Friday, October 6, 2006

October list

Did I mention Trollop is driving me nuts lately? She’s either bossing me around every time we play Age of Empires (I’m working hard while she heartlessly kills her OWN villagers!!!—silence of the freaking lambs, I tell ya!) or she’s just being her annoying self making me jealous with her, “Ohhh babe, I’ll be able to travel from Madrid to London or Italy with JUST NINE DOLLARS!” Grrr. (Although that cheap price is mighty welcome when I go visit her next year. Heh. :P)

Anyway, I’ve been rereading my Dark-Hunter books for this month’s BBC. Did you guys get the books already? *g* For faster reading, just skip the anthologies and short stories; but gotta say, I actually liked some of them, especially those that feature Simi (I lub Simi! LOL). In any case, even with all those DH books, I still have a list of titles I’m dying to get my hands on (even though my TBR pile is so big I could literally get lost in there :/).
  • Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean
    The long-awaited sequel to J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan was released yesterday, and I’m looking forward to getting a copy. When Barrie died in 1937, he left the copyright and other intellectual property rights of PP to Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children. Royalties from the new book will be split between the author and GOSH, whose ownership of the rights to Barrie’s work is due to expire in 2007. BTW, did you know there are other Peter Pan sequels (unofficial though), and prequels too, including one by crime fiction writer Ridley Pearson and humorist Dave Barry called Peter and the Starcatchers. Mind you, GOSH receives no royalties from these U.S. publications.

  • The Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer
    Book 5 of the Artemis Fowl series.

  • The End by Lemony Snicket
    Book 13, last installment of the “Series of Unfortunate Events”; will be released on October 13.

  • Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett
    Book 3 of the Tiffany Aching series. Hmm, just realized this is the fourth children’s book in my list! LOL

  • I’m in No Mood for Love by Rachel Gibson
    I’m giving her another chance because this one has good reviews. I liked her older books (Simply Irresistible, See Jane Score), but the last book of hers I read, The Trouble with Valentines Day, was bleh.

  • Angel in a Red Dress by Judith Ivory
    I was so excited about this book; finally, after 4 years, JI was back! Yay! But apparently I was wrong and it isn’t a new novel. :/ Only a re-release of her out of print Starlit Surrender under a new title. Oh well, I don’t care; I don’t have a copy of SS anyway so I’m still getting this one. :P

  • The Courtesan by Susan Carroll
    I know this was released, like, forever ago, but I still don’t have a copy. *sniff*

  • The Silver Rose by Susan Carroll
    I simply love this author. I only have a couple of her books but the ones I’ve read are really good.

  • The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory
    Book 5 of her Tudor series; will be released on December 5.

  • Hot Dish by Connie Brockway
    November 7. I absolutely adore Brockway; she’s one of my favorite writers and still remains one of my auto-buy authors (and that list is getting shorter and shorter). I love all her books, especially All Through the Night. *sigh* This is the first time she has written a contemporary romance. Would that stop me from buying this book? Hell no! LOL

  • Drop Dead Gorgeous by Linda Howard
    Sequel to To Die For; will be released on November 28. I really hope this one is good because LH’s recent books haven’t been to my liking.
Of course Harry Potter book 7 is on the top of my list but lord knows when that’ll be released (argh, waiting for this book is pure torture!!!).

What about you guys? What have you been reading and/or what books are you looking forward to?

Labels: , ,


31 comment(s):

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Good list Harlot. I didn't know there's already a sequel for Peter Pan. As for my list, right now I can only remember Nora Robert's Valley of Silence since I pre-ordered that one.

10/06/2006 04:27:00 PM  

Blogger Nikky said...

I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only adult reader of Lemony Snicket! I was reading my kids' copies hidden behind closed doors for fear of being picked on!
LOL
(thanks for the heads up on the release date for it!!)

10/06/2006 05:03:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

I'm rereading The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory. I should read the DH books LOL. I too, like the rest of the world, am waiting for HP 7. Sigh. Isn't that supposed to be released on July next year? Or that's the 5th movie's released date? Either way, I CANNOT WAIT.

10/06/2006 05:11:00 PM  

Blogger ... said...

I just read Angel in a Red Dress; I liked it, although I wouldn't have minded a longer denouement (not that I wanted a second epilogue). I wonder if Bliss and Dance are going to be re-issued.

Waiting for A Deeper Sleep by Dana Stabenow to be published (in January, I think). Kate #14 or 15.

I don't know if I want the re-issued Tam Lin by Pamela Dean. I'm not loving the cover. But the one I have is falling apart a little.

Keeping an eye out on Billionaires Prefer Blondes by Suzanne Enoch. I thought the second one wasn't as good as the first book; hopefully this one picks up again. Also for The Learning Curve by Melissa Nathan, Eloisa James' new one, the new trade paperbacks of Robin McKinley's books (even though I already have all of them) because they're so pretty, Conrad's Fate and The Pinhoe Egg by Diana Wynne Jones, The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (since I loved A Northern Light), SEP... Not to mention everything I still have on my TBR pile.

Speaking of Peter Pan, I just watched Finding Neverland last week (yes, I'm a bit behind). It was wonderful. I cried buckets.

10/06/2006 05:15:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

The Winter Rose was a fantastic read...even better than The Tea Rose IMO.

As for what I have been reading, I won't list them all, but the best book I've read recently is The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield...really, really good!

As for what's on my TBR list, I am really looking forward to reading Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik - the second book in her Temeraire series. Also Lover Eternal by JR Ward - the second brotherhood book! The Silver Rose by Susan Carroll - loved the first two in the Fair Isle trilogy...must hurry up and read the third. I also have The Boleyn Inheritance out from the library...along with about 20 other books! That should do for now, although I could go on and on and on and on!

10/06/2006 05:43:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Just Nik,
I too love Lemony Snicket. He's morbid LOL but his books are fascinating.


AYAMTD,
OMG *gasp* how could i forget THE WINTER ROSE??? I lovelovelove THE TEA ROSE, it's one of my fave books. I even listed that on my profile LOL. About FINDING NEVERLAND, good movie. Of course most of the time was just staring at Johnny. *sigh*


Marg,
Better than THE TEA ROSE? Ohhh, i have got to get a copy!!!

Btw, been meaning to ask you, any news about Paullina? New book please? :D

10/06/2006 06:01:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

Tatiana's Table is supposed to be out in December. It is going to be a collection of anecdotes from Tatiana, along with some of the recipes for food that got talked about in the series. Once again only out here for now though!

And yes, I thought that Winter Rose was better than The Tea Rose!!

Here's a link to my review of it -

http://readingadventures.blogspot.com/2006/08/winter-rose-by-jennifer-donnelly.html

10/06/2006 06:27:00 PM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

I have to say I'm waiting for Stephen King's newest, Lisey's Story. I've always liked his books. :P As for romance, JK Ward's Lover Awakened, Into the Storm by Suzanne Brockmann, SEP's newest. What's the title of that one btw? LOL I have no clue.

I'm reading Kleypas book Scandal in Spring. After that, I'll start with the dark hunter books for BBC. ;)

10/06/2006 06:52:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently finished a surpisingly wonderful book, THE SECOND COMING OF LUCY HATCH, by Marsha Moyer and looking forward to reading the sequel. Luurrvv her writing!
And I'm starting THE CORINTHIAN, by Georgett Heyer today.

I'm also looking forward to EJ's, even if it's just to look at the hot cover :P and of course S Enoch's too.
I'm going to pick up all the SK's I can at the UBS and see if they also have the JR Ward. If I love them, I'll buy new.
Nice topic, Harlot

10/06/2006 07:59:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

The Tea Rose? I've never heard of this book. But now that Harlot mentioned it, I'm sure I've read it on her profile, but that's it.

I just got two Charlaine Harris books, Grave Surprise, and Grace Sight. Enjoying them so far. I'll be reading Kenyon's books too so I could particate in the BBC. Btw Harlot, my brother is addicted to Age of Empires! LOL

10/06/2006 07:59:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Re: I recently finished a surpisingly wonderful book, THE SECOND COMING OF LUCY HATCH, by Marsha Moyer

Tami, what is this book about? And is it romance? Historical fiction? Regency? Contemporary? I love a good recommendation. :)

10/06/2006 08:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harlot, maybe I'll try the contemp CBrockaway. Most of the authors who have "crossed over" to contemp do it very well IMO

OH, and I love EJ's writing so it wouldn't even matter if that Andre guy was on the cover. I'd just have to hide it with a pic of Raoul :P

10/06/2006 08:09:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danielle, ...LUCY HATCH is definitely a romance. The hero, Ash Farrell, (possibly Matt's bro *wink*) is refreshingly unique and to-die-for and M Moyer is an extremely talented writer IMO. The book is categorized as fiction on the cover. I found it via a strong rec from T Medeiros at Squawker radio.

10/06/2006 08:15:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Harlot, I love Susan Caroll! Her Cheney sisters trilogy were superbly written. I hope you get copies of the two sequels soon.

I'm reading Shana Abe's The Dream Thief and I am loving it! This is the sequel of The Smoke Thief and if you liked that one, I think this second book is even better. I'll be reading the darkhunter books afterwards. I already got a couple of the books and will definitely start with them after TDT. :)

10/06/2006 08:26:00 PM  

Blogger Danielle De Barbarac said...

Thanks Tami! I've never heard of this author but I'm definitely interested especially when the hero was described as Matt Farrell's possible brother. LOL

10/06/2006 08:41:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

Danielle, The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose are by Jennifer Connelly and well worth getting hold of. They are Historical Fiction, set in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Really good!

I've been reading Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series and really like them, so I will be trying to get the Grave books as well eventually.

10/06/2006 09:13:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For anybody interested in the ...LUCY HATCH, books, click on the BBB's link to Squawk radio, then scroll all the way down their side bar to "search" using key word lucy hatch, then click the "Saturday book blog". Teresa Medeiros gives a wonderful review and synposis. It's well worth a looksee :D

10/06/2006 10:34:00 PM  

Blogger T-girl said...

You know all that and what I got was... "Ryan Air rocks" and "oh you all play "Age" also????? I LOVE age and just got the new version, so puthetic I make the baby wait for her food or shove "bottles" at her so I can win campaigns! Least I am not killing my own villagers... well least not on purpose! LOL

10/07/2006 01:18:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

I recently finished Mitch Albom's newest book, For One More Day. In Harlot talk, it was bleh. Not that you won't choke up here and there, but the book is not Tuesdays with Morrie. Actually come to think of it, FOMD is similar to his other book, The 5 People You Meet in Heaven, tweaked a little bit with a new title. ACK!

10/07/2006 03:10:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I'm reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Night Play for BBC. I forgot how much I love this book! Vane is so sexy. Sigh. I don't care if he's a wolfboy, he is so hot! :P

10/07/2006 03:21:00 AM  

Blogger Polly King said...

Oh yeah, the BBC books. I should start with those. I need something fun and sexy after reading Albom's book. And please some hot men! Anyway, I should skip the anthologies then? But I like to read series books in order. Hmmmm, what to do, what to do...

10/07/2006 03:28:00 AM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Marg,
Thanks for that. :D You know i still don't have THE SUMMER GARDEN. *sigh* Anyway, i'm waiting for PS's new novel. Seems so long. :(

Oh, Tracy Chevalier has a new book too, BURNING BRIGHT. After 4 long years, geesh. Why is it that it's authors i like that are not so prolific? :S


Tami,
Hope you get the DH books. They're hot. ;) About Brockway, she is FANTABULOUS. I lub her. You might want to try ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT. Fantastic book, wildly romantic, and it's kinky! LOL :P


Danielle,
THE TEA ROSE is reall good! And i'm not the only one saying it is. Even Marg said so. :P


T-girl,
Trollop's a psycho-maniac! I think she kills the villagers for meat. :/ Like i said, silence of the lambs!!!

10/07/2006 08:53:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read Hot Night by Shannon McKenna. And now, I'm with Aggie and in need of some hottie pics too. Yoohoo Harlot ;)

Olly

10/07/2006 10:27:00 AM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

That's a good list Harlot. I just read Janet Evanovich's Motor Mouth and now reading Fantasy Lover. So far so good. I'm waiting for Nora Robert's Born in Death, Katie McAlister's Light My Fire, and PG's Boleyn Inheritance.

10/07/2006 12:29:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

I've recently finshed SEP's Match Me and loved it. Now I'm waiting for Dean's book. You know while reading MM, I can't help but think of Dean as Kevin Tucker. I mean he's like Kevin in Nobody's Baby but Mine. Anyway I'm also waiting for JD Robb's Born in Death.

10/08/2006 03:26:00 PM  

Blogger Marg said...

Harlot, the offer to get The Summer Garden for you still stands!! I am waiting for the Tracy Chevalier book too!

10/08/2006 04:59:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to go out on a limb and guesstimate/predict that the 7th installment in the Harry Potter series will be released on July 7th, 2007 (7/7/07) which just so happens to be a Saturday - - which is the day the last few HP's have been released on instead of the traditional Tuesday release for MOST new media. (books, cd's, dvd's etc.)

10/08/2006 07:22:00 PM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Isn't July 7 the aniversary of the London bombings?

10/09/2006 01:17:00 PM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I got this from the Hpana site:
http://www.hpana.com/news.19200.html

Harry Potter 7 will be released July 7, 2007.

At least, it should be. While this date has no doubt already crossed the minds of many fans, JK Rowling's recent revelation that "2006 will be the year" she writes the final book lends itself entirely to this theory.

That, and it is the biggest stroke of magical marketing luck so far this century. The book simply can't not be released on 07/07/07. It's too perfect.

It just so happens that July 7, 2007 is a Saturday. It just so happens that every Potter book since Goblet of Fire has been released on a Saturday (presumably to allow kids and their parents to attend those midnight release parties without undue hardship). It just so happens that July 7 falls right in the traditional June-July release window during which the other books were released. (Finally, while less relevant but still interesting, 12:00 a.m. on Saturday will be 7 p.m. Friday in the U.S., where the most Potter books have been sold to date. Fans on the east coast, already lined up to buy their copies, will see book 7 released across the pond at 7 p.m. local time - what a coincidence.)

Rowling has hinted at the significance of the number 7, most recently in August when her official site's Wizard of the Month was an arithmancer who discovered the number's magical properties. In Half-Blood Prince, it was revealed that Lord Voldemort had made seven horcruxes (himself included). Quidditch teams have seven players each. Gryffindor Tower's entrance is on the seventh floor at Hogwarts. The list goes on and on.

I can see it now: the biggest marketing campaign in the history of publishing, with one very short, very simple, very effective message: Book 7. 07/07/07. Woe betide the marketing departments at Bloomsbury and Scholastic if they don't clinch what's obviously the most perfect storm of circumstance, desire, product and marketing the world may ever know.

Not that the book needs to be released on any specific date, though. As one of the planet's most successful authors, Rowling probably has the luxury of turning in a manuscript no sooner than when she sees fit. Fans will line up when told to. And it's up to her editors and publishers to polish, prepare and print it. One last consideration, from a business standpoint, is to ask if it makes sense to bump up against the next movie's release (and Order of the Phoenix will be in theatres July 13, 2007). Unfortunately, July 7 will also be the two-year anniversary of the London terrorist bombings (thanks to a reader for pointing that out).

No true fan would begrudge Jo for taking her time. But I must wonder if she also feels this coincidental "aligning of the fates" is something special, something magical, something to take advantage of. As a fan, I can only hope she does.

10/09/2006 05:34:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Jordis, thanks for that. :D I also think July 7 is a perfect date to release book 7. But yeah, they would surely consider the London bombings.

About the 5th movie's opening date too close with book 7's release, I think, if push comes to shove, the movie will give way to the book. There won't be any movies without the books anyway.

10/09/2006 06:52:00 PM  

Blogger Lily Moon said...

Besides HP 7, I still don't have Every Breath You Take and I'm a big fan of McNaught. Though I've heard that the book sucks. :(

Jordis, thanks for the news! I agree with Harlot, book 7 is more important than movie 5.

10/09/2006 07:28:00 PM