Friday, October 13, 2006

Acheron

travis05


**This is one of the spoilers for Ash’s upcoming book Sherrilyn Kenyon put out for her fans (you won’t find this from her site or any of the Dark-Hunter novels). It’s narrated by Ryssa, Ash’s sister.
***For another spoiler, you can read the “Sex Balls” excerpt here. *g*



June 21, 9527 BC

We were out in the orchard today. In truth, we had spent the entire morning there, laughing and sampling the gardener’s prized fruit.

The orchard was so beautiful, peaceful. The leaves were a bright, breathtaking green that was punctuated by the red and golden apples that burst with sweet, succulent taste. Even the old, stone walls were tranquil, draped with flowering vines. No wonder Acheron prefers it to any other place at the palace. The summer air was fresh and warm and I could spend hours watching the way Acheron enjoys the simplest of things such as the sensation of sunlight on his skin. Grass beneath his bare feet. Of course, his life held far too little of either one. How I wish I could have given him another life. A better one. The life he deserved where no one had ever hurt him for things he couldn’t help. Where people could see in him all the beauty that I see and know what a truly gentle soul he has. He’s not the monster they fear. He’s just a boy in need of a good home and parents to love him in spite of his abnormalities.


travis06


As I watched him inhale the scent of an apple before he added it to the bunch he’d picked, I was struck with how much he had changed these few months. For once, he reminded me of a youthful fourteen-year-old boy and not a jaded, used up old man.

He had learned to finally trust me. To trust in the fact that here he was safe and secure. That no one here feared him. He could be himself without being obsequious or afraid of being grabbed or hurt.


travis07


Oh the pain I feel whenever I think of his life in Atlantis. How could our Uncle have treated him that way? I can still see Acheron held in chains. See the shallow emptiness that was there in his eyes the first time he looked at me when he had no idea who I was. Who he was.

I might have failed him earlier, but I vowed I would not fail him again. Here, he knows peace and happiness. Here, I will try my best to keep him far way from the world that cannot understand or abide him. While he picked the apples, he reminded me of the squirrel as he jumped from tree to tree, gathering his treasure. He was such a handsome boy. In my heart I know that he and Styxx are twins, and yet as I watched him, I was struck by their differences. Acheron moved much more gracefully. Fluidly. He was leaner, his hair a tad more golden, his muscles more defined. His skin softer. And those eyes... They were beguiling and terrifying.


travis10


After he was done, he brought his treasure to me and laid it out in a circle so that I could choose which apples I wanted first. He was always considerate that way. Thinking of others before himself. But then they had trained him that way. In Atlantis, Acheron had no will of his own. He had existed there as an animal who was only abused for the entertainment of others.

“Do you think Father will come and visit soon?” he asked as he lay on his side, watching me eat my apple. I could sense that he was probing me to see if I were lying. His silvery, swirling eyes were so disturbing whenever he held that gimlet stare. No wonder Uncle beat him for looking at people. It was so disconcerting and even frightening to be under such bold scrutiny. But he didn’t deserve to be hit for something he couldn’t help.


travis03


“He will come when he can.”

He looked away, disappointed as he toyed with his own apple. I wasn’t sure how much longer I could keep up my lying to both of them. Father thought I was here alone and that I wanted time to myself before my coming marriage. Acheron had no idea that I was keeping his presence here a secret and that I lived daily in fear of our discovery.

Wanting to soothe and reassure him, I reached out to brush his golden hair out of his eyes. He stiffened ever so slightly as a remnant of the boy I had found in Atlantis. I withdrew my hand from him which caused him relax instantly.


travis08


“Is that the tenderness of true affection you spoke of?” he asked me in hesitant voice. “The one where people who love you, touch you without asking for anything in return?” “Yes,” I answered. He smiled at me, open and honestly like a child. “I think I like it.”

And it was then that I heard something that made my heart stop beating. There were footsteps drawing near. I knew there shouldn’t be any such sound in our temporary paradise. The servants wouldn’t venture here while the two of us were picking apples. They knew better than to disturb the royal family. Only one person would come.


travis09


And I knew it was Father the instant Acheron sat up, his face overjoyed. I closed my eyes and ached in terror as I forced myself to stand and turn around to confront him. His face angry Father stood between the old stone columns that marked the opening of the orchard with Styxx by his side. My blood froze in my veins. I wanted to tell Acheron to run and hide, but it was too late. They were already too close.

“Father,” I said quietly. “Why are you here?”

“Where have you been?” he demanded as he moved forward. “It is already the middle of the year and no one has seen you.”

“I told you, I wanted time—”


travis02


“Father?” Acheron’s excited voice filled my ears. This was the first time the boy had ever seen him. Up until now, Acheron had held no real idea of what Father had looked like. Horrified, I watched him run to embrace his father. Unlike Acheron, I knew what reception he would receive. True to my fear, Father shoved him away ruthlessly and raked him with a repugnant grimace. Acheron frowned in confusion as he looked to me for an explanation. I couldn’t speak. How could I tell him that I had lied to him when all I had wanted was to make his life better? “What is he doing here?” Father demanded. I opened my mouth to explain, but was distracted by the way the twins studied each other. I was held entranced by their mutual curiosity. Even though each of them knew the other existed, they hadn’t been together in over a decade. Neither of them really remembered what it was like to see and interact with the other one. Joy was etched on Acheron’s face. I could tell he wanted to embrace Styxx, but after Father’s reception was hesitant. Styxx looked less than enthusiastic. He stared at Acheron as if he were a bad dream made real.


travis01


“Guards!” Father shouted.

“What are you doing?” I asked, unable to comprehend why my father would summon guards for his own son. “I’m sending him back where he belongs.”

Acheron’s jaw went slack. My heart thumped wildly in fear of his being taken back there. “You can’t do that.” Father turned on me with a hateful glare. “Have you lost your mind, woman? Why would you coddle such a monster?”

“Father, please,” Acheron begged, falling down on his knees before him. He wrapped his arms around Father’s leg as his eyes filled with tears. “Please don’t send me back. I’ll do anything you ask. I swear it. I’ll be good. I won’t look at anyone. I won’t hurt anyone. I swear.”


travis04


“I am not your father, maggot,” Father said cruelly as he kicked Acheron away. He turned on me with venom. “I told you, he doesn’t belong to this family. Those are not my eyes. Those are not the eyes of a human!”

“Styxx,” I said, knowing if I could win him to my cause, he could sway Father’s opinion of Acheron. “He’s your brother. Look at him.”

Styxx shook his head. “I have no brother.”


Related:

Labels: , ,


22 comment(s):

Blogger Vanessa said...

Hmmmm....This is good, some background about Ash. But the more I know about Ash, the more I get confused! LOL. When is his book gonna be released anyway?

Harlot, love the eye candy! :D

10/13/2006 11:15:00 AM  

Blogger Menchie said...

Vanessa,

His book will be released sometime next year. SK said it's gonna be around 800 pages long -- don't know how true that is. :D

10/13/2006 11:29:00 AM  

Blogger Vanessa said...

800??? Wow that's long! Thanks Menchie!

You know, I looked for upcoming dark hunter books and the one I found is titled "The Dream Hunter". It'll be released on February 2007. I'm pretty sure that's not Ash's book....

10/13/2006 11:37:00 AM  

Blogger Lollie Rose said...

Isn't this the same guy who played Tarzan on WB? Young but hot. Harlot, thanks for the excerpt!

10/13/2006 12:17:00 PM  

Blogger Rachel said...

HOT! :P

10/13/2006 01:19:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Menchie,
I'm with Petra, what i know is there's gonna be two books for Ash. So what's up with that 800 pages? Did SK decide to publish the two books in one volume? :D


Lollie,
He played Tarzan? Really? Hmm, didn't know that. I do know Travis used to be the face (and body) of CK.

10/13/2006 02:27:00 PM  

Blogger Harlot said...

Btw, is Ash's book(/s) still gonna be released on 2007? I was just at SK's site and it says there for next year, the two DH books that are gonna be released are:

- THE DREAM HUNTER, Arik's story
- Sin's story

No mention of Ash's book/s. :/

10/13/2006 02:32:00 PM  

Blogger Girlie said...

Oh Mama! I want me some of those.

10/13/2006 02:36:00 PM  

Blogger Lorelei said...

Oh yummy! Me want penty of those. :P

10/13/2006 02:47:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

OMG Travis Fimmel! You know, I used to have a crush on this guy. I love his CK ads epecially those where he's only wearing briefs. LOL I forgot how hot he is! I love that last photo where he's upside down. :D Thanks BBs!

10/13/2006 02:56:00 PM  

Blogger C Bradshaw said...

About this excerpt, where did you get it, Harlot? BTW, I remember Styxx from Night Embrace but I didn't know Ash has a sister.

10/13/2006 02:57:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bitches, loving the BBC books, good excerpt and great pics! I love Ash lol!

Olly

10/13/2006 03:54:00 PM  

Blogger Claudia said...

i'm sorry....but I didn't read any of it...just looked at all the pretty pictures!!

10/13/2006 04:10:00 PM  

Blogger Ladybug said...

I'm not usually into guys with long hair but I would love to run my hands through this guy's mane. LOL! Thanks for the pics, Harlot!

10/13/2006 04:50:00 PM  

Blogger Isabella said...

Great pics! Now can I please have him? LOL BBs, thanks for the excerpt!

10/13/2006 06:01:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash's book is supposed to be one big book..with the first being about when he was alive and the second after his death...it is supposed to come out after Sin's book in 2007...it is a "special" book so its not on the list....also SK is going to have a free e book about Nick available on her site

10/13/2006 07:45:00 PM  

Blogger Serendipity said...

Well, when I see eye candy like this, I have to see the pictures 5 times, then I read what Harlot wrote. Otherwise, I end up wasting my time trying to read and they all come out gibberish.

Who can concentrate on words when there's oggling to be done?

10/14/2006 12:16:00 AM  

Blogger Jordis Juice said...

I recognize that first pic, it's in SK's site, Acheron and Artemis. :P Sigh, love the eye candy!

10/14/2006 08:44:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is on her message board about the e book...so i am not sure when it will be out...actually i didnt care for either nick or ash after DSOTM

10/14/2006 11:47:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash's book is going to come out in December of 2007. Yikes! I dont know if I can wait that long!

12/05/2006 11:15:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must read "The Dream Hunter." it gives a little hint (her name has an "A" on it) of who Ash's heroine might be! Really good background story on this one in prep for Ash's 2 books that will be released (hopefully) in December 2007! Can't hardly wait!

And the E-book of Nick's story (Fear the Darkness) was up until January 31st 2007 -- not sure if you can still download it!

2/10/2007 06:10:00 PM  

Blogger Queen Bee said...

I loved his book, bawled my eyes out. Great great book

8/09/2008 06:04:00 AM