are mostly in denial. At first, I actually liked Bridgit more than Rachel. LOL I think they are charming together. Rachel is just too thick headed-for me. But after finding more about her, I started to like her.

Now Rachel's family is an absolute hoot! Still, as much as they made me laugh, it's all about Rachel and her trying to overcome a serious issue of addiction, her issues with her family and her love life. Sigh. Isn't Luke wonderful?

10/02/2006 04:36:00 PM  

Blogger Lola Lovegood said...

I am in the Bahamas for a second honeymoon with the DH and paying a ridiculous amount of Money to participate in BBC, since I just finished reading it this weekend and can’t wait to get home to discuss it. I loved this book. Let me say that again, I LOVED THIS BOOK. It’s going straight to the top shelf of my keepers bookshelf =)

Now to the answers:

During the first couple of pages, I was worried about Rachel, I thought she indeed have a problem trying to commit suicide and all, but then, after she explains the poem and how she thought of writing it I thought she was ok. I thought she didn’t have much of a problem, besides doing occasional drugs which made her pretty stupid, but not a drug addict LOL

I don’t think Rachel’s spirit or personality changed throughout the book; something that made me happy. She stayed true to her character’s personality but changed the way she saw herself. MK does a wonderful job with that and I was completely blown away by her writing style. I liked Rachel from beginning to end, except when she dumped Luke to go home with that freak that ended up sobbing for his mom! LOL Oh, and when she pretended she didn’t know him in that art opening.

In the beginning I believed it was party behavior (not normal though) but as the book progresses and she shares more and more of herself and her life with us I saw she had a problem. Especially after we meet Chaquie (LMAO) and I compared her stories to rachel’s then I knew for sure there was something very wrong.

You know, I think bridgit could’ve been an addict too had she not hated the way Rachel made her feel. Also, we see that bridgit takes a mom role with Rachel, so having to take care of her friend might have something to do with her not having to become an addict too.

Have to log off! Paying 11.95 for 15 mins of internet!!! Will be back tomorrow night :) Then catching up Wednesday night when I get home. Dying to know what you girls have been up too!

Ta ta from the Bahamas!

10/02/2006 05:38:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Have to rush, will be back later with my answers! But may I suggest a book for next BBC? If not another chic lit, romance? :D

10/02/2006 05:53:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Lola, you're in the Bahamas? OMG I'm so jealous! LOL

Have fun! :D

10/02/2006 05:53:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

I really like Rachel, she's so funny and corky and MK did a great job with fleshing out her character. What I didn't like is how she views herself. Like everyone said, she was in denial and I think that's one of the reasons why many of her relationship (family, friends) are a bit off.

I agree with Lola about Bridgit and Rachel's relationship. This book is labeled as a "chic lit" so to be honest, didn't expect it to take such a painful turn. I think this book is very powerful to be classified as chic lit, narrating a intense life turning experience. And even if the end was a bit too much for me, LOL, I was really glad with the way things turned out for Rachel!

P.S. Lola, hope you have fun at the Bahamas!

10/03/2006 06:37:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I liked Rachel even from the beginning. Yes she is shallow and in denial of her addiction but this book is the story of recovery and she did it with flair.

Even after Rachel's finally been convinced to go to rehab, she's still not convinced she has a problem. Instead, she sees rehab as a way to meet celebs.. lol. She cringes at the other addicts, not admiting her own, and complains about the lack of celebrity sightings! But MK was amazing in a way, despite all that silliness, we understand Rachel. Especially when she started sharing more of herself. I think this book gives us a good look at how addiction works, confronting one's self and that, no matter how bad it seems, we can all heal.

Can I please just bitch about how I hate MK's book covers? I'm sorry but these stick figures are hideous. It's good to see her newest one finally got a new style!

10/03/2006 07:55:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Those Real Men are a hoot! It's ironic how they're called "Real Men" when they are trapped in a time warp with their late 80s metal style! LMAO

10/03/2006 01:34:00 PM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

I had this impression that Rachel was in self-denial in the beginning. I am a skeptic and I jumped into assumption that she's a drug addict in denial.

As an aside, if Catherine Zeta-Jones is going to play Rachel, how is she going to managed "skeletal" dug-addicted look? I mean she's beautiful and all, but she's also on the hefty side. Do you think she'll ruin the Rachel we love?

I love, love this book, and would have like more time to write, but bedtime for the heathens here.

10/03/2006 08:33:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I believed Rachel at first that she's not supposed to be in the Cloisters, that she's been wrongly "incarcerated" in a rehab for a habit she only do during parties. But as you read more, you'll realize how serious Rachel's problem is and how much in denial she's been.

I HATED Brigit in the beginning. I agree with Trollop that she did it all wrong with Rachel, but by the end I understood where she was coming from.

Loved the Real Men! LOL

10/04/2006 04:27:00 AM