Tuesday, October 3, 2006

BBC: Rachel's Holiday (Day 2)

Hullo, dear readers. So happy we’re discussing RH! Did I already tell you guys this is one of my all time favorite books, written by one of my all time favorite authors? Oh. I did? Like a gazillion times? *confused* Well, I guess I wont mention it anymore then. :(

Anyway, so excited that today we have the questions about my two favorite things, about one of my all time favorite books, written by one of my all time favorite authors: The Cloisters and Luke. *sigh*

Here we go then...
  • How do you view Luke? What do you think drew Rachel and him together? Is he good for Rachel, or is he just another chip on her shoulder? Do you think they have a promising future together?
  • What traits of the other Cloister “inmates” do you think Rachel possessed? How do you think relating with them helped her get through her addiction? Do you think the personality traits Rachel hated most in Jackie were evident in her as well?
  • Before being rehabilitated, what were Rachel’s highest expectations regarding love? Did you feel sorry for her and the way she handled her life with other men, and then Luke? Or did you feel bad for Luke, and thought he deserved better (*like me!*)?

Related:

Labels:


11 comment(s):

Blogger Polly King said...

I think Luke is amazing. I love the way he loves Rachel and how he stayed with her through it all. I think he and Rachel have a future since they're similar in ways that matter.

The Cloisters people, like Rachel, think there's nothing wrong with them. But while in there, you see eating addicts steal toasts from breakfast, drug addicts desperately try to smuggle their fixes etc.

I agree with GWB about Jackie and Rachel. They're the same, both trying to fit in the "hip" crowd and don't listen to people that matter to them the most.

Oh poor Luke. I felt so bad for him when Rachel acted like she didn't know him! I think Rachel isn't bad for Luke per se, but at the time she fell into an addiction that's why her relationship with Luke suffered.

10/03/2006 01:27:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Luke is extremely hot. LOL He's definitely one of my all time favorite heroes. I think Luke is good for Rachel in a way that no matter what happens, he will stand by her, and I think he really loves Rachel.

I love the Cloisters! The book is shown through Rachel's eyes and her descriptions as she arrives at the centre made me LMAO. Too fuuny! I loved it when she kept insisting they must be "in the middle of re-decorating". LOL

What I love about RH is that it's very funny but at the same time, it has serious undertones even from the beginning where Rachel thought that drugs would land her in the coolest circles in New York. This book made me laugh and cry and MK did a wonderful job with her brilliant portrayal of humanity. It's hilarious and witty and the insight into Rachel's addiction is very real. Great book.

10/03/2006 02:22:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Yikes my avatar is big! LOL. Anyway, I finally found out how to upload a picture in my profile :P

10/03/2006 02:26:00 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

I haven't had a chance to read the comments fully or sit down to write my own but I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this book. I read it awhile ago when VT recommended it and fell in love with Luke. I love him. Great story too.

On a side note, I think that the actress who played the first assistant in DEVIL WEARS PRADA would make a great Rachel if this were made into a movie.

Great book choice Bitches :)

10/03/2006 04:08:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

I loved Luke...thought he was fantastic, and would take him, even as a package with the Real Men.


I really enjoyed this book. I had previously read a few MK books, including Watermelon about the first Walsh sister. I thought Rachel's Holiday was a much better read than Watermelon. I now have Angels on request. It will be interesting to read about the seemingly uptight Margaret!

10/03/2006 04:24:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I absolutely love Luke. I think he's amazing and given the chance I would take him without even a blink. :P

The Cloisters part was hilarious. At first I was completely on Rachel's side, that she had been wrongly placed in a rehab for a recreational party habit. But then, you'll see more about Rachel's problem and how it affected those around her. Including her family and her love life.

Rachel's Holiday is absolutely my favorite MK. I love all of her books but Rachel's story touched me emotionally more than the rest. MK managed to combine serious subject with hilarious style without being too serious or corny. Great choice BBs!

10/04/2006 04:15:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I love Luke. I think he and I are perfect for each other. LOL

About the inmates at Cloisters, like Rachel, they're all in full denial that they have a problem. Come on, Rachel arrives there, skeptical that she needs treatment, and only agrees, thinking that a spa vacation might be nice after all. LOL But through both her own experiences and those of the other patients, we see Rachel's attitude gradually begin to change.

Poor Luke. He fell in love with Rachel, a drug addict in denial, who has destroyed her life and the lives of those around her.

I loved this book. From Rachel's very painful and slow path to recovery, to the many interesting people and colorful events that take place. I experienced the same emotions and feelings Rachel had: anger, fear, denial, shame, caution, compassion, hope and happiness. I think RH is an incredibly well written book packed full of characters that you can identify with. Can't wait for the next BBC! :)

10/04/2006 04:40:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

Btw, am I the only one who thought the epilogue was a bit forced? I felt like the book had one tone and a good ending then someone said "oy, we need a more romancy ending." Not that I don't like happy endings. LOL

10/04/2006 04:42:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Like everyone, I think Luke is fantastic. He is what I call an amazing catch and would like to actually get one someday. Ha!

Rachel like the other Cloister inmates is in deep denial and thinks that nothing is wrong with her. She has hit rock bottom and is forced to face her addictions, her issues with denial, and her life that has come apart at the seams.

I think the idea that just because this book is written about drug addiction and rehab, that it can't or shouldn't be funny is wrong. This book is so good because it's funny and because it is real and the readers learn to care for an inassuming heroine. MK is a great writer!

10/04/2006 12:27:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

Jordis, I actually loved the ending. :) Anyway great read!

10/04/2006 12:28:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

Oh I love the ending! Of course that's just me who loves romance so much. LOL

10/04/2006 03:16:00 PM